Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 13th August 2002, 12:52   #1  |  Link
wotef

assumetff() assumebff()

Quote:
- AssumeTFF() and AssumeBFF() to force parity
is there any documentation on these new functions other than their inclusion in the change log?

are they just short hand for separatefields / complementparity?
or do they do something else?
wotef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2002, 14:49   #2  |  Link
WarpEnterprises
C64

The actual docu can be seen at sourceforge (of course work is still in progress!)
CVS-DOCU
and of course at The AviSynth Homepage

Those two commands SET the fieldorder rather than change it and don't separate fields.

Last edited by WarpEnterprises; 13th August 2002 at 15:32.
WarpEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 18:16   #3  |  Link
eobard

Read the docs, still can't understand. If my video is interlaced i need to used AssumeBFF, right?
eobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 18:27   #4  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobard View Post
Read the docs, still can't understand. If my video is interlaced i need to used AssumeBFF, right?
Read this and this.
Old 16th October 2019, 20:28   #5  |  Link
johnmeyer

I don't quite understand what problem you are having.

All the AsssumeBFF/AssumeTFF statements do is to override whatever assumption AVISynth makes about field order. Some video provides this information to the video program, and some does not. Sometimes the information provided is wrong.

So, what the Assume functions do is to force AVISynth to read the fields in the order specified, regardless of what AVISynth is told by the video header.

To test whether you have the Assume function set correctly, I recommend opening your video in this script:

AssumeTFF()
Separatefields()

Open this script in VirtualDub and walk through the video one field at a time (you are looking at fields, not frames). If the motion looks normal, you have got the right Assume function. However, if the video goes back and forth, you have it set the wrong way.

The back and forth motion gives you some idea of how screwed up your script can get if you don't have this set correctly.

I perform this test on every single interlaced video that anyone gives to me, because field orders are ALWAYS getting screwed up by people who don't know what they're doing.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 16th October 2019 at 21:49. Reason: clarity
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 09:42   #6  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
I perform this test on every single interlaced video that anyone gives to me, because field orders are ALWAYS getting screwed up by people who don't know what they're doing.
Story of my live. Literally. I receive fucked up interlaced contents on a daily basis...
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 17:23   #7  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Story of my live. Literally. I receive f*#%*d up interlaced contents on a daily basis...
You're in the broadcast business and what amazes me, fifteen years after the HD switchover, is how often I see massive field reversal artifacts on SD material incorporated into a program. It appears that engineers at local stations don't know how to handle field dominance changes.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2019, 12:32   #8  |  Link
PhillipWyllie

Try AssumeTFF() first and scrub the video through parts with motion. If the video jerks back and forward have bff video and should use AsuumeBFF(). In any case to confirm that you are right try the opposite function and look for jerky video in parts with motion.
Old 19th October 2019, 13:09   #9  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipWyllie View Post
Try AssumeTFF() first and scrub the video through parts with motion. If the video jerks back and forward have bff video and should use AsuumeBFF(). In any case to confirm that you are right try the opposite function and look for jerky video in parts with motion.
Lather, rinse, repeat? The links I gave in post #4 already describe this procedure in detail. Then John posted the same thing, now you. WTF?
Old 19th October 2019, 13:36   #10  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

You know what they say, Groucho... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Thank you for the links you provided.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote