Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th May 2016, 02:42   #37741  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Don't know. If we quit asking what's next, maybe madshi would release a stable version. It already does everything I would want it to.
I don't believe in perfection.

All versions have been fairly stable for me.

As long as things always improve, there is no need to release a final or a best version, but to keep improving.

New interesting things that can be added are all around the place. Even more now with more powerful GPUs coming.

EDIT ::: Maybe, at some point, have the render re-draw the image from games, or other applications instead of only MPC-HC. Adding more software it can work with would be interesting.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 08:14   #37742  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'm not trying to learn anything.
But take responsibility to declare that someone is wrong. No more questions.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 09:55   #37743  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxrn View Post
I heard madshi planned on making a "add black bars" feature, but I'm not sure if it's still is on the table or not.

If that feature never sees the light of day, is there a smooth way to manually add black bars to a movie by encoding it? E.g., encode a movie in 2.35:1 format (1920x816) and add black borders so the result is 16:9 (1920x1080).

This would be great since subtitles are non-proportional and smaller when rendered on non-1080p content with XySubFilter.
madshi definitely stated it was coming. We just need to be patient.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 10:13   #37744  |  Link
XMonarchY

How does madVR compare to FBI/CIA high-tech software used to magnify photos, zoom-in and clean-up images from a barely discernable state to a very clear/clean state? Or is it only in movies / TV Shows?
Old 5th May 2016, 10:26   #37745  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
How does madVR compare to FBI/CIA high-tech software used to magnify photos, zoom-in and clean-up images from a barely discernable state to a very clear/clean state? Or is it only in movies / TV Shows?
Offline processing where you can spend seconds or even minutes on a single image is always going to have quite different possibilities not achieveable in realtime video playback.

But most of that is TV only anyway.
Old 5th May 2016, 13:15   #37746  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Offline processing where you can spend seconds or even minutes on a single image is always going to have quite different possibilities not achieveable in realtime video playback.

But most of that is TV only anyway.
It's my impression that the CSI tvshow created a myth that simply does not exist, we've all seen CCTV pictures of terrorists in the news and PQ is no better than bilinear.

But then again this looks impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQgpHg3VKs made using https://www.motiondsp.com/ikena-forensic/

But much like vinyl declicking/denoising audio demos that are always hard to believe, either intel agencies don't share those processed pictures at all or it's all a bunch of bs.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 19:38   #37747  |  Link
baii

I am no expert but I think even if they have some advanced image processing technique, they are probably looking for different thing like pattern or letter recognition, not to look good for the eyes.
And there is no magic out there, as you are always limited by pixels and TV often shown they can make thing out of nothing.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 20:14   #37748  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

The big theory is called Super-Resolution as I understand it and it uses informations from previous frames in order to increase details but I have yet to see it used IRL and especially disclosed by intel agencies so again either it's all a big theoretical myth or they refuse to share the results possibly due to NDA's. Not something that will happen in real-time using mVR anyway so case closed I guess, NNEDI3 is as good as it's gonna get for our GPU's.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 20:46   #37749  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
But take responsibility to declare that someone is wrong. No more questions.
Yes, yes... I was wrong. They added support for a non standardized YCbCr format in HDMI 1.4.

Now we can all be friends again.

Last edited by Stereodude; 5th May 2016 at 20:50.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 21:37   #37750  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

In the middle of a film the other day an update came up on my screen, I just said yes to it thinking it was for JRiver...
Two days later felt my image was looking softer, I opened up madvr to discover the version was different and many of my settings had changed.
When I went to the sharpness tabs I see that there are extra settings in there Ive never seen, ringing plus others I forget.
Was there a resent update a week ago?
Can these updates arrive while playing a movie?
What are these new settings I see and is there an explanation for them somewhere?

Many thanks...
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 21:46   #37751  |  Link
Uoppi

The latest madVR build (v0.90.17) is from March 25.

Last edited by Uoppi; 5th May 2016 at 21:49.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 22:00   #37752  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
The latest madVR build (v0.90.17) is from March 25.
It would be great to have some news about madshi and madVR on the forum.
However madshi is still active on his bug tracker.

Quote:
Will keep this open for some future time. OSD will be redesigned at some point.
Right now I'm concentrated on algorithms and stuff, so no time for OSD at the moment.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 22:02   #37753  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Was there a resent update a week ago?
madVR has no auto-update. Not sure who/what is messing with your system, but something sounds sketchy to me

QB
Old 6th May 2016, 00:51   #37754  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
madVR has no auto-update. Not sure who/what is messing with your system, but something sounds sketchy to me

QB
Seems strange to me, there is no one else in the house to play with my system!

How do I find out then what these "other" new settings are for on the sharpness page that wernt there before the update? Where do I go to get the explanations of the new settings?
Old 6th May 2016, 01:17   #37755  |  Link
oddball

I still have the issue with MadVR on Windows 10 with AMD. I can only run it in they way I normally run it by using DX11 mode. If I set it to anything else I get a blank video on my HDTV using FSE. If I turn off delay by number of frames in FSE settings it works. But then if I switch back to windowed mode on the primary display MPC-HC crashes/hangs with the busy circle (but I can still get into MadVR settings when this happens). Also if I enabled delay playback in DX11 mode MPC-HC just hangs with the busy circle as soon as it goes FSE on the HDTV.

I have tried rolling back drivers, MadVR and MPC etc with no effect. I am beginning to wonder if something changed in one of the Windows 10 updates recently to cause this. I never had this issue before I don't think.

Any advice?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 01:28   #37756  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Seems strange to me, there is no one else in the house to play with my system!

How do I find out then what these "other" new settings are for on the sharpness page that wernt there before the update? Where do I go to get the explanations of the new settings?
Anti-bloating is the only new setting. This reduces the fatness created by line sharpeners. Not needed for crispen edges, which is already "skinny."

At 1080p -> 1080p, I like sharpen edges (0.5) + 50% AB + AR. Others may prefer crispen edges (0.5) + AR.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 02:21   #37757  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
The big theory is called Super-Resolution as I understand it and it uses informations from previous frames in order to increase details but I have yet to see it used IRL and especially disclosed by intel agencies so again either it's all a big theoretical myth or they refuse to share the results possibly due to NDA's. Not something that will happen in real-time using mVR anyway so case closed I guess, NNEDI3 is as good as it's gonna get for our GPU's.
One technique doesn't use previous frames, but different frames taken of the same subject under same lighting at similar angles. You sub everything up together for amazing effects. The technique doesn't really apply to video much, but hot damn if it doesn't perform black magic.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...32063315003591

Otherwise, lots of video can be cleaned up if you know the artifacts to be from optics rather than from signal compression. Also entirely useless for movies, unless you want to make an anti-shaking camera filter.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2011/10...new-video.html

On topic: I've been trying out the super-xbr antibloat option a bit more. For low-res sources (480p or lower), sxbr AB is fantastic. It has a drastic effect on reducing line bloat. For 720p and higher, its effects are less visible and don't always outweight the weird ringing artifacts it causes. The performance cost of AB vs no AB is also pretty substantial at the moment, but I can't see why that couldn't change in the future.

Last edited by har3inger; 6th May 2016 at 02:25.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 02:22   #37758  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Anti-bloating is the only new setting. This reduces the fatness created by line sharpeners. Not needed for crispen edges, which is already "skinny."

At 1080p -> 1080p, I like sharpen edges (0.5) + 50% AB + AR. Others may prefer crispen edges (0.5) + AR.
Thank you Warner...
So at 1080p > 1080p you never use sharpen edges + crispen edges at the same time?
Old 6th May 2016, 05:29   #37759  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:

I hope you don't mind if I steal your description of anti-bloat?

Last edited by Asmodian; 6th May 2016 at 07:09.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 08:19   #37760  |  Link
Uoppi

1) Is there consensus if any of the new features (like anti-bloating) is "needed" when only using moderate superres (chroma/luma at 1 or max 2) and no other sharpening? (For luma I use NNEDI3 at 32 or above whenever possible, but for a couple of profiles I've had to resort to Super XBR.)

2) Would you use superres at 1 or 2 for a) SD -> 1080p (mostly good quality DVD rips) and b) 720p -> 1080p? I would think 2 for a) and and 1 for b) and not the other way around, right?

Just asking for some quick tips because I have zero hours left in my tweaking quota (says wife) after having spent tens of hours with madVR already, LOL. After upgrading to v0.90.17 I haven't touched any of the settings and things look OK to me with the new settings at default.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling