Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2020, 20:47   #59301  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazostat View Post
If I want to enable virtual 7.1 sound on my headphones, should I change the sound settings on wmpc + windows or not ?

Hi, please direct your non MADVR related questions to a more relevant area.
Old 21st April 2020, 20:47   #59302  |  Link
huhn

well not the best thread for this.

it really depends on multiply factors.
how good is the implementation of your headphones is.
alternatively you could use ffdshow audio for doubly headphones (i absolutely despise DH clipping simulator but that's just me) or even many other old hrtf implementation in this case you want it to be in stereo only mode.

then there is the free and "fine" microsoft sonic which needs no advanced setting you just have to make sure your headphone sor the software of them is trying to do virtual sourround so again stereo only mode.

and if you want to use the virtual surround function directly from your headphones you have to send the multi channel signal to the device/driver which needs a setup.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 21:33   #59303  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazostat View Post
If I want to enable virtual 7.1 sound on my headphones, should I change the sound settings on wmpc + windows or not ?
If you want to use virtual surround on your headphones you should use HeSuVi.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

It's got algorithms for tons and tons of virtual surround systems and plenty of knobs to tweak.

And you should configure your media player audio filters to output 8 channel PCM to the Windows audio mixer so that HeSuVi has all the information to mix into 2 channel headphone virtual surround.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2020, 23:53   #59304  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post

My point is, 10xx series is far more compatible at this point in time, there's NO REASON to buy turing for Madvr.
A lot of people have and use them without issues, they obviously had good reason performance being the main one. TETO.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:54   #59305  |  Link
toki

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
what do you mean with "it pushes RGB"?
red and yellows, plus contrast are pushed too much on a freshly calibrated display using the previous build.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 02:56   #59306  |  Link
SirMaster

So I tried more tonight to work on custom timings.

Stock nVidia 23Hz mode always had me at 4.40 minutes per drop/skip.

So I let madVR apply the EDID / CTA timings to my 23Hz mode and the mode went into my nVidia custom resolutions just fine. I rebooted and made sure it was still there and then applied it and started a movie.

Then I let it run for over 30 minutes and went into the optimize and this is what I get:

https://imgur.com/tQoFxPC

With the stock EDID / CTA timings that madVR picks up and uses I get 1.10 hours which is an improvement.

Problem is, I can't seem to improve any better than this. I tried to apply every single mode below on that optimize screen and every single one said out of range on my JVC NX5.

1.10 hours is definitely an improvement over 4.40 minutes, but I guess I thought I would be able to do better than that.

Is there a reason every single optimized timings that madVR came up with are out of range for my JVC?
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:31   #59307  |  Link
lazostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
If you want to use virtual surround on your headphones you should use HeSuVi.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

It's got algorithms for tons and tons of virtual surround systems and plenty of knobs to tweak.

And you should configure your media player audio filters to output 8 channel PCM to the Windows audio mixer so that HeSuVi has all the information to mix into 2 channel headphone virtual surround.
So it's much more than just pressing the button on my headphones. And what about the games? Sorry for the off-topic!
lazostat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:27   #59308  |  Link
hannes69

@SirMaster
So at least some success since the last time
Your custom resolutions seem to be transfered by madVR to nvidia driver and aren´t reset or overwritten.
So now you´re running into your display´s limitations.
Some displays accept a very wide range of porches/frequencies, others not.
Maybe you have a picky one.
Madshi uses an algorithm to make an evaluation of the given display modes, but in reality there are many more.
If you´re willing to there´s a chance for improvement, if you find out, which parameter gets out of range.
You have only 3 parameters to consider, because only three are changed by madVR: the pixel clock, the horizontal back porch and the vertical back porch. The combination of these three builds more or les teh custom resolution with a better or worse value for the drop/repeat time.
You can try to find out range limits by systematically changing only one parameter at one time. Do this within madVR or in nvidia driver, whatever you like (you say madVR works)
So: pixel clock shouldn´t have a lower limit. But an upper limit. Raise the pixel clock in steps until you get your device´s error message.
The porches can have upper limits and lower limits or sometime even multiplicator limits (the value maybe must be dividable by 2 or 4 or 8).
If you´re lucky, you´ll find only SOME restrictions.
If you´re unlucky, your device is very very picky and accepts ONLY the EDID one and rejects every other mode.
But: it seems that there must be a range of allowable input values, because your device seems to work with a mode with 4.4 minutes drop time and a mode with 1.1 hours drop time...
So when knowing the timings of your stock nvida 23Hz mode, then you already have a small guideline to find out the limits, maybe.

So fiddle with the 3 parameters (only one at one time) and find out more about your device´s capabilities.
Report back the results and then I can try to improve your custom resolution or we can find out that there is maybe no room for improvement. Depends on your device and your findings
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 14:21   #59309  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
@SirMaster
So at least some success since the last time
Your custom resolutions seem to be transfered by madVR to nvidia driver and aren´t reset or overwritten.
So now you´re running into your display´s limitations.
Some displays accept a very wide range of porches/frequencies, others not.
Maybe you have a picky one.
Madshi uses an algorithm to make an evaluation of the given display modes, but in reality there are many more.
If you´re willing to there´s a chance for improvement, if you find out, which parameter gets out of range.
You have only 3 parameters to consider, because only three are changed by madVR: the pixel clock, the horizontal back porch and the vertical back porch. The combination of these three builds more or les teh custom resolution with a better or worse value for the drop/repeat time.
You can try to find out range limits by systematically changing only one parameter at one time. Do this within madVR or in nvidia driver, whatever you like (you say madVR works)
So: pixel clock shouldn´t have a lower limit. But an upper limit. Raise the pixel clock in steps until you get your device´s error message.
The porches can have upper limits and lower limits or sometime even multiplicator limits (the value maybe must be dividable by 2 or 4 or 8).
If you´re lucky, you´ll find only SOME restrictions.
If you´re unlucky, your device is very very picky and accepts ONLY the EDID one and rejects every other mode.
But: it seems that there must be a range of allowable input values, because your device seems to work with a mode with 4.4 minutes drop time and a mode with 1.1 hours drop time...
So when knowing the timings of your stock nvida 23Hz mode, then you already have a small guideline to find out the limits, maybe.

So fiddle with the 3 parameters (only one at one time) and find out more about your device´s capabilities.
Report back the results and then I can try to improve your custom resolution or we can find out that there is maybe no room for improvement. Depends on your device and your findings
Thanks, I will try to narrow it down.

I find it strange because I know other people with a JVC NX projector who are able to use the optimized timings on theirs without it saying out of range.

I also tried this process on my pc monitor and also a Samsung TV I have and both those displays also rejected every single custom timing except the EDID / CTA one.

Either I’m really unlucky or something is going wrong.
Old 22nd April 2020, 14:21   #59310  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Hi there, quick Q:

I see a lot of posts about the drops per minute (or whatever the stat is).

Mine always shows 1 drop every 41 seconds, but then under dropped and repeated frames, it's always 0.

Is this a bug or something? Should I be doing something to get this to be longer?

I watched a movie, 1h 45m last night. 0 drops, but the OSD still has the same estimate. I'm on a GTX 1080.

Setup: Denon x4300h - JVC LX-UH1 Projector - 100" SnapAV Dragonfly Acoustic Screen

Last edited by Cowboydude99; 22nd April 2020 at 15:29.
Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:38   #59311  |  Link
PirateIce

Where you see "1 drop every 41 seconds" is always refering to the display's clock deviation, as you see further up, to correct this you would just switch to a better matching refresh rate. Smoothmotion fixes this mostly at the cost of some sharpness, you could turn it off and see if you see any jittery behaviour that you dont like.

Where you see "dropped frames" might just be showing the buffer/presentation glitches like a frame being lost in the buffer or switching to fullscreen, but not the actual display drops, not sure.
PirateIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:41   #59312  |  Link
hannes69

Do you have smoothmotion enabled? Then there are no drops or repeats.
Are the drops real or not (can you see a frame drop every 41 seconds or not?)
If you can´t see them, either there aren´t frame drops or you simply can´t perceive them
Or short: if you don´t SEE a problem, then there IS NO problem

If there are drops every 41 seconds and this bothers you, then use smoothmotion or reclock or custom resolutions (depending on taste and/or due to technical reasons like bitstreaming audio...)
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:47   #59313  |  Link
Cowboydude99

I am using smooth motion. W/o it, if the display is at 23hz or 60hz, there is noticeable judder. I was unable to find a solution to correct it. Seems to happen on other sources too, not just my PC w/ madvr, such as Apple TV 4K.

With judder, there are still no dropped frames, but it still says it will drop a frame very few minutes.

I don't notice them, so I guess to me there's no issue.

I would very much like to disable smooth motion, but can't take the judder.

I haven't tried the custom resolution option, but I have used the optomize in madvr. Even after successfully having madvr update the clocks, it still judders, which I believe is how my PJ handles 4k (eshift).

From what others are saying about my model (JVC LX-UH1), the internals up the refresh to 60hz internally, even if you feed it 23hz.
If you disable eShift in the PJ, it is very smooth at 23hz, as it should be, but you lose HDR and 4K... so smooth motion seems to be the best compromise I could come up with short of buying a new PJ.

Setup: Denon x4300h - JVC LX-UH1 Projector - 100" SnapAV Dragonfly Acoustic Screen

Last edited by Cowboydude99; 22nd April 2020 at 17:00.
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:14   #59314  |  Link
hannes69

Ok, when you´re using smoothmotion, then of course you don´t have dropped or repeated frames. Smoothmotion is one of the techniques to avoid frame drops.
The custom resolution option is the same like madVR´s optimization (madVR creates custom resolutions) or manually creating a custom resolution in the GPU driver or with CRU (EDID overrides) with using madVR´s numbers. The approach is always the same and the technique behind it is a custom resolution, you simply have different ways to create them.
When your projector handles internally all refresh rates as 60Hz, then you have to use 60Hz as refresh rate and use smoothmotion. You can´t change the internal behaviour of your projector by using custom resolutions or different refresh rates.
So yes, beside buying a new projector you are already using the best solution in your scenario and that is smoothmotion in your case.
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:43   #59315  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Yep! Thanks hannes69.

Watching a movie last night, the slight blurring wasn't something that I noticed too often. There was a pan sweep of up-close items, that was the only time....

Last edited by Cowboydude99; 23rd April 2020 at 01:10.
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:44   #59316  |  Link
fourbigkids

Stutter on 4K mkv files.

Hi all.

I am having a bit of a problem with stutter on my 4K mkv files. My HTPC's CPU is an Intel i5 8600 and GPU is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Windforce 6G OC. I use MPC-BE with madVR. MadVR was set up according to the instructions on the Kodi Forum here:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

1080p plays smoothly and looks great. I have 2 4K movies, and both stutter every few seconds.

The GPU is being overtaxed, as while these movies are playing it is working at 95-100%. With the current madVR settings the figure is about 40% for 1080p.

Attached is a link to the stats. Is there anything I might tweak in madVR in order to reduce the burden on the GPU and eliminate stutter, yet maintain quality in 1080p files?

Please let me know if there is any other information i can provide.

Cheers,

Allan

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajkfvd4XPdI2i8sx...UCO4w?e=9l2j74

Last edited by fourbigkids; 24th April 2020 at 03:03.
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 04:55   #59317  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Hi there.
I had issues with this recently. Check out page 1 of this thread. Look at the profiles section.

Make a profile for 1080p and one for 4K.

That will let you have different settings based on the resolution of the movie.

For 4K use lower settings.

Please note, I cannot see your attachment on my phone, but just thought I’d share.

Old 23rd April 2020, 04:57   #59318  |  Link
huhn

has nothing todo with your phone. attachment need mod approval.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 05:02   #59319  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Yes. I zoomed in and see it. Thanks.

Old 23rd April 2020, 15:25   #59320  |  Link
DMU

madVR OSD

Has anyone tried to create their own OSD using the madVR API?
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling