Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th November 2018, 22:33   #53561  |  Link
steakhutzeee

As i can see, 'crop black bars' only works for hard coded black bars.
Instead 'zoom small black bars away' works with "all" black bars.

Am i right?
Old 4th November 2018, 22:53   #53562  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampallang View Post
But still issue with the measurement on TV.
what?
Quote:
First of all I have to fix the 4:4:4 10bit.
your card can do that (well 12 bit and 8 bit only cause nvidia is special.) so check your cable. RGB at 23 hz should be an option no matter what.
Quote:
But to get a little bit deeper how would I calibrate the b7 and the 3d lut best fo hdr to sdr to do tonemapping via madvr?
you create a normal DCI P3 3D LUT with a gamma of 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
As i can see, 'crop black bars' only works for hard coded black bars.
Instead 'zoom small black bars away' works with "all" black bars.

Am i right?
madVR doesn't create blackbar that can be remove without zooming so yes to both.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 23:36   #53563  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
AHEM, madVR's tonemapping is kinda a big deal and he's sure as heck gonna want more than a 960 for that and other stuff.
I have a 2GB 960 and with madVR tonemapping on, debanding on low, and Lanczos3 AR chroma I get like 22ms with 4k HDR videos.

There is plenty of room to up the chroma as well, but it's placebo to me.
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 23:40   #53564  |  Link
huhn

than go to trade quality for.. and untick compromise on tone and gamut...

and check again.
Old 4th November 2018, 23:43   #53565  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
than go to trade quality for.. and untick compromise on tone and gamut...

and check again.
Already unticked.
Old 4th November 2018, 23:48   #53566  |  Link
huhn

and now you tell us how you run a 60 fps file with 22 ms :-)
Old 4th November 2018, 23:52   #53567  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
and now you tell us how you run a 60 fps file with 22 ms :-)
I don't, because 99.9999% of all movies/scripted tv is filmed at 24 or 25 fps.
Old 4th November 2018, 23:54   #53568  |  Link
huhn

so that still a waste of money?
Old 5th November 2018, 00:57   #53569  |  Link
ryrynz

Well to be fair he didn't say it was. But yeah coming from a 1060 and a 1080 I can tell you the extra headroom the 1080 offers comes in very helpful for displaying downscaled 4k hdr on an HD screen. With an actual 4k screen though the demands are lower but a 960 just doesn't really cut it and especially if you want the best hdr experience from the soon to be released version. It doesn't feel right to be using anything other than NGU and SSIM AFAIC but to each their own, I would never use lanczos now except on the lowliest of machines.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 02:08   #53570  |  Link
huhn

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...99#post1856899

are sou sure he didn't say that?

the current highlight option cost so much processing power let just hope it gets better.
Old 5th November 2018, 06:14   #53571  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDR View Post
I have a GTX 960 and you'd be wasting your money.
Just as you saw the value in purchasing a ~$2000 USD TV many of us that actually have better graphics cards than the 960 see the value in using them.

When you consider what some hardware does in terms of upscaling and postprocessing in years gone by and even today and how much people can spend on these products to get that, $800USD is a small price to pay to unlock some of, if not the best upscaling and post processing options available in real time "on the market". To have the benefit to render 3D at the highest possible details as well at high frame rates? A bargain really, and a far cry from a "waste of money".

For the record I've used extensively with madVR a 750Ti 2GB, 960 2GB, 1060 6GB and a 1080 8GB. and I wouldn't trade my NGU doubling, NGU chroma and SSIM 2D downscaling on general content for anything.
Old 5th November 2018, 08:33   #53572  |  Link
Ampallang

Quote:
what?

your card can do that (well 12 bit and 8 bit only cause nvidia is special.) so check your cable. RGB at 23 hz should be an option no matter what.

you create a normal DCI P3 3D LUT with a gamma of 2.2
Can someone with a gtx 960 and windows 10 show me where I can set 10 bit 4:4:4 I have no option in windows or in driver to set this up. There is no way overall refresh rates in native 4k at my pc. Also a driver version working with 10 bit will be nice to know.

Dci-p3 and bt2020 to calibrate and measure with PC in hdr mode is impossible. Due to tone mapping and drift of TV. Maybe different to try it in sdr mode with maximum gamut and maximum light without hdr meta data. I will give it a try.

Many thanks for all the interesting and good input.
Ampallang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 08:45   #53573  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Amen! I too have a GTX 1080 card, and it is not overkill for MadVr use at all! In fact I will be buying a faster card next year (7nm).
Old 5th November 2018, 09:10   #53574  |  Link
HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Well to be fair he didn't say it was. But yeah coming from a 1060 and a 1080 I can tell you the extra headroom the 1080 offers comes in very helpful for displaying downscaled 4k hdr on an HD screen. With an actual 4k screen though the demands are lower but a 960 just doesn't really cut it and especially if you want the best hdr experience from the soon to be released version. It doesn't feel right to be using anything other than NGU and SSIM AFAIC but to each their own, I would never use lanczos now except on the lowliest of machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz
Just as you saw the value in purchasing a ~$2000 USD TV many of us that actually have better graphics cards than the 960 see the value in using them.

When you consider what some hardware does in terms of upscaling and postprocessing in years gone by and even today and how much people can spend on these products to get that, $800USD is a small price to pay to unlock some of, if not the best upscaling and post processing options available in real time "on the market". To have the benefit to render 3D at the highest possible details as well at high frame rates? A bargain really, and a far cry from a "waste of money".

For the record I've used extensively with madVR a 750Ti 2GB, 960 2GB, 1060 6GB and a 1080 8GB. and I wouldn't trade my NGU doubling, NGU chroma and SSIM 2D downscaling on general content for anything.
It does cut it though. I just checked and I can do NGU Sharp Medium for chroma, although just barely at 40ms. NGU Low is easier.

There's no downscaling on a 4k screen so no need for SSIM.

If you guys want to suggest to the guy he needs to upgrade to a $600 card to run madVR in 4k at good settings I'm going to disagree, having had this setup for several years.

I wouldn't recommend buying a 960 now, but you absolutely do not need to upgrade to something better at this point, and I think anyone who does thinking there is going to be some magical improvement is going to be disappointed.

It will give you more headroom, that's about it.
Old 5th November 2018, 09:29   #53575  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
It does cut it though. I just checked and I can do NGU Sharp Medium for chroma, although just barely at 40ms. NGU Low is easier.
For you, for me it wouldn't. Just barely? No thanks.

Quote:
There's no downscaling on a 4k screen so no need for SSIM.
I'm well aware, however I do downscale.

Quote:
If you guys want to suggest to the guy he needs to upgrade to a $600 card to run madVR in 4k at good settings I'm going to disagree, having had this setup for several years.
A 1060 6GB can be had for $250 USD and offers considerable performance improvement unlocking higher quality settings and without the "just barely" GPU loading and fan noise that accompanies it.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend buying a 960 now, but you absolutely do not need to upgrade to something better at this point, and I think anyone who does thinking there is going to be some magical improvement is going to be disappointed.
What is it? You can't recommend it or it's perfectly suitable?
Having jumped from a 960 myself to a 1060 I can tell you as far as upgrades go it was pretty magical. You're using medium quality settings and only just scraping by on 24fps content which given how close you are to the frame time will likely lead to frame drops.
Suitable for you perhaps, plenty of users of 1060's and above would disagree with you there, we've all run lower tier cards in the past.

Quote:
It will give you more headroom, that's about it.
We don't buy beyond low tier cards to just "gain headroom"
Like huhn said, you can't do 60fps at those settings and you won't get the highest quality HDR processing either. It suits your viewing habits only. Not good advice, sorry.
Old 5th November 2018, 09:33   #53576  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

NGU Sharp Very High is worth buying a $600+ dollar GPU for in my mind, but not a $1000+ one though (like the current price for 2080Ti).
Old 5th November 2018, 10:15   #53577  |  Link
HDR

ryrynz has to be trolling at this point.

The guy has a 4k OLED and you're talking about 1080p downscaling - irrelevant.

Quote:
Like huhn said, you can't do 60fps at those settings and you won't get the highest quality HDR processing either. It suits your viewing habits only. Not good advice, sorry.
You can get the highest quality HDR processing as I've already stated.

There are no tv shows or movies shot at greater than 25 fps. Only sports, soap operas, and talk shows which are generally not available in HDR.

Not good advice, sorry.

All of this is funny coming from someone using a 1080p screen.

If you actually cared about quality you'd have a 4k OLED by now. But you don't, so you like to argue on the internet to justify your purchases.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:37   #53578  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Well I have a 75" Samsung Q9FN. I have a lot of 720p and 1080p content that I upscale to 4K, and I want the best PQ possible. I also want to keep the render stats below 30ms to avoid frame drops. If you let the render stats to go just below ~40ms, then you can get frame drops because of the max stats that sometimes jump higher. I prefer to have headroom.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:48   #53579  |  Link
HDR

1080p->2160p NGU Sharp High gets 19ms on a 960.

Quote:
NGU Sharp Very High is worth buying a $600+ dollar GPU for in my mind, but not a $1000+ one though (like the current price for 2080Ti).
Sorry, but this is placebo. Even madshi agrees.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:08   #53580  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
ryrynz has to be trolling at this point.
Think I'll ignore you from now on, it's relevant to me. I'm not "talking about it"

Quote:
The guy has a 4k OLED and you're talking about 1080p downscaling - irrelevant.
Personally I feel your opinion on what constitutes as "good enough" is irrelevant.

Quote:
You can get the highest quality HDR processing as I've already stated.
Tried the test build?

Quote:
There are no tv shows or movies shot at greater than 25 fps. Only sports, soap operas, and talk shows which are generally not available in HDR.
And yet you're still maxing your low tier card.

Quote:
With a motion resolution that blows your OLED out of the water I might add.

Quote:
Sorry, but this is placebo. Even madshi agrees.
If it had zero benefit he wouldn't have added it.

Quote:
If you actually cared about quality you'd have a 4k OLED by now. But you don't, so you like to argue on the internet to justify your purchases.
And you were talking about irrelevancy.. You should really research your display technologies before making such wild remarks. I have nothing more to say to you.

Last edited by ryrynz; 5th November 2018 at 11:11.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling