Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 23rd October 2015, 02:48   #1  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

Virtualdub Capturing and Huffyuv Errors

I'm trying to digitize my VHS tapes. I'm capturing over S-Video from an LG DVD/VHS player combo. I'm capping DVD output at the moment just while I set things up but I don't think that matters. I'm having a number of problems:

1) Capture format settings default to 720x576 or something and I can't edit them. When I access that menu no matter what I select -- even the settings it defaults to -- when I click OK I get this error:
VirtualDub Error: The capture device does not support the selected video format.

2) Despite all of this it seems to capture fine. Driver is installed and I can see the display in Virtualdub. But the captured .avi files do not load into Handbrake, and do not display any video when played through MPC-HC. Audio plays back just fine.

These two problems lead me to believe it's an issue with my capture card's driver, it doesn't appear to be "talking" to Virtualdub correctly. How can I troubleshoot / debug this? I'm using a Huappauge WinTV-PVR-150. I also have a knockoff EasyCap but I'm afraid that USB 2.0 will bottleneck it, or maybe it will overheat and result in artifacting. Who knows maybe I'll have driver issues with it too (I use it with an Android device currently)

3) Compression.

Video compressor error: The source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)

Huappauge WinTV-PVR-150
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
ASUS P5N-E SLI
2GB RAM
4GB pagefile set on primary HDD
Writing to a secondary, storage-only 7200rpm HDD with 16MB cache.

fresh install of Windows 7 with all critical updates installed
CCCP + all relevant drivers installed
VirtualDub 1.10.4

I'm sure you need more information but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Last edited by Spades45; 24th October 2015 at 04:02.
Spades45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 04:07   #2  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

well after some heavy Googling I discovered that my Hauppauge card isn't compatible with 64-bit OS so I formatted and installed 32-bit Windows 7

did some reading on the forums which lead me to Magicyuv so i'm now using that instead of Huffyuv.

Unfortunately, video capture is still not working properly. I have no idea what is wrong, the video appears fine in Virtualdub but the "format" it's in is incompatible and no change of settings seems to change that. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 24th October 2015, 04:32   #3  |  Link
Music Fan

I have the same card, I don't remember it worked with Virtual Dub. I use an old driver to make it work with Virtual VCR (the capture stops directly with more recent drivers) and I capture in Lagarith yuy2 (and I use it on XP 32 bits, I never tried this card on Win 7 64).
There is just a little header problem about framerate in the avi (detected as 29.97 fps while it's 25 fps) that can be corrected easily with Virtual Dub ; go in video, framerate, source rate adjustment, change framerate to and put 25, then save in direct stream copy mode.

In Virtual VCR, in the filters part, select the Hauppauge filter, click on add and check use pre filtering.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 02:51   #4  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

I have emailed Hauppauge and I'm hoping they can provide me with a fix and perhaps an older version of the driver. I may have to dig up my old XP license key and give that a shot.

I cannot get a signal in VirtualVCR either. Man this is a PITA.
Old 26th October 2015, 09:50   #5  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades45 View Post
I have emailed Hauppauge and I'm hoping they can provide me with a fix and perhaps an older version of the driver.
Don't dream, I would be very astonished if they send it to you, especially if you explain them that your aim is to use another capture program than the one they gave with the card (WinTV).
But I can send it to you if you want.

Quote:
I cannot get a signal in VirtualVCR either. Man this is a PITA.
That's maybe due to a bad setting in VVCR. Or did you try it with Windows 7 ?
We will find a solution (if you are sure your card does still work)
Old 27th October 2015, 08:24   #6  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

I would greatly appreciate if you could send me your driver. I installed XP today and I'm getting the same errors.

I'm sure the card works since I can get an image in VirtualDub I just can't record it.

I saw a post on the Adobe forums (searching for a fix for another unrelated issue) basically saying that Hauppauge cards don't follow MPEG standards and thus oftentimes produce files that are... difficult.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

If it doesn't work with your driver I'm throwing the Hauppauge card in the garbage where it belongs and buying either an Osprey® 100e or a Grass Valley ADVC110, although I'm trying to avoid spending $200 if I can (and unless anyone has any other suggestions for a capture card)

my gmail is democraticjunk or maybe you could upload it to mediafire? thanks in advance

Last edited by Spades45; 27th October 2015 at 08:32.
Old 27th October 2015, 10:40   #7  |  Link
Music Fan

Here it is ;
https://www.sendspace.com/file/swhp1m
I copied all the files that concern the driver on the cd, because there are a lot of other tools you probably don't need (scheduler, web radio ...).
There is a setup.exe file but I'm not sure you have to use it, you can install the driver the other way : in Windows device manager, click on the card, search driver and install it from the folder where you put it.
You may need to install WinTV just to create the video and S-video channels. Otherwise, I don't know if VVCR will find them.
Tell me if it works, otherwise I will see how it's supposed to be installed.

Last edited by Music Fan; 27th October 2015 at 10:43.
Old 29th October 2015, 03:22   #8  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

I really appreciate the help. Even with your driver I cannot capture video. It displays but does not capture in VirtualDub. In VVCR it displays a red signal.

At this point I think it's time to cut my losses and get another capture card. My EasyCap doesn't work either. I'd rather spend money than more time on this.

I can get an ATI TV Wonder 650 for $30 on eBay, drivers readily available on AMD website, and I don't see many complaints on forums. I'm going to go with that. My only other options, as far as I can tell, are the Osprey 100e and the Grass Valley ADVC110.

Osprey 100e - $180 - idk but it looks professional and i can return it if it doesn't work
Grass Valley ADVC110 - $180 - again idk but it looks good and i can return it, supposedly doesn't need drivers.
Old 29th October 2015, 06:25   #9  |  Link
Asmodian

Are Blackmagic devices not an option? I use my Blackmagic Intensity Pro with VirtualDub to capture s-video from a VCR, it works very well.

However, I understand the ATI TV Wonder 650 is a good option too, and it is a lot cheaper.
Old 29th October 2015, 10:53   #10  |  Link
Music Fan

Before buying another card, there are still some points to verify.

Quote:
Even with your driver I cannot capture video. It displays but does not capture in VirtualDub. In VVCR it displays a red signal.
Does your card work with WinTV (when you install everything needed : driver, mpeg encoder, wintv) ?
Did the installation of the driver I gave you work ?
Did you set correctly VVCR (as I explained a few days ago and selecting the good video channel) ?

Do the other cards you are speaking about support lossless yuy2 capture, as the PVR-150 ?
Old 30th October 2015, 01:00   #11  |  Link
DrP

The PVR 150 is a hardware MPEG/2 encoder card. In one version of the driver it was possible to get decoded raw frames out of it, but it's really pushing up hill.

It's intended to produce MPEG/2 in program or transport streams, so use it to do that. I have working 32 bit drivers as well as a command line utility (gbrecord derived from gbpvr) to dump the output to a file if anyone is interested.

The 64 bit drivers do work but due to crappy implementation by Hauppauge they will only work as long as Windows does not have access to RAM above the 4Gb mark. The card can only do 32 bit DMA, but double buffering (the part Hauppauge can't wrap its head around) or forcing DMA buffers to be allocated from RAM below 4Gb (another thing Hauppauge don't understand) would make it work in any 64 bit Windows configuration.

Last edited by DrP; 30th October 2015 at 01:03.
DrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 01:29   #12  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrP View Post
The PVR 150 is a hardware MPEG/2 encoder card. In one version of the driver it was possible to get decoded raw frames out of it, but it's really pushing up hill.

It's intended to produce MPEG/2 in program or transport streams, so use it to do that.

There is no reason to restrain possibilities while lossless capture is possible.
Old 30th October 2015, 02:14   #13  |  Link
DrP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post

There is no reason to restrain possibilities while lossless capture is possible.
Possible eh? From the post above, perhaps not so possible.

If frame grabbing is desired, use a device that is intended for that purpose. If hardware encoding is desired, use a device that is in intended for that purpose.

If people want to beat their head against a brick wall trying to make a turnip into a pineapple, who am I to stop them.

The offer still stands. I have software to run the card as it is intended to be. Anyone that wants it is free to contact me.
Old 30th October 2015, 06:08   #14  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
If frame grabbing is desired, use a device that is intended for that purpose. If hardware encoding is desired, use a device that is in intended for that purpose.

If people want to beat their head against a brick wall trying to make a turnip into a pineapple, who am I to stop them.

The offer still stands. I have software to run the card as it is intended to be. Anyone that wants it is free to contact me.
While I agree that trying to get that card to output RAW video might be more trouble than it is worth I cannot condone capturing anything in consumer grade hardware compressed MPEG2.
Old 30th October 2015, 09:50   #15  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
What post ? If you read mine, you see that it is possible because that's how I use this card. And that's not complicated at all.
If Spades45 wants to use mpeg-2 hardware encoding, he can use WinTV, but it does not seem to be his purpose.
Old 31st October 2015, 10:34   #16  |  Link
DrP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
While I agree that trying to get that card to output RAW video might be more trouble than it is worth I cannot condone capturing anything in consumer grade hardware compressed MPEG2.
Fair comment, but the card will go up to 15Mbit/sec (it'll produce higher rates but the quantiser has already topped out at 15) and for most purposes that's going to be pretty good as an editing source.

Using the card to do frame grabbing introduces everyone's bugbear - audio skew / drift / desync. Its MPEG-2 output stays in sync for ever and a day.
Old 31st October 2015, 11:20   #17  |  Link
Music Fan

I don't have desync. Do you have this card ?
Old 3rd November 2015, 03:59   #18  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Before buying another card, there are still some points to verify.

1) Does your card work with WinTV (when you install everything needed : driver, mpeg encoder, wintv) ?
2) Did the installation of the driver I gave you work ?
3) Did you set correctly VVCR (as I explained a few days ago and selecting the good video channel) ?

4) Do the other cards you are speaking about support lossless yuy2 capture, as the PVR-150 ?

1) Yes, I was able to get WinTV installed from the package that the Hauppauge CS rep sent me. I can capture to .mpg from this software.
2) No, I couldn't get it to work.
3) I am pretty sure I did yes. No setting I try in VVCR or VirtualDub works/sticks. If I change resolution it just sets itself back to 720x480. Everything else produces an error.
4) I have no idea.

Just to verify, I am on Windows XP 32-bit now, and with 2GB of RAM so that should not be a problem. The Hauppauge CSR warned me of the 4GB issue.

Quote:

It's intended to produce MPEG/2 in program or transport streams, so use it to do that. I have working 32 bit drivers as well as a command line utility (gbrecord derived from gbpvr) to dump the output to a file if anyone is interested.

The 64 bit drivers do work but due to crappy implementation by Hauppauge they will only work as long as Windows does not have access to RAM above the 4Gb mark. The card can only do 32 bit DMA, but double buffering (the part Hauppauge can't wrap its head around) or forcing DMA buffers to be allocated from RAM below 4Gb (another thing Hauppauge don't understand) would make it work in any 64 bit Windows configuration.
Quote:

In case I can only get the Hauppauge card to capture mpeg2, should I just get another card? If so can you recommend one?

Last edited by Spades45; 3rd November 2015 at 04:02.
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:53   #19  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
1) Yes, I was able to get WinTV installed from the package that the Hauppauge CS rep sent me. I can capture to .mpg from this software.
Ok, thus the card is not broken.
Don't forget to create the channel(s) you need with WinTV (Ntsc video*, Ntsc S-video, Pal video, Pal S-video, Secam video ...).
* = CVBS

Quote:
2) No, I couldn't get it to work.
That's the problem ; if you succeed in make it work, VVCR should work too.
Did you try to install it from Windows device manager ? Right click on the card, install driver, search the folder I gave you. Is there an error message ("didn't find firmware in this folder") ?
If yes, I will verify how it can be installed.
Stupid question : didn't you forget to unzip the file I gave you ?

I use VirtualVCR 2.6.9 (the last version) on XP 32 bit ;
http://www.videohelp.com/software/VirtualVCR

Last edited by Music Fan; 3rd November 2015 at 09:01.
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:03   #20  |  Link
Spades45
I hate analog

I figured it out! Had to play with the settings in VVCR some more.
These are the settings that were holding me back!

Does this mean for sure that it's a pure framegrab and not MPEG2 encoded by my card?

Here's the mediainfo:
Code:
General
Complete name                            : I:\vvcr cap (2015-11-02 at 22-11-02).avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                           : OpenDML
File size                                : 1.93 GiB
Duration                                 : 1mn 42s
Overall bit rate                         : 161 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : YUV
Codec ID                                 : YUY2
Codec ID/Info                            : YUV 4:2:2 as for UYVY but with different component ordering within the u_int32 macropixel
Duration                                 : 1mn 38s
Bit rate                                 : 166 Mbps
Width                                    : 720 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 16.000
Stream size                              : 1.91 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings, Endianness              : Little
Format settings, Sign                    : Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Duration                                 : 1mn 42s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 411.2 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Delay relative to video                  : 8ms
Stream size                              : 17.3 MiB (1%)
Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 499 ms (14.96 video frames)

Now let's talk VirtualVCR settings.

Here are the settings in VirtualVCR I'm not sure about. I don't know what I need to set them to or if they're even relevant for capping VHS. Should I bump up the bitrate for higher quality? Anything else I could tweak?

regardless, capture stats look good! What does it mean .750 Video Compression?

thank you thank you thank you!