Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th September 2018, 15:06   #52681  |  Link
suanm

@Madshi
Thank you very much,master.I try to do as you mentioned above.
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 15:16   #52682  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
I am getting the JVC magenta bug with DVBViewer (50Hz) now. The magenta bug was supposed to be fixed by not sending HDR meta data. But I still get it even though I unchecked "send HDR meta data". I also noticed the "apply" button does not get active when toggeling the "send HDR meta data" checkbox. Could this be a bug?

Beside that I love the HDR improvements

NoTechi

edit
should have noted that I am on sat3 testbuild
If you think this issue is related to a stuck checkbox, you will have to reset your madVR settings. Not having an active "Apply" button does sound like this problem.

I'd first take out Notepad and copy any important madVR profile rules and save them. Then remove your settings.bin file and place it outside of the madVR installation folder. Finally, reset your madVR settings from the installation folder and see if the issue has been resolved. You can then paste your previous settings.bin back into the madVR installation folder to restore your old settings. The Notepad file is just there in case anything goes wrong.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 15:20   #52683  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Any ideas whats good settings to start testing with on an oled? My TV's SD mode is calibrated to 140 nits. I think I heard about a setting for deactivating the tv's tone mapping. I will search for the solution and will let you know...

@madshi:

If there's a way to deactivate the tv's tonemapping in hdr mode, would it be possible to trigger the tv's hdr mode after madvr has done it's tonemapping? Does madvr does madvr completely convert the hdr signal to a sd colorspace and sends an sdr signal?
Try 400-500 nits.

You can't disable your display's tone mapping. You can disable dynamic tone mapping if it has this feature, but you can't disable the gamma (PQ) curve in the display, which is where the tone mapping occurs. You could calibrate the display with a colorimeter to follow the PQ curve as close as possible. That would be the closest to avoiding any form of tone mapping for pixels that are within the display's brightness capabilities. Even then, the display might change its curve to match the brightness of the content.

Last edited by Warner306; 24th September 2018 at 16:24.
Old 24th September 2018, 15:26   #52684  |  Link
Warner306

Based on the photos posted, the tone mapping has improved considerably from the previous build. Some may miss some of the extra saturation, but the improved color accuracy and highlight detail makes up for it. If those images came from the recent test build, I would just put it to print and be done with it.

Those shots do make it look like saturation was slowly removed from the picture over a six month period Obviously, there was more to it than that. Trial-and-error is sometimes the best way to go when you don't know where you are going...
Old 24th September 2018, 15:58   #52685  |  Link
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic144 View Post
Playing back 720p HD mkv, run into new issue since (including) madVR version 0.92.15 (WASN'T present with 0.92.14 and reverting still works).

When I engage vobsub (idx/sub) subtitles via XySubFilter in Zoom Player, video freezes though audio continues. I don't get any subs. In fact the freezing only occurs at the point when the next sub would have appeared. It's non recoverable - have to restart player to restart video.
VobSub filter still works.
Plain text (SRT) subs still work in either sub filter.

Using AMD RX460 with Adrenalin 18.9.2 (latest) driver. Output is direct HDMI to Samsung monitor, 1920x1080 resolution.

Sub filters previously installed (as pair) via ZP Install Centre - reported as 3.1.0.747 via that installer.
VSFilter.dll (VobSub) shows 3.0.0.306
XySubFilter.dll (XySubFilter) shows 3.1.0.747
LAV Decoders 0.72.0 (video using DXVA2 copy-back)
Zoom Player is MAX v14.4b1 (latest, ZP is a 32-bit app)

----

UPDATE: same issue occurs on different PC w/ same software setup, but with older AMD Radeon HD5670
(again, reverting to madVR 0.92.14 works)
UPDATE2 (2018-09-21): issue confirmed in BOTH full-screen and windowed playback
UPDATE3 (2018-09-23): issue confirmed using LAV in BOTH (none) and DXVA2 (copy-back) acceleration (or not) modes
UPDATE4 (2018-09-23): issue confirmed on laptop w/ same software setup, but uses Intel HD GPU
I have the same issue with madvr 0.92.16 .
I'm using Windows 10, nvidia 1080ti, latest nvidia driver, Kodi DSplayer, latest LAV filters and XySubfilter.
The video plays fine until the first subtitle line should show up. It hangs before rendering the subtitle while the audio continues playing.
mkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 16:26   #52686  |  Link
magic144

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
I have the same issue with madvr 0.92.16 .
I'm using Windows 10, nvidia 1080ti, latest nvidia driver, Kodi DSplayer, latest LAV filters and XySubfilter.
The video plays fine until the first subtitle line should show up. It hangs before rendering the subtitle while the audio continues playing.
Thanks for the confirmation. It's always good to know it's not just you it's happening to

I sent madshi a debug log and freeze reports as requested. Hopefully something will be apparent from them.
magic144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 17:04   #52687  |  Link
chinobino

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That's weird, shouldn't be happening. 8bit RGB Full Range should be totally banding free (unless the source contains banding, obviously).

You do have dithering enabled in madVR? Have you tried setting your display properties manually to 8bit in the madVR settings?
Looks like the banding is in the source, x264 (AVC) 8-bit blu ray.

I guess dithering can only do so much?
chinobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 17:17   #52688  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
If there's a way to deactivate the tv's tonemapping in hdr mode, would it be possible to trigger the tv's hdr mode after madvr has done it's tonemapping? Does madvr does madvr completely convert the hdr signal to a sd colorspace and sends an sdr signal?
In theory madVR's "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" should do exactly this. However, most TVs are too stupid to turn off their tone mapping, if madVR's metadata suggests that it's not needed. So it might not work as expected in real life. But I can't say for sure, without having tested such a TV myself.

(Besides, reportedly the "process HDR content" feature is currently broken. Will have to investigate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I'd like to clarify for anyone who wasn't following the testing done in the other thread that I'm over the moon with the new algo, and that I'm neither using "dumb" or passthrough, nor the old algo anymore, and certainly don't regret them.
Thank you, Manni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanm View Post
I get back again to MadVR 0.92.16 version due to cropping bars.The feature is really important,especially to 1080p or 720p movies.I have to give up MadVR0.92.14 version.
Now im gonna ask all of guys which image quality is better,30HZ luma>NGU soft(high) and 60hz luma>NGU soft(high)<Bicubic 150 AR ?
I'm a bit confused. What does cropping bars have to do with selecting v0.92.16 vs v0.92.14? And how can you be "back to v0.92.16", if that's the newest build?

Not sure about your image quality question, either. Why would 60Hz contain a Bicubic downscaling step while 30Hz does not? What does refresh rate have to do with resolution or with up/downscaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Based on the photos posted, the tone mapping has improved considerably from the previous build. Some may miss some of the extra saturation, but the improved color accuracy and highlight detail makes up for it. If those images came from the recent test build, I would just put it to print and be done with it.

Those shots do make it look like saturation was slowly removed from the picture over a six month period Obviously, there was more to it than that. Trial-and-error is sometimes the best way to go when you don't know where you are going...
The screenshots are very near to what v0.92.16 would produce, with a small added tweak. But we're still testing some potential further improvements on AVSForum, so it's not time yet for a new official build.

v0.92.16 is using a different formula to calculate the final saturation compared to v0.92.14. In many cases the final saturation is a bit lower now, but in some cases, it can also be higher. Saturation is generally a very difficult parameter to dial in. Using more saturation is nice, but we have to avoid overcooked skin tones. Also, trading in some saturation for added luminance can sometimes help rendering highlights with more detail. I'm pretty happy with the algo now, in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinobino View Post
Looks like the banding is in the source, x264 (AVC) 8-bit blu ray.

I guess dithering can only do so much?
The primary purpose of dithering is not to remove banding. The primary purpose is to avoid adding new banding artifacts to the source. If you want to remove banding which is in the source, you need some sort of debanding filter. madVR has such a filter. Some TVs do, too.

I do wonder why you see the banding artifacts in RGB 8bit Full, and not in YCbCr 4:2:2, though? That doesn't make too much sense to me - unless your TV applies debanding for YCbCr 4:2:2 input, but not for RGB input?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 19:06   #52689  |  Link
pirlouy
_

About the screenshots comparison, I don't know anything at HDR (and I'm not really interested). In the end, the best images are the one with better contrast isn't it ?
Is it right to say it looks exactly like "dynamic contrast" options from TV ?
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 19:19   #52690  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

You might not be interested in HDR, but HDR is interested in you! Er, by that I mean that HDR is probably going to become more common as time goes on, so if you don't have an HDR display you'll need some way to display that content on an SDR display without it looking awful.

HDR basically just lets really bright things (like sunlight) be really bright. If you don't have a display that supports that kind of brightness, you need to reduce the brightness of the footage in a way that still looks natural - so you don't end up with a scene shot in daylight that looks like it was shot at night, or a scene where all the bright things are just pure white and you can't see any details. That's what madshi is currently working on.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 24th September 2018 at 19:22.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2018, 21:19   #52691  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Old - | - New - | - Dumb - | - Sony Camp Demo
Maybe a stupid question, but I remember reading on this very forum that we shouldn't use the Sony Camp demo because its mastering metadata was rubbish.
Is there another, correctly encoded, source? Or does that not matter anymore with the newer madVR versions and it can handle material with incorrect metadata?
Old 24th September 2018, 21:41   #52692  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
To anyone who has an LG Oled:
I.......
not sure that would make any difference on my first gen 4k OLED EF9500 as SDR and HDR peaks are almost identical - see here.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ef9500
Old 24th September 2018, 22:45   #52693  |  Link
j82k

Yeah I probably should have said 2016 or newer LG Oled...
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 00:30   #52694  |  Link
SamuriHL

No other way to get into the service menu? My 2018 C8 definitely treats SDR brightness different than HDR.
Old 25th September 2018, 00:54   #52695  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but I remember reading on this very forum that we shouldn't use the Sony Camp demo because its mastering metadata was rubbish.
I think the point is here that it clearly is far better than the other modes regardless of the source issues.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 00:56   #52696  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Speaking about SDR brightness, how do you guys manage the different brightness between HDR converted to SDR, and actual SDR? Surely one doesn't want the same brightness levels there. Manually? TVs certainly don't have much automation to speak of.
Old 25th September 2018, 00:59   #52697  |  Link
huhn

2 hdmi connection into the TV.

i'm not aware of a TV that doesn't 2 have different settings per HDMI
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 05:02   #52698  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
No other way to get into the service menu? My 2018 C8 definitely treats SDR brightness different than HDR.
I have a C8 too.
As far as I know you'll need a service remote or a phone which has an IR blaster to access the service menu.
For an android phones the app is called AnyMote not sure about iphone.

I can understand why LG limited the brightness for SDR. There are more and more cases with burn-in and if people could watch CNN or whatever all day with 500+ nits they probably would...

Last edited by j82k; 25th September 2018 at 05:04.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 05:19   #52699  |  Link
PirateIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakoboss7 View Post
just installed v0.92.16 and for the first time ever in full screen i can see the windows taskbar. this has never ever happened before in the 3 years i use madvr with mpc-hc.

anyone facing the same problem?
Hey I get this happening sometimes as well, on earlier versions as well, its explorer.
if you have this happen again all you have to do is open task manager and restart explorer and it is usually fixed immediately, media player can remain open during this.
you can look up otherways to restart explorer more conveniently, i recommend NOT using any of the "gracefull" commands as it sometimes stalls on closing.
PirateIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2018, 06:15   #52700  |  Link
suanm

Quote:

I'm a bit confused. What does cropping bars have to do with selecting v0.92.16 vs v0.92.14? And how can you be "back to v0.92.16", if that's the newest build?

Not sure about your image quality question, either. Why would 60Hz contain a Bicubic downscaling step while 30Hz does not? What does refresh rate have to do with resolution or with up/downscalin?
Master,The cropping bars feature in madVR 0.92.14 seems not to work perfectly,i think so at least in my opinion.However the madVR0.92.16 works perfectly on my pc.So i gotta choose madVR 0.92.16 although the feature of process HDR by using pixel shader math can't work correctly on my quantum dot tv set.
Another reason why i ask masters here about 30hz and 60hz.
In 3840*2160,60hz standard
and luma>soft(high),chroma>soft(high) mode,the playback of 1080p moves drops frames.However,when i choose 3839*2160 60hz and luma>soft(high),chroma>soft(high) mode,No frames drop.
I looks up the madVR list,it displays the 3839*2160,60hz mode has been optimized by madVR.But 3840*2160,60hz is a standard mode,it's not been optimized by madVR yet.
So i guess this is why no frames drop in 3839*2160,60hz mode.Unfortunatedly,when madVR runs,luma value goes >soft(high)<Biscius 150 AR,not simplex soft(high).
When i switch to 3840*2160,30hz,chroma soft(high) and luma soft(high) mode,no frames drop yet.
So now i can't be sure which image quality is better between 3839*2160,60hz, luma>soft(high)<Biscuis 150 AR and 3840*2160,30hz,luma>soft(high).
Because i don't know if madVR makes 4:2:0 convert into 4:4:4 in 30hz mode,furthermore if luma quadrupling upscaling works correctly in the same 30hz mode.
Thank you,master,for reading my endless remarks
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling