Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2017, 09:00   #44521  |  Link
varekai
Suspended for forum rule violations

use Direct3D 11 for presentation?

Using madVR + PotPlayer
Should I enable rendering/general settings/
-->use Direct3D 11 for presentation<--
on a Win7 Geforce GTX 960 SLI setup?
If so what's the benefit?
Thanks...
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 09:09   #44522  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
If I advance the movie many times, the render times are increased (from 30ms to 75 or 90ms) and never again are as at the beginning (For example the normal render time is 24ms in fullscreen for this movie and it increases to 90ms or more than 100ms).
I notice that every one of your rendering times doubles so it really looks like your GPU is down-clocking, it is possible to have the GPU clock get forced to a very low value by the drivers. You don't see anything odd in Afterburner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
-->use Direct3D 11 for presentation<--
on a Win7 Geforce GTX 960 SLI setup?
If so what's the benefit?
Thanks...
madVR hates SLI, for what it is worth, you get better performance with it actually disabled. Disabled for only madVR or the video player is not enough.

DX11 allows 10-bit in FSE mode (or, with Win10's new HDR mode, also in windowed) and is a little more responsive. Nothing significant, usually. Check out the link in my signature for more info.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th August 2017 at 09:15.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 09:17   #44523  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

There might be a new madVR version next weekend, but not this. I'll reply to all your posts when the next madVR version is released. Please have a bit patience until then.

For now, I've something for you to play with:

http://madshi.net/madCustomRes.zip

It's currently a standalone tool, soon to be integrated into madVR. This tool allows you to create custom resolutions, refresh rates and timings, with Nvidia, AMD and Intel GPUs. The tool uses private APIs of the 3 GPU manufacturers. I think my GUI is nicer than those of the GPU manufacturers, plus mine has some extra features. Once I integrated this into madVR, I'm also planning to automatically measure your display modes and suggest optimized custom timings, so you can get smooth playback without any frame drops/repeats, without using Reclock.

Unfortunately the private GPU APIs are all buggy. I've already posted bug reports to AMD and Nvidia, Intel to follow soon. So it will be an uphill battle to make all this work as expected. But I hope we'll get there, eventually. Biggest problems right now are that Nvidia only seems to accept *new* custom modes, for resolutions/refresh rates that don't exist yet, but Nvidia doesn't seem to allow timing overrides for standard modes like 1080p23, at least not on my PC. And Intel has serious problems, too. AMD is the least problematic, but not bug free, either.

Please use this at your own risk!!

You *could* end up with a display mode which the display doesn't sync to. In that case if a reboot doesn't help you may have to fix the problem in safe mode. I recommend that when creating custom timings that you don't create them while you're in the same mode, just to be safe. So e.g. if you want to customize 1080p23 timings, don't do this while your GPU is in 1080p23 mode. Instead switch to e.g. 1080p59 mode while you're working on 1080p23 timings. This way you can after your modifications switch to the new 1080p23 timings "on trial" and the OS will auto switch back if you don't confirm the change within 15 or 20 seconds.

Feedback welcome.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 09:23   #44524  |  Link
varekai
Suspended for forum rule violations

@Asmodian
OK thanks for the info, appreciated.
Been using madVR with PotPlayer and GPU's at SLI for a long time and all formats I throw at it looks great. Will do some testing and see if anything changes for the better.

Regards

Last edited by varekai; 5th August 2017 at 09:24. Reason: .
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 10:18   #44525  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

madshi
Detect only first monitor - so can't set params for second and other monitor/TV
Old 5th August 2017, 10:22   #44526  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Move the window to the secondary monitor then it should auto switch to that. Once it's integrated into the madVR settings dialog, it will automatically work for the display you've selected, of course. For now the tool affects the monitor it's positioned on.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 10:30   #44527  |  Link
hajosattila

hi Guys!

I would like to create a 3D LUT profile for madVR, however I am not sure if I should leave the Tone curve under the Calibration menu at "As measured" or shall I rather go with the "Rec. 1886" option. What's the difference?
I would also really appreciate if you could take a look at my other settings if they are right.

TV: Samsung UE55H6500 (FHD) | Colorimeter: X-Rite i1Display Pro | Source: Blu-ray REMUX (FHD) | latest madVR and MPC-HC nightly

Thank you very much.

sorry for my English...

hajosattila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 10:51   #44528  |  Link
huhn

leave it "as measured".
the "calibration" for your display is just reading your display and is not calibration that's done by creating the 3D LUT. (very simplified)

the default settings for the madVR 3D LUT are in general correct.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 11:18   #44529  |  Link
hajosattila

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
leave it "as measured".
the "calibration" for your display is just reading your display and is not calibration that's done by creating the 3D LUT. (very simplified)

the default settings for the madVR 3D LUT are in general correct.
Thank you huhn!
hajosattila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 12:20   #44530  |  Link
SweetLow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Unless SmoothMotion accounts for that of course and allows tiny deviation without blending.
As i remember madshi wrote that madvr doesn't blend frames if target frame have very high proportion of blending (say for example 99% of first source frame and 1% of second frame) but i don't remember if he said exact limit. May be on next week he will say more.
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 13:20   #44531  |  Link
x7007

Hi,

when I'm trying to play 4K@24FPS HEVC-BT.2020 Life_of_ Pi_draft_Ultra-HD_HDR which is like a demo of life of pi . And I enable windows HDR , running with potplayer+ madVR 91.11 I have black screen when trying to go Full Screen Windowed mode, when staying windowed mode everything fine. when I'm with teamviewer trying to run the movie everything is fine in Full Screen Windowed mode.

Nvidia 1080 384.94
LG55C6

What could be the issue ?
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:45   #44532  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There might be a new madVR version next weekend, but not this. I'll reply to all your posts when the next madVR version is released. Please have a bit patience until then.

It's currently a standalone tool, soon to be integrated into madVR. This tool allows you to create custom resolutions, refresh rates and timings, with Nvidia, AMD and Intel GPUs. The tool uses private APIs of the 3 GPU manufacturers. I think my GUI is nicer than those of the GPU manufacturers, plus mine has some extra features. Once I integrated this into madVR, I'm also planning to automatically measure your display modes and suggest optimized custom timings, so you can get smooth playback without any frame drops/repeats, without using Reclock.

Unfortunately the private GPU APIs are all buggy. I've already posted bug reports to AMD and Nvidia, Intel to follow soon. So it will be an uphill battle to make all this work as expected. But I hope we'll get there, eventually. Biggest problems right now are that Nvidia only seems to accept *new* custom modes, for resolutions/refresh rates that don't exist yet, but Nvidia doesn't seem to allow timing overrides for standard modes like 1080p23, at least not on my PC. And Intel has serious problems, too. AMD is the least problematic, but not bug free, either.

You *could* end up with a display mode which the display doesn't sync to. In that case if a reboot doesn't help you may have to fix the problem in safe mode. I recommend that when creating custom timings that you don't create them while you're in the same mode, just to be safe. So e.g. if you want to customize 1080p23 timings, don't do this while your GPU is in 1080p23 mode. Instead switch to e.g. 1080p59 mode while you're working on 1080p23 timings. This way you can after your modifications switch to the new 1080p23 timings "on trial" and the OS will auto switch back if you don't confirm the change within 15 or 20 seconds.

Feedback welcome.

My god, this is a dream come true, please show me a donation link, I mean it.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:52   #44533  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Maybe it would be a wise idea to force the user to switch to a different refreshrate first when attempting to edit the active one. Or at least show a big fat warning.

What does "reset gpu" do? I assume revert to default settings. A tooltip would be useful.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 15:26   #44534  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:

Feedback welcome.
I thought this would be a one-click and forget setup automatically done by madVR itself. Maybe a video tutorial would be useful for noobs.

P.S. It works perfectly after gpu reset and reboot.

Last edited by sauma144; 5th August 2017 at 19:35.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 15:30   #44535  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
I thought this would be a one-click and forget setup automatically done by madVR itself. Maybe a video tutorial would be useful for noobs.
It's currently a standalone tool, soon to be integrated into madVR
Old 5th August 2017, 18:04   #44536  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:

Feedback welcome.
Hey madshi, great to see that this project is coming to fruition. Here's a bit of feedback.

GPU : GTX 1070 (latest stable drivers)
Monitor : LG OLED B6V TV
Media setup : MPC-BE x64 (latest official beta), madvr (latest stable), lav filters (latest stable)

I used the tool to change these 5 resolutions:
- 2160p23
- 2160p24
- 2160p50
- 2160p59
- 2160p60

Every resolution was available if I unchecked the "show native res mode only". I was able to go into the edit window and get a picture if I clicked "test mode". But I did get an error upon applying the settings on some resolutions:
- 2160p23, 2160p50 worked (custom timings applied and the app asked for a reboot or gpu reset)
- 2160p24, 2160p59, 2160p60 were a no go (generic unknown driver error)

Did some quick testing with the new 2160p23 resolution : the clock deviation reported by madvr definitely went down (-0.00033% when stabilized) and it announced a frame repeated/dropped every hour insted of the usual 4/5min without Reclock. Weird thing though: I had to use FSE to get these stats, using windowed fullscreen was giving me the same clock deviation, but i was getting a frame repeat every 5 minutes. The new resolution was used by calling the madvr refresh rate switcher (2160p23), or launching the video with it already applied.

Quick note : by using FSE, I lose HDR completely, using either the nvidia or win10 API.

Don't hesitate to ask for more feedback / tests, I'd be glad to help.

Anyway, keep up the great work !

edit : a way / tool to reset every changes made would come in handy too !

Last edited by mitchmalibu; 5th August 2017 at 18:14.
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 00:34   #44537  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Some people say NGU AA
Thank you very much! I wanted to try something from the NGU palette since there might be some imrovements over bicubic smooth for anime and low res content

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Just enable it and see.. Take you two minutes. Hint. Not ever NGU sharp.
I wouldn't use NGU sharp with movies either, unless having a large screen and a good distance from the screen. I am staying 0.5m away from a 25 screen, so sharp filters are a tad too strong for those eyes
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 00:37   #44538  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:

Feedback welcome.
Super cool job, Madshi!

Will test and let you know how it works!

Hope you have fun in there while working on the next version of madVR, the current one has proven to be tons of fun to use!
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 01:54   #44539  |  Link
Fullmetal Encoder

Quote:

You *could* end up with a display mode which the display doesn't sync to.
Forgive me, but how would this ability help those of us with monitors that can only operate at 60hz? I'm a little worried that this might fry my monitor.

Incidentally, I was looking at the specs for some modern LCD monitors and was pleasantly surprised to see that more and more of them are natively supporting standard video modes like 24p at affordable prices.
Fullmetal Encoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 03:12   #44540  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I notice that every one of your rendering times doubles so it really looks like your GPU is down-clocking, it is possible to have the GPU clock get forced to a very low value by the drivers. You don't see anything odd in Afterburner?
I do not see anything strange. In fact, when this happens, I quit Afterburner And the problem continues. I only OC: Core Voltage, Power limit, Temp limit and Core Clock. Dont touch Memory Clock (I think it does not make sense)

Only happens with luma quadrupling set to direct quadruple -> very high.

it's strange

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling