Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st September 2015, 10:00   #32701  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate89 View Post
Hi. I'm looking to madvr profiling. Does exist a switch that allow to enable a profile if the laptop is running with ac plugged or battery? I'd like to set a lighter profile when I'm running on battery only.
Not in an automated way, as far as I know, but you can switch between them manually.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:09   #32702  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghiabeo20 View Post
Hi,
I tried this method, but it didn't work. Nothing like "Geforce GTX 960M" showed up. How do I make madvr use the 960M instead of HD4600?
(W10 64, newest driver for both GPU, Jinc3 & xbr).
Thanks in advance!
Two ways of doing this:
  1. Use the Nvidia inspector and change the MPC-HC profile settings to utilize the GPU
  2. or make a copy of the MPC-HC exe and rename it to something like MPC-HC graphics card and set that to use the GPU and as your default player.
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 14:04   #32703  |  Link
x7007

Following this guide
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=31986

Does it mean I need to select

Chroma Upscaling : super-xbr - Sharpness 100 - AR - SuperRes Filter / Default
image downscaling : Lanczos 3 Taps - AR
image doubling : not sure what to choose here
image upscaling : Jinc - AR
upscaling refinement : SuperRes / Default - 1 , 0.66 Rfine the image after every ~2x upscaling step

Is that correct / same as what madvr selected , is that how you enable SuperRes or there is other way ? Do I need to select upscaling refinement after selecting it in chroma upscaling ?
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 14:23   #32704  |  Link
huhn

superres should be used only once so select "refine the image only once after upscaling is complete"
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 15:54   #32705  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
superres should be used only once so select "refine the image only once after upscaling is complete"
So I only select SuperRes from Chroma Upscaling and not touching the upscaling refinement ? what it is for ?
Old 1st September 2015, 17:15   #32706  |  Link
huhn

chroma is for chroma and image is for image so you can use both if you see the difference.

but upscale refinement and superres shouldn't be used with every 2x.
Old 1st September 2015, 17:47   #32707  |  Link
Akeno

You can also use this chart as a sort of guide. As for what you need to select, that depends on both your hardware's abilities and your eyes. Image doubling doubles the image size using whatever algorithm you select there. As a rule of thumb, people are much more sensitive to the luma channel than the chroma channel so the majority of madVR users put their processing power into image scaling.
Old 2nd September 2015, 03:19   #32708  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
Two ways of doing this:
  1. Use the Nvidia inspector and change the MPC-HC profile settings to utilize the GPU
  2. or make a copy of the MPC-HC exe and rename it to something like MPC-HC graphics card and set that to use the GPU and as your default player.
does it force 960M to decode and render the film? or just decode? thanks!
nghiabeo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 04:25   #32709  |  Link
Akeno

Decoding is done by whatever you have designated. MPC-HC will automatically use its internal LAV Filters if you haven't specified another one. madVR has no decoding capabilities as it is purely a video renderer.
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:57   #32710  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
chroma is for chroma and image is for image so you can use both if you see the difference.

but upscale refinement and superres shouldn't be used with every 2x.

So selecting Refine the image only once after upscaling is complete would be preferred ?

The question is can I select Chroma Upscaling SuperRes and Select Upscaling refinement SuperRes .

from the post I read super-xbr + SuperRes has better quality than Jinc tap 3. that what Madshi said at least
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:57   #32711  |  Link
Akeno

You can select both if you prefer and if your GPU can handle running both. Development of SuperRes is being concentrated on upscaling refinement at the moment as that produces the most visible differences. This means that the SuperRes filter in Chroma and Upscaling Refinement are similar but not the same due to more tweaks made towards the latter.
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:36   #32712  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghiabeo20 View Post
does it force 960M to decode and render the film? or just decode? thanks!
Quote:
Decoding is done by whatever you have designated. MPC-HC will automatically use its internal LAV Filters if you haven't specified another one. madVR has no decoding capabilities as it is purely a video renderer.
As Akeno said, for me both decoding and rendering is done by nvidia in this way.
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:47   #32713  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
did i missed the reason you can't use 353.49 needi3 work with these driver under win10
upgrade to windows 10 worst decision ever
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:39   #32714  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
upgrade to windows 10 worst decision ever
this is an nvidia issue not windows 10. keep on track plz not everyone is ignoring new features.
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:31   #32715  |  Link
XMonarchY

Is madshi resting/on vacation with red pandas or coding for new madVR? I don't have a problem with either!

BTW, NVidia stated that it was simply the first company to remove D3D9 - OpenCL support from their drivers due to its age and rare cases when it is used, especially in Windows 10. Supposedly both AMD and Intel will drop support for this interop sooner or later. Then again, NVidia hasn't made the best decision in recent past - lack of Async shader support in DirectX 12, overall poor/glitchy drivers (aside from D3D9 - OpenCL interop), and of course lack of the needed OpenCL interop is drivers past 353.49 Hotfix release... AMD may become the next Home Theater and gaming ruler!

Last edited by XMonarchY; 3rd September 2015 at 02:15.
Old 2nd September 2015, 20:31   #32716  |  Link
Akeno

People need to stop assuming that Nvidia is purposely gimping their drivers. They're doing what's best for business and what's best is reflected in what the market needs or wants. D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop fits neither of those criteria outside of specific cases like with madVR. If you want to complain about Windows 10 and Nvidia, do so in a different thread instead of clogging up a madVR discussion and testing thread.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:07   #32717  |  Link
Kranium
I'm Confused

I was playing around with my MadVR settings last night and a few questions have popped up.

When I play any 29-30fps video in FSE I get something like 10+ repeated frames per second. I lowered upscaling settings a lot with these files and it didn't change anything. I just realized I didn't play with Smooth Motion settings though. Any other ideas why this would be? When I run the same files windowed at the desktop's 60Hz setting I do not get these repeated frames.

Second question. I reached a "desired" upscaling setting that has 39-41ms rendering times on fairly high bitrate 720p -> 1080p conversions. I had read that you want to keep these a bit lower, but if I'm not getting any reports of dropped or repeated frames should it be ok? Or is there another downside I am not thinking of.

Thanks for the help in advance

*Edit: This is Win10 with 353.49 drivers.

Last edited by Kranium; 2nd September 2015 at 21:15.
Kranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:17   #32718  |  Link
zvans18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post
When I close Precision X everything works fine. Other overclocking programs like MSI Afterburner or Asus GPU Tweak do not have this issue.
FWIW precision made a bunch of games stop working correctly for me, something is definitely wrong with some part of it
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:06   #32719  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
When I play any 29-30fps video in FSE I get something like 10+ repeated frames per second. I lowered upscaling settings a lot with these files and it didn't change anything. I just realized I didn't play with Smooth Motion settings though. Any other ideas why this would be? When I run the same files windowed at the desktop's 60Hz setting I do not get these repeated frames.
a screen from the OSD could help.
Quote:
Second question. I reached a "desired" upscaling setting that has 39-41ms rendering times on fairly high bitrate 720p -> 1080p conversions. I had read that you want to keep these a bit lower, but if I'm not getting any reports of dropped or repeated frames should it be ok? Or is there another downside I am not thinking of.
that fine as it is.
Old 2nd September 2015, 23:39   #32720  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
People need to stop assuming that Nvidia is purposely gimping their drivers. They're doing what's best for business and what's best is reflected in what the market needs or wants. D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop fits neither of those criteria outside of specific cases like with madVR. If you want to complain about Windows 10 and Nvidia, do so in a different thread instead of clogging up a madVR discussion and testing thread.
I share the same sentiment. Like I've said before, downgrade your driver and wait for madshi to fix it.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling