Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 29th September 2018, 20:12   #981  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
After adding some logging, that particular problem does seem to be an XySubFilter bug. See if the following build fixes it for you:
Thanks a lot for your efforts! I really hope this bug is busted at last, but can you please upload an x86 build since I'm still using 32-bit OS.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 20:35   #982  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Could you also test XySubFilter 3.1.0.705 BETA2 & XySubFilter 3.1.0.744 BETA3 to see if either of them work.

If it works in 3.1.0.705 but not in 3.1.0.744, then it's probably related to when Animated VobSub Support was merged in.

A small sample of the vob would still be useful, since the problem is likely related to those same subs going missing with "open BR/dvd".
I have tried the two versions and it doesn't work.

I don't know how cut vob file.

edit: I have just tried any option. If I use enhanced video renderer in mpc-hc 64 with xysubfilter 3.1.0.751, subs are displayed. If I use madvr instead of enhanced video renderer with xysubfilter 3.1.0.751, subs are not displayed. I have tried madvr 0.91.4 and the last version 0.92.17. The problem seems to occur with a strange interaction between madvr, mpc-hc64 and xysubfilter 64bits

edit 2: with madvr 0.89.2 subs are displayed.

evr

madvr0.89.2

madvr 0.92.17 or 0.91.4

Last edited by ikarad; 29th September 2018 at 20:42.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2018, 22:39   #983  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@ikarad, could it have to do with LAV Decoder filter and XySubFilter fighting over the subtitle connection to madVR? It's a known problem that madVR currently only accepts one subtitle connection. And if LAV has that connection, XySubFilter can lose out. Try using a different decoder, just to verify.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 05:39   #984  |  Link
austonrush

[QUOTE=ikarad;1853344]I have tried the two versions and it doesn't work.

I don't know how cut vob file.

edit: I have just tried any option. If I use enhanced video renderer in mpc-hc 64 with xysubfilter 3.1.0.751, subs are displayed. If I use madvr instead of enhanced video renderer with xysubfilter 3.1.0.751, subs are not displayed. I have tried madvr 0.91.4 and the last version 0.92.17. The problem seems to occur with a strange interaction between madvr, mpc-hc64 and xysubfilter 64bits

edit 2: with madvr 0.89.2 subs are displayed.

I had the same issue, try disabling (not removing), lav splitter and lav splitter source under external filters in mpc-hc, subtitles are now displaying for me. forced subtitles are not loading automatically though .
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 08:10   #985  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Try installing the latest LAVFilters-0.72.0-15.exe Nightly from https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/ . It looks like nev actually changed the handling of DVD subtitles on that build compared LAVFilters-0.72.0-13.exe, maybe it is related? The commit message mentions "Disable the CC output pin for DVD playback".

If that doesn't work, ensure that you've run XySubFilter regsvr32 (as admin) and it actually succeeded, and also test MPC-BE to rule out it's not just a MPC-HC quirk. The last thing you could try is setting XySubFilter to "Always Load" under Properties->Main.

Personally I've been using MPC-HC 1.7.16, madVR 90.24, LAVFilters-0.72.0-15 on Win7 and and don't remember seeing anything like that.

Though thinking back, I don't think XySubFilter has ever supported rendering subtitles directly from a DVD disc(?). Isn't that usually handled by DVD Navigator and a DVD/MPEG2 decoder? Is the situation differ on OS newer than Win7? LAV Splitter never loads for DVD playback on my end, and XySubFilter never connects to the DVD subtitle pin, the subtitle pin is always taken and rendered by the video decoder.

If there is some kind of weird timing conflict going on, media players should probably consider blocking XySubFilter when a DVD disc is played. Yet it is curious if it doesn't occur with older madVR builds though, so maybe it's something madshi could fix on his end?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 30th September 2018 at 08:15.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 08:19   #986  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
If there is some kind of weird timing conflict going on, media players should probably consider blocking XySubFilter when a DVD disc is played. Yet it is curious if it doesn't occur with older madVR builds though, so maybe it's something madshi could fix on his end?
Don't think its much of a timing conflict.

With DVD playback, LAV Video uses the ISubRenderConsumer interface to render DVD menus and DVD subtitles. It'll connect that pretty late, when the DShow graphs enters "Pause" mode, so long after graph building. In what order would madVR act? If the consumer slot is already taken, does it let me kick out whats in there, or does it just block the slot for the first one to get in there?

The reason it doesn't happen with older madVR versions is that LAV Video checks the madVR version, and doesn't act unless its at least 0.89.10, because the interface was a bit crashy before that version.
It falls back to the inefficient manual blending onto the decoded picture.

But actual DVD disc playback is a bit complicated anyway. External subs would probably be hard to sync to the appropriate timing, so do people really do that?

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th September 2018 at 08:28.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 08:31   #987  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@ikarad, could it have to do with LAV Decoder filter and XySubFilter fighting over the subtitle connection to madVR? It's a known problem that madVR currently only accepts one subtitle connection. And if LAV has that connection, XySubFilter can lose out. Try using a different decoder, just to verify.
Thanks.
I have tried to turn off lav filter in mpc-hc. Now, Mpc use microsoft dtv-dvd video and audio decoder. Subs are not displayed.

With madvr and mpc-hc32 bits and xysubfilter 32 bits, subs are displayed. Only 64 bits version have a problem.

Last edited by ikarad; 30th September 2018 at 08:36.
Old 30th September 2018, 08:37   #988  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Do XySubFilter subs work *at all* in 64bit for you? Is the problem just with DVD, or with other videos, as well?
Old 30th September 2018, 08:51   #989  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Try installing the latest LAVFilters-0.72.0-15.exe Nightly from https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/ . It looks like nev actually changed the handling of DVD subtitles on that build compared LAVFilters-0.72.0-13.exe, maybe it is related? The commit message mentions "Disable the CC output pin for DVD playback".

If that doesn't work, ensure that you've run XySubFilter regsvr32 (as admin) and it actually succeeded, and also test MPC-BE to rule out it's not just a MPC-HC quirk. The last thing you could try is setting XySubFilter to "Always Load" under Properties->Main.

Personally I've been using MPC-HC 1.7.16, madVR 90.24, LAVFilters-0.72.0-15 on Win7 and and don't remember seeing anything like that.

Though thinking back, I don't think XySubFilter has ever supported rendering subtitles directly from a DVD disc(?). Isn't that usually handled by DVD Navigator and a DVD/MPEG2 decoder? Is the situation differ on OS newer than Win7? LAV Splitter never loads for DVD playback on my end, and XySubFilter never connects to the DVD subtitle pin, the subtitle pin is always taken and rendered by the video decoder.

I have tested mpc-be and LAVFilters-0.72.0-15.exe Nightly . There is the same problem.
Old 30th September 2018, 08:56   #990  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Do XySubFilter subs work *at all* in 64bit for you? Is the problem just with DVD, or with other videos, as well?
Problem only with dvd. With bluray or other mkv video, subs are displayed. If I use "open dvd/BD" function in mpc-hc with blu-ray subs are dislayed.

The problem arrive only with dvd when I use "open dvd/BD" function in mpc-hc with mad vr, mpc-hc 64bits and xysubfilter 64 bits. With 32 bits versions of mpc-hc and xysubfilter, subs are displayed

Last edited by ikarad; 30th September 2018 at 09:03.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:28   #991  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
I have tried many madvr version.
Until 0.89.09, subs are displayed
Since 0.89.11 subs are not displayed.

I can't test 0.89.10 because when I download 0.89.10.zip on videohelp https://www.videohelp.com/software/m...sions#download , it download 0.89.11.
Old 30th September 2018, 13:55   #992  |  Link
clsid

madshi, this should fix the missing sub problem:
https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/com...3478c9895adfe0
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 14:48   #993  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

clsid, I don't think that is related. XySubFilter doesn't have a BitBltFromRGBToRGBStretch function and we don't use VDPixmapStretchBltBilinear anywhere, that scaling code is MPC-HC specific.
Old 30th September 2018, 14:50   #994  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@ikarad,

can you make a debug log with the missing subtitles? Please try to keep it as short as possible, which means: Start playback, when the subtitle should occur, and it doesn't, immediately stop the media player. If possible, no funny things like reloading the DVD multiple times, switching resolutions or zooming etc. Ideally, could you also add a debug log with the 32bit build, so I can compare both?

@clsid,

that change seems to be related to subtitle scaling quality (replacing bilinear with bicubic). How would that change help fixing missing subtitles?
Old 30th September 2018, 14:54   #995  |  Link
clsid

MPC-HC used to have a bug too where certain subs weren't displayed in x64 builds. That change fixed it.
Old 30th September 2018, 15:13   #996  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Not sure why it helped, but madVR doesn't use VDPixmapResample or VDPixmapStretchBltBilinear, so it's not a change I can do in madVR.
Old 30th September 2018, 15:19   #997  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Do you have a sample, and are you sure that wasn't only a VSFilter.dll issue? XySubFilter handles such thing differently than MPC-HC, so I don't think it would be affected by the same issue. Bitmaps subtitles such as VOBSUB are sent to madVR at original size, and madVR is responsible for scaling them as needed.

What ikarad & austonrush are reporting is a madVR/LavFilters specific issue related to DVD playback only, since they stated XySubFilter+EVR, XySubFilter+OldMadVR, and XySubFilter+CurrentMadVR+blockingLavSplitter were all working. It sounds like either a filter conflict, or a case of XySubFilter connecting to the madVR consumer before LAV Video (or the reverse, depending on which is actually rendering the DVD subs).

Last edited by cyberbeing; 30th September 2018 at 15:28.
Old 30th September 2018, 15:50   #998  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
Thanks a lot for your efforts! I really hope this bug is busted at last, but can you please upload an x86 build since I'm still using 32-bit OS.
https://www2.zippyshare.com/v/ZnTMPx2Q/file.html
Old 30th September 2018, 15:51   #999  |  Link
clsid

Must be a different bug then. The fact that it happens with bitmaps and x64 only triggered my memory of that old MPC bug.
Old 30th September 2018, 17:28   #1000  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
@ikarad,

can you make a debug log with the missing subtitles? Please try to keep it as short as possible, which means: Start playback, when the subtitle should occur, and it doesn't, immediately stop the media player. If possible, no funny things like reloading the DVD multiple times, switching resolutions or zooming etc. Ideally, could you also add a debug log with the 32bit build, so I can compare both?
How make a debug log?