Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd May 2018, 08:10   #50541  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

In the latest Win10 there is a new power plan in Windows Power Settings called "Bitsum Highest performance" - might be worth checking our for those with issues using MadVr after upgrading.
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:13   #50542  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
In the latest Win10 there is a new power plan in Windows Power Settings called "Bitsum Highest performance" - might be worth checking our for those with issues using MadVr after upgrading.
I have mine at High Performance. I can't see what you are talking about on my system.
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:21   #50543  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
I have mine at High Performance. I can't see what you are talking about on my system.
Under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options there is a new power setting, as I mentioned above, and it may or may not help.
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:30   #50544  |  Link
svengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
If you install madVR in a folder with write access--for example, "c:\madvr"--the program itself will create/update the settings.bin file in that folder whenever you make a change to the settings. Otherwise, the settings are stored in the registry.

To make a backup, change any setting and save it. Then change it back again and save it. Now you'll have your backup. You can copy the settings.bin file somewhere else if you want.
Thanks , works like a charm !
svengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:35   #50545  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options there is a new power setting, as I mentioned above, and it may or may not help.
Maybe it is only for laptops. That power plan is NOT available on my desktops systems.
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:39   #50546  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Maybe it is only for laptops. That power plan is NOT available on my desktops systems.
If you read my signature, do you see a laptop?
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:44   #50547  |  Link
khanmein

@Betroz Disable FSE mode. The dropped frames caused by the freeze when you are entering full screen mode.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:48   #50548  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you try normal queue sizes?
Ok I lowered the queue sizes down to 8, and yes that helped. I only dropped 3 frames when I opened the file now. But as you see in this image, the render queue and present queue is still very low. Something is wrong or has changed.

Old 2nd May 2018, 08:49   #50549  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
@Betroz Disable FSE mode. The dropped frames caused by the freeze when you are entering full screen mode.
No it is not that. As I said, same settings as before 1803 update...

Edit : The frames are not only dropping in the beginning, they are dropping during the entire episode.

Last edited by Betroz; 2nd May 2018 at 09:00.
Betroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:02   #50550  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Updated to 1803, I have no problems with madVR on my 1060.
Same here with my 1080 and latest drivers. 1803 did hose my custom refresh rates, but I expected that since it also happens whenever I update the Nvidia drivers.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:06   #50551  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Well both me and cyberscott have the same issue, so the problem is not only with my setup.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:10   #50552  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Same here with my 1080 and latest drivers. 1803 did hose my custom refresh rates, but I expected that since it also happens whenever I update the Nvidia drivers.
The odd thing is though if I use Custom Resolution Utility, I can set a custom refresh rate for 23.976 and still get 12bit, but not if I use MadVr to set the custom refresh rate.

K
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:47   #50553  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Nvidia custom resolutions? Drivers are buggy AGAIN, most of the latest ones bork custom resolutions. I even tried 397.40 and failed to stick so back to 385.28 I go. Nvidia suck at software.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:56   #50554  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Ok I lowered the queue sizes down to 8, and yes that helped. I only dropped 3 frames when I opened the file now. But as you see in this image, the render queue and present queue is still very low. Something is wrong or has changed.
did you change other presentation settings like flush settings?

try the old back buffer presentation by disabling "present several frames in advance".
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:03   #50555  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Nvidia custom resolutions? Drivers are buggy AGAIN, most of the latest ones bork custom resolutions. I even tried 397.40 and failed to stick so back to 385.28 I go. Nvidia suck at software.
Do you honestly believe they change something about custom resolutions in every new driver that breaks it in new and fancy ways? Because I'm pretty sure they don't, because its likely a feature they just don't care about whatsoever. Its probably just not fully understood under which conditions it works right now, making you believe it breaks with different drivers again and again.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:13   #50556  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
did you change other presentation settings like flush settings?

try the old back buffer presentation by disabling "present several frames in advance".
I disabled "present several frames in advance" now, and it didn't help. The queues still go very low.

My point is that the 1803 update changed something. What I do not know. The fact that I can't use the same MadVr settings now that worked before kind of proves that. And as I said, I did a clean install aswell.

Could it be that BIOS and OS fixes for Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities is the culpit here?
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:31   #50557  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Do you honestly believe they change something about custom resolutions in every new driver that breaks it in new and fancy ways? Because I'm pretty sure they don't, because its likely a feature they just don't care about whatsoever. Its probably just not fully understood under which conditions it works right now, making you believe it breaks with different drivers again and again.
It's worse that that - I've been pulling my hair out over image quality/colour depth/full vs limited.

All I can say is i think there is a long standing bug that has been reported on the Nvidia forums (i've only just found out), that if you use Nvidia Colour Settings, both full and limited range are borked, and regardless of what setting I use on my display its wrong.

However, I have used CRU to create a custom 23.976 at 12bit, then choose Use Default Colour Settings, and Voila, perfect render chain at Full>Full>Full RGB at 12bit with one repeated frame every several hours (which will do me).

I really don't know who to kick - me or Nvidia!

I have disabled all Windows Updates, and certainly Nvidia (sticking with 397.40), as now I am extremely happy, at last.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 2nd May 2018 at 11:05. Reason: Typo
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:36   #50558  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
I disabled "present several frames in advance" now, and it didn't help. The queues still go very low.

My point is that the 1803 update changed something. What I do not know. The fact that I can't use the same MadVr settings now that worked before kind of proves that. And as I said, I did a clean install aswell.

Could it be that BIOS and OS fixes for Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities is the culpit here?
these are for CPU not GPUs...

and they do nothing for normal user and most important are part of older windows updates.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:41   #50559  |  Link
Asmodian

That doesn't seem right, I also have the BIOS and OS fixes for Meltdown and Spectre.

Did you turn the Windows game bar/game mode off again?

I am on 1803, 397.31, madVR v0.92.14 both 64 and 32 bit. MPC-HC and Zoom Player. Skylake X.

edit: I notice my composition rate is 23.976 while your's is 23.970. That is odd.

Last edited by Asmodian; 2nd May 2018 at 10:45.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:52   #50560  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
these are for CPU not GPUs...
I know, but the CPU feeds data to the GPU...

Maybe Madshi knows if Microsoft did any changes to Direct3D with the 1803 build.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling