Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 8th December 2018, 22:40   #16401  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Looking good !! Thank you!
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 01:25   #16402  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
Can you please refresh my memory about KNLMeansCL, is that CPU or GPU based (switchable), it's just that last time I used it, it was SLOW !!!
You can use either, as long as you have OPENCL Drivers installed. Read a few posts above, I am using some XEONs for OPENCL and GPUs as well... Itīs much faster on GPUs
Old 9th December 2018, 01:38   #16403  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

GPUs: Intel Kaby Lake, some Geforce midclass-models from about years, office-AMD Radeons, a few years old.... I get between 4 and 30fps in 1080p on these cards with nlmeans filters in OPEN CL.
Xeons: Dual X5650... Intel OPEN CL Drivers.. Veery Slow with open CL, barely 1fps at best, but since many of these are here doing "nothing", they contribute. And for encodes without filtering, they work fine for x265 encoding...
Old 9th December 2018, 21:33   #16404  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Code:
--stdin y4m
I am not used to that parameter combination as valid x264 syntax... there should be another parameter:

Code:
--demuxer y4m

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid

Last edited by LigH; 9th December 2018 at 21:35.
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 21:42   #16405  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I don't know if he uses a modified x264. The vanilla x264 does not have a "stdin" parameter.

New German Gleitz board
Old 10th December 2018, 11:23   #16406  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
I have a couple of dual X5690 systems, one dual X5680, an E5 2697v2 12 core Xeon, and several lesser systems.

The best GPU I have is an MSI GF1080, and I have an older AMD R9 290 (which I got to try KNLMeansCL, ages ago), and some older GF cards, 680's & 580's.
Did you manage to put some GPUs in the Xeon Servers?
Old 10th December 2018, 13:33   #16407  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

GPU vs CPU Encoding is a different thing than GPU vs CPU Filtering.
On GPU, you can only encode via the offered NVENC, QS-Video, etc.. mechanism - not a x265 port for GPU. Porting X265 to a GPU doesn't make sense (this is discussed in detail elsewhere).. The eoncding Engine on a GPU is not just a simple port of x265 to the GPU - intel, AMD, NVIDIA emplemented Encoder Units into the GPU, which only can do as good as the implementation is... x265 with normal to placebo settings is much better in terms of quality...

With OPEN CL, you have an open Standard for calculating things like filters... This can be done on GPU, ASICS, CPUs, etc... everything you have an OPENCL driver for... Since some filters for Videoediting fit the strenghts a GPU offers (heavy parallel processing with weak cores vs. way lesser very potent cores on a CPU), some videofilters benefit heavily from Running the OPENCL Filter Code on the GPU. Running the same filters on a CPU is veryvery slow compared to a decent GPU.

It all depends on the type if calculation, memory, memory bandwith. etc... if a specific task is working faster on a "traditional CPU" or a GPU...

CPUs are being equiped with more and more processing units which can give an advantage for things a GPU traditionally is good for... Think of the old 386, which didn`t have the FPU built on - it was a seperate chip youīd have to add... Later CPUs already had a FPU in it, so calculations benefitting from a FPU ran faster on these... Later there were things like 3dNow, SSE, AVX, etc... which contained instruction sets offering calculation-possibilities previous models didn`t have bevore.

One good example is a iFFT, which is running much faster on something like a DSP, SSE in a CPU etc.. than on a "traditional CPU".. In times where iFFT was not available inside a CPU, it took a lot of time to calculate it... As sonns as instructions for iFFT were available in the CPUs - you could easily go realtime..

So for best quality and speed, a strong CPU still is the best way to do x265 encoding, paired with a GPU for filtering... Is in most cases the best way to do it... In terms of speed (e.g. live streaming of games), the GPU Encoding of video can help to reduce system load.
Old 10th December 2018, 14:32   #16408  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I'd like to know how to switch some OpenCL processing to the CPU's, and not the GPU.

Apparently there's now that option within Ripbot, but not sure how to implement that with the command line switch's Atak mentioned.
KNLMeansCL running on my Xeon E5-2690@3.2GHz (8C/16T) CPU is 50 times slower than on Radeon RX480! Seriously are You still thinking about running this filter in CPU mode?

RX480
https://github.com/Khanattila/KNLMeansCL/wiki/Benchmark

RX480 GPU has peak TFLOPS around 5.83 TFLOPS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_400_series

while my CPU around 0.12 TFLOPS.

Now you see why running KNLMeansCL on CPU has zero sense. Power consumption ratio to performance is just terrible!
RX480 consumes around 150W while my CPU around 130W.

1 fps on CPU consumes around 260W
1 fps on GPU consumes only around 6W !!!

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 10th December 2018 at 14:51.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 16:47   #16409  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Comparision regarding KNLMeansCL [Adaptive] variant
Source
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf45db39b9.jpeg

MDegrain2
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf46940cf9.jpeg

MDegrain2 + KNLMeansCL(h=4)
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf46ddeee0.jpeg

MDegrain2 + KNLMeansCL(h=4) [Adaptive]
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf4789e165.jpeg

KNLMeansCL(h=4) [Adaptive]
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf47dce349.jpeg

KNLMeansCL(h=4)
https://i.imgsafe.org/bf/bf45f49f3c.jpeg
Wow, the adaptive is way better than the normal method, which is why I never used KNLMeansCL much. Between MDegrain2 and KNLMeansCL(h=4) [Adaptive], I personally like MDegrain2 better but the Adaptive KNLMeansCL isn't that far off and I'd guess it does way better on FPS (when using GPU).
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 17:11   #16410  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
I think you're being a bit harsh...I have no idea how all these filters & switch's work, I was just asking questions about all the new features you've added to Ripbot, in relation to these options.

I don't have an RX480, the best I have is a GTX 1080, and an AMD R9 290...and lesser.

It's just that I did a KNLMeansCL encode yesterday, and the R9 290 nearly melted, even tho it has a good aftermarket cooler on it, so hence, asking about switch to CPU, but obviously that sux, so how to I put a switch in to make it use the GPU, if that's an option with what I have.
If you did a KNLMeansCL Encode - you already have used the GPU - what switch are you looking for?
Old 11th December 2018, 11:04   #16411  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Square brackets are almost certainly a syntax definition symbol. You should omit them in a specific usage case.

New German Gleitz board
Old 11th December 2018, 11:31   #16412  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
It's a new one for this build.
I know
Quote:
I'm guessin' that adding this line/switch, it will enable either the CPU or GPU to work when this filter is chosen.
correct. This was kindly added because, so this ways I can include machines without GPU in a encoding swarm. Works good.
Quote:
All I want to know is if I want to enable the GPU, is it in the square brackets on it's own ??
By default, you first go to the settings, choose the openCL device you would like to use (in case you have different ones) and then you don't have to do anything more if you have a GPU installed. In my case, The CPU doesn't show up in the settings, so I can force the CPU usage for OPENCL via this command line via

Quote:
knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
And then there's this one:-

Quote:
/knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id [integer], where do I get the integer info from ??, is that on the OpenCL page, in Settings ??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_(computer_science)

Here you set the OPEN CL device (in case you have multiple ones - everyone has an ID (1, 2, 3, etc..), so you put the number of the Device you want to use in here...

On some PCs, I have AMD OPENCL drivers as well as the Intel GPU drivers - so I have two "decvices" here and could choose which one to use (helps in some cases with older hardware, since different OPENCL drivers support different Levels of OPENCL...)
Old 11th December 2018, 11:39   #16413  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@ReinerSchweinlin - I guess the question about the "integer" was rather: Is it a simple counting number, or is it something complex (like a unique device ID)? Looks like the former is the case. Now the question remains, if you have more than one device: Which of them is number one, where to discover that detail? Will an external tool like GPU-Z help, or will RipBot264 enumerate them somewhere?

New German Gleitz board
Old 11th December 2018, 12:42   #16414  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

This is what I get in the settings page:
Quote:
Platform 0.
Name : Intel(R) OpenCL
Vendor : Intel(R) Corporation
Version : OpenCL 2.1
Profile : FULL_PROFILE
Extensions : cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_fp16 cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_icd cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_intel_subgroups cl_intel_required_subgroup_size cl_intel_subgroups_short cl_khr_spir cl_intel_accelerator cl_intel_media_block_io cl_intel_driver_diagnostics cl_intel_device_side_avc_motion_estimation cl_khr_priority_hints cl_khr_throttle_hints cl_khr_create_command_queue cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_subgroups cl_khr_il_program cl_khr_mipmap_image cl_khr_mipmap_image_writes cl_intel_planar_yuv cl_intel_packed_yuv cl_intel_motion_estimation cl_intel_advanced_motion_estimation cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_khr_gl_depth_images cl_khr_gl_event cl_khr_gl_msaa_sharing cl_intel_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_d3d10_sharing cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_intel_d3d11_nv12_media_sharing cl_intel_simultaneous_sharing

Platform 1.
Name : AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Vendor : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Version : OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1800.11)
Extensions : cl_khr_icd cl_khr_d3d10_sharing cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices
Old 11th December 2018, 13:03   #16415  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

In the settings page: Only the Intel GPU driver is shown.
(Itīs a i5 Kaby Lake only with the iGPU from Intel, no external Grafixcard)

Doing the same on the XEON (without a GPU, only CPU OPEN CL):

Quote:
Platform 0.
Name : Intel(R) OpenCL
Vendor : Intel(R) Corporation
Version : OpenCL 1.2
Extensions : cl_khr_icd cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_intel_exec_by_local_thread cl_khr_spir cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_intel_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_khr_fp64 cl_intel_vec_len_hint

Platform 1.
Name : AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Vendor : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Version : OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (937.2)
Extensions : cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices cl_khr_d3d10_sharing
In the selection Box, nothing shows.

So this was the prob I had - the XEON itself was able to do OPENCL - but in the Settings Page I couldnīt select the CPU for the filters.. With the command line Option mentioned above - I can
Old 11th December 2018, 13:46   #16416  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

I installed the XEON OPENCL drivers from intels website (with GPUS, the OPENCL Drivers come with the drivers for the grafix card, I suppose you know already)... I am not at the machine right now, so I canīt give you the exact link, but it was pretty straight forward - the SDK you mentioned probably was the one... just google for "xeon OPEN CL drivers"

I then checked with Luxmark, if the Xeons showed up as OPENCL Devices - they did. (running a benchmark in Luxmark worked fine, but was slow as hell - as expected)

In ripbot, I opened the settings page on the XEON machine (not the "master" !). In the distributed encoding page I set 4 severs (since I have two CPUs on two nodes with 12 threads on each CPU - X265 works best on my DUAL X5650 with 4 instances=4servers),
checked the small wrench button and added
Quote:
/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /node 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /node 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 3000 /minimize /priority low /node 1 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 4000 /minimize /priority low /node 1 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
thatīs it, AFAIR All the other machines (with GPUs) are not specified any further, just defaults.

If I start an encode job at the master with KNLMEANS activated - the GPU machines use the GPUs, the XEONS use the CPUs...

I am still trying to get some GPUs into the servers, but since space is limited in these and somehow they donīt accept any GPUs I put in it (HP DL380 Proliant G7), I am happy for the time beeing to be able to use the XEONS in the pool whenever some OPENCL Stuff is starting.
Old 11th December 2018, 14:14   #16417  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Yes, I do have some issues with stability. Already talked to Atak about it, but have no solution so far.... One thing in the latest release which made things better: "restart servers" in the encoding client... Sometimes, on first atempt, the servers don't connect... In the past, I had to check manualy multiple times to restart them... Was annoying since I am at work on daytime, wanted the machines to encode while I am gone - and later on I saw almost no progress...
Now this works fine - the "startup hickups" still are there, but since they get restarted automatically, it is better now.

Didn`t have much time to investigate everything, though.. Iīll have to wait for more free time to straighten everything up in the "encoding farm"... Last night, about 20 batch files from a 1080p x264 cartoon series (23min each) went fine through the batch..
Old 11th December 2018, 15:01   #16418  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
I just thought of something...would it possible to run multiple GPUs now, using a command line switch to use different IDs.
sure
Code:
/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 0
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 1
If you are using x264+KNLMeansCL and you also have iGPU (device 0) and dGPU (device 1) then
Code:
/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /x264-opencl-device-id 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 1

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th December 2018 at 15:06.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 19:34   #16419  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

v1.23.2 won't close

Since auto-updating to v1.23.2, RipBot264 doesn't close cleanly on it's own. After clicking the "X" in the top-right of the primary RB interface, the RB icon remains in the taskbar. Right-clicking the icon and choosing "Show" opens a non-functioning RB interface that I have to force close.

Additionally, the jobs I loaded before the update generated errors when running them post-update. I had to reload those jobs post-update.

I reverted to v1.23.1, which restored RB's ability to close cleanly. Then I got RB to re-auto-update to v1.23.2, which returned RB to being unable to close cleanly.

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 12th December 2018 at 00:18.
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 22:49   #16420  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

updater.exe identified as virus

The built-in virus protection in my Windows 10 v1809 is identifying RipBot's "updater.exe" as a threat. This is a new issue. I manually restored it after Windows removed it.

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 12th December 2018 at 00:02.
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360