Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th December 2014, 07:51   #1  |  Link
galocza

trp files - cant play, open, edit or get info on

hello again,

the dreaded trp strikes again.

(the story which is boring and offtopic: there is a 50 years old tv movie which was never released on dvd or bluray or even vhs and is broadcasted once every few years. i love it and id really like to have a copy and it will be broadcasted 1 january 2015. At our parents house we tried to look up how recording works, got a few samples.)

our parents have a KAON NA1000HD satellite settopbox, we attached an external hdd, formatted it to ext3 and made a few samples and transferred the whole directory structure to a windows machine installing an ext3 file system driver. so far so good.
but i wasnt able to open the created trp file with anything, nothing recognized it. i tried mpc (the original), vlc, and a score of other programs i read about in the topics here and elsewhere including: hdvideoconverter, MPEG_Streamclip, ProjectX, pvas, trp-media-converter, tsMuxeR, TSPE, TsRemux, TSSplitter, XMediaRecode, MeGUI, Super, etc. i have to admit i didnt have much scientific method to my madness: in my desperation i dowloaded anything i came across and seemed to be able to handle trp files and tried them - to no avail.
vlc at least displayed the running time correctly but the other software gave me not recognized, no video stream etc errors.

i have windows 7 x64 with very few things installed videowise: ffdshow (default settings), haali (matroska) splitter, avisynth, virtualdub, mpc and vlc.

do i miss something? my trp files behave as this container format isnt usable for the programs even if their contents would be ok.
helpful guys here sometimes ask for a sample so i have came prepared and uploaded a relatively small sample (containing the whole directory structure in a 7zip archive split in two parts, im not sure whether one of the small files contains some important metadata):
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/J...RgqrXFoi9KBKyA

thank you in advance, id be very happy if i could record this program,
g
galocza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 18:21   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

It might help your effort if you post the name of the video here, rather than a link...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 19:13   #3  |  Link
galocza

thank you for your answer. im not sure what you mean by name of the video. if filename it is 'Contents.TRP' in the following directory structure:

D:\ts\2_720_pcm\contents.db
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\contents.db.backup
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\lost+found
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\video
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\video\00000ba8-142f-ef75-1265-8d-e3
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\video\pvr.txt
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\video\00000ba8-142f-ef75-1265-8d-e3\contents.db
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\video\00000ba8-142f-ef75-1265-8d-e3\Contents.NAV
D:\ts\2_720_pcm\video\00000ba8-142f-ef75-1265-8d-e3\Contents.TRP

the contents of 2_720_pcm were on the ext3 partition, and are all the files/dirs created while recording.
after some reading this evening and trying out new programs (im at about 25-30 now and all are supposed to at least open trp files - none did correctly) im less and less confident that these files can be opened and edited (or played except for the recording device). it seems that not all trp files are interchangeable and while most of them can be opened with everyday software some are in a more exotic format, depending on the device they were recorded with.
still, if someone who has experience with such files tried the one in the archive above and could verify that they are unusable id be more at peace with this.
thanks,
g
Old 26th December 2014, 20:19   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Probably your TRP file is encrypted, which is quite common for set-top box recordings.

I can't download your sample because sendspace has reached the "download limit".

Last edited by videoh; 26th December 2014 at 20:26.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 07:41   #5  |  Link
galocza

thank you for your reply.
the sendspace links work for me however i will upload the sample to somewhere else. if you could try it and check it i would be grateful.
(i suspected something like this - but encription, so that the user cant watch anywhere than the device that seems a bit overkill. i have an alternative method, a cousin has a media recorder box but it has only dvd resolution, analogue input and records probably cbr mpeg-2 in with low bitrates.)
thank you again for taking an interest,
g

new download link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!Zw4nzRpD!3dB0Xf...9GH5cN_swino50