Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 24th June 2011, 07:54   #1  |  Link
benqsiemens

[ASK] Is muxing and extracting affect quality

Hello everybody. I am new to this forum. I am new about video & audio encoding and I am learning it by researching through the internet. I have a question, please help me.

"Is extracting & muxing affect the quality ?" (example: in order to include subtitle from my own language on a mkv; and remove the unneeded one, I must extract the streams and muxing it with the new subtitle; minus the subtitles that I don't need). I prefer all streams (in this case: subtitle) contained in just 1 file (just the mkv), buat if the process of extracting and muxing will degrade its quality, I think I have to leave it on separate subtitle file when played. I am using GUI based mkvextract and mkvmerge on that process.

Thank you everybody and I am sorry for my bad English, because it is not my native language.
benqsiemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 08:51   #2  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

You don't have to worry about quality of video, audio or subtitle when you are only re-muxing your files. The original streams remain intact, they're only re-packaged to same (or different if wanted) type of container=output file.
BTW Welcome to the forums, you'll surely find answers to all your questions around here
kypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 09:40   #3  |  Link
benqsiemens

Thank you

Thank you for your quick answer "kypec". Now I am confident to merge subtitle on my own language into the container since the quality will not degrade. I will do it on my entire collections.

I think on this case it looks like archiving with zip or rar (the contents will not change) or something like that, is that correct ?

Yes, I think I will learn much in this forum, I have read many threads here now, learning some newby guides, and I think many friends here have high knowledge and willing to help each others. Thank you.
benqsiemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 04:17   #4  |  Link
mswaino2

The quality of the files used will not change just from muxing and extracting them again. Thats only an issue if your re encoding the files.
Old 10th July 2011, 05:39   #5  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by benqsiemens View Post
in order to include subtitle from my own language on a mkv; and remove the unneeded one, I must extract the streams and muxing it with the new subtitle; minus the subtitles that I don't need).
No need to extract. Open the MKV, uncheck the stream you don't need and add your new one, then mux.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extract, mkvextract, mkvmerge, mux, quality