Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 22nd October 2011, 23:55   #13301  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT. View Post
yes it is, here's a log.
[Status]
LABEL=JURASSIC_PARK_1993_BLU-RAY
VERSION=v0.39.01 (beta)
SOURCE_SIZE=42480602907
SOURCE_VIDEO_SIZE=42093699072
TARGET_SIZE=24641536000
REDUCTION=.576205767127122
RESIZE_1080=0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=-1
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;fra;fre;
BACKUP_MODE=0
MOVIEONLY_TYPE=0
USE_LAVF=0
QUICK=0
ENCODE_STEP=0
COMPLETED=27
REBUILD_COMPLETE=1
[00800]
AUDIO=100
PGS=10101
VIDEO2=0
V2MBRATE=0
M2TS_TARGET=20448571994
RATE=13921
NSTART=27000000
NEND=368846400
NSIZE=19620845568
FLINK=0
MLINK=0

Does everything check out?
Are you doing a full backup or movie-and-menus? Since it says 27 files were processed I assume movie-and-menus...

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd October 2011 at 00:01.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:01   #13302  |  Link
Chuckwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Thanks for the analysis and feedback. Now it makes complete sense. When subtitles are removed, the references to them aren't actually removed -- only the subtitle stream itself. In order to prevent "goofy" behaviour (by BD-J or pre/post commands), the references to removed streams are kept intact but are all modified to point to the first kept subtitle stream. So when yours tries to turn on title 3 -- it's actually turning on title 1.

While it's completely legal to do it that way, the more common method is to have a single stream of subtitles -- but set the "force on" flag for instances that are required (like foreign languages such as Klingon). That's probably the reason this happens so rarely. I personally never see it because I always keep all subtitles.

Unfortunately there's really no way I can think of to know when this is being done.
It seems like this should be an uncommon occurrence, so if it cannot be "fixed," at least we know how to work around it. And so long as the behavior is known, the next time anyone asks about it they can be pointed in this direction to try to deal with it.

Just spitballing here to see if there's any way to deal with this. When there is more than one subtitle track for a given language, and the setting to "Limit to one track for each language" is set, how does BDRB decide which single track to use? (Also, is that the default setting, to keep just one track? I forget if I set it that way or not.) I noticed when I play the original disc that the player defaults to the 3rd English subtitle track. Is that behavior set by the disc itself? How does the player know the right one to use? Is that something that BDRB could see and use to decide which track it keeps?
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:02   #13303  |  Link
MrT.

There was 3 Vid_'s, (00301,02,03) that BDRB did not choose to blank, I figured this was due to their size, 2,377.77(25min), 2,027.89(49 min) and 1,893.73(20 min) MB. I forced blanked them. They are Extra's "The making of". If it's not the size, why else would they not be blanked by BDRB?

Last edited by MrT.; 23rd October 2011 at 01:01.
MrT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:31   #13304  |  Link
Chuckwagon

Quote:
There was 3 Vid_'s, (00301,02,03) that BDRB did not choose to blank, I figured this was due to their size, 2,377.77, 2,027.89 and 1,893.73 MB. I forced blanked them. They are Extra's "The making of". If it's not the size, why else would they not be blanked by BDRB?
I think the blanking is based on the length in time of the given playlist, not on file size. The BLANK_THRESHOLD= value in the config file will determine at what length the blanking will cut in. It's in seconds. So, for example, if it is set to BLANK_THRESHOLD=1800 it will blank any playlist shorter than 30 minutes. If you want only the main movie, set it to something like 4000 and unless you have an extra that's REALLY long, it should blank all but the main movie. If that isn't right I'm sure JDobbs will correct me.
Old 23rd October 2011, 01:01   #13305  |  Link
MrT.

I see..I edited my post and inserted their play times. Changing the threshold to 50 minutes would be good in my case?

Last edited by MrT.; 23rd October 2011 at 01:03.
Old 23rd October 2011, 01:52   #13306  |  Link
Chuckwagon

Quote:
I see..I edited my post and inserted their play times. Changing the threshold to 50 minutes would be good in my case?
If all of your extras are shorter than 50 mins, then I would assume it would blank them all and leave just the main movie.
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:10   #13307  |  Link
jdobbs

BD Rebuilder v0.39.02 (beta)

I have updated the first post of this thread with a new release of BD Rebuilder (v0.39.02). Changes for this version:
Code:
- Updated SD to HD 1280x720 processing to keep
  the 23.976fps rate when inverse telecining is
  in effect rather than create a 59.94fps stream.
- Improved IVTC method for MPEG-2 sources.
- Added a hidden setting that will allow output
  of 480p @ 23.976fps on sources that were IVTC'd.
  Note: While this mode works on almost all
  players, it violates the BD standard and should
  only be used with that full knowledge. To enable
  set "SD_PROGRESSIVE=1" in the OPTIONS are of the
  INI/Config file.
- Corrected an issue in which telecined MPEG-2
  sources may not always be IVTC'd when the IVTC
  option is selected.
- Corrected an issue that could, under very rare
  circumstances cause audio desynchronization on
  telecined sources.
- Corrected a rare instance in which the CLPI 
  packet count variable could be wrong for menus
  that have been reencoded.
- Fixed an issue in which multipart DTS sources
  may not encode to AC3 correctly when movie-only
  output is selected.  Rare but possible.
- Updated checks so secondary video will not be
  unnecessarily run through X264 when the hidden
  option "FORCE_NOENCODE" is set.
- Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the
  latest release (r2106).
- Updated the included version of X264-64.EXE to 
  the latest release (r2106).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:22   #13308  |  Link
jdobbs

For those who like a challenge and are anxious to finally get DTS-Express secondary audio tracks working -- I need your help.

I have implemented the ability to reintegrate DTS Express tracks into the latest version of BD Rebuilder (v0.39.02). But it still needs work, so I've limited it so it is enabled only through a hidden switch.

In my testing I have found that it works correctly when playing back on some players (both of my Samsung standalone players) but fails to play on others (Sony BDP-S360). I have gone over the code and files exhaustively, and I'm at a loss as to what is incorrect about the implementation. So I'm asking for your help. Please test it, dump it, scan it with other software, anything. If you pick up on any clues as to what might be dodgy about it -- please post what you find.

To enable the DTS Express code, add "DTSX_ENABLE=1" to your config/INI file. Note also that this fix is designed to correct any issues with in-mux IGS streams that are as well, but I've not done enough testing of that feature to determine its effectiveness yet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd October 2011 at 17:36.
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:47   #13309  |  Link
MrT.

@jdobbs, thanks for the update!
@chuckwagon, I entered BLANK_THRESHOLD into config and used 4000, the 3 files were blanked I'm gonna try again, hopefully the finished product is 20-21 GB, give or take.

Edit 22.0 GB ! thanks for the guidance, guys.

Last edited by MrT.; 23rd October 2011 at 19:52.
Old 23rd October 2011, 18:47   #13310  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
For those who like a challenge and are anxious to finally get DTS-Express secondary audio tracks working -- I need your help.

I have implemented the ability to reintegrate DTS Express tracks into the latest version of BD Rebuilder (v0.39.02). But it still needs work, so I've limited it so it is enabled only through a hidden switch.

In my testing I have found that it works correctly when playing back on some players (both of my Samsung standalone players) but fails to play on others (Sony BDP-S360). I have gone over the code and files exhaustively, and I'm at a loss as to what is incorrect about the implementation. So I'm asking for your help. Please test it, dump it, scan it with other software, anything. If you pick up on any clues as to what might be dodgy about it -- please post what you find.

To enable the DTS Express code, add "DTSX_ENABLE=1" to your config/INI file. Note also that this fix is designed to correct any issues with in-mux IGS streams that are as well, but I've not done enough testing of that feature to determine its effectiveness yet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.
Although the Sonys were brilliant as the first machines which handled BD-9 on a range of discs, and which I started with, I have long since moved to other players and found much better playback. Even now the Sony still struggles with some branching discs, and with PiP in general, so would the first logical step be to see on what players your code works? Given most machines handle bd-25, we could then see if the Samsungs are the exception, or the Sonys?
drmih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 19:19   #13311  |  Link
xterminater

Quote:
@xterminater

When you did the movie-and-menus backup of "Lion King" did you use the blanked selections set by BD-RB, or did you do any additional blank/unblank editing?
The blank setting used by dvd-rb removed some extra features that I wanted so I did a preview of what I want and unblank the ones I wanted. I didn't do anything else outside of bd-rb. I just tried another back up of an asian bluray but it's oversized as well.
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:00   #13312  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
Although the Sonys were brilliant as the first machines which handled BD-9 on a range of discs, and which I started with, I have long since moved to other players and found much better playback. Even now the Sony still struggles with some branching discs, and with PiP in general, so would the first logical step be to see on what players your code works? Given most machines handle bd-25, we could then see if the Samsungs are the exception, or the Sonys?
The Sony plays the original fine -- so I'm convinced there is some (probably minor) inconsistency in either the M2TS, the CLPI, or MPLS of the backup. I'm just not sure what it might be. I've been going over it without finding anything wrong for over two weeks now, and I decided I need some help. There comes a point at which you're too close to the code and it becomes difficult to see what's right in front of you. I'm hoping someone is either smarter than me or has access to a verifier or some other software consistency checker that might point me in the right direction.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd October 2011 at 20:03.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:07   #13313  |  Link
drmih

Quote:
The Sony plays the original fine -- so I'm convinced there is some (probably minor) inconsistency in either the M2TS, the CLPI, or MPLS of the backup. I'm just not sure what it might be. I've been going over it without finding anything wrong for over two weeks now, and I decided I need some help. There comes a point at which you're too close to the code and it becomes difficult to see what's right in front of you. I'm hoping someone is either smarter than me or has access to a verifier or some other software consistency checker that might point me in the right direction.
What I was suggesting is that even without this feature, I do find that some titles don't play properly on the Sony. There are several branching ones but from memory the original Star Trek series have problems when converted to bd-9. When you play an episode with a combination of new CGI and original, the audio suddenly vanishes when changing and then comes back again later. The bd-9 play fine on other non-Sony machines. Therefore it may be related to the same issue.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:09   #13314  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

I'll gladly test the DTS-E option. Glad you finally found a way to do it. I've got plenty of discs waiting to be tested. I'll get to work asap. Check your PM to take your pick for a test disc.

** Edit: something that i've already noticed is that combined with the blanking feature, the preview message doesnt always get updated. normally when you preview a blanked feature it changes stream number, however with 39.02 it didnt and sometimes stayed at the first stream till it finally updated to another stream and from that point on updated like it should. "Extracting A/V streams: ....", preview itself was unaffected. Maybe that is part of the problem? **

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 23rd October 2011 at 20:20.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:59   #13315  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Fantastic, thank you! I have quite a pile of players here; I'll start testing this ASAP and will report on how various players coped with it.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:26   #13316  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I will test it out as well, and will let you know my findings.
My only two players are a Sony BX1 and the S360, so my results should be similar to yours!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:38   #13317  |  Link
drmih

I have the following PiP Discs and will make my way through them - let me know if any have already been tested.

Animal House
Battlestar Galactica - S1 D1
Children of Men
Doctor Who - S5 - All Discs
Harry Potter 7 - Part 1
Indiana Jones 4
Let Me In
Mummy - All 3 Movies
Nightmare on Elm Street - New
Scarface
Terminator - All 4 Movies
The Omen
The Pacific - D 1 to 5
The Thing
True Blood - All 3 Series
Young Frankenstein
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:07   #13318  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

For reference, the following R2 (belgium) discs with DTS-E will be tested by me

Red Riding Hood encoding atm ** edit 24/10 01.19am ** Test 1 completed with success. Remuxing worked flawlessley, Audio 100% in sync, for the clips i watched, ill be viewing the movie completely later today. ** edit 21.57 ** Final testing completed. PiP behaviour 100% in sync throughout entire movie
Fast & Furious 1 through 5
World invasion: Battle LA ** edit 28/10 15.12 ** encode & testing completed. pip fully functional. Some disc skipping with & without pip active
Hulk (2003) ** edit 28/10 19.32 ** encode & testing completed. Pip functional but with quite some artifacts in pip stream (VC-1)
Last Airbender ** edit 24/10 21.57 ** Encode running **edit 25/10 15.32. ** Encode & Final testing completed. Pip 100% functional
RED ** edit 28/10 15.12 ** encode & testing completed. pip fully functional
Harry Potter 7
Mamma Mia ** edit 24/10 21.57 ** final testing completed. PiP fully functional as expected
Priest ** edit 25/10 15.32 ** encode & final testing completed. Pip 100% functional

Testing Equipment: Panasonic DMP-BD85

Last edited by Ch3vr0n; 28th October 2011 at 18:32.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 01:53   #13319  |  Link
Capsbackup

First test is with Wanted, and though it reencodes and successfully makes a backup to BD-25 and burned to a BD-RE, the results are the secondary video plays on my S360, but no secondary audio is heard.
The DTS-HD Master audio is heard, and the volume of this track does lower during playback at the correct time that the secondary audio file should be heard. But no secondary audio plays.

Note: At least for Sony players, you must change the settings for the audio playback to "Mixed" rather than "Direct" for PiP/secondary audio to work correctly!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 04:52   #13320  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
First test is with Wanted, and though it reencodes and successfully makes a backup to BD-25 and burned to a BD-RE, the results are the secondary video plays on my S360, but no secondary audio is heard.
The DTS-HD Master audio is heard, and the volume of this track does lower during playback at the correct time that the secondary audio file should be heard. But no secondary audio plays.

Note: At least for Sony players, you must change the settings for the audio playback to "Mixed" rather than "Direct" for PiP/secondary audio to work correctly!
Yeah, that's exactly what I see on my S360.