Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th December 2018, 23:10   #16421  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Improvements

Please prevent RB taskbar tab from disappearing upon interface minimization. Perhaps give users the option to choose.

Please don't limit the number of audio tracks that can be demuxed or added to the output file when loading jobs from BD folder structures.

Please don't limit the choices for demuxing subtitle tracks to all or one when loading jobs from BD folder structures.
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 23:24   #16422  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Feature Requests

Are these improvement requests being considered?:

Adding the ability to manually enter "name" information for video, audio and subtitle tracks within RipBot264 (RB) would be an asset.
This feature could be further enhanced by adding combo boxes with user-definable text strings for track names. This user-definable content should remain intact when RB is updated.

Removing limitations on the quantity of demuxable audio tracks from BD structure sources as well as the quantity of selectable audio tracks to be contained in the output file would be an asset.

Enabling output file names with periods (.) would be an asset.

RB’s “Automatically” setting for video cropping is capable of detecting the difference between pixels with desired video vs black. Could similar capability be implemented for RB’s “new frame” selector?

For resolution reducing encodes of non-standard crop ratio videos, like the BD vers of the movie "The Hateful Eight" @1920x700, RB doesn't offer a precise ratio-maintaining option. Users have to calculate it. Some might not know how. Especially considering the reduction factor determinate varies from width for most videos to height for others. Examples: 1920x1080 cropped to 1920x1016 requires 1280/1920 x 1016 to calc the height for 1280x678 (1280x677.333) or 1440x1080 cropped to 1436x1064 requires 720/1064 x 1436 to calc the width for 972x720 (971.729x720). In my 1st example, (1920x1016) the width determines the res reduction factor. In my 2nd example, the height determines the res reduction factor. In both examples I maintained the cropped source ratio while reducing the res to 720. RB should have an option for auto step-down to any standard res (1080, 720, 576, 480 etc.) while maintaining precise ratio of cropped source. Like my examples, RB would have to identify whether the width or height determines the reduction factor.
If you implemented this, users wouldn't need to calculate the pixel height or width for any res step-down while maintaining cropped source ratio.

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 12th December 2018 at 04:51.
Old 12th December 2018, 08:48   #16423  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz View Post
The built-in virus protection in my Windows 10 v1809 is identifying RipBot's "updater.exe" as a threat. This is a new issue. I manually restored it after Windows removed it.
I had some false virus-warnigs as well, but with Avira. We talked in this thread a few days ago - maybe it´s compression of some files triggering the heuristics?

While you mention subtitles... I looked around, but can't find subtitle management. Surely I am too stupid - could someone point me in the right direction? I´d like to simply keep subtitles (or disregard things like chinese etc... but since subtitles take up no space - keeping all of them would be fine, too).. Right now, encoding from mkvx264 tomkv x265 - all subtitles are gone.
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 10:08   #16424  |  Link
slalom

Quote:
The built-in virus protection in my Windows 10 v1809 is identifying RipBot's "updater.exe" as a threat. This is a new issue. I manually restored it after Windows removed it.
I have excluded a folder in my antivirus settings, with all those programs that don't need AV checking
No more false threats
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 10:49   #16425  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Ah, ok... So I wasn´t blind - there simply is no subtitle Management Too bad - since I use Ripbot because of the distributed encoding which enables me to recode a very large amount of files in reasonable time - if I have to lay hand on all of them to deal with subtitles, thats too much fiddling around.. Maybe I find a batch solution somehow..
Old 12th December 2018, 12:08   #16426  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

I use batch encoding for a series of files.
I use handbrake, yes. Here it works fine with the switchable subs. But no DE Encoding, so it´s slow...
Simply "take alle subs in the MKV and leave them as they are" would be fine.
Old 12th December 2018, 12:42   #16427  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Simply "take alle subs in the MKV and leave them as they are" would be fine.
So you are saying that your version of ripbot264 does not have this option... intredasting...
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 14:55   #16428  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Ah, ok... So I wasn´t blind - there simply is no subtitle Management Too bad - since I use Ripbot because of the distributed encoding which enables me to recode a very large amount of files in reasonable time - if I have to lay hand on all of them to deal with subtitles, thats too much fiddling around.. Maybe I find a batch solution somehow..
I batch mux the subs back in from the source files, saves me a lot of time plus I keep the MKVtitle names of the subs that way
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 15:44   #16429  |  Link
Ryushin

So with all the talk about using the GPU for help with encodes, it has gotten me interested.

I have one computer with a RX 480.

I'm currently only doing x265 or x265+mdegrain2. Can a GPU help in this regard or is this all CPU based? I thought OpenCL was just for x264 at the moment.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 15:50   #16430  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

OPENCL (or GPU in generell) doesn't help with x265 encoding and never will... There were some attempts and the x265 guys looked into it, but the types of calculations needed for x265 encoding just don't a GPU.... There are h265 encoders in GPUs, but those are real "hardware encoders" and have nothing to do with x265 .... x264 has a OPENCL possibility - haven't tried it yet, but from what I´ve read, it doesn't give a speed advantage nowadays with modern CPUs....
Things like SSE or AVX help much more with x265 than OPENCL on a GPU.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:51   #16431  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
So you are saying that your version of ripbot264 does not have this (keeping subtitles) option... intredasting...
As said before - I am either blind or to stupid to find it (in this case, please help me out) or something is missing - all my files encoded with Ripbot are missing subtitles which were present before in the source mkv files...
Old 12th December 2018, 16:13   #16432  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
As said before - I am either blind or to stupid to find it (in this case, please help me out) or something is missing - all my files encoded with Ripbot are missing subtitles which were present before in the source mkv files...

or

Old 12th December 2018, 16:22   #16433  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
x264 has a OPENCL possibility - haven't tried it yet, but from what I´ve read, it doesn't give a speed advantage nowadays with modern CPUs....
Things like SSE or AVX help much more with x265 than OPENCL on a GPU.
If rumors are true some ryzen 3 may have pretty decent iGPU with 20 CU! (1280 streaming processors)
I think x264 opencl acceleration should still be useful for those modern cpus.
In old days it provided very nice speed boost for old apus. (a10-4600m had 384 streaming processors)

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 12th December 2018 at 16:28.
Old 12th December 2018, 18:08   #16434  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
While you mention subtitles... I looked around, but can't find subtitle management. Surely I am too stupid - could someone point me in the right direction? I´d like to simply keep subtitles (or disregard things like chinese etc... but since subtitles take up no space - keeping all of them would be fine, too).. Right now, encoding from mkvx264 tomkv x265 - all subtitles are gone.
When loading a job from blu-ray file/folder structure, you're given the choice of demuxing all subtitles or only one. When loading a job from an .mkv file, all the subtitles demux automatically. In either version, you can choose however many to include in the output file, after demuxing is complete.
Old 12th December 2018, 18:17   #16435  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Thanx both of you for the guidance, I will have to try later, when I am at the PC
Old 12th December 2018, 18:27   #16436  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
I've been doing a LOT of subtitles stuff recently, and what I use to demux them out, is TSMUXER, then I have been running them thru Subtitle Edit, and save as an .srt, then you either just put that file in the same folder as your movie, and you should get switchable subtitles OR you can mux them back in, with MKVToolnix, after you've run the video & audio thru Ripbot.
I too use tsMuxerGUI and MKVToolnix for many areas where RipBot falls short, but I still want RipBot's subtitle and audio track abilities expanded.

Note that using tsmuxer to demux files containing .srt subtitles automatically converts them to .sup (PGS). Try extracting subtitles with the likes of gMKVExtractGUI to preserve existing .srt subs. Use the likes of MKVToolnix to first mux in to an .mkv if needed.
Old 12th December 2018, 22:08   #16437  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
Thanks for that, Fuzzy...I will give that a try, could save me a LOT of time.

Subtitle Edit can be very frustrating
I usually don't convert .sup (PGS) subs to .srt. I use the .sup from blu-rays as is. Every media player I use seems able to read .sup files. My thinking is, why bother dealing with optical character recognition issues when you can use the flawless original.

I expect someone to chime in with srt enlightenment.

Media players I use:
VLC on Windows 10 PC
KODI on Android box
KODI on Windows 10 PC
D-Link Boxee Box
Old 12th December 2018, 23:17   #16438  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
v1.23.2 Changelog
Code:
Added: KNLMeansCL [Adaptive] denoiser. (denoising strength is being reduced according to luminosity of the pixel)
Added: /avisynth-prefetch-threads and /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type to supported switches by EncodingServer.exe.
Added: /restart-if-no-progress switch also activates extra process (SuperviseProcess.exe) in order to detect any hangs directly in EncodingServer.exe. 
(logs are stored in %TEMP%\SuperviseProcessLog.txt and %TEMP%\EncodingServerLog.txt)
Added: Auto reconnect option in EncodingClient.exe   
Changed: /knlmeanscl-opencl-device to /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id and /x264-opencl-device to /x264-opencl-device-id
Fixed: EncodingServer.exe not starting on machines with more than 32 logical processors.
Got a stall, looks like the same sort of thing I was seeing before the update, but I don't really know what causes it so IDK:
https://imgur.com/a/1TjHaAe
Win10 x64 build 1803
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
I can't find the logs: SuperviseProcessLog.txt and EncodingServerLog.txt
I did a search of my C drive and looked in the C:\Temp, RipBot folder (would make more sense to me), and in the %TEMP%\ folder (in my case: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp)
Only thing I found was SuperviseProcess.exe in the temp folder

I couldn't turn off the Server 2 (Thread 2 in the screenshot). I was able to end task the Ffmpeg.exe and that kicked the server 2 into off mode, and then I was able to start it again. Server 1 started encoding.
Not sure how important it is but normally the Ffmpeg.exe and x265_x64.exe show as a child (underneath) the RipBot264 Encoding Server tree like this: https://i.imgur.com/4etbRzc.jpg
But before I ended the Ffmpeg.exe task it was in the background processes list. Hope this helps.
Old 12th December 2018, 23:18   #16439  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
I usually don't convert .sup (PGS) subs to .srt. I use the .sup from blu-rays as is. Every media player I use seems able to read .sup files. My thinking is, why bother dealing with optical character recognition issues when you can use the flawless original.

I expect someone to chime in with srt enlightenment.

Media players I use:
VLC on Windows 10 PC
KODI on Android box
KODI on Windows 10 PC
D-Link Boxee Box
I don't convert them either but some players like Plex and Emby don't do well with them. They don't even always do well with embeded (in MKV) subtitles depending on which platform you're on.
Old 13th December 2018, 05:21   #16440  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Since auto-updating to v1.23.2, RipBot264 doesn't close cleanly on it's own. After clicking the "X" in the top-right of the primary RB interface, the RB icon remains in the taskbar. Right-clicking the icon and choosing "Show" opens a non-functioning RB interface that I have to force close.

Additionally, the jobs I loaded before the update generated errors when running them post-update. I had to reload those jobs post-update.

I reverted to v1.23.1, which restored RB's ability to close cleanly. Then I got RB to re-auto-update to v1.23.2, which returned RB to being unable to close cleanly.
Might be Windows specific? I haven't had an issue on Win10 64bit build 1803.

As for the jobs having an issue, might be a depreciated filter since the changes in KNLMeans? IDK, I didn't have an issue with that either.

Quote:
I didn't have an issue with Win10's protection, not sure why you did but I see you're on a higher Win10 build than me.

Quote:
Please prevent RB taskbar tab from disappearing upon interface minimization. Perhaps give users the option to choose.

Please don't limit the number of audio tracks that can be demuxed or added to the output file when loading jobs from BD folder structures.

Please don't limit the choices for demuxing subtitle tracks to all or one when loading jobs from BD folder structures.
I haven't had an issue with RB taskbar tab disappearing either, some all-around strange issue it seems that you've been having.

as for audio/subs, personally I'd either have it copy all or what I usually do process the audio separate and manually mux it (video, audio, subs, etc...) all together after I've encoded the video with a batch script.

Quote:
Are these improvement requests being considered?:

Adding the ability to manually enter "name" information for video, audio and subtitle tracks within RipBot264 (RB) would be an asset.
This feature could be further enhanced by adding combo boxes with user-definable text strings for track names. This user-definable content should remain intact when RB is updated.

Removing limitations on the quantity of demuxable audio tracks from BD structure sources as well as the quantity of selectable audio tracks to be contained in the output file would be an asset.

Enabling output file names with periods (.) would be an asset.

RB’s “Automatically” setting for video cropping is capable of detecting the difference between pixels with desired video vs black. Could similar capability be implemented for RB’s “new frame” selector?

For resolution reducing encodes of non-standard crop ratio videos, like the BD vers of the movie "The Hateful Eight" @1920x700, RB doesn't offer a precise ratio-maintaining option. Users have to calculate it. Some might not know how. Especially considering the reduction factor determinate varies from width for most videos to height for others. Examples: 1920x1080 cropped to 1920x1016 requires 1280/1920 x 1016 to calc the height for 1280x678 (1280x677.333) or 1440x1080 cropped to 1436x1064 requires 720/1064 x 1436 to calc the width for 972x720 (971.729x720). In my 1st example, (1920x1016) the width determines the res reduction factor. In my 2nd example, the height determines the res reduction factor. In both examples I maintained the cropped source ratio while reducing the res to 720. RB should have an option for auto step-down to any standard res (1080, 720, 576, 480 etc.) while maintaining precise ratio of cropped source. Like my examples, RB would have to identify whether the width or height determines the reduction factor.
If you implemented this, users wouldn't need to calculate the pixel height or width for any res step-down while maintaining cropped source ratio.
If adding the ability to edit the title would default to the source title that would be nice as well.
Personally, I've always manually demuxed BDs, DVDs, ISOs, etc... before processing them with RipBot but I see a few people that like to use this feature.
I've gotten used to the no periods in names but I could see why it would be helpful, that and adding more foreign language support such as Chinese and Japanese.
The last feature sounds interesting but I've manually done it so many times I forget sometimes what would be helpful for the average user.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360