Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 26th March 2011, 18:29   #1  |  Link
Amateur

dts to ac3 or aac?

Trying my first blu-ray encode (the simpsons movie!). the main audio is dts-hd so i'm wondering what is a good choice for my conversion.

in tsmuxer there is an option to downconvert dts-hd to dts so should i choose this?

in megui, i normally do nero-aac but that is for television shows. since this is a major movie with quite a bit more detail, is it a good idea to convert the dts-hd to ac3 or aac?

should i just bypass the conversion all together when making the final mp4 file and mux back in the original sound with the encoded video? i would like the file to be compatible with ps3 and iphone/ipad so would this ruin that in any way? is this option overkill for this particular movie?

i currently do not have a home theater setup but i may get one in the future and don't want to have to worry about going back and changing my files should i get one.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 16:04   #2  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

You're not going to be able to make something for an iDevice that is going to be as good as you will need for a home theater.
ramicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 16:57   #3  |  Link
nurbs

Assuming you have an iPhone 4 you can make an mp4/m4v that can play on all your devices.

You'll have to use AAC for audio since that's the only thing all of those devices can decode in mp4.
The Apple TV 2 can also bitstream AC3, but I don't know if the same is true for the other Apple devices and the PS3 can't play or bitstream AC3 in mp4 at all AFAIK. I hear that people using the Apple TV 2 often add a 2 channel AAC and 5.1 AC3 copy of the same track to their files so that they get both compatibility and a high quality track.

The video will have to be H.264 High Profile @ Level 3.1 to work on all devices. I don't know what VBV settings the Apple devices need, but you can check Handbrake, which comes with profiles for the Apple stuff.
Quality won't be an issue, especially not with something like The Simpsons.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 17:03   #4  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

This is why I invest in storage space...to have space to have copies for different devices instead of a one-size-fits-all scheme for things. I have a 160 GB drive full of videos encoded just for my iPhone4 in 960x? resolution. And VBV would be 10,000. Not like The Simpson's Movie would cross that threshold anyway.

Last edited by ramicio; 28th March 2011 at 17:12.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:27   #5  |  Link
mindbomb

i like nero aac-lc, maybe with q=.65, and a dolby prologic II downmix.
you have to be careful with the video, since apple devices require main profile level 3.1 with a max resolution of 720p.
android devices have a 2gb file size limit, and consoles have a 4 gig size limit. i dont know what apple devices have in terms of a size limit, but keep that in mind.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 11:16   #6  |  Link
nurbs

Contrary to what Apple's website says their devices support High Profile just fine and the filesize limit is 4 GB AFAIK.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:36   #7  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

Why would anyone need a file to be anywhere near 4 GB for portable playback?
Old 1st May 2011, 23:32   #8  |  Link
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
*clip...* the PS3 can't play or bitstream AC3 in mp4 at all AFAIK... *clip*
if I make an mp4 with two audio tracks (one of them being untouched 5.1 ac3 and the other being aac encoded 2 channel stereo) would i be able to play on various devices? or does a ps3 not even recognize the file if it has ac3 as audio?
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:10   #9  |  Link
nurbs

The PS3 supports multiple audio tracks, so I guess it would work. I haven't tried. When people do that for the AppleTV they have to make the first track AAC for it to work AFAIK, so try that.