Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 17th June 2017, 00:52   #21  |  Link
Dion

Thank you for this tool. I have been looking for a sar changer tool for awhile.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 15:55   #22  |  Link
DenisRodman

Hi videofan3d, thanks for CLPI.

I checked the conversion of CLPI for new discs The.Smurfs.2.2013.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY and Inferno.2016.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY all is well .

Can you add support for the conversion also for the *.bdjo file too?
Also for versions 200 and 300.
DenisRodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 19:26   #23  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Thanks for your work.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 21:38   #24  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
Thanks for the tool. May I ask for another feature in h264modify? Can you allow it to change the SPS and PPS id-values (both of the actual SPS and PPS and of the frames using them)? This would improve the ability to join different videos (with incompatible SPS and PPS) without reencoding, because one would only need to set the SPS and PPS id to different values before joining them. (Yes, I know that this is unnecessary for Blu-ray authoring because on a Blu-ray the SPS and PPS are simply repeated and can therefore be easily overwritten, but for mp4 and mkv it would allow to use the more space-efficient "out-of-band" way of transmitting the SPS and PPS.)
Hi,

could you please describe me in more detail (example) what do you request here?
And preferably also testing scenario for these cases, how can I emulate it...
videofan3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 17:49   #25  |  Link
videofan3d

BDTools 2.10

BDTools 2.10 released:

MPLS2JSON - added support for .bdjo BD-J object files and sound.bdmv (extracts also its WAVE content)
Old 25th July 2017, 05:01   #26  |  Link
DenisRodman

videofan3d, That's great!

Many thanks .
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:15   #27  |  Link
videofan3d

BDTools 2.20

BDTools 2.20 released:

h264Offset3D
- new tool for offset-metadata manipulation (subtitles in Bluray-3D) added
- allows extract, delete, replace, insert offset-metadata from/into dependent view elementary stream of Bluray-3D.
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:15   #28  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yeah! Thanks, especially for the new h264Offset3D !

Suggestion: Can you add the possibility to modify (or create?) the frame-packing value with h264Modify ? That value is used by many TVs and hardware players to switch automatically to the right 3D mode (SBS, T&B, Frame Alternate...) It is very important, especially if the player ignores the stereo-mode of the MKV header. The frame-packing can be set with x264's --frame-packing argument, but currently if you forgot it or if you use a wrong value, you're stuck, and you have to re-encode the whole video stream.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:18   #29  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Yeah! Thanks, especially for the new h264Offset3D !

Suggestion: Can you add the possibility to modify (or create?) the frame-packing value with h264Modify ? That value is used by many TVs and hardware players to switch automatically to the right 3D mode (SBS, T&B, Frame Alternate...) It is very important, especially if the player ignores the stereo-mode of the MKV header. The frame-packing can be set with x264's --frame-packing argument, but currently if you forgot it or if you use a wrong value, you're stuck, and you have to re-encode the whole video stream.
Hi,

regarding frame-packing.
I'm worried it is possible to add it (correctly).

Frame-packing is inserted as a SEI message, it is not just a flag. But main point is that it has also couple of parameters which are part of encoding process (and has impact on x264 encoding: you can easily verify that output files created with and w/o --frame_packing N are from image perspective different)!
Thus after such modification the image quality would not correlate with frame_packing_arrangement SEI message.
This would not be logical to make such hack.
(And beside this I don't know these parameters so I likely cannot insert correct frame_packing_arrangement SEI message).

I will check it later once more in detail if it is doable....
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:24   #30  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Most complicated is --frame-packing 5. I think you can get a good idea about potential problems from reading the x264 git log: http://git.videolan.org/?p=x264%2Fx2...=frame-packing
There you will also read about the optimizations x264 does for compression and compatibility.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:04   #31  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, as far as I know, only frame-packing 5 (Frame Sequential) has an impact on the way the video is encoded (because the motion vectors are computed with the even or odd frames only). And even in that case, I'm not sure it has an impact on the way the video is decoded at playback time. But perhaps I'm wrong and other frame packing methods are also optimized. It is perhaps possible, for example, to encode only once the parts of the images that are identical in the two views of a movie encoded in half-SBS, but I don't think it's the case currently.

But I didn't know that the frame-packing is stored as SEI messages, and that's obviously a good argument for not implementing it in h264Modify. Thanks anyway for what h264Modify can already do.
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:37   #32  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Yes, as far as I know, only frame-packing 5 (Frame Sequential) has an impact on the way the video is encoded (because the motion vectors are computed with the even or odd frames only). And even in that case, I'm not sure it has an impact on the way the video is decoded at playback time. But perhaps I'm wrong and other frame packing methods are also optimized. It is perhaps possible, for example, to encode only once the parts of the images that are identical in the two views of a movie encoded in half-SBS, but I don't think it's the case currently.

But I didn't know that the frame-packing is stored as SEI messages, and that's obviously a good argument for not implementing it in h264Modify. Thanks anyway for what h264Modify can already do.
I checked the format of particular SEI message - with certain assumptions it will be possible to add it (indeed only for accidentally omitted --frame-packing during encoding). I will work on this for next release...
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:46   #33  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofan3d View Post
indeed only for accidentally omitted --frame-packing during encoding)
What does that mean?
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:24   #34  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
What does that mean?
as R0lZ said: "... if you forgot it or if you use a wrong value, you're stuck..."
Old 4th August 2017, 08:35   #35  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofan3d View Post
I checked the format of particular SEI message - with certain assumptions it will be possible to add it (indeed only for accidentally omitted --frame-packing during encoding). I will work on this for next release...
Yeah! Thanks!

I suppose that the SEI message is regularly repeated during the whole movie. Right? I ask this because my current method to add the frame-packing when it is missing is simply to encode 1 second of black with the correct option, and merge the original movie after that "intro" with MkvMerge. My Samsung TV recognizes the 3D mode correctly when the movie starts and doesn't lose it during the playback, but I have the impression that my method is not correct and may not work with all players.

Anyway, we will have soon a better way to do it. :-)
Old 4th August 2017, 08:58   #36  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Yes, I think it must at least be repeated for every coded video sequence (GOP). Frame-packing 5 needs SEI for every view sequence.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 4th August 2017 at 09:01.
Old 5th August 2017, 05:47   #37  |  Link
DenisRodman

Hi videofan3d,

Can you add support for the conversion for the id.bdmv?
File path CERTIFICATE\id.bdmv
Old 5th August 2017, 13:10   #38  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisRodman View Post
Hi videofan3d,

Can you add support for the conversion for the id.bdmv?
File path CERTIFICATE\id.bdmv
Yes, I will add it.

Please note, that I work only with specification for version 200 (from 2011).

I didn't find official BD specification 300 yet - so I can only guess and hope that it is similar and adds only minor backward-compatible extensions (i.e. uses reserved fields).

Last edited by videofan3d; 5th August 2017 at 13:39.
Old 5th August 2017, 14:35   #39  |  Link
DenisRodman

videofan3d,

I understand you perfectly. It is difficult for you to work without having the necessary documents. Every new version of you I check on the disks of the UHD version 300. Testing the result pleased. Considering the fact that new parameters have been added in CLPI such as HDR and others, your program very competently conversion the code and reverse. Therefore, we all understand how you work. At you it turns out all.

Good luck and let's hope for the best .
Old 5th August 2017, 15:04   #40  |  Link
videofan3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Yes, I think it must at least be repeated for every coded video sequence (GOP). Frame-packing 5 needs SEI for every view sequence.
"frame_packing_arrangement" SEI messages can appear anytime it is needed to inform decoder about change of 3D format. They should appear in general after each Picture Parameter Set (PPS) NAL unit, and in case of mode "frame alternation" also before each frame slice NAL unit (to indicate if it is left or right eye).

These "frame_packing_arrangement" SEI messages constitute very sophisticated signaling system for 3D decoder. They have meaning "from now on use decoding method X". There is also message "stop 3D decoding".

This signaling system allows to include into one elementary stream several 3D methods and switch them accordingly on the fly.
Do you know why there is 3D method 6 = MONO?
It is intended to signal decoder that "from now on we have only 2D picture", however glasses should stay turned on and TV should display the same image into both L and R eye! (switching glasses on/off usually causes unpleasant glitches)

Apparently this was designed for broadcast but unfortunately nowadays it is over, and I doubt that decoders recognize all these 3D signaling messages....