Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 11th September 2018, 18:13   #901  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

And I believe MABS even only selects -O2.

MSYS2 can't include GCC 8.2.0 in the 32-bit branch because it doesn't build itself without errors. I like how MABS keeps MSYS2 up-to-date before updating and compiling the projects. I don't want to miss this feature completely due to very rare compiler issues limiting the speed of the generated code; ultimately it has to be fixed in GCC, and when this happens, MABS will update MSYS2 to it.

I could dig in my archives and find an older MSYS with GCC 7.x too, but I don't want to stuff my drive for a rather little reason. I hope I am not the only provider of binaries...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 11th September 2018 at 18:21.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 18:32   #902  |  Link
SmilingWolf
I am maddo saientisto!

Nope, the only custom GCC flags MABS uses are the ones that won't cause UMA (because typing unaligned memory access all the time is tiring): https://github.com/jb-alvarado/media...ompile.sh#L837
Every other compiler flag is left to the default, which implies -O3

Anyway, I think I have almost worked out what's wrong with issue 2145 and might be able to propose a temporay fix and an explanation shortly. So that would be one out of everybody's hair

As for binaries, as I said I can compile 64bit stuff on my VM now (the first ones are right above, in my first post), if there's need for something particular I guess I can tweak my setup. E.g. I might be able to stuff an extra 32bit toolchain on the VM. Just, no WinXP support, please

Last edited by SmilingWolf; 11th September 2018 at 18:36.
SmilingWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 18:54   #903  |  Link
easyfab

with MABS, personnaly I create a custom_build_options file ( see L. 63-66 media-suite_compile.sh) with

export CFLAGS="-march=native -O3 -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 03:50   #904  |  Link
TD-Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
1) there is a general lack of configurable settings and I heard some rumor that this might actually be somewhat a policy (like the nonexistent user-facing configurabiltiy in Theora?) and not just effect of being early in development.
I plan to add debugging options exactly for the purpose of getting feedback from users - the first obvious thing to add is the internal cdef-dist parameters to tune them. That said, they will remain debug options - for example, we may change how cdef-dist works internally when we find a better way to do it, and that will break the options. If you find a combination of debug options that looks better, I'd rather you report it as a bug and we use that information to change the defaults.

BTW we are getting segmentation soon - once we get it I'll let you know, it'll make the effect of cdef-dist far stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarinka View Post
2) a smaller thing: there is very little feedback given by the commandline encoder. A FPS counter probably isn't completely important, but there is one thing that really would help with testing, and that is a achieved bitrate being reported at the end. I was rather suprised Rav1e didn't report this, because I wanted to encode a comparison clip with 2pass with another encoder and this is rather complicating. I have to figure it out based on filesize but the output's already in a container that has some unknown overhead... I used bitrate calculator like in 2006 but note that those generally only have 1 second precision, which is not very exact for short testing samples.
I would happily take patches for this. That said, the top priority is actually to get it integrated with ffmpeg, which will give you a printout of the framerate and bitrate, plus allow muxing and many more input formats.
TD-Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 09:19   #905  |  Link
SmilingWolf
I am maddo saientisto!

av1-1.0.0-552-gbb82e05fb: https://mega.nz/#!99ASgKAJ!l7Lc4n9KE...9FgrYxXAEaoByw

As promised, the explanation for BUG=aomedia:2145 has dropped. Does anybody know if one of x264/x86inc.asm maintainers could take a look?
There are some contacts in the header of the file, I suppose my best bet is e-mailing Henrik Gramner, who seems responsible for most of the recent commits, yes?
Old 12th September 2018, 09:40   #906  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If a register is being used has to be flagged by the ASM function in question (in its cglobal line), x86inc.asm cannot detect that automatically, the code has to tell it. If its not pushing regs that are in fact being used, then the cglobal line may be wrong. From the code it looks like the macro is being passed a "7" for numbers of register used, while RSI would be the 9th in their counting (ie. r8). I don't see it directly being used in quantize_b, but it maybe used behind a symbolic name to load a parameter.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:47   #907  |  Link
SmilingWolf
I am maddo saientisto!

Cr*p and I just sent a mail to Henrik.

Yes, RSI is used here for dequantq

Ok let me test that real quick.
Thanks for the input!
Old 12th September 2018, 09:58   #908  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If dequant is the highest parameter being used, changing the 7 to a 9 at the end of the file might be all that is needed.
Old 12th September 2018, 10:03   #909  |  Link
SmilingWolf
I am maddo saientisto!

YES! Fix confirmed!

EDIT: and patch sent: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/aomedia/...ail?id=2145#c7

Last edited by SmilingWolf; 12th September 2018 at 10:14.
Old 12th September 2018, 12:29   #910  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingWolf View Post
av1-1.0.0-552-gbb82e05fb: https://mega.nz/#!99ASgKAJ!l7Lc4n9KE...9FgrYxXAEaoByw

As promised, the explanation for BUG=aomedia:2145 has dropped. Does anybody know if one of x264/x86inc.asm maintainers could take a look?
There are some contacts in the header of the file, I suppose my best bet is e-mailing Henrik Gramner, who seems responsible for most of the recent commits, yes?
Hello. Can you compile static lib for use with any project, like ffmpeg ?? I need x86/x64 AV1 decoder only.

I don't know why - but on my home/work PC i can't compile, cmake error on AVX2(my PC don't support AVX2).
Old 12th September 2018, 13:11   #911  |  Link
marcomsousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
I like more the second round testing at lower data rates and this comment:

Quote:
You should focus your tests on the data rates at which your video will most likely be deployed. At this point, H.264 and any newer codec should produce near perfect quality at 6 Mbps, making that data rate irrelevant for forward-looking testing. HEVC and VP9 take the near perfect quality level down to between 3.5Mbps to 4Mbps, and AV1 and future codecs should bring this down into the 2Mbps to 3.5Mbps range.
marcomsousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 13:50   #912  |  Link
SmilingWolf
I am maddo saientisto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
Hello. Can you compile static lib for use with any project, like ffmpeg ?? I need x86/x64 AV1 decoder only.

I don't know why - but on my home/work PC i can't compile, cmake error on AVX2(my PC don't support AVX2).
You should post a log and some infos on your building env. Missing AVX2 at compile or even configure time looks like an outdated version of GCC rather than an issue with your CPU.
Maybe there is an older version/toolchain in your $PATH that's interfering?
GCC 7/8 can emit AVX2 instructions even when running on an old Pentium 4.

Last edited by SmilingWolf; 12th September 2018 at 13:58.
Old 12th September 2018, 14:06   #913  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Use VS 2017 or GCC 8.2.0 - there is no difference.
Old 12th September 2018, 14:18   #914  |  Link
SmilingWolf
I am maddo saientisto!

Can you post the full cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" etc. etc. log on pastebin as it appears on screen?
Or, better/more complete, the contents of <yourBuildDir>/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log and CMakeOutput.log?

Last edited by SmilingWolf; 12th September 2018 at 14:21.
Old 12th September 2018, 18:35   #915  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Decoding using vlc nightly on the above ~1 Mbps 1080p encode from YouTube is working very well - takes about 10% CPU on my i7-6700k
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 19:05   #916  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
The era of HW encoders is behind us. HEVC was too complex to do with ASIC or even with GPU pixel shaders. Encoding with modern complex codecs like AV1 is going to be CPU, and maybe FPGA.
How can something be too complex for ASIC? (And not for FPGA, which is essentially an ASIC you can program)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Holy cow, as soon as the extensions get support I'm going to be downloading everything both ways and testing. Hopefully AV1 broad release lives up to its promise.
Why not just download with youtube-dl?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 19:22   #917  |  Link
mzso

Is there some hidden way on youtube to find AV1 encoded videos? (I vaguely remember that they used to have something for VP9 when it was deployed)

Anyways, did anyone find more videos on Youtube than the one posted before?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 00:31   #918  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Can you post the full cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" etc. etc. log on pastebin as it appears on screen?
Or, better/more complete, the contents of <yourBuildDir>/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log and CMakeOutput.log?
cmake output - https://pastebin.com/spXmNAJS

CMakeError.log - https://pastebin.com/aPnpqnGF

CMakeOutput.log - https://pastebin.com/JpnNx4Xm

P.S. i think some message test on russian and we can't see it in CMake logs
Old 13th September 2018, 02:10   #919  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Why not just download with youtube-dl?
I think foxyshadis was referring to the availability of MSE decoders in the browsers.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 04:29   #920  |  Link
marcomsousa

Quote:
YES! Fix confirmed!

EDIT: and patch sent: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/aomedia/...ail?id=2145#c7
Yours two patch requests was merge in master, congrats.
marcomsousa is offline   Reply With Quote