Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 13th July 2008, 16:16   #1  |  Link
MagnumRT

AVCHD 1080i / GraphEdit / VDub: De-Interlaced problem?

Hello!

The video makes it to VDub. The problem is that even when I use a de-interlace filter in VDub, it is still ghosting badly.

Here's how I'm doing it.

1) TsMuxeR to demux AC3 and 264 files.

2) Created a GraphEdit file. The mapping is:
.264 file from Sony 1080i camera > Cyberlink Demux > Cyberlink AVC/264 Decoder (I have PowerDVD 7.3 installed)

3) My AviSynth file looks like this:
Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\Docume~1\Admini~1\Desktop\alan2.grf", 

audio=false)

4) Resulting "File Information" in VDub

So, for the life of me, I am confused and tired of searching for clues. This same setup works flawlessly with my ripped HD movies because they are progressive.

Anyone can throw me a bone? lol Thanks!
Old 14th July 2008, 00:27   #2  |  Link

What deinterlacer and settings are you using?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 11:08   #3  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Also, were you looking at the input or the output pane, or at the encoded result?

The effect an interlacer (or any VDub filter) has, if any, will not be visible in the input pane, which by default might be the only pane visible if your monitor's resolution is smaller than your video file's.

But to be honest I'd use an AVISynth deinterlacer anyway since there's a much broader (and more recent) selection of deinterlacers available and you're already using AVISynth to boot...
Old 14th July 2008, 11:53   #4  |  Link
MagnumRT

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I am looking at the output pane. I've tried both VDub's internal deinterlace (blend mode) and also Grisoft's Deinterlace. Both make absolutely no difference and the ghosting is exactly the same as in the input pane.

I have come across a few AviSynth deinterlace tutorials but they are overwhelming. I can't find any concrete examples for me to follow. I'd be interested in learning how but if I could be pointed to the right direction, I'd really appreciate the help!

Thanks guys
Old 14th July 2008, 13:18   #5  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumRT View Post
Both make absolutely no difference and the ghosting is exactly the same as in the input pane.
Wait - weren't you talking about interlacing? Blending and interlacing are absolutely not the same thing, and a deinterlacer can't help you with blending (hence the name).

... interlacing
... blending

So which is it?

Also, come to think of it - VDub's "deinterlace (blend mode)" deinterlacer does exactly that: it blends both fields together. I don't know the other deinterlacer you mentioned.

If you want no blending you'll (obviously) have to use a deinterlacer that doesn't blend...

Quote:
I have come across a few AviSynth deinterlace tutorials but they are overwhelming. I can't find any concrete examples for me to follow. I'd be interested in learning how but if I could be pointed to the right direction, I'd really appreciate the help!
Ummm... putting, say,
Code:
LeakKernelDeint(order=0, threshold=4)
after your DirectShowSource line should be a start... (if the resulting video is jerky you probably need order=1)

Last edited by Leak; 14th July 2008 at 13:23.
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 19:22   #6  |  Link
MagnumRT

It's definitely the blending picture you posted.

What I've noticed in VDub is that when I load (directly into VDub) a regular interlaced MPEG2 file recorded from my TV card, VDub distinguishes the frames as I, P, B. So I assume it knows that it's interlaced.

In the case of loading the AVC 1080i file with AviSynth / GraphEdit, VDub does not distinguish the frames. They are all "K" frames. So, I assume, VDub believes it's a progressive source so it can't deinterlace...right or wrong?

Anyway, as you say, I'm sure this can be solved by doing it via AviSynth. I tried your code after DSS line, but it did nothing.

I'm starting to think it's my GraphEdit map...

Last edited by MagnumRT; 14th July 2008 at 19:29.
MagnumRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2008, 19:58   #7  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumRT View Post
What I've noticed in VDub is that when I load (directly into VDub) a regular interlaced MPEG2 file recorded from my TV card, VDub distinguishes the frames as I, P, B. So I assume it knows that it's interlaced.
That's a total non-sequitur. The picture coding type has nothing to do with interlaced/progressive nature of the content.

Quote:
In the case of loading the AVC 1080i file with AviSynth / GraphEdit, VDub does not distinguish the frames. They are all "K" frames. So, I assume, VDub believes it's a progressive source so it can't deinterlace...right or wrong?
Wrong. The frames are all shown as keyframes because Avisynth has decompressed them and is delivering raw video to VirtualDub. Instead of going in circles with all this uninformed talk, you should just post a short *unprocessed* sample of your source stream. Then we can tell you exactly what is going on.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:57   #8  |  Link
florinandrei

Right after DirectShowSource() try to add AssumeTFF() and see if that makes ghosting disappear.

Code:
DirectShowSource(...blah...)
AssumeTFF()

http://florin.myip.org/
florinandrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 20:50   #9  |  Link
MagnumRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
That's a total non-sequitur. The picture coding type has nothing to do with interlaced/progressive nature of the content.

Wrong. The frames are all shown as keyframes because Avisynth has decompressed them and is delivering raw video to VirtualDub. Instead of going in circles with all this uninformed talk, you should just post a short *unprocessed* sample of your source stream. Then we can tell you exactly what is going on.
Thanks for that quick lesson. I'll see what I can do about some clips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinandrei View Post
Right after DirectShowSource() try to add AssumeTFF() and see if that makes ghosting disappear.

Code:
DirectShowSource(...blah...)
AssumeTFF()
Just tried it. Didn't make any difference. I have a feeling that my GraphEdit is not setup properly... Although when I play/render the video file in GraphEdit, it's crystal clear, smooth and deinterlaced.

Tags
1080i, avchd, interlaced