Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th October 2019, 10:31   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Lossless export from Davinci Resolve?

Hi there,
I basically gotta work on the encoding of a documentary.
The whole project has been edited in AVID and it's now gonna be color-corrected in Davinci Resolve.
After that, they're gonna send the file over and I'm gonna have to encode it to make the official Bluray version (I'm gonna use Avisynth and x264 of course), the Motion JPEG2000 version for the DCP for which I'm gonna use Avisynth and ffmpeg/OpenDCP and the MPEG-2 XDCAM version for air-time in our linear channels using Avisynth and ffmbc.
Davinci Resolve is running on Windows 10 and they wanted to know how they have to export it. I don't have access to that computer, so I can't check which codecs it supports on export.
I do know, however, that it cannot export in AppleProRes 'cause it's running on Windows.
Anyway, since my encode it's gonna be a lossy one, I'd like to make them export the whole thing in lossless, so the question to you folks is: which lossless codecs does Davinci Resolve support on Windows?
And, if it doesn't support any lossless codec, which is the "less lossy" codec and settings I can ask them to export the file as?

The final project is gonna be a BT709 SDR 100 nit FULL HD 8bit yv12, even though it has been shot in UHD 10bit 4:4:4 planar in log with a number of nits that were actually enough to make an HLG HDR content. I know you may think that it's "madness" to go for a FULL HD SDR 8bit in 2019 (almost 2020), but the documentary is full of old archive footages coming from very old 35mm and it took a lot of time to remaster it, upscale it to FULL HD with NNEDI and Spline64 with 16bit precision and convert it to BT709, so bringing it to UHD and BT2020 HLG would be madness and it would also potentially make it look not only worse but also different from how the author wanted it to look like, so...

Anyway, in a nutshell, does Davinci Resolve support lossless codecs?
And if it doesn't which is the less lossy one I can ask them to export?

Thank you in advance as always,
Frank.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote