Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th October 2016, 16:51   #39701  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
Not exactly 'disable', but bypass, using Overlay mode, requires Nvidia GPU, and should also give slightly better performance, but it has a few cosmetic issues.
Overlay works with intel too
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 18:10   #39702  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
I'm currently investigating f.lux, as it might be the reason this is happening. I've been using it for a very long time and in the past it didn't give me problems. But in July I updated to Windows 10 and later Anniversary... not using often fullscreen on my desktop PC (I usually watch movies from HTPC) I might not have noticed this before.

Activating f.lux "Safe Mode" seems to solve the problem. As it doesn't significantly impair f.lux performance or functionality, all should be good. In case it could help madshi understand, Safe Mode in f.lux does the following (per their FAQ):

1. It disables our layered window for compatibility with some older machines. 2. It disables all polling we normally do to ensure that we're the active color profile.
Safe Mode is a must otherwise your render times will be insanely high.

Windows 10 will be adding a flux like blue light filter reduction in Red Stone 2, due out in Spring 2017. Flux will no longer be needed then...
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 19:02   #39703  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Overlay works with intel too
Sure, but I don't consider Intel GPU an adequate choice for madVR use.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 21:51   #39704  |  Link
sauma144

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There will be a new madVR version in maybe 2-3 weeks or so (maybe longer), with a brand new algorithm that you guys will probably like a lot.
We are getting closer!
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 23:55   #39705  |  Link
GCRaistlin

I've changed HD5770 with HD7850 but still have for one of my BDRemux:
Code:
upload queue 2-4/8
render queue 2-4/8
present queue 0-2/3
Dropped frames number increases all the time. What can be the reason? Video driver was reinstalled with cleaning the system up. WinXP SP3.
It's with madVR default settings. MPC-HC loads CPU at almost 100%.

Magically yours
Raistlin

Last edited by GCRaistlin; 13th October 2016 at 00:06.
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 00:56   #39706  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
MPC-HC loads CPU at almost 100%.
Well that'll be the problem then. Isolate that, is it due to the complexity of decoding the video? Try other video decoders. It's likely not related to madVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 01:18   #39707  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Decoder queue and subtitle queue are almost full though. I use internal LAV decoders. Switching hardware decoder on/off has no effect.
Anyway, why the present queue is so low in comparison to the render queue if madVR has nothing to do with the issue?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 02:24   #39708  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Decoder queue and subtitle queue are almost full though. I use internal LAV decoders. Switching hardware decoder on/off has no effect.
Anyway, why the present queue is so low in comparison to the render queue if madVR has nothing to do with the issue?
If it's like you said a BD-Remux, then it shouldn't be a decoding issue, although you didn't post your config, so maybe your CPU is as ancient as your OS?
Only a few features in madVR run on CPU, i.e. Zoom control, IVTC and deband 'fade' detection, neither of which could stress the CPU that much with a 1080p/i content.

You didn't provide us with much information, so you're gonna have to exclude as many variables as you can yourself and post your findings.
I didn't see you mention trying different player, video renderer, decoder, resetting madVR or LAV to default settings etc.
Old 13th October 2016, 04:55   #39709  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Code:
upload queue 2-4/8
render queue 2-4/8
present queue 0-2/3
Dropped frames number increases all the time. What can be the reason? Video driver was reinstalled with cleaning the system up. WinXP SP3.
Look at your render time...is it over the 42ms for 24p content? If so, then you need to lower your settings.

I use very large queues. 128 for CPU and 24 for GPU and 16 for render.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 13th October 2016 at 06:43.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 07:23   #39710  |  Link
ryrynz

Defaults aren't exactly demanding so it seems your hardware is beyond ancient? CPU should NEVER be at 100% regardless and this will cause issues.

Quote:
You didn't provide us with much information, so you're gonna have to exclude as many variables as you can yourself and post your findings.
I didn't see you mention trying different player, video renderer, decoder, resetting madVR or LAV to default settings etc.
All basic stuff, should try these things before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Look at your render time...is it over the 42ms for 24p content? If so, then you need to lower your settings.
If he's running defaults then all other similar resolution/fps content should have the same issue, which apparently they don't. The CPU usage is an obvious issue, best starting there
with the things ibius mentioned.

Last edited by ryrynz; 13th October 2016 at 07:52.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 08:56   #39711  |  Link
Murmeltier

How do I configure madVR into a state prior hdr processing was introduced? Is the default option "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math" the way to go or do I have to use "passthrough HDR content to the display"?

What happened to that performance issue the anniversary update to Windows 10 introduced? Does it still persist? We're talking about milliseconds but that time obviously could be used in much more valuable manner.
Murmeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 10:33   #39712  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Not exactly 'disable', but bypass, using Overlay mode, requires Nvidia GPU, and should also give slightly better performance, but it has a few cosmetic issues.
Using "enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer)" did nothing for me. And, as mentioned, I use a GTX980.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Windows 10 will be adding a flux like blue light filter reduction in Red Stone 2, due out in Spring 2017. Flux will no longer be needed then...
I think we will need to see about that. F.lux does something different from all other blue filters I've seen. On Android the difference is night and day with all other similar apps.

In any case, for future reference: if you use Flux or more correctly F.lux with madVR, you need to select F.lux Safe Mode, otherwise you'll have serious problems when going fullscreen in video playback.

The above meant for search engines spiders.

Last edited by ashlar42; 13th October 2016 at 10:38.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 11:25   #39713  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
The problem is jriver media center is working correctly and mpc-hc/be aren't. I'm randomly getting 23.976 or 24 in the latter while jriver is always 23.976.
So I tried it again yesterday. I set madvr to do the switching once I finally found the location for it, thought it had been taken away from the latest versions of madvr.

Anyway, if I just play the video, it seems to switch and work fine at 23.976, but as soon as I try to see any settings, on mpc-hc/be, it jumps out of exclusive and switches to 24fps. Any ideas on this, it never used to do this on the old computer.

So normal procedure is its external player for kodi, launch video in kodi it seems to be fine, but if I need a menu in mpc-hc/be for whatever reason it will switch to 24 and won't go back.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 11:27   #39714  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Code:
upload queue 2-4/8
render queue 2-4/8
present queue 0-2/3
I use Lav, it sounds like you aren't getting hardware decoding working, otherwise the cpu should be at 30% or less, likely 10% or less, look at lav video when playing and see if it says its using hardware. Also for me using internal Intel graphics, I had to dumb down madvr to the most basic settings or it overloads the gpu.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 11:30   #39715  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Wouldn't be the first time f.lux is causing problems, two programs vying for complete control of the screen usually ends badly. It's also worth pointing out that for maximum image quality you're best of disabling f.lux during playback, as they don't bother to use dithering which results in quite horrible banding.
f.lux degrades the image and colors up to the point where it's questionable as to why madVR anymore if f.lux will destroy the image anyways...
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 12:05   #39716  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
can you please upload a screen from the OSD (control+j). and a screen from lavfilter?

a 5770 is more than enough to run madVR.

there must be reason why you have 100% CPU usages. madVR can't be the reason for that it's not really using the CPU.

giving information of the CPU and used PCIe speed may help.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 12:14   #39717  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

He is on Windows XP, there is no hardware accelerated decoding on XP, so thats all thats to it. Add to that a CPU that needs 100% to decode the video, and voila. Once you get close to 100% its likely that some component won't get enough power anymore, in this case apparently madVR.
Old 13th October 2016, 16:10   #39718  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
We are getting closer!
Maybe for this weekend!
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 16:40   #39719  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
He is on Windows XP, there is no hardware accelerated decoding on XP..
Sure there is, I remember using CUDA in CoreAVC and then CUVID in your filters. All you need is .NET Framework 4 and maybe adding/replacing dxva2.dll, don't remember anymore.
Old 13th October 2016, 18:10   #39720  |  Link
huhn

he is not going to use CUVID with an AMD card.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling