Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2022, 15:06   #1  |  Link
rupeshforu3

procedure to halt Linux system immediately and safely without monitor which I tested

Hi Many of us use Linux desktop computer or even a server along with ffmpeg, opusenc, fdkaac etc., with optionally a secondary power supply such as ups etc.,. Many of of us but not all think to shutdown the system immediately and safely without turning on the monitor but don't know how to do so. I have found a solution and sharing with you which may help you.

I have asked many of you how to shutdown the system immediately and safely by pressing power button present in cabinet box without turning monitor on. Many of you suggested to buy a new apc ups or buy a RTL usb converter and connect ups with usb port and install a software etc. Some people suggested to click shutdown button in desktop environment etc.,.

But one person from tech enclave forum suggested a method and it working properly and I have tested a number of times. I am providing this method as it may help you and other people like me.

The procedure is as follows

Create a symbolic link in bash terminal as follows

Code:
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/poweroff.target /etc/systemd/system/ctrl-alt-del.target

After this press ctrl-alt-f4 which should bring or switch from graphics to console login prompt.

After this press ctrl-alt-del which will instantly start shutting down your Linux system safely and immediately, without any confirmation.

Here after pressing Ctrl alt F1 I am at graphics login prompt and after pressing Ctrl alt f2 I am at desktop environment and after pressing Ctrl alt f4 I am at console login.

The above may vary from Linux distribution to distribution so try to press ctrl alt F1 or ctrl alt f2 or ctrl alt f3 ctrl alt f4 keys and any one can bring you to console login. After that press ctrl alt del which will shutdown system immediately and safely.

Note that all these happened with in 15 seconds even when my monitor is turned off.

Try to share this thread with others.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
rupeshforu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 15:48   #2  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

sudo halt -p still works
Old 16th April 2022, 17:32   #3  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Suppose main power supply is off and there is no backup in ups.

Someone of you may have encountered such situation and at that time there is no chance to enter any command in terminal emulator because whole system may get switched off as ups is going to stop shortly.

Some people may neglect and at some times after some days ups may stop working. Previously as the system is not shut down properly file system may be corrupted and some times system hardware may get damaged.

Many people even don't use ups power supply at all because they don't know what happens after.

I have suggested what to do in such a hurry situations as ups can't supply power much time.

If you don't have power interrupts then you can neglect this thread totally.

Old 16th April 2022, 17:52   #4  |  Link
rupeshforu3

Any method can take atleast 90 seconds but the method I have given takes less than 15 seconds only that too without using monitor.