Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd December 2018, 00:03   #53961  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

I really dont know how this has anything to do with dropped or repeated frames but this is my observation during testing and I still dont understand the result.
1. If I set JRiver to bitstream playing at 24 or 23.97 on the video card 1080Ti I get repeated frames on the stats of madvr.
2. If I set JRiver to PCM playing at 24 or 23.97 on the video card, I get no repeated or dropped frames on the stats for madvr, shows zero dropped/repeated frames for 4/5 days.

Again something I just dont understand why...
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 03:30   #53962  |  Link
huhn

jriver has a resample function that matches the speed of the audio with the video thsi doesn't work with bitstreaming.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 03:37   #53963  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
jriver has a resample function that matches the speed of the audio with the video thsi doesn't work with bitstreaming.
Yes I use the video clock in JR with PCM as it doesnt work with bitstreaming. So this is the reason that 1 & 2 above show differances between frames dropped/replaced vs no frames dropped/replaced?

So in this instance with madvr, using PCM in JR is much better than bitstreaming in JR, as we dont get dropped or replaced frames and video playback is much smoother and always in sync.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:53   #53964  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yes. PCM is much easier to keep in sync without dropped frames. The only real downside in this day and age is the loss of DTS:X and ATMOS. If all you're doing is DTS HD MA and TrueHD, decoding to PCM will be quite perfect and eliminate the frame drop problems as you've seen.
Old 22nd December 2018, 09:08   #53965  |  Link
NoSauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
@actarusfleed

you are using DXVA native which results in blackbar detection isn't working.

the next problem is you are using different tools to fix your issue. not saying it can't fix your issues but you should only choice one.

but as soon as you are getting blackbar detection working either the nvidia cropping or the madVR masking should give you the results you are looking for.

if your projector have lens memory the madVR way give you more resolution.
I'm using DXVA2 (copy-back). Does this result in blackbar detection not working as well?

I don't know what would explain everything being fine on my laptop monitor in FSE mode and have black bars on the side for my external monitor. Here is my original query:

When I enter Full Screen Exclusive (FSE) mode on my external monitor there are extra black bars on the sides that squishes the video horizontally. This does not happen in Windowed mode. This does not happen on my non-external, laptop monitor whether it's FSE or windowed. Any suggestions? Thanks!
i7-8565U Nvidia MX150, 32GB DDR4, 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, VP2870-4K (27" IPS 4K Monitor), TB3 to CalDigit TS3 Plus to DP to DP, Win10 64 Ent, Potplayer, LAV Filters v0.73.1, madVR v0.92.17
NoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 10:21   #53966  |  Link
PrayForMojo

any reason why this is happening with this particular 1080p/hdr10/h265 file in DXVA copy back mode?
video displays fine in dxva native and cuvid modes (gtx 970).

dxva copyback works fine with other types of videos. this is the only file i've come across so far that's exhibiting this issue.

any suggestions?

PrayForMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 11:23   #53967  |  Link
sneaker_ger

1. If it happens only in DXVA copy-back the problem is unrelated to madvr
2. No one knows if there's anything special about "this particular 1080p/hdr10/h265 file" because you didn't upload it.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:30   #53968  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I created 1 custom mode for 23p with madvr (the rest of the modes are fine on my system), all work fine.
- the interesting part is that it created a 24p entry in nvidia control panel not 23p. Is this right this way?
-- it still can properly switch to 23p and 24p ONLY if the mode is different at the beginning of playback (e.g. 60p)
- but if the mode of the display is set e.g. to 23p "manually" then madVR can't switch to the custom "23p" mode. Is this correct as well?

The 2nd one normally isn't an issue since at the end of the playback when the player closes, mnadvr switches back to the original mode (e.g. 60p).
But if I set "After playback: Sleep" in MPC-BE then madvr can't switch the mode back, and next time when I turn on the TV I have to manually set it back to 60p (since it's still in the custom 23p mode).
Is there any workaround for this?
Thanks!
Is this the correct way to work? Anybody?
Old 22nd December 2018, 16:07   #53969  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSauce View Post
I'm using DXVA2 (copy-back). Does this result in blackbar detection not working as well?

I don't know what would explain everything being fine on my laptop monitor in FSE mode and have black bars on the side for my external monitor. Here is my original query:

When I enter Full Screen Exclusive (FSE) mode on my external monitor there are extra black bars on the sides that squishes the video horizontally. This does not happen in Windowed mode. This does not happen on my non-external, laptop monitor whether it's FSE or windowed. Any suggestions? Thanks!
blackbar detection works with copyback.

for the other problem can you make a screen of the OSD(control+j)?
Old 22nd December 2018, 18:37   #53970  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForMojo View Post
any reason why this is happening with this particular 1080p/hdr10/h265 file in DXVA copy back mode?
I had this kind of artifacts with old drivers, but it was with all HDR videos and only in CUVID mode.

This is weird, it says NV12 8 bit and below HDR unknown properties (?!)

Last edited by Alexkral; 22nd December 2018 at 19:40.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:23   #53971  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR currently always renders in D3D9. So if you tell it to use D3D11 for presentation, it has to use 2 different D3D devices (one v9 and one v11) and the devices have to share their textures. This works well for AMD and Nvidia, but the Intel driver doesn't seem to like it very much. I'm not sure what MPDN does internally, maybe it also renders with D3D11, then it doesn't have to do the texture sharing.

In some future version I'm going to switch to D3D11 everywhere, then I don't have to share textures, anymore, which will probably improve the situation for Intel GPU users. However, this will mean losing compatability to XP and Vista.
if you stop share textures than that mean you will remove D3D9 renders but Direct3D 11 runs on Windows Vista with problem ?
anyway i think is time to Ditch windows xp support like ffmpeg and mpc-hc/be did
Old 23rd December 2018, 01:15   #53972  |  Link
PrayForMojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
I had this kind of artifacts with old drivers, but it was with all HDR videos and only in CUVID mode.

This is weird, it says NV12 8 bit and below HDR unknown properties (?!)
got the latest drivers for the 970 from nvidia.com

here is a screenshot with dxva native:

i'm going to guess it's the way this particular video is encoded. guessing dxva copy back doesn't like something about it. everything else i've tried including 4k hdr10 hevc stuff works great.
PrayForMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 17:07   #53973  |  Link
KrazyLurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayForMojo View Post
got the latest drivers for the 970 from nvidia.com

here is a screenshot with dxva native:

i'm going to guess it's the way this particular video is encoded. guessing dxva copy back doesn't like something about it. everything else i've tried including 4k hdr10 hevc stuff works great.
I guess you are using PotPLayer.
Is Built-In Video Transform Filter Settings set to "disable" and all the boxes underneath Built-In Audio Transform Filter Settings unchecked? If not, try that.
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 17:23   #53974  |  Link
Warner306

It could be something to do with the lack of HDR metadata, "unknown properties."
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 17:29   #53975  |  Link
direxx

Hi,

I have discovered an extremely strange bug in conjunction with MadVR. When playing low-res 25p content (SD quality) in exclusive mode I am getting weird audio dropouts through HDMI. This happens especially with NGU upscalers.

My setup:
  • Asus Radeon RX 480 8G -> HDMI 2.0 -> Denon AVR -> TV
  • Intel i7-4790K
  • Full 4K chain

This is what's happening:
  • I am playing back a 720x404 file (25p), upscaled to 4K → either in Kodi DSplayer or MPC-BE, it does not matter
  • My MadVR "DVD" profile is activated, which does NGU Soft (High) Upscaling and some post processing
  • MadVR plays in exclusive mode
  • The Audio (Dolby Digital 2.0) is bitstreamed to my AVR

I am getting very frequent audio dropouts. The bummer is that if I use some low-end scaling algorithms such as Jinc in MadVR I am not getting any audio dropouts. With NGU (medium) these dropouts are not that frequent and my GPU load is very low. Apparently this only happens with 25p content. When switching from MadVR to another renderer this also does not happen any more.

Random thoughts about this:
  • It's not the cable. Gaming at 4K@60Hz is working completely fine. The audio also drops out in 1080p.
  • I have already upgraded LAV filters to the latest version. I have also tried to disable AC3 bitsteaming, but the audio also drops out with PCM (and various other LAV audio settings).
  • I have tried various versions of the Radeon driver. Right now I am at 18.12.2. I have disabled HDCP for the HDMI display.
  • This only happens with MadVR. Kodi default player is not affected, neither is MPC-BE with "Enhanced Renderer".
  • In MadVR windowed mode everything is fine (no dropouts).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? This is super strange and I cannot imagine what's going on here. Maybe a faulty GPU or a faulty driver? MadVR issue maybe?
direxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:23   #53976  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by direxx View Post
Hi,

I have discovered an extremely strange bug in conjunction with MadVR. When playing low-res 25p content (SD quality) in exclusive mode I am getting weird audio dropouts through HDMI. This happens especially with NGU u?
just doesnt sound like your system is handling what is quite a large upscale + processing, what are your rendering times in MADVR, are they sub 30ms?, do you also get frame drops / repeats?
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:40   #53977  |  Link
SirSwede

Question:

Does either Hibernation or Sleep Mode affect the madVR (or any picture settings for that matter) - when madVR is not running (probably should be added) - on a Windows 7 Home Premium desktop PC?

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 21:49   #53978  |  Link
huhn

no it doesn't affect it.
Old 24th December 2018, 12:06   #53979  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

With the average render stats at around ~30ms, but the max stats can ramp up to ~44ms, what can the cause of this be? I tried to lower my settings, so that the average stats is around ~25ms, but the same thing happens. Only now the max stats is ~39ms. Too taxing for the GPU or is it something else?

Also I don't get dropped frames, but I do get a few stutters here and there. Highly annoying!
Old 24th December 2018, 12:11   #53980  |  Link
direxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
just doesnt sound like your system is handling what is quite a large upscale + processing, what are your rendering times in MADVR, are they sub 30ms?, do you also get frame drops / repeats?
Hi,

my rendering times are usually around 20ms and I don't get any frame drops (or maybe one per hour). As I said especially with NGU medium upscaling my GPU load is also only medium in that particular scenario (CPU is almost idle). Since the rendering times are also fine I don't think it comes from the GPU being too weak for my settings.

Any other ideas?
direxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling