Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 30th December 2015, 18:51   #1  |  Link
mr_lou

What to buy to be able to record video without using a computer?

Ok, so I've been visiting shops and asking friends and surfing for days.
I can't find a definitive answer to what I'm after, so now I'm asking here.

I want to record a lot of videos from older retro computers and older gaming consoles. Meaning some are 50 hz PAL signals giving 50 frames per second.

I want to record these videos without needing a PC. So it has to be some kind of standalone solution, that records onto an SD card or USB memory stick.

So I've found the socalled game capture devices. They all seem to only support HDMI and/or component in. But I figure that's my best bet.

That means I'll also need some other device that'll convert various signals to component. Like RGB to component, and composite to component etc. So it'll need to have a SCART input plug, and composite input, and then of course component out.

Does any one have experience here? What would be the ultimate 2 devices for me to buy? First a converter, and then a game capture device.

Thanks!
mr_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 12:04   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

"Game" capturing devices do not capture from consoles, but from a PC (so, a PC game). It's a bit confusing and they use this confusion to sell more things.

Then, consoles usually abuse themselves the standards. This is why it was a challenge also in the past to record them onto VHS for instance.

If your console is supposed to output a regular signal, you can use anything compliant (from VHS- to acquisition cards passing via DVD-recorders).

But the safest bet would be to have an acquisition card into a computer, card that can be tweaked to the needs.

If you buy such a toy, make sure you have the return policy. It may not function with a particular console.
Old 6th January 2016, 14:21   #3  |  Link
mr_lou

Thanks for replying.

I ended up ordering a SCART->HDMI upscaler + one of those Game Capture devices.
I'll post here later about whether it works or not.
mr_lou is offline   Reply With Quote