Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th August 2008, 00:06   #1  |  Link
PY2000

Importing and Clipping in Windows Movie Maker

Hello.

I am experiencing great difficulty importing and clipping existing video files on my pc, and from DVD’s generally, with Windows Movie Maker, which was included with my Windows Vista Ultimate OS.

While I have been able to create personal clips from video files already on or copied to my pc, I keep running into an issue after I import. When I right-click the video file to the option “create clips” WMM tries for a couple of minutes to create the clips, but then I receive a message telling me that it was “unable to import the file” or “the file is in use by another process” which combined just leaves me non-plussed. What other process? Clearly, I am doing something wrong but haven’t a clue what.

I also run into a problem, after the “create clips” fails, when I try to move the video file to the “timeline” window. There I receive the message that “no project can be over 24 hours” in which it also advises me to try reducing the file or “slitting” the file.

I have also attempted to “split” but when I do so and try to “Publish” the clip to my pc, each file is way too large from 5GB to 11GB so far. Naturally, I cancel those.

Am I mistaken that WMM is supposed to automatically create the clips from the main file once it is imported, because it has never done so.

A couple of friends have recommended AoA DVD Ripper and SONY Vegas and while AoA DVD Ripper does a great job the quality of the end result is awful. I have dl the SONY Vegas software but, at this writing can’t make a clip to save my life as it seems way over my head at this point.

Any easy software recommendations would be much appreciated.

I am hoping someone here can assist me with the issue I am having with WMM as I like the quality of the final clips I have been able to create.

Thank you for your attention.

Best,
PY2000 is offline   Reply With Quote