Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2015, 20:42   #13601  |  Link
Viper714

Atak,
So far it does NOT look promising. It is very, very slow as before on Pass 1. The initial start was fast but as it got further into it it started to slow down.

Here is a link to a pdf I put together showing the encoding with the CPU usage of each machine as you requested before. Once the encoding is complete, if it does not crash first, I will post the logs and text files.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Mohicans.pdf
Viper714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 22:17   #13602  |  Link
Viper714

Atak,
The encoding was successful!! Really surprised as it did not start off very well. It took 02h:05m:47s to complete. Pass 1 usually hangs pretty high in the fps range and Pass 2 in the 6-12 fps range. Not sure why it was different but at least it worked. I will try a few other movies later for verification.

Here are the log files for you to review just in case
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ans2%20Log.zip

Thank you so much for your help in getting this working. Your efforts in supporting this program are so appreciated!!!!
Old 17th June 2015, 10:11   #13603  |  Link
Ronski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper714 View Post
Atak,
First findings,
  • UAC dialog box on start - normal
  • UAC dialog box second time on start - for server activation
  • UAC dialog box third time when adding a second server
  • Smart Screen Prevention box on one of my Windows 8 machines. Clicking OK does not work. Unable to run Ripbot256.

I turned off Smart Screen and got it to work. Please try to fix this as this should not have to be turned off

Will get back to you after encoding...
I'm pretty certain you need to press the more info button and then there's an option to permit or ignore this program.
Ronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 10:41   #13604  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

viper
first pass is by default much faster than second because it only analyses footage for optimal bitrate distribution. Actual encoding is done in second pass hence much slower encoding speed.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 15:37   #13605  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
viper
first pass is by default much faster than second because it only analyses footage for optimal bitrate distribution. Actual encoding is done in second pass hence much slower encoding speed.
Atak, I kind of figured that. I may not have detailed my post properly. I normally see that PASS 1 goes very quickly for the reason you stated. However, in the last encoding that I did yesterday (The Last of the Mohicans) I noticed that PASS 1 started out fast but slowed down extremely.

Using the above image, this shows PASS 1 as it was almost finished. Notice the RED boxes where the FPS is very low and the GREEN boxes showing the normal FPS range for PASS 1. In the past this would be the normal (GREEN) for PASS 1. Not sure why it would drop to 2 - 3 fps or even 9 fps on a read only. I will do another rip sometime today for additional comparison. I will also try version 1.18.1 just in case...

Sorry if I am being a pest. Just trying to pass information...
Old 17th June 2015, 15:50   #13606  |  Link
Tsusai

Quote:
Atak,
First findings,
  • UAC dialog box on start - normal
  • UAC dialog box second time on start - for server activation
  • UAC dialog box third time when adding a second server
  • Smart Screen Prevention box on one of my Windows 8 machines. Clicking OK does not work. Unable to run Ripbot256.

I turned off Smart Screen and got it to work. Please try to fix this as this should not have to be turned off

Will get back to you after encoding...

Ah SmartScreen. You got 2 things you can do. It's just like Win 7 when you download any file. It flags it from the Internet and just prompts you to make sure you know this.
1) When it prompts, you can click on More Info. It should give you a Run prompt
2) RT Click->Properties on the EXE. You might see an Unblock Button. Press it. You can do this on zip/7z/rar files as well prior to extraction so the extracted files aren't flagged from the Internet as well.
Tsusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 18:17   #13607  |  Link
Viper714

TSUSAI: Thank you for this information. I changed it as you mentioned and it worked great!!!!
Old 17th June 2015, 18:58   #13608  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Atak, I kind of figured that. I may not have detailed my post properly. I normally see that PASS 1 goes very quickly for the reason you stated. However, in the last encoding that I did yesterday (The Last of the Mohicans) I noticed that PASS 1 started out fast but slowed down extremely.

Using the above image, this shows PASS 1 as it was almost finished. Notice the RED boxes where the FPS is very low and the GREEN boxes showing the normal FPS range for PASS 1. In the past this would be the normal (GREEN) for PASS 1. Not sure why it would drop to 2 - 3 fps or even 9 fps on a read only. I will do another rip sometime today for additional comparison. I will also try version 1.18.1 just in case...

Sorry if I am being a pest. Just trying to pass information...
No it is ok. I'm also curious why you have such low cpu usage even with two instances.

I would like you to do the following things

1) Download process explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896653.aspx

2) Run again encoding but this time show me cpu usage for avs2yuv.exe and x264.exe

example

I predict that low fps is due to low cpu usage caused by something wrong going with your router. Basically avs2yuv.exe is waiting too long for frames from main pc.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 17th June 2015 at 19:06.
Old 17th June 2015, 23:51   #13609  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
No it is ok. I'm also curious why you have such low cpu usage even with two instances.

I would like you to do the following things

1) Download process explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896653.aspx

2) Run again encoding but this time show me cpu usage for avs2yuv.exe and x264.exe

I predict that low fps is due to low cpu usage caused by something wrong going with your router. Basically avs2yuv.exe is waiting too long for frames from main pc.
Atak:

Here is the info you requested...

Last of the Mohicans

Process Explorer

Here is the same information 5 minutes later

Hope that helps!!!
Old 18th June 2015, 12:03   #13610  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Something tells me that your network is not working in 1000 Mbps but in slower 100 Mbps mode.

Just take a look.
According to http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-La...Blu-ray/10898/ this movie has average bitrate of 38 Mbps. If we subtract audio stream (DTSMA ~4 Mbps) and all subtitles we should get pure video stream bitrate of ~33 Mbps.

Above image shows that your average encoding speed is 73 fps.
So If we divide 73 fps by 24 (movie frame rate) we get ~3.

33 Mbps * 3 = 99 Mbps.

To verify my theory you should do some simple copy test between PCs with some large file. If your copy speed is limited to ~12 MB/s then you have your answer why first pass is slow.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 18th June 2015 at 12:08.
Old 18th June 2015, 15:43   #13611  |  Link
mini-moose

I'm playing around with this interesting tool for the first time.

Got a couple of questions:

1) Why is Sharpen used as default? I tried to remove it from the .ini completely but then I got an error when starting encode saying
Sharpen values are incorrect. Changed it to 0.0 on .ini now, but I'm not sure if that disables it completely.

2) Seems like DSS is always the default decoder unless distributed encoding is used in which case the source is indexed by ffms2.
Is there a way to choose between DSS and indexing for single pc encode?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by mini-moose; 18th June 2015 at 16:14.
mini-moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 16:18   #13612  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

1) 0 = means disabled. (filter has nothing to do) I've added gentle sharpening because downscaled movie looks better (especially on my ancient PSP with screen 480x272)
2) If ain't broke don't fix it. That's my motto. DirectShowSource has been working well for all those years. It is ok if you do not need frame accurate seeking.
Old 18th June 2015, 17:20   #13613  |  Link
mini-moose

Quote:
1) 0 = means disabled. (filter has nothing to do)
thanks for confiming. I had a hard time finding documentation on Sharpen for some reason.

Quote:
2) If ain't broke don't fix it. That's my motto. DirectShowSource has been working well for all those years. It is ok if you do not need frame accurate seeking.
Good motto Was just wondering if there was a way to do it differently and I couldn't find it.
mini-moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 21:28   #13614  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
Something tells me that your network is not working in 1000 Mbps but in slower 100 Mbps mode......
Atak, I will run a LAN Speed test in a few. But just FYI, I decided to swap the Ethernet cable to another plug on the motherboard on my server. I tried the same encoding with 1.18.3 and got the same result on Pass 1. Average was 2-4 FPS.
Then I tried version 1.18.1 and I got 17 - 24 fps range.

All was going great up to the end of PASS 1 until Ripbot either crashed of froze.

I tried turning off the offending server but would not work. THe abort button did work and it started encoding the last chunk in PASS 1. It is continuing as I type at around 24 FPS. IF I had a network issue wouldn't I still get the same issue even in 1.18.1??
Old 19th June 2015, 07:29   #13615  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
To verify my theory you should do some simple copy test between PCs with some large file. If your copy speed is limited to ~12 MB/s then you have your answer why first pass is slow.
Atak, Here are my results on a LAN test from the SERVER-PC to the other three computers. I tested a 500 MB file as you will notice.

X-51 PC

LTPC

PAUL-PC

Hope this helps to answer this conundrum!!!
Old 19th June 2015, 10:30   #13616  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

My last idea. Copy x264 folder from 1.18.1 version to 1.18.3 (TOOLS/x264)
Old 19th June 2015, 13:12   #13617  |  Link
slalom

I had a similar problem. One RJ45 plug had issues and I replaced it.

So check your plugs for signs of abuse
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 16:21   #13618  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
My last idea. Copy x264 folder from 1.18.1 version to 1.18.3 (TOOLS/x264)
Okay I will try it later today. Will let you know
Old 19th June 2015, 16:25   #13619  |  Link
Viper714

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I had a similar problem. One RJ45 plug had issues and I replaced it.

So check your plugs for signs of abuse
Humm!! Good point. Amazingly I recently purchased an Ethernet Cable tester. Time to put it to good use!!! Thanks for the recommendation...
Old 19th June 2015, 17:26   #13620  |  Link
slalom

Do an optical inspection. I still had 1 Gbps connection on the Task Manager, but the the cable inside the plug was pulled about 5mm
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360