Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 5th January 2014, 10:09   #961  |  Link
Nexin

I missed this software encoder over the years it's a shame the name is LameXP. The name Lame I have associated over the years with mp3 only.

OT: Mp3 has very bad sound even from cd source to highest bitrates. Thankfully aac has come to our rescue it's a shame it is apple that released it. Now we have hardly no decent aac encoders. Wait for newer better than aac encoder that is also freely distributed without limitations for all to use.

I think more the answer will be as always lossless audio now that people are getting higher bandwidth fibre connections with storage options. Where Lossless always been easy to use with optical discs as cd, dvd, bluray and storage devices hdd including now larger capacity hdd TB drives, memory drives for pc, hardware and portable devices. Exception sdd that is still very expensive 2014 compared to other storage solutions also not so good with having only 10 year life limitation of all data on sdd disk. Other bdxl where is the 256gb disks even very few places sell bdxl blueray discs has been many years now since it was released (optical media consortium are at fault for this lazy) or maybe a better products is near that has scarred the optical consortium members.
Nexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 11:28   #962  |  Link
Octo-puss

Anyone else wondering what does that post have to do with LameXP?
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 16:57   #963  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post
I missed this software encoder over the years it's a shame the name is LameXP. The name Lame I have associated over the years with mp3 only.
Maybe I should officially rebrand LameXP to:
Superduper Anything to MP3/Vorbis/AAC/FLAC/Opus/APE Converter 2014 XXL Pro Ultra+ for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1

Joking aside, this program once started as a very simple LAME encoder GUI for WindowsXP, which was limited to WAVE to MP3 conversions - thus the name.

More and more features (like more encoders and decoders) have been added over the past 10 years of development. But I just never felt like "updating" the name of the program.

It's partly because that's the name people know for almost a decade now. And partly because I'm not very creative in thinking up names

(Note: I know that Windows XP will reach end-of-life, once and for all, in a few months. I plan to support XP for a few more years though. But then I really need a new name!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post
OT: Mp3 has very bad sound even from cd source to highest bitrates. Thankfully aac has come to our rescue it's a shame it is apple that released it. Now we have hardly no decent aac encoders. Wait for newer better than aac encoder that is also freely distributed without limitations for all to use.
Now that statement, which indeed is a bit off-topic, sounds mostly like a rant to me:

If MP3 at 320 kbps still doesn't sound transparent to your ears, you must either have an exceptional hearing ability, your were using a crappy MP3 encoder or something with your testing method/environment was borked

According to ABX tests, most people agree that LAME can achieve transparent quality way below the maximum bitrate:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....coder_settings

Furthermore, AAC is generally superior to MP3 at lower bitrates. But as the bitrates increase, the perceptual differences diminish - because at one point both formats will be transparent.

So if you want decent quality at ultra-low bitrates, AAC (or maybe nowadays Opus?) will obviously be a better choice than MP3. But if you are using medium to high bitrates, you can achieve great quality with any of them

Last but not least: There is FFmepg's AAC encoder, FAAC, Nero AAC encoder, QAAC (Apple/iTunes encoder) and libfdk_aac (Fraunhofer FDK encoder), just to name a few. How many AAC encoders do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
Anyone else wondering what does that post have to do with LameXP?
Except for the first statement - not much.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th January 2014 at 15:31.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 18:44   #964  |  Link
Octo-puss

Rest assured you do NOT need new name. People get used to a name after some time, and don't even think about its meaning anymore :P If it works, don't fix it - as a programmer you should know better
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:24   #965  |  Link
justonce01

Question:
When using the Custom Encoder Parameters under Advanced Options, do the parameters get "added" to the other settings or do I have to write the complete line there?

Example:
I've set up all the things under Compression (selected bitrate) and under Advanced Options things like LAME Algorithm Quality and Channel mode. I also want to add the --noreplaygain parameter. Now do I just add --noreplaygain (as pictured below)

or do I need to add everything else too (as pictured below)?

justonce01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 13:35   #966  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
When using the Custom Encoder Parameters under Advanced Options, do the parameters get "added" to the other settings or do I have to write the complete line there?
Custom parameters are added on top of the parameters that LameXP would generate normally, so you should avoid setting the RC-mode or bitrate there.

You can also inspect the complete command-line in the log, just to be sure...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 17th January 2014 at 15:29.
Old 17th January 2014, 17:33   #967  |  Link
justonce01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Custom parameters are added on top of the parameters that LameXP would generate normally, so you should avoid setting the RC-mode or bitrate there.

You can also inspect the complete command-line in the log, just to be sure...
Nice, thanks for the clarification.
justonce01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 18:54   #968  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.09 RC-1:

Quote:
Changes between v4.08 and v4.09 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 RTM
* Complete overhaul of the file analyzer, resulting in up to 2.5x faster file import speed
* Reworked the application initialization code, resulting in notably faster startup speed
* Added encoding support for Monkey's Audio (APE) format, including APEv2 tagging support
* Improved file analyzer to retain the original ordering of files imported from a playlist
* Improved internal encoder API, so each encoder can define its own configuration options
* Improved splash screen and working banner, using "sheet of glass" effect on supported OS
* Improved dropbox widget, including proper multi-monitor support
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.1 and Opus-Tools to v0.1.8 (2013-12-05)
* Updated Monkey's Audio binary to v4.12 (2013-06-26)
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.16.0 (2013-10-06), compiled with GCC 4.8.1
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.70.0 (2013-10-19), compiled with ICL 14.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.67 (2014-01-10), compiled with ICL 14.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated GNU Wget binary to v1.14.0 (2012-08-05), compiled with GCC 4.8.1
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.16 (2013-12-13), compiled with GCC 4.8.1
* Fixed a resource (file descriptor) leak in "static" builds, didn't cause much harm though
* Various bugfixes and code improvements

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 19th January 2014 at 18:35.
Old 19th January 2014, 18:37   #969  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.09 RC-2:

Quote:
Changes between v4.08 and v4.09 [unreleased]:
* Complete overhaul of the file analyzer, resulting in up to 2.5x faster file import speed
* Reworked the application initialization code, resulting in notably faster startup speed
* Added encoding support for Monkey's Audio (APE) format, including APEv2 tagging support
* Improved file analyzer to retain the original ordering of files imported from a playlist
* Improved internal encoder API, so each encoder can define its own configuration options
* Improved splash screen and working banner, using "sheet of glass" effect on supported OS
* Updated Opus encoder/decoder libraries to v1.1 and Opus-Tools to v0.1.8 (2013-12-05)
* Updated WavPack decoder to v4.70.0 (2013-10-19), compiled with ICL 14.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.67 (2014-01-10), compiled with ICL 14.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated the QAAC add-in for LameXP to QAAC v2.33 (2014-01-14), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)
* Fixed a resource (file descriptor) leak in "static" builds, didn't cause much harm though
Quote:
Download latest QAAC add-in here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/38nv297501obvwv/LameXP.qaac-addin.2014-01-19.zip

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 26th January 2014 at 22:17.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:19   #970  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.09 Final has been released
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/releases/latest

★ ★ ★ 10th Anniversary Edition ★ ★ ★

Quote:
Changes between v4.08 and v4.09 [2014-01-26]:
* Updated the QAAC add-in for LameXP to QAAC v2.33 (2014-01-14), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Updated language files (big thank-you to all contributors !!!)
Old 26th January 2014, 22:36   #971  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Wow... has it really been ten years?
Old 26th January 2014, 22:51   #972  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Wow... has it really been ten years?
The oldest version I could find in my archives dates back to early 2004

If you wonder why the Git version log only dates back to Nov 2010, that's because I switched to Git when I started porting LameXP to C++/Qt in late 2010.

Older versions were still developed with SVN, but the complete history got lost when the "free" SVN server, which I had used back then, was shut down once and for all - the pain of a centralized version control.

Not to mention that in the first few years I even didn't use a revision control system at all

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th January 2014 at 16:27.
Old 27th January 2014, 14:44   #973  |  Link
manolito

Thanks very much for the new anniversary version. Feels a lot more responsive on my slow computer.
I still have to switch to 16bit colours before I can use it.

And finally McCartney made this "company for the rest of us" change its name...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 15:49   #974  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Thanks very much for the new anniversary version. Feels a lot more responsive on my slow computer.
Great

Quote:
I still have to switch to 16bit colours before I can use it.
As concluded earlier, this must be either an extremely rare bug in Qt, a buggy video driver or another oddness in your system.

At least I have not been able to reproduce this on any of my test systems, ranging from my old Windows XP notebook to a new Windows 8.1 computer.

Even works fine under Linux via Wine...

Quote:
And finally McCartney made this "company for the rest of us" change its name...
Uargh! Why do you have to report this one day after the final release?

(Fixed the typo now)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th January 2014 at 16:18.
Old 31st January 2014, 05:49   #975  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
LameXP v4.09 Final has been released
https://github.com/lordmulder/LameXP/releases/latest

★ ★ ★ 10th Anniversary Edition ★ ★ ★
Congrats! ...I mean...
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:56   #976  |  Link
trunket

I just wanted to thank you for your latest final version of LameXP, it is great. I also like the new splash graphic. As far as the name LameXP goes, I thought about that at first too, but now it doesn't bother me, plus it's kind of a historical reference

But anyway, I really like your software. It's solid, clear, easy to use, has plenty of options. I especially love it since you implemented remembering the settings for the various encoders, that was great and I thank you for it (I was the one who nagged you for it before you implemented it).

Yeah, I think it's my favorite converter Great work.
trunket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:01   #977  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunket View Post
I also like the new splash graphic.
It reminds me of KITT from 80's Knight Rider.
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 01:12   #978  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
It reminds me of KITT from 80's Knight Rider.
Probably not coincidence
Old 11th February 2014, 22:29   #979  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi LoRd_MuldeR,

Over the weekend I've thought I'd have a go at generating some DTS-CD compliant audio files.

Anyway I fired up LameXP and noticed that the DCA encoder offers the ability to create DTS encodes from 32Kbps right up-to 4096Kbps.

Is there any particular reason why the maximum bit-rate exceeds 1536Kbps?

Cheers
Old 11th February 2014, 23:01   #980  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Over the weekend I've thought I'd have a go at generating some DTS-CD compliant audio files.

Anyway I fired up LameXP and noticed that the DCA encoder offers the ability to create DTS encodes from 32Kbps right up-to 4096Kbps.

Is there any particular reason why the maximum bit-rate exceeds 1536Kbps?
Why not? If dcaenc-2 supports those bitrates, why not expose them in the GUI? Doesn't mean you actually have to go that high, if you don't need/want to

Also, if I recall correctly, not all bitrates will actually work with all sample-rate/channel-count combinations. Finally, the (maximum) bitrate for DTS-CD is 1,234 kbit/s, according to Wikipedia.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th February 2014 at 23:09.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis