Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2021, 12:34   #981  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
I used to be able to cut off audio/sub tracks that ran longer than the video with the split function. This no longer works.
Nothing has changed wrt. splitting for a long time now. If it worked before for you, that was certainly by accident, or the situation was subtly different with the files.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:54   #982  |  Link
DavidRyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Can you please do two things:
  1. Upload your settings file to my file server. Include your user name in the file name (or create a directory with your name) so I can associate it with you.
  2. Get the latest continuous build and give that one a try. I've fixed several issues over the last couple of days that may very well be the cause of what you observed. Try this without deleting the settings file first.

Thanks.
OK, I've:
- Uploaded settings file to your server, folder named "DavidRyan"
- Tried the latest continuous build and sources open fine from the button now. Tried a couple of times (as wasn't sure if it worked once last time and then failed or failed from the time I used the build) and all seems good so far.

Thanks.
DavidRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:20   #983  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Great. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 3rd March 2021, 00:06   #984  |  Link
Atlantis

Language is not recognized. When adding movie.English.srt for example, it doesn't recognize English. It worked with the previous versions.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:07   #985  |  Link
Atlantis

What has happened to this software. It's been 2 hours I'm unable to add a subtitle with MKVToolNix recognizing the language. Tried almost everything .English.srt .en.srt .eng.srt in () and other stuff. It does not recognize.
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:13   #986  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
What has happened to this software.
Revert to an earlier version until it's fixed or someone can help.

Windows
macOS
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:15   #987  |  Link
Atlantis

So everyone has this problem too or is it just me?

Update: I just went to 53 and it is working. The problem is with 54. It was driving me crazy.

Last edited by Atlantis; 3rd March 2021 at 01:19.
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:45   #988  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
What has happened to this software.
Be patient and let Mosu do the needful. Improvements very often come with temporary regressions. IMHO, it's a fair price to pay for improved functionality and new features.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:12   #989  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I can reproduce it with default settings & will look into it. As a workaround:
  • Open the preferences, go to "Multiplexer" → "Deriving track languages"
  • Under "Recognized languages" remove all languages from the "selected" list
  • Under "Recognized languages" re-add those languages you want recognized back to the "selected" list

The default is to recognize all languages. That doesn't seem to work anymore (v54 added tons of new language codes).

Old 3rd March 2021, 12:14   #990  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Technical details why it isn't working out-of-the-box with v54. The problem is a combination of two separate issues.

v54 added ISO 639-3 language codes. That list is loooong: 7.143 entries. Those codes should be deactivated by default in order not to overwhelm users. The user has to enable them in the "Often used selections" part of the GUI's preferences.

Unfortunately the "deriving track languages" selection always includes all 639-3 codes, no matter what the checkbox in the "often used selections" is set to. This is the first issue.

For deriving the track languages the GUI creates a regular expression (regex) of all the possible matches; usually both the two- and three-letter-codes and their English names (so that it'll recognize "fr", "fre" and "French" for… well… French, obviously).

Now, if all 7.143 languages are enabled (which they are by default) the resulting regex is a bit bigger than 100 KB. While there are regex engines that can handle such large regexes, the one used by the Qt project (the well-known "pcre" = Perl-compatible regex library) can't, or at least not without recompiling it — its limit is at 65.535 bytes (yeah, they use two-byte numbers for string offsets).

And that's issue two.

The first issue is easy enough to fix. The second, however, is a problem as I have to redesign how the GUI derives languages. I definitely cannot use a regex of all enabled languages; it'll have to be something else.

Luckily there's an easy workaround: deactivate most languages in the "deriving track languages" preferences and only enable those you actually want to use.

Old 3rd March 2021, 14:00   #991  |  Link
DavidRyan

Just been trying out the new IETF BCP 47 language tags, and I would appreciate any feedback in terms of best practice. I identified an audio track as the Hokkien / Min Nan dialect as spoken in Taiwan, so used the "nan" tag. I got the warning that it was a valid tag but would show up as "und" in applications which don't support this yet. Which is fine, would rather my files were tagged correctly and other apps will surely catch up in time. But I notice in the header editor there is also that entry for language which is currently "und", in the line above:

I read your recent wiki on languages which specified that mkvpropedit would also fill in the legacy tag based on the BCP 47 tag, but that mkvtoolnix wouldn't at this stage - if I do it myself and put, say, "chinese" in this example, would there be any problem with that? Just wanted to check before tagging a bunch of files.

Last edited by DavidRyan; 3rd March 2021 at 14:23.
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:02   #992  |  Link
Atlantis

Please add support for recognizing forced subtitles. Like:
movie.English.Forced.srt
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:14   #993  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRyan View Post
if I do it myself and put, say, "chinese" in this example, would there be any problem with that?
That should be fine. My goal was twofold:
  1. Do the right thing automatically whenever possible.
  2. Don't force the user to make too many choices.

The first goal was met by always providing the BCP47 language control and deriving the legacy language to set from the BCP47 value.

The second goal was met by not providing extra controls for the legacy language controls.

Of course the drawback is that the user loses fine-grained control for cases where there is no way to set the legacy value correct automatically. That's a drawback I was willing to make.

From the point of view of the specs, though, there are no restrictions set on the BCP47 and corresponding legacy elements. You could set BCP47 to German and legacy to Spanish, for example; wouldn't make much sense, but it wouldn't violate the specs either.

And that's where it ties back to you: the choice of using "und" for legacy for BCP47 values that don't have an ISO 639-2 code was meant as a default. You're free to change the legacy values to "chi" or whatever else fits your need best. Both the GUI's header editor as well as mkvpropedit allow editing the legacy value independently of the BCP47 value for that purpose.

Old 3rd March 2021, 15:14   #994  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Please add support for recognizing forced subtitles. Like:
movie.English.Forced.srt
I won't.

Old 3rd March 2021, 15:41   #995  |  Link
DavidRyan

Quote:
And that's where it ties back to you: the choice of using "und" for legacy for BCP47 values that don't have an ISO 639-2 code was meant as a default. You're free to change the legacy values to "chi" or whatever else fits your need best. Both the GUI's header editor as well as mkvpropedit allow editing the legacy value independently of the BCP47 value for that purpose.
Great, thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 16:24   #996  |  Link
Atlantis

Quote:
I won't.
Could you please explain more why not?
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:48   #997  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Could you please explain more why not?
Because it's hard to get right (= without having files flagged that use the word "forced" somewhere but which is actually part of the movie title) and I simply don't want to spend the time.

Old 4th March 2021, 04:47   #998  |  Link
kuchikirukia

Neat, I just figured out you can copy cells from the info tool. There's no indication that you can do this since clicking in it highlights the entire row, and there's no right-click "copy" option.

I've been manually entering the timestamps for the segment ending in ordered chapters for a couple years now when apparently I could've copy/pasted it the whole time.

Oh, minor quibble, but entries in the chapter editor don't stick unless you click on another chapter or Edition Entry.

>Open two chapter files in separate tabs
>copy and paste one chapter 2 start time to its chapter 1 end time
>move to the second chapter file tab
>Use the "copy to other tab" function to copy a chapter over
>go back to the other tab. Chapter 1 end time is still showing, but if you click out of it it disappears.

Last edited by kuchikirukia; 4th March 2021 at 09:31.
kuchikirukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 11:31   #999  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Neat, I just figured out you can copy cells from the info tool. There's no indication that you can do this since clicking in it highlights the entire row, and there's no right-click "copy" option.
That's functionality that's built into Qt. It isn't MKVToolNix-specific.

Quote:
Oh, minor quibble, but entries in the chapter editor don't stick unless you click on another chapter or Edition Entry.
Yep. That's by design, mostly, and not something I'm willing to spend time on.

Old 5th March 2021, 20:55   #1000  |  Link
Perenista

Why is it that now MKVToolnix can't split files that use diacritical signs without messing with the filenames?

This bug was not happening in prior versions.

I tried splitting two different files and the bug appeared in both.

The last file I checked had the acute accent. MKVToolnix changed this:

á

Into this:

á

Using: Windows 10-64 bit.

Note: I told this program (54.0.0) to split a 15.8 GB MKV into two parts with 15200M each one. That was needed to fit a single Google Drive free 15 GB account (so 14.84 GB).

Last edited by Perenista; 5th March 2021 at 21:01.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska