Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th September 2013, 19:10   #20041  |  Link
psousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I have an AVR too but it's set to pass-through the video with no changes. Is yours set up the same way? Are you sure the overscan option doesn't enable itself when you apply the custom resolution?
you are the man xDDD

you were right, when i set custom refresh rate my tv automatically oversan so after i fix the aspect rate do 16:9 no more overscan.

now playing a 24p movie madVR say my display is 23,97631 Hz. dont know if i can change it to perfect 23.97600 Hz but right now is perfect for me.

thanks a lot for the help friend
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 19:27   #20042  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by psousa View Post
i believe in you but i like the blue log of HD sound on my denon xD
LAV has its own indicator (albeit harder to get to). Make sure you set tray icons to enabled, then play a file with a DTS-HD MA track. Double-click on the LAV Audio tray icon and go to the Status tab. It should say "DTS-HD MA" as the codec. Bit-streaming just causes headaches in my experience; if the software I'm using can decode everything properly, and my receiver has no issues with 7.1 LPCM, I have no reason to use bit-streaming. I think LAV decodes Dolby TrueHD without third-party plugins, plus FLAC, etc.

Quote:
you are the man xDDD

you were right, when i set custom refresh rate my tv automatically oversan so after i fix the aspect rate do 16:9 no more overscan.

now playing a 24p movie madVR say my display is 23,97631 Hz. dont know if i can change it to perfect 23.97600 Hz but right now is perfect for me.

thanks a lot for the help friend
Nice. Out of curiosity, did you make the same change I did (+1 to total vertical pixels) to get that 23.9763x Hz?

Last edited by DragonQ; 7th September 2013 at 19:30.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 19:41   #20043  |  Link
psousa

Quote:
LAV has its own indicator (albeit harder to get to). Make sure you set tray icons to enabled, then play a file with a DTS-HD MA track. Double-click on the LAV Audio tray icon and go to the Status tab. It should say "DTS-HD MA" as the codec. Bit-streaming just causes headaches in my experience; if the software I'm using can decode everything properly, and my receiver has no issues with 7.1 LPCM, I have no reason to use bit-streaming. I think LAV decodes Dolby TrueHD without third-party plugins, plus FLAC, etc.

Nice. Out of curiosity, did you make the same change I did (+1 to total vertical pixels) to get that 23.9763x Hz?
yes, i change the total vertical pixels to 1126. with 1125 i get display rate around 23.978Hz.
Old 8th September 2013, 01:19   #20044  |  Link
psousa

Quote:
but that way on my receiver the blue ligh from HD audio will not turn on right? and will not appear "dts-master" on receiver screen but something else right?
Old 8th September 2013, 03:27   #20045  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
but that way on my receiver the blue ligh from HD audio will not turn on right? and will not appear "dts-master" on receiver screen but something else right?
nope... LAV is decoding DTS-HD MA to PCM, so the receiver is getting PCM... so the light won't turn on..
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 10:07   #20046  |  Link
jkauff

The new version 19 of JRiver Media Center has a DTS output stream feature that should work for you. Check their support forum for details.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 16:25   #20047  |  Link
psousa

Quote:
i think im go with your advice because yesterday i saw a full movie with lot of dark scenes ( MAMA was the movie name) and the dark scenes were all messed, horrible indeed, couldnt see any details on dark scenes just black.

so i stopped the movie and did some testes always with the same image and this is what i get:

1) with 24Hz (not custom refresh) i get amazing image quality from my panasonic

2) with 24 Hz custom refresh i get crap image quality especially on dark scenes, but in general colour are oversatured

3) with 24 hz custom refresh rate AND change on madvr output lvl for TV i get the same amazing image quality as on 1)

if i change for PC levels dark scene have 0 details, but on 24 Hz ( not custom refresh) if i set madvr output to PC levels i get amazing image quality and if i change to tv levels colours are all washout and is terrible.

i think custom refresh rates are messing up with madVR setting.

with custom refresh rate 24Hz and change 1 in total vertical pixels i get almost perfect 23.976Hz but that add 1 vertical pixel make something very anoying on top border of display.

im a bit tired with all this tests and tries to get perfect 24p and the blue dts-hd logo on my receiver.

i think im just go with your advice, forget the blue logo and just use LAV audio decoder + dtsdecoderdll.dll + reclock so i can get HD sound, perfect 24p experience and perfect image quality.

i will not gonna loose any quality on sound right? will just change on my screen receiver from " dts-hd master" to " PCM" and loose the blue light logo right?

so basically with LAV audio decoder + dtsdecoderdll.dll, no one really need receivers with HD decoders right?
Old 9th September 2013, 17:17   #20048  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
i think im go with your advice because yesterday i saw a full movie with lot of dark scenes ( MAMA was the movie name) and the dark scenes were all messed, horrible indeed, couldnt see any details on dark scenes just black.

so i stopped the movie and did some testes always with the same image and this is what i get:

1) with 24Hz (not custom refresh) i get amazing image quality from my panasonic

2) with 24 Hz custom refresh i get crap image quality especially on dark scenes, but in general colour are oversatured

3) with 24 hz custom refresh rate AND change on madvr output lvl for TV i get the same amazing image quality as on 1)

if i change for PC levels dark scene have 0 details, but on 24 Hz ( not custom refresh) if i set madvr output to PC levels i get amazing image quality and if i change to tv levels colours are all washout and is terrible.

i think custom refresh rates are messing up with madVR setting.

with custom refresh rate 24Hz and change 1 in total vertical pixels i get almost perfect 23.976Hz but that add 1 vertical pixel make something very anoying on top border of display.

im a bit tired with all this tests and tries to get perfect 24p and the blue dts-hd logo on my receiver.

i think im just go with your advice, forget the blue logo and just use LAV audio decoder + dtsdecoderdll.dll + reclock so i can get HD sound, perfect 24p experience and perfect image quality.

i will not gonna loose any quality on sound right? will just change on my screen receiver from " dts-hd master" to " PCM" and loose the blue light logo right?

so basically with LAV audio decoder + dtsdecoderdll.dll, no one really need receivers with HD decoders right?
As I understand it, the way Reclock works is that it resamples the audio to match the video. So if the video is playing back at 23.978 Hz instead of 23.976 Hz, then the video and audio will just be played back slightly quicker than normal so you won't get dropped/repeated frames. As long as you choose the best resampling algorithm I highly doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the original audio and the resampled audio. Aside from this, letting LAV Audio decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA will result in the same PCM stream as letting your AVR do it, it just gets done a step earlier. It is possible that some receivers have different settings available for different input types though, so this is something to check.

Also note that the reason your custom 24 Hz refresh rate makes the colours over-saturated is because it's forced to 0-255 output. Your normal refresh rates were presumably using 16-235. You can fix this by changing the MadVR output, as you did. I need to use EVR on my HTPC so the only fix for me is to use YCbCr output instead of RGB. However, if you're getting a dodgy row of pixels then I guess this method isn't an option for your particular TV.

Last edited by DragonQ; 9th September 2013 at 17:31.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 21:17   #20049  |  Link
psousa

today im go see a movie ( the great gatsby ), hope finally i get 0 frame drops with reclock xD
Old 10th September 2013, 08:27   #20050  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
So if the video is playing back at 23.978 Hz instead of 23.976 Hz, then the video and audio will just be played back slightly quicker than normal
Normal? Movies are filmed in 24.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 09:00   #20051  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
i believe in you but i like the blue log of HD sound on my denon xD
You should tick the passthrough options in LAV Audio decoder.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 10:50   #20052  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Normal? Movies are filmed in 24.
Indeed, but BDs are mastered at 23.976 fps normally. Kinda bizarre considering, AFAIK, HDTVs that support 23.976p support 24p anyway and a few BDs are indeed 24p.

Also shows that playing the film back 0.002 Hz faster than default isn't a problem in and of itself - the problem is just dropped/repeated frames due to the display refresh rate not matching.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:54   #20053  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
You should tick the passthrough options in LAV Audio decoder.
That's not the point, he wanted to use it with Reclock but that's not possible.
Old 10th September 2013, 18:13   #20054  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Hi madshi, I was wondering if you could please be of any assistance regarding my problems with a GTX660 on XPSP3
Hi again, OK nevermind about my e-drama as it would appear that even HR gives tearing and only overlay manages to provide smoothish playback(interframe jitter isn't stable and scaling is horrid). I wonder how Q3 manages to work so well with such broken drivers.

And lo and behold as I just bought a W8 licence, let's see how the 21st century feels like

Last edited by leeperry; 11th September 2013 at 01:55.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 01:14   #20055  |  Link
moffy

I am looking at using the SubRenderIntf.h interface. I ran across it while browsing the LAVVideo source code, and have a project using subtitlles that I believe could benefit from it. You have extensive comments in the file, but being somewhat inexperienced with Directshow are there any more examples or documentation available? From reading, to use the interface you have to have a ISubRenderConsumer. How does one filter interrogate all the other filters of the graph looking for this interface? Thanks.
moffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 06:53   #20056  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Just to make sure, the interface used in LAVVideo is slightly outdated, you should grab the latest one from madVR itself, otherwise it might not be compatible (LAV only uses it internally with itself, not with the outside)
Old 12th September 2013, 00:50   #20057  |  Link
moffy

Thanks nevcairiel. I have also looked at the code from xy_subfilter_consumer. I managed to insert some code into LAVVideo e.g.
Code:
HRESULT CLAVVideo::Pause()
{
  CComPtr<IEnumFilters> pEF;
  HRESULT hr;
  ULONG merit;

if((m_pGraph) && !(m_pSubConsumer))
  {
	  if(SUCCEEDED(m_pGraph->EnumFilters(&pEF)))
	  {
		  for(CComPtr<IBaseFilter> pBF; pEF->Next(1, &pBF, 0) == S_OK; pBF = NULL)
		  {
			  CComQIPtr<ISubRenderConsumer> pNSC(pBF);

if((pBF != (IBaseFilter *) this) && pNSC)
			  {
				  merit = 0;
				  hr = pNSC->GetMerit(&merit);
				  if(SUCCEEDED(hr) && (merit > m_consumermerit))
				  {
					  m_consumermerit  = merit;
					  if(m_pSubConsumer != NULL)
						  m_pSubConsumer->Release();
					  m_pSubConsumer   = pNSC;
					  m_pSubConsumer->AddRef();
				  }
			  }
		  }
	  }
  }
	return __super::Pause();
}
after much trial and error. When I had the xy_subfilter_consumer.dll loaded, it was able to discover the interface. If there are any mistakes in the above code please let me know.

Last edited by moffy; 13th September 2013 at 00:38.
Old 12th September 2013, 00:53   #20058  |  Link
moffy

Sorry for the lack of code formatting. Can't see how to add it.
Old 12th September 2013, 07:32   #20059  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Put it in a CODE (or PHP) block. See BB code short documentation.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:42   #20060  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, I wanted to run this by you to see whether removing the CPU queue options lower than 8 might be an idea. When I have my CPU queue less than 8 I find switching from windowed mode to exclusive causes frames to jump back and forth.

Having the CPU queue set to 8 seems to be the magic (and I know it's default) number. The video never comes right after this occurs, so perhaps lower values should be removed or maybe things can be improved in the transition from windowed to exclusive. I've included a log where I set the CPU queue to 6. Changing the GPU queue size had no effect at all. HD 3000, W8, 15.28.18.64.3223.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ks7xddl7lbnnqw
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling