Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th October 2011, 22:53   #10021  |  Link
Boltron

So, on my never ending quest for the best quality playback possible, a question for you folks. On another forum where I sing songs praise for madVR, some made comments that they get better PQ from Nvidia than ATI.

Now I know that we all have our preferences (I am in the ATI camp), but can anyone offer a non-biased opinion on which, if either, will produce a better picture, Nvidia or ATI. I really don't care about leveraging H/W acceleration so let's ignore that ability. However, full audio Bitstreaming is a must.

I run Windows 7 and use MPC-HC/LAV Filters/madVR. Output is HDMI to a Denon receiver and on to an LG LCD TV. The TV is calibrated and data is fed to madVR yCMS.
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 04:06   #10022  |  Link
Mikey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
I recently decided to give madVR another go, last time I had issues in fullscreen. After many tries it's apparent that in my own system MadVR is incapable to produce a smooth video image. Even when the renderer itself reports zero glitches the motion is glitchy, I can see microstutters in every panning scene. I've tried all the flush options, the DX11 option, the anti-glitch options, nothing gets rid of the glitches. It is sad, because the image quality is top, but I cannot tolerate glitches when I watch videos.

Back to MPC-HC's EVR-CP for now, image quality not great, but not a single glich, ever.
Your stats show that you should be able to use ReClock properly. Most people (including myself) jumped on "Hardware Decoding" Try software decoding, for me I went from many lags to perfection (even on Spline-4/Spline-4 resizing!)

There are several ways to do this, but it can be done simply by blocking your normal decoder and enabling the "processing" options in madvr.

I am a big fan of Software Decoding, it balances half of the work to the CPU [the decoding] and the other half to the GPU (the rendering.) And where the decoding occurs of course has no bearing on quality. thus leaving more resources on what does make a difference (i.e. MadVR's Rendering...)

A couple more possibilities:
  • Are you using ReClock [correctly] (If so what is madVR reporting as the delta from clock-speed?)
  • Are you sure you are in full-screen exclusive mode?
  • Are the shaders off on your player? (They are not compatible with madVR. Theoretically they should just be ignored, but I just checked mpc-hc and there was an option to turn them on/off...turn them off!)

I hope this helps...
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 04:17   #10023  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltron View Post
So, on my never ending quest for the best quality playback possible, a question for you folks. On another forum where I sing songs praise for madVR, some made comments that they get better PQ from Nvidia than ATI.

Now I know that we all have our preferences (I am in the ATI camp), but can anyone offer a non-biased opinion on which, if either, will produce a better picture, Nvidia or ATI. I really don't care about leveraging H/W acceleration so let's ignore that ability. However, full audio Bitstreaming is a must.

I run Windows 7 and use MPC-HC/LAV Filters/madVR. Output is HDMI to a Denon receiver and on to an LG LCD TV. The TV is calibrated and data is fed to madVR yCMS.
If you're not noticing things like microstutter or have driver problems/random visual glitches with ATI it won't really be any different to what you'll experience with an nvidia GPU, they're made to do the same thing really.

The only better thing about nvidia is you can use LAV CUVID for decoding, but that's just so the GPU is used for decoding not anything to do with visual quality. My only suggestion to you is that you keep trying new settings in madVR, LAVF etc.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 06:19   #10024  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Thank you all for the replies.

I do not overclock the card, in fact most of the control panel options are untouched and on their defaults except the video processing options where I turned off everything, but those do not apply to madVR anyway.

Shaders and all are off in the player, and I do use ReClock, I used it for many years now without issues.

I will have a look after I get off work of what happens to my GPU clocks during playback, but my setup is fairly standard and I do not want to resort to hacky stuff to force the card or something like that.
Old 8th October 2011, 06:21   #10025  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
Your stats show that you should be able to use ReClock properly. Most people (including myself) jumped on "Hardware Decoding" Try software decoding, for me I went from many lags to perfection (even on Spline-4/Spline-4 resizing!)

There are several ways to do this, but it can be done simply by blocking your normal decoder and enabling the "processing" options in madvr.

I am a big fan of Software Decoding, it balances half of the work to the CPU [the decoding] and the other half to the GPU (the rendering.) And where the decoding occurs of course has no bearing on quality. thus leaving more resources on what does make a difference (i.e. MadVR's Rendering...)

A couple more possibilities:
  • Are you using ReClock [correctly] (If so what is madVR reporting as the delta from clock-speed?)
  • Are you sure you are in full-screen exclusive mode?
  • Are the shaders off on your player? (They are not compatible with madVR. Theoretically they should just be ignored, but I just checked mpc-hc and there was an option to turn them on/off...turn them off!)

I hope this helps...
Some answers:
I do use ReClock as it should, cann't report the delta at the moment as I am away from my playback system.
I am sure I am in exclusive mode, it says so in madVR stats screen.
Shaders are off, along with everything else.
The Decoding is done by the LAV video decoder which is the best way to decode 10bit h264 to my knowledge.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:20   #10026  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I want to autochange my display output resolution when switching to different fps material. Tried the mpc-hc's own autochange option. No matter what I try, the checkbox 'use autochange fullscreen monitor mode' keep UNCHECKING when I play a movie.....

So I found the option in madVR to autoswitch to a specific output. Does this work flawlessly? And when I play content that is a little off range (like 1920x1080@23,800 instead of 1920x1080@23,976), which does not happen often but stil, can madVR 'read' this and is it able to send out 1920x1080@23 (ATI mode for 1920x1080@23,976)?

And do I just fill in 1080p23, 1080p25, 1080p29, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59 and 1080p60 so that madVR picks the best one?
And are there changes I need to make in my ATI CCC?

Basically I m looking for a guide for this
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:05   #10027  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
[...]

seeing all your questions, spread over different thread, you are looking for a manual so you can RTFM.

I'd advise you to use the search function. I have found the answers you many of your questions myself when i started using madVR. I have the feeling that you simlpy ask, and dont (or dont want to) do some of the work yourself.
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:14   #10028  |  Link
golagoda

^^

Search in thread works well, bound to find something of use with 500 pages of replies in here already
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 14:32   #10029  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
seeing all your questions, spread over different thread, you are looking for a manual so you can RTFM.

I'd advise you to use the search function. I have found the answers you many of your questions myself when i started using madVR. I have the feeling that you simlpy ask, and dont (or dont want to) do some of the work yourself.

Someone got out of bed wrong here..... Jesus man, calm down a bit.

Anyway, I did some searching and I could not find specific answers to my questions. Can someone point me in the right direction?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 15:30   #10030  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoan View Post
@cca
Try to monitor your GPU usage with GPU-Z during playback with madvr, if it stay in 2D mode (low clock), then that may be the problem.
so I had some time to check, it goes to 3D and back to 2D all the time, from 157Mhz to 750Mhz and back.

At this time I am at a loss, it is just not reliable.
Old 8th October 2011, 16:13   #10031  |  Link
kennae

Quote:
so I had some time to check, it goes to 3D and back to 2D all the time, from 157Mhz to 750Mhz and back.

At this time I am at a loss, it is just not reliable.
Reading all your posts you seem to think everything is madVR's fault, not yours or your computers.

It works fine with 3D clocks for most of the people, even with the excact same GPU as you.

I don't use ATI myself since the drivers usually fail in numerous of ways, but I bet you can lock madVR to use low level 3D clocks at all times it is in use, thus making it smooth.
kennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 16:15   #10032  |  Link
Boltron

My career (mostly software) spans 25 years. Over that time I have seen many engineers who have stood out. These are the people that are gifted, passionate and take pride in their work. I, very much, am like that also. When I do something, big or small, I am going to take the time to do it right.

I have been following the forums where Madshi and Nevcairiel (Lav Filers author) share their stuff for a long time. What quickly became evident was that these people are of that rare breed who are technically gifted (even brilliant), passionate and take pride in their work. They do it right, no shortcuts or hacks permitted.

I use their stuff happy in the knowledge that it is best in class. I know it has been done right and the results I see on my screen are evidence of this. Thanks for your passion guys, I wish we more Nevs and Madshis in the world.

Edit: OOPS wrong forum hehe... Dang, too many tabs open
Edit2: Guys, have a look at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1364824&page=3 for an interesting discussion.

Last edited by Boltron; 8th October 2011 at 16:33. Reason: Wrong forum.
Old 8th October 2011, 16:27   #10033  |  Link
Boltron

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
I want to autochange my display output resolution when switching to different fps material. Tried the mpc-hc's own autochange option. No matter what I try, the checkbox 'use autochange fullscreen monitor mode' keep UNCHECKING when I play a movie.....

So I found the option in madVR to autoswitch to a specific output. Does this work flawlessly? And when I play content that is a little off range (like 1920x1080@23,800 instead of 1920x1080@23,976), which does not happen often but stil, can madVR 'read' this and is it able to send out 1920x1080@23 (ATI mode for 1920x1080@23,976)?

And do I just fill in 1080p23, 1080p25, 1080p29, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59 and 1080p60 so that madVR picks the best one?
And are there changes I need to make in my ATI CCC?

In the madVR display mode changer field, you enter all the valid refresh rates your set supports, madVR will then choose the best choice automatically based on the file being played.

Make sure to enter only valid rates and make sure to turn off any other rate changer like the one in MPC-HC.

Check out http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228&page=362
Old 8th October 2011, 17:29   #10034  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennae View Post
Reading all your posts you seem to think everything is madVR's fault, not yours or your computers.

It works fine with 3D clocks for most of the people, even with the excact same GPU as you.

I don't use ATI myself since the drivers usually fail in numerous of ways, but I bet you can lock madVR to use low level 3D clocks at all times it is in use, thus making it smooth.
I did not blamed madVR or anyone else, I only report that is not working reliably on my system. Before implying anything about systems and people you never seen, you better have good reasons. There not 2 PCs that are exactly the same, PCs are not gaming consoles. I never ruled out a driver issue, but I do not have the free time to play with drivers right now. Just like madshi himself doesn't have time for madVR now. He has life. So do I.
Old 8th October 2011, 18:26   #10035  |  Link
kennae

cca: just saying that you can get it to work easily by locking the 3D state your GPU works. Takes as much time as one forum post.
kennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 19:12   #10036  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennae View Post
cca: just saying that you can get it to work easily by locking the 3D state your GPU works. Takes as much time as one forum post.
Noted. Any clue how to do this?
Old 8th October 2011, 19:55   #10037  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Noted. Any clue how to do this?
flash a modified BIOS, did it on my HD3850 when I realized that it could randomly go 2D/3D in the middle of a movie(double-checked in RivaTuner)

mind you I've also done it on my current nvidia board, I want stable clocks ffs.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 21:09   #10038  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
flash a modified BIOS, did it on my HD3850 when I realized that it could randomly go 2D/3D in the middle of a movie(double-checked in RivaTuner)

mind you I've also done it on my current nvidia board, I want stable clocks ffs.
Out of the question, I don't want to transform the card into a toaster. Too drastic of a measure to kill all power savings of the card.

EDIT: found a way through AMD Overdrive profiles. No effect to my problem, something else is causing it.

Last edited by cca; 8th October 2011 at 21:39.
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 23:53   #10039  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm still here, just no time for madVR at the moment. Don't worry, the break isn't going to last forever.
Thank you for clearing that up. You're greatly missed.
Old 9th October 2011, 04:55   #10040  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, Any chance you can comment on the comparison SEt showed of his renderer vs yours here?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling