Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th June 2020, 23:11   #801  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I have noticed after writing this post that my 2 uploads somehow have stuttering issues not solved after hours. They are both online at Youtube, but I am already checking the whole thing again just to confirm if this is only Youtube's doing or if they became this way after I combined them:

The 1st video has almost 12 hours (Youtube limits to 12 hours or 128 GB). This I believe has 60-70 GB:
LINK REMOVED. A NEW ONE IS BEING SENT RIGHT NOW, AND I ALREADY CONFIRMED IT'S OK. THIS ISSUE WAS FIXED BY FOLLOWING THESE TIPS

The 2nd video has 3 hours and more or less 22 GB:
LINK REMOVED. A NEW ONE IS BEING SENT RIGHT NOW, AND I ALREADY CONFIRMED IT'S OK. THIS ISSUE WAS FIXED BY FOLLOWING THESE TIPS

(Update: problem solved, I changed the audio to W64 and now the newer MKVtoolnix versions handle it just fine. Youtube is also showing the full video without issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-hAea-eYz8 - no more stuttering, probably caused by the old audio track). For the moment I gave up the idea of reencoding the video (in H.265 it would still be as much as good as it is now), which would in my calculations be reduced to 50% of its current size, because it would take too much time in my 2014 PC.

I recorded this content (Metal Gear Solid PS1 game) using an old software many will know... called FRAPS (which is crap and for years no one uses anymore).

Unfortunately I didn't use OBS at the time so the files end up being very big and reencoding the whole thing isn't something I am willing to do at this point (if it's done then the resulted file would have to be 98% similar in terms of PQ). But in this case I suspected before you posted this had nothing to do with the video, since in the past I remember having a similar problem:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...81#post1786481

In this case the total filesize is 95 GB and almost 15 hours. I had to split into 15 GB parts because that's the Google Drive free account max disk space, I use multiple accounts for backup. That's why I splitted back then. When I wanted to watch the whole thing I just had to append.

Last edited by Perenista; 13th June 2020 at 19:40.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 18:43   #802  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Would be possible to have an abort job in the Multiplexer window too, without having to switch to Job output one?
I don't want any controls working on the current job in the multiplexer window as it's completely intransparent which job they would actually work on. There might be something else entirely muxing currently, that has nothing to do with what's shown in the multiplexer tool at that moment.

Quote:
That plus a switch in preferences to remove or not the muxed file if a job is aborted.
You mean the incomplete output file(s)? Hmm… that I would consider. Please open a feature request for it over on Gitlab; makes it harder to forget about it again Thanks.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 19:44   #803  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

@foxyshadis
@lvqcl
Thanks for the great info. I tried --no-md5-sum and it works perfectly (though a WARNING is shown when encoding). If the correct MD5s are desired, I guess one can still append/split FLAC.mkv by
1 demuxing FLAC
2 decoding it to WAV (*)
3 remuxing it with the original MKV while disabling FLAC track(s)
4 MKVToolNix can append/split this
5 replace the audio in the resulted file(s) with FLAC, by demuxing WAV, compressing, and remuxing.
(*) or transcode it to WavPack so Step 5 will be unnecessary

@Mosu
Something very minor, not practicaly important: When the "second" is not integer in DateUTC, Header Editor's behavior is slightly inconsistent, e.g. the same time 01:23:45.9 may be shown as 01:23:45 or 01:23:46 depending on the year:
Original Date 2000-12-31 01:23:45.9 -> Header Editor shows 01:23:46
Original Date 2001-12-31 01:23:45.9 -> Header Editor shows 01:23:45
Header Editor doesn't refuse to write a "bad" Date not expressible as EBML, when it is specified by the user.
New Date 2293-04-11 23:47:16 -> Header Editor writes x = 0x7FFFFFFFCD0D2800 correctly.
New Date 2293-04-11 23:47:17 -> Header Editor overflows: 0x8000000008A7F200 = x + 10^9 is written (=1708-09-22 00:12:43.290448384). If Matroska lives long, eventually the year 2293 problem will occur...
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 18:47   #804  |  Link
Nejiro

When I use the program I sometimes get error or warning messages but when I click to go and see them it doesn't show me anywhere, where can I find them?
Thanks
Nejiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 18:49   #805  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Sometimes I have replace audio and subs from external sources. There is where real fun starts.
You just have to follow the proper naming scheme to make your batch muxing work Bulk Rename Utility is something I also use quite a lot with mkvmerge related things.
Old 16th June 2020, 20:20   #806  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejiro View Post
When I use the program I sometimes get error or warning messages but when I click to go and see them it doesn't show me anywhere, where can I find them?
The "job output" tool (last icon in the job selector on the left) contains the output of the currently running job. It's split into three panes: the regular output on the top, the warnings on the bottom left and errors on the bottom right.

For past jobs you can go to the "job queue" tool, right-click on the job that contains warnings/errors and select "view output" from the context menu. This will open a new tab in the "job output" tool and switch to that new tab. That tab will only contain the output/warnings/errors generated by that one job.

Old 16th June 2020, 22:03   #807  |  Link
Nejiro

Thank you so much
Nejiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 10:58   #808  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I have tried to mux some HEVC video to Matroska and I've found the orientation is lost, i.e. a vertical video on mobile becomes horizontal.

Is there any manual setting we can use to set back the original rotation or any tweak you can introduce?

Thanks.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:57   #809  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Is there any manual setting we can use to set back the original rotation or any tweak you can introduce?
You can/must use a Tag to rotate the movie. The official ProjectionPoseRoll element is not supported in the players today.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 14:28   #810  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
You can/must use a Tag to rotate the movie. The official ProjectionPoseRoll element is not supported in the players today.
Which tag allows me to do it? Where can I set it in MKV GUI?

I have looked at HEVC file with MediaInfo and there is a Video TAG, such as

Rotation : 90°

Isn't possible to have MKV GUI to automatically recognize Rotation and set the correct tag?

Last edited by tormento; 17th June 2020 at 14:48.
tormento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 18:38   #811  |  Link
Perenista

Using the delay for audio tracks usually works everywhere? Sometimes I introduce a negative delay for some audio tracks. Other times I put a positive one, also for subtitles. I know we can edit both cases and avoid using the delay field from MKVToolnix, but I think this will imply a reencode at least for audio.

What I find odd is that I once uploaded a video excerpt to Vimeo and the delay was ignored. The same video sent to Dailymotion worked as intended. And for both services I uploaded the same file.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 19:31   #812  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perenista View Post
Using the delay for audio tracks usually works everywhere?
Most often it works. But not always (as you found out). If you want to be sure you have to take the extra steps to pre-pend silence outside MKVToolNix. (Negative audio delays usually work because mkvmerge does delete audio frames, then).

Quote:
Other times I put a positive one, also for subtitles.
Subtitle delays should always work, at least with text subtitles.

Quote:
I know we can edit both cases and avoid using the delay field from MKVToolnix, but I think this will imply a reencode at least for audio.
Depends on the format and software you are using. Softwares like eac3to and delaycut may delay audio without re-encoding. If that doesn't work ffmpeg may be able to encode some silence which you can manually prepend in mkvmerge.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 22:34   #813  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Which tag allows me to do it? Where can I set it in MKV GUI?

I have looked at HEVC file with MediaInfo and there is a Video TAG, such as

Rotation : 90°

Isn't possible to have MKV GUI to automatically recognize Rotation and set the correct tag?
MKVToolNix has no Tags editor and the ROTATE Tag is not an official one.
You can use my chapterEditor -> MatroskaTools->Tags
In a SimpleTag set
TagName = ROTATE
TagString = 90 or -90
TargetUID = the type is TagTrackUID and the UID is the video track UID
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 16:05   #814  |  Link
vertigo220

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm just not understanding how it's supposed to work, but I have some audio files and some video files, the latter consisting of a single frame each. I'm trying to combine them into a file where each image displays for the duration of one of the audio files. I tried changing the duration/FPS, but since they're different lengths, that didn't work. I tried stretching them, but if I stretch them by the proper amount (which took a fair amount of trial and error to figure out), they show for the proper durations, but the file is twice as long as it's supposed to be. In this case, if the first audio file is e.g. 90s long, and therefore the first chapter in the final file should also be 90s, the chapter is actually 180s long and when it reaches 90s it jumps to the next chapter. But if I click in the timeline between 90s and 180s, it just "plays" all the way to chapter 2. If I cut the stretch factors in half, the total and chapter lengths are correct, but the images only display half as long as they're supposed to, so the image for chapter two in the above example would display at 45s.

Any ideas either on how to do this or whether this is actually a bug? It seems like one to me, but apparently I have to know for sure before reporting it as such.
vertigo220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 17:26   #815  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Hard to answer without having a sample file at hand. Video timings are usually(*) not related to chapters. You could try to manually set the timings for the video via timestamp (v2) files. https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvm...imestamp_files
(To check your output file let mkvextract create a timestamp v2 file for your video track or look into mkvinfo.)
If it still does not work I would say it is a problem of your player.

(*) if we ignore ordered chapters
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:16   #816  |  Link
jlw_4049

I was wondering if there was anyway to allow the extraction of the DTS CORE from DTS-HD files via the mkvextract CLI?
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2020, 17:22   #817  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Not directly, only via mkvmerge --reduce-to-core followed by mkvextract. Is ffmpeg an option for you? I think it should allow doing it in one operation (via -c copy and the "dca_core" bitstream filter).
Old 27th June 2020, 20:15   #818  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v48.0.0 released

Hey everyone,

summer's upon us, and surely we're all itching to stay at home some more, aren't we? Well, despair not, at least you can update your MKVToolNix version to the latest & shiniest there ever was.

This release features massive improvements to the handling of Blu-ray playlists (MPLS files) & corresponding MPEG transport streams (M2TS files), both bug fixes and real enhancements. See the news below for details.

Important news for package managers are the new reuquirements for libEBML/libMatroska & the main development branch having been renamed in my source code repo. Again, see the news for details.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 48.0.0 "Sick Of Losing Soulmates" 2020-06-27
New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: AC-3: file identification will report AC-3 tracks encoded in Dolby Surround EX as codec "AC-3 Dolby Surround EX". Implements #2740.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: on new installations the GUI will now recognize all known ISO 639-2 language codes in file names by default instead of only the top 100 of languages by native speakers.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: on new installations the list of "often used languages" will by default only contain certain agnostic ones ("multiple languages", "no linguistic content", "reserved for local use", "uncoded languages"), "English" and the default user interface language. The "list of spoken languages by native speaks" isn't used anymore. Also implements #2716.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: header editor: added an option to remove all attachments to the tree context menu. Implements #2835.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: while the GUI is running it will remember the last page that was selected when the preferences dialog is closed. Upon re-opening the preferences that page will be selected by default. Implements #2852.

Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: fixed a segmentation fault when exiting prematurely due to write errors such as the destination having run out of space. Fixes #2843.
  • mkvmerge: DTS: fixed wrong channel count for DTS tracks with XCh extensions. Fixes #2715.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: fixed detecting h.264/AVC and h.265/HEVC tracks that consist of only a single frame. Part of the fix of #2849.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: fixed handling of unbounded PES sizes for tracks that consist of only a single PES packet. Part of the fix of #2849.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: PGS subtitle tracks are now exempt from the "detect bogus subtitle timestamps" heuristic which could lead to some PGS subtitles not being timestamped correctly. Symptoms were that they were shown at the wrong time or that they were shown indefinitely. Fixes #2736 and partially fixes #2824.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: when reading MPLS playlists the start timestamps of a play items were handled wrong: all the timestamps of packets read were compared to that start timestamp, dropping those packets whose timestamps were smaller than the play item's start timestamp. The correct behavior is to accept all packets as soon as the first one with a timestamp equal to or larger than the play item's start timestamp is encountered. This could result in PGS subtitle entries located right at the start of the play item being garbled/lost as they consist of multiple PES packets for which some timestamps are often slightly smaller. Part of the fix of #2824.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: when reading MPLS playlists mkvmerge will no longer read the whole M2TS files they reference, processing only the packets lying inside the timestamp range given by the playlists's play item's start & end timestamps. Instead mkvmerge will use the index information present in corresponding clip information (CLPI) files in order to seek to the nearest file position of the play item's start timestamp. Additionally mkvmerge will simply stop processing a file once the end timestamp is seen. This change greatly speeds up processing files from which only small portions must be read. Part of the fix of #2824.
  • mkvmerge: WavPack: fixed support for files created by v5 of the program. Checksums, DSD audio data and non-standard sampling rates are handled correctly. Patch by David Bryant.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: fixed the cursor being positioned wrong after entering or pasting characters that aren't allowed in file names into the "destination file" control. Fixes #2855.

Build system changes
  • libEBML v1.4.0 and libMatroska v1.6.0 are now required.

Other changes
  • The source code repository's main development branch was renamed to "main".

Have fun

Old 27th June 2020, 22:56   #819  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Not directly, only via mkvmerge --reduce-to-core followed by mkvextract. Is ffmpeg an option for you? I think it should allow doing it in one operation (via -c copy and the "dca_core" bitstream filter).
Thank you sneaker! I was asking for the ability to extract/reduce to core when creating a GUI.
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2020, 20:54   #820  |  Link
andiandi

Cut and open GOP question

I wondered if the cut was GOP accurate ?

Because on specific videos, it's impossible to know, AFAIK, if it's open gop or not.
andiandi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska