Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 22nd November 2021, 16:46   #41  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes got that - its what I meant.
Also, found out that my GTX 1070 Founders Edition has only 5 ports (I said 6), 3 Display Port (I thought 4), 1 HDMI port, and 1 DVI.

I don't think Linux Mint has set auto zoom 150% thingy, there's so much additional real estate, maybe I keep it like that for the moment at least.

EDIT: I've had to increase height of Linux Mint Panel [Taskbar], was way too small.

EDIT: Gone to feed the ducks [in the dark, just about dusk now]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd November 2021 at 15:12.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2021, 20:40   #42  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
EDIT: Samsung deserves a good 'kick in the stones' for the 75x75mm VESA mounting, where the ubiquitous 75x75 and 100x100 dual plates just will not fit into
the Samsung U55R vesa recess,
That's really annoying, but good that everything else is okay.
Old 22nd November 2021, 21:35   #43  |  Link
gispos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I did try with some FHD music videos that I've seen many times on FHD monitor, and found that I badly noticed that my attempts at framerate doubling were
not very successful, nasty interpolation swirls and stuff in fast motion when viewed 1080p scaled to UHD - its bad that I noticed but is more that I did not
notice (or as least not as much) on the FHD monitor.
Back then, back in the time of the tube monitor, I also had a few videos that I watched over and over again with pleasure.
Then came the new flat screen that I was looking forward to so much.
The problem was now that I could no longer watch my favorite strips with pleasure... the video quality was suddenly terrible.
Old 23rd November 2021, 15:18   #44  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
the video quality was suddenly terrible.
Thats progress for you

Anyways, I'm happy, but 10bpc is disabled in NVidia settings for some reason, I'll get around to figuring out why at some stage,
maybe needs GTX1070 or U55R firmware update or something.

EDIT: I got a bread maker machine a few weeks back [never had one before], clearly the novelty has not worn off yet
as I'm waiting now for another 1:40:00 before the bread is ready so I can go feed the ducks, geese, swans, moorhens, and coots,
with nice fresh baked bread. [I'll have 1 bit of crust with some Marmite (or peanut butter) myself, they can have the rest]

EDIT: Dang, loaf is nearly touching the window [~2mm off], maybe I used a little too much lime juice.
[ Lime juice high in vitamin C, yeast loves vitamin C, makes for quicker, better rise. (Jif, more convienient than vitamin C tablets or powder, better than lemon {more C})]

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd November 2021 at 18:36.
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:10   #45  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

A few links I have with monitor reviews:
https://tftcentral.co.uk/
https://pcmonitors.info/
https://www.trustedreviews.com/type/monitors
https://monitors-uk.com/
https://www.prad.de/

I could not use a monitor with a low (60Hz) refresh rate because I can see unpleasant trails when the display moves such as a scrolling webpage. I purchased a BenQ VA panel from Amazon around 5 or 6 years ago and really disliked it because it left terrible trails on certain colours. I use black backgrounds and webpages would show very distracting motion artefacts which I could not tolerate so I sent it back. White text on black backgrounds seem to show up monitors that cannot handle motion very well in some cases whereas black text on white background do not show a problem. I got a 144Hz monitor which was a lot better although the colour was fairly poor. Many monitors are great for stationary pictures but are poor with motion. VA panels can be terrible and there are articles on youtube showing the effects encountered with VA panels. VA panels do have one benefit with regard to contrast which is around 3x higher than IPS panels. BTW don't knock gaming or dismiss a monitor because it says it's a gaming monitor because they can provide much better pixel response times than none gaming monitors. My monitor is capable of 144Hz over displayport and DVI DL but I tend to run it at 120 Hz because my graphics card can downclock to it's lowest frequency when running at 120Hz but, the memory in particular, runs at a higher clock for any refresh rates above 120Hz.

Off topic: BTW cooking/baking Vitamin C will destroy it because it is very heat sensitive. It's the cabon dioxide which is produced by yeast consuming sugar which makes bread rise. Sodium bicarb and an acid, or baking powder (sodium bicarb & acid) can also release carbon dioxide which can help bread to rise.

Last edited by RedDwarf1; 23rd November 2021 at 19:13.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:38   #46  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
BTW don't knock gaming or dismiss ...
I would not do that, for gaming, pretty much everything has to be the best, much more so than
for an office typists PC where PC would spend 99% of its time waiting for a key to be pressed.
(However, I dont play games)

I would love a 240Hz monitor, but us paupers gotta be more conservative in our choices,
also, any short-comings in the monitor I've just got, I can put down to my lousy eyesight [so long as nobody points out the real problem],
self delusion can be a good thing and make for a happier life.

And Yes, we just wanna keep the yeast happy whilst its still alive.
(I actually had to leave house about dusk to feed ducks and bread was still hot, did not have time for marmite crust so they got that too,
did not seem overly perturbed that bread was hand hot - they loved it).
[many of the geese got out of the water when they saw me coming, so did not have water cooled bits o' bread].

EDIT: Sodium Bicarb, Citric Acid, and Tartaric Acid [Cream of Tartar] make a nice sherbet, add to bubbling toffee and you've got Cinder Toffee.
[Add to toffee at end and be ready to take off heat QUICK as it rises bloody fast like Vesuvius - stir with wooden spatula]
EDIT: "nice sherbet", Like Barratt's Sherbet Fountain, the one from years ago in yellow tube with stick of liquorice tube/straw sticking out the top.
[powdered citric acid and tartaric acid - to be like Barratt's Sherbet Fountain]:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barratt-She.../dp/B0046D5XK4

EDIT: When I was a kid, was about 3 OLD pence for Barratts Sherbet Fountain, thats about 1 new pence [ £0.01 ], now £6.69 for 12,
is that inflation, or daylight robbery.

EDIT: Oops, Cinder Toffee is just toffee and Bicarb, but sherbet makes for a sherbet-y cinder toffee.
Cinder toffee, AKA yellowman, sponge toffee, puff candy. [When covered in chocolate, known as Crunchie in the UK.]

EDIT: q) Is it called Outlook365 because its sooo slow ?

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th November 2021 at 01:06.
Old 24th November 2021, 17:25   #47  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

In case you missed it, if you shop on the following link it pays your selected charity each time that you shop Once you go to the link it will ask you to select your chosen charity. At least it gets a little something back from Jeff Bezos.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/
for other Amazon countries use>
Code:
https://smile.amazon.
and add the correct top level domain for your locality ie com, de, fr, in, it etc. Amazon does provide a service to direct to the local Amazon for affiliates who set that up but I am not involved with that. I seem to remember/believe that Amazon will remind you if you visit the Amazon site not using the smile link so that you can redirect to the correct URL to get the charity donation.

I avoid sugar so it has been well over thirty years since I look at sweets and then only in very small amounts.

On topic, when selecting a monitor I chose one which my graphics card could cope with because anything higher than Full HD would of been difficult for my mid range graphics card when doing advanced 3D such as Unigine Valley, Heaven and Superposition and similar graphics cards tests. For some of them my GTX1660 struggles to maintain a usable frame rate. Gaming is similar. A second monitor would be nice but I will have to wait for that. 2x 24" FullHD monitors should fit on my desk than anything larger.

For the OP, monitors frequently have "acceptable" faults such as dead pixels, Back Light Bleed, display uniformity errors and delta E, colour accuracy.
I purchased an X-Rite i1 Display Pro after I purchased the VA panel to calibrate it but nothing could get that monitor into an acceptable state which is why I returned it. It came in useful for the next monitor I purchased and I did manage to get the contrast ratio over 1000:1 it was something like 1040:1 but it has been some years since I did it and cannot remember precisely.

If this would bother you then I recommend that you do not go looking for it. There are some real monitor horror stories out there.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 19:24   #48  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Got my two monitor arms today [1 day early], sadly the screws I sent for also turned up but are about 6mm M4 grub screws, so totally useless to me
What I ordered, 4mm Machine Screws/Bolts M4 x 16mm A2 Stainless Steel Pozi Pan Head Mch Screw (20 Pack).

Had to get some from local shop.

I have never really been one for sweets, once every couple of years I binge on chocolate for a few days, then dont want it
for another couple of years. Liquorice an exception, love that, espc real liquorice [not confectioners liquorice, hard stuff that shatters when you drop it - not sweet - used as laxative].

(something for RedDwarf1) Fantastic Swimmer:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4TLto-nKfU

EDIT: Monitor arms now both set up.
More desk space, and can have monitor a little further back which is nice.
They can both swing forward giving access to rear of monitors.
Main monitor dont lift up quite as high as I would like, but that it due to Samsung UR55 having VESA mount high up on back of monitor.
All-in-all I'm very happy with the Gas Assisted mounts, probably order another one for my No 2 machine tomorrow.
(As it turns out, the screws supplied with mounts were adequate for the job using a 6mm nut as a stand-off because of bad vesa recess design).

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th November 2021 at 18:38.
Old 1st December 2021, 00:18   #49  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Got the Samsung UR55 doing 4K 10 bits per channel, and simultaneous 2nd monitor 8 bpc on an HP 19" VGA [HP L1910] via a Display port to VGA adapter.
Had problems where VGA monitor kept blacking out, sometimes temporarily, then maybe permanently.
Possible problem item, GTX 1070, DP->VGA adapter, VGA cable, or VGA monitor. Sent for pack of 3 DP->VGA adapters and they worked fine so was adapter at fault.
Could not get UR55 doing 10 bits per channel at 4K using Samsung supplied 4K HDMI cable, maybe cable not rated for 4K 10bpc, or maybe my GTX 1070 HDMI not
high enough version for 10 bit. Anyways, I had already gotten (some time ago) a 4K Display port cable, and that works just fine at 4K 10bpc.
My GTX 1070 is Founders Edition (first edition that other manufacturers eg MSI use as base design), maybe old firmware.

OK, so now I got 10 bpc, so what do I do with it? [just seems to use more GPU watching a {8 bit} movie].

How is it going GisPos ?

EDIT: For 10 bpc, apparently W10 requires at least 1809, and minimum nVidia driver version,
got Linux Mint doing 4K but not yet 10 bpc [linux only on driver version 470.xx, think requires at least either 471.xx or 472.xx].

EDIT:
Quote:
W10 requires at least 1809
Methinks I remember needs {at least} 1809 2nd edition, ie they updated 1809 setup ISO some time later (maybe in 2019 or 2020).

Last edited by StainlessS; 2nd December 2021 at 18:44.
Old 13th January 2022, 19:56   #50  |  Link
BombiAlana
I am

I have a 27-inch 144Mhz monitor and it is quite enough. Dell company.
BombiAlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 15:37   #51  |  Link
xofaho

Guys, I have a question about Samsung monitors. Are they worth buying or not?
xofaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 17:56   #52  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I'm happy with mine[UR55 60hz], but then I dont think I've seen a good 4K 10bpc monitor.
I've now seen a couple of 4K HDR10 movies, and defo better than FHD.

Got "The Martian" on DVD, and then got it on Blu-Ray FHD a couple of weeks ago,
and now also got it yet again, extended version 4K HDR10, thats why I never wanted blu-ray,
did not want to dump my dvd collection and start again, well
I guess that its turning out even worse than I imagined.