Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 13th July 2016, 19:53   #4221  |  Link
me7

I just had a breakthrough setting it to '2,0'
Old 13th July 2016, 19:57   #4222  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

@mbcd & @me7:

At the moment I cannot reproduce triggering the issue, though I have a pretty good understanding what the problem is. I'd just like to have a way to reproduce it so that I can actually test any fix I'm going to implement for this.

If you haven't entered the preferences dialog yet, can you please send me your mkvtoolnix-gui.ini file to moritz@bunkus.org? See here where it's stored.

Can you please also tell me if this is a stored config you've loaded, if it's a job that has already been sitting in the queue from before the upgrade, or if this is a new configuration you've created with 9.3.0? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcd View Post
Value in Settings is at 0,3, tried to exchange the comma to a decinal point, but the GUI is not accepting in in this field.
That's to be expected as Qt (the GUI library I'm using) is using the OS's locale setting for displaying the decimal point. Internally the GUI and both are both only using the "." regardless of the locale. This is definitely not an issue; the issue is that somehow a very, very small floating point number that is not exactly 0.0 is finding its way into the GUI's processing. This shouldn't happen; if the value isn't present in the stored settings then the default 0.3 should be used. However, it obviously does happen.

Quote:
Thanks for your continouing hard work !!!!!
You're welcome

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 13th July 2016, 19:59   #4223  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by me7 View Post
For me, the input only accepts the European ',' comma. Can you tell me where the settings file is stored? I'd like to try to edit it manually.
Like I said in my other post: the comma is definitely not a problem. I'm running the GUI on a German Windows here, too, and for me the GUI's control uses a comma, too, but mkvmerge is still being called with the point as the decimal point instead of the comma. It's definitely something else. Please don't focus on the comma being present there. Thanks.

Old 13th July 2016, 20:06   #4224  |  Link
Jamaika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I've tried characters like German Umlauts (ä ö ü ß etc.), guillemets (» «) and others. In all cases both adding the file as well as muxing it works fine.
I have a letter "ó" in polish and don't want to export a. I had to replace the name on 111.mkv
Old 13th July 2016, 20:13   #4225  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Sorry, Jamaika, but I still don't get it. I've just named a file "rękopiśmiennych.avi" and muxed it successfully to "główną rolę w rozwoju książki.mkv". No, I don't understand those words, I just copy them from Wikipedia, but my point is: I cannot reproduce a problem with non-ASCII (non-English) characters here. And your English doesn't seem to be good enough to explain clearly what you perceive to be the problem.

Old 13th July 2016, 20:24   #4226  |  Link
Jamaika

Sorry, but there are some exceptions and I can't clarify. "Wybór.mkv". It's worry the others.

Last edited by Jamaika; 14th July 2016 at 03:53.
Old 13th July 2016, 20:28   #4227  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by me7 View Post
Same problem here. The Error message says: The probe range percentage '3.71878e-316' is invalid.
Alright, I can finally reproduce this Will be fixed.

Old 13th July 2016, 21:16   #4228  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I've fixed the issue causing the probe range percentage errors and uploaded new pre-builds for Windows. I'd appreciate some testing, and if the feedback is positive I'll release v9.3.1 ASAP.

Thanks for the quick feedback so far! I highly appreciate it.

Old 13th July 2016, 21:57   #4229  |  Link
MGarret

Just tried new 32bit pre-build and it works as it should. I tested 9.3.0 just few minutes ago and it failed on many files. Thanks for the quick fix
Old 13th July 2016, 22:09   #4230  |  Link
mbcd

Quote:
I've fixed the issue causing the probe range percentage errors and uploaded new pre-builds for Windows. I'd appreciate some testing, and if the feedback is positive I'll release v9.3.1 ASAP.

Thanks for the quick feedback so far! I highly appreciate it.
"Made in Germany" - Quality ... your fix works like a charm.
I deleted my old config-file and now it works with the standard "0.3" -value.

We have to appreciate your hard work, you spend a lot of your lifetime for us ... for free ... thanks again Mosu !
Old 14th July 2016, 03:12   #4231  |  Link
Ripman

Issue:
If I mux an mkv file with a DTS-HD MA audio track @ 192KHz, the resultant DTS-HD MA audio track has a sample rate @ 48KHz. v9.3.0/win8.1.

Process:
1. Used MakeMkv 1.9.10 to rip a blu ray audio disc that contains a DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track sampled at 192KHz.
2. Used Mkvtoolnix 9.3.0 to mux. Mkvtoolnix shows the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track as 192KHz. (Included files: screen shot of audio track showing sample rate, options-log files.)
3. Used Mkvtoolnix 9.3.0 to open the muxed file. DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track now at 48KHz. (Included files: screen shot of muxed audio track.)

I tried creating a sample that could be uploaded, but the split doesn't work (same reason as described above). What tool can I use to cut a sample (if needed)?

pre-mux: dts-hd ma 5.1@192khz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7g24fznde9...92khz.jpg?dl=0

post-mux: dts-hd ma 5.1@48khz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfe2y01obw...48khz.jpg?dl=0

I'll add this to the GitHub in a week or so if someone else cannot confirm. Thanks for the new version too.

options
Code:
--ui-language
en
--output
C\c\\1\\Part_II_t00_30secs.mkv
--language
0\ceng
--compression
0\cnone
--language
1\ceng
--track-name
1\cSurround\s5.1
--default-track
1\cyes
--compression
1\cnone
--language
2\ceng
--track-name
2\cSurround\s5.1
--compression
2\cnone
--language
3\cmis
--track-name
3\cSurround\s5.1
--compression
3\cnone
--language
4\cmis
--track-name
4\cSurround\s5.1
--compression
4\cnone
--language
5\cmis
--track-name
5\cSurround\s7.1
--compression
5\cnone
--language
6\cmis
--track-name
6\cSurround\s5.1
--compression
6\cnone
--language
7\cmis
--track-name
7\cStereo
--compression
7\cnone
(
C\c\\1\\Part_II_t00.mkv
)
--split
timecodes\c30s
--title
Part_II
--track-order
0\c0,0\c1,0\c2,0\c3,0\c4,0\c5,0\c6,0\c7
log
Code:
--- Output of job 'merging to file "Part_II_t00_30secs.mkv" in directory "C:/1"' started on 2016-07-13 21:41:10 ---
mkvmerge v9.3.0 ('Second Sight') 64bit
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'AVC/h.264'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 2: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 3: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 4: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 5: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 6: Using the output module for the format 'DTS'.
'C:\1\Part_II_t00.mkv' track 7: Using the output module for the format 'PCM'.
The file 'C:\1\Part_II_t00_30secs-001.mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
The file 'C:\1\Part_II_t00_30secs-002.mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 7 minutes 45 seconds.

Last edited by Ripman; 14th July 2016 at 04:43.
Old 14th July 2016, 04:22   #4232  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
I've fixed the issue causing the probe range percentage errors and uploaded new pre-builds for Windows.
I have a remuxed clip from my Interstellar Bluray stored for testing various things.
It was remuxed using: mkvmerge v8.9.0 ('Father Daughter') 64bit

The pre-build works whereas the official build fails for probe.

using: mkvtoolnix-64bit-9.3.0-build20160713-01262-0b20466

Thanks for the pre-build fix.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Old 14th July 2016, 06:43   #4233  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thanks for the feedback. A new release with the fix included will be out later today.

Old 14th July 2016, 06:45   #4234  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripman View Post
Issue:
If I mux an mkv file with a DTS-HD MA audio track @ 192KHz, the resultant DTS-HD MA audio track has a sample rate @ 48KHz. v9.3.0/win8.1.
Thanks for the report; so far I'm not aware of such an issue.

Please do create an issue on Github for and, and please upload a sample DTS file to my FTP server. You can create one with MakeMKV and split the resulting MKV with e.g. WinSplit — it shouldn't matter that the resulting file is missing certain Matroska structures; the important ones (segment header, track headers) should all be at the beginning.

Old 14th July 2016, 07:22   #4235  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v9.3.1 released

"Nothing major, mind you" I said. Maybe I shouldn't have

Yesterday's release v9.3.0 contains a rather nasty one causing a lot of errors from mkvmerge about an "invalid probe range percentage". As this affects everyone I've fixed the issue and am now releasing v9.3.1.

Apart from that fix it's the same as v9.3.0. It implements several enhancements requested by users, and of course it contains the usual list of bug fixes. Nothing major, mind you. But see below.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & Mac OS DMG and the source code.

The Windows and Mac OS binaries are available. Most of the Linux binaries are still being built and will be available in a couple of hours.

Here's the full ChangeLog since v9.2.0:

Quote:
2016-07-14 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v9.3.1 "Mask Machine".

2016-07-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: the GUI v9.3.0 was often creating an invalid syntax for the --probe-range-percentage parameter for mkvmerge due to uninitialized memory. Fixes #1741.
* Released v9.3.0 "Second Sight".

2016-07-10 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI: new chapter generation feature: two new placeholders have been introduced when generating chapters for appended files, <FILE_NAME> and <FILE_NAME_WITH_EXT>. The former will be replaced by the appended file's name without its extension; the latter with its extension. Implements #1737.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: when opening a saved configuration (via the menu as well as via drag & drop) the current tab will be replaced if it is empty ( = in the same state it is in right after creating new mux settings). Implements #1738.
* mkvmerge, MKVToolNix GUI: added an option for specifying how much of a MPEG PS or TS file is probed for tracks (--probe-range-percentage). Implements #1734.

2016-07-09 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: MPEG TS: considerable parts of the module have been rewritten. Due to its convoluted structure didn't buffer PES packets properly before trying to parse the PES header leading to invalid memory accesses in certain cases.

2016-07-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed overly long file type detection in some cases when text subtitle type probing read a lot of data due to there being no carriage returns near the start of the file.
* mkvmerge, mkvextract, MKVToolNix GUI: bug fix: several fixes to the handling of country codes. The list has been updated to reflect the currently valid top level domain country codes. Deprecated codes such as "gb" for "Great Britain" are now mapped to their updated values ("uk" for "United Kingdom" in this case). Fixes #1731.
* mkvmerge: WavPack4 bug fix: relaxed the stream detection criteria to only require the major version to be 4 and not to check the minor version. Fixes #1720.

2016-07-02 Chao Chen <tochenchao@gmail.com>
* mkvmerge, mkvinfo: new feature: added flags to support the Colour elements in the video tracks of Matroska containers. Users can use those flags to specify the colour space, transfer function, chromaticity coordinates etc. These properties are useful for correct colour reproduction of high dynamic range / wide colour gamut videos.

2016-07-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* configure: fixed the Qt detection with Qt 5.7.0 which now requires the compiler to be in C++11 mode.
* build system: libEBML v1.3.4 and libMatroska v1.4.5 are now required due to the usage of new elements introduced in libMatroska v1.4.5. The copies included in the MKVToolNix source code have been updated to those releases as well.

2016-06-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: MP4 bug fix wrt. DTS handling: mkvmerge will re-derive parameters such as number of channels and sampling frequency from the DTS bitstream circumventing invalid values in the track headers (e.g. a channel count of 0). Fixes #1727/1728.

2016-06-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: TrueHD bug fix: fixed detection of 96 kHz sampling frequency.

2016-06-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo's GUI: fix a crash due to wrong usage of referenced temporary objects. Fixes #1725.

2016-06-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: the default track languages to set can now also be set whenever the language in the source file is 'undefined' ('und'). This is now the default and can be changed back to the old behavior (only set if the source file doesn't contain a language attribute) in the preferences. Implements #1697.

2016-06-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: menus have been added to both the "start muxing" and the "add to job queue" buttons. The menus let the user override the preferences regarding clearing merge settings after starting to mux and after adding a job to the queue respectively. Implements #1696.
* mkvmerge: the warning about not being able to determine whether a raw AAC file contains HE-AAC/AAC+/SBR has been removed. Implements #1701.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: all file names are now displayed with their native path separators (e.g. "C:\some\where\output.mkv" on Windows). Implements #1298, #1456.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: the GUI now takes into account whether splitting is activated when looking for and warning due to existing destination files. Fixes #1694.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: the parser for the --default-duration argument was wrongfully handling arguments of the form "123/456i" (only this specific syntax and only with "i" as the unit; other formats and units were fine). This is part of #1673. Additionally the parser doesn't use the "double" data type internally anymore fixing loss of precision and failing test cases on certain 32bit platforms. This fixes #1705.
Have fun

Old 14th July 2016, 07:28   #4236  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu
Released v9.3.1 "Mask Machine"
Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 07:32   #4237  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Nothing like releasing a new version while eating breakfast Now I have to hurry to work. Have fun with it, and here's to hoping nothing else rears its ugly head.

Old 19th July 2016, 17:03   #4238  |  Link
Ripman

Quote:
Thanks for the report; so far I'm not aware of such an issue.

Please do create an issue on Github for and, and please upload a sample DTS file to my FTP server. You can create one with MakeMKV and split the resulting MKV with e.g. WinSplit — it shouldn't matter that the resulting file is missing certain Matroska structures; the important ones (segment header, track headers) should all be at the beginning.
I'm having a tough time splitting the source mkv so I can upload a sample. I tried using ffmpeg 2.2.2, and the split works, but the DTS-HD MA track also comes out at 48khz. Since ffmpeg yields a similar "issue," I'm inclined to believe that the source out of MakeMKV is problematic even as it shows as 192khz.

Either way, the first step is generating a sample, so I'm still working on that.
Old 20th July 2016, 04:43   #4239  |  Link
hello_hello

Thanks for the updates.

There's one very minor thing, and maybe it's just my brain nitpicking and everyone else will think I'm mental, but there's a couple of right click menu items that slow me down because my brain always does a double-take.
Every time I right click on an input file in the Merge pane to remove it, my brain initially ignores the "Remove files" option until it's checked the menu for "Remove file", and then double-checked the input files to ensure I only have one selected. Could the remove option be singular all the time, or singular when right clicking on a single item and plural for multiple items? Would it be better if it was simply "Remove"? I'm in the Merge pane and clicking on an input file, so I'm pretty much expecting to remove an input file.

In my defence, the old GUI had a button for removing input files instead of a right click menu and it was labelled "Remove", not "Remove File" or "Remove Files". I think it's the button labelling convention causing the right click menu to confuse my brain.

My brain usually does a similar double-take when it has to use "Remove jobs" to remove a single job from the queue. I'm certain I know when I'm only removing one job until the GUI confuses me.

In closing, I'd like to point out the right click option in the Job queue labelled
"Edit in corresponding tool and remove from queue"
isn't called
"Edit jobs in corresponding tool and remove from job queue".

Thanks.
Old 20th July 2016, 06:20   #4240  |  Link
hello_hello

I don't switch to the Job Queue pane very much. I create a muxing job, start it, then while it's running I work on the next job and click start so it automatically runs when the first one finishes, and so on.... and from that perspective a little more control over jobs from the Merge pane would be nice. I can add jobs to the queue, start them automatically, but not stop them or stop the job queue etc.

So I thought.... the section down the bottom of the Merge pane where currently some information about running jobs is displayed.... to me it's crying out to function as a kind of "minimised" version of the Job Queue pane, and it's a fair way toward that already, but.....

It displays the progress of the current running job without telling you what it is. Would it be hard to display the name of the currently running job just above where the statistics and progress are displayed? From there you could add a Stop button to stop the currently running job (because now you know what it is) and also an Abort button to stop the whole job queue. Then you'd have all the basic job queue control at the bottom of the Merge pane and switching to the Job Queue pane would only be needed for more "refined" editing of the job queue.
What if the right click "show job queue" menu item opened a sub menu showing you the names of the jobs in the queue instead of just switching you to the Job Queue pane? Maybe you could delete jobs in the queue that way or change their status etc, all from the Merge pane?

One last thought.... the drop down arrows next to the "start muxing" and "add job to queue" buttons are a nice addition.... thanks.... but the arrows are such a tiny little target. Would it be possible to also open the same menu items by right clicking on the buttons, or maybe by holding down the Shift key while clicking on the buttons, or something similar?

Thanks.

Last edited by hello_hello; 20th July 2016 at 06:35.
Closed Thread