Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th May 2020, 14:20   #59641  |  Link
toki

The only thing that seems to be fixing this is lowering my settings under scaling. I don't understand though, how could my previous settings work, but I have to lower them after updating windows and Nvidia drivers?

Edit: Fixed it. All the updates reset my overclocking.

Last edited by toki; 28th May 2020 at 14:24.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 20:09   #59642  |  Link
shaolin95

Guys is there a place to follow for latest beta releases or just get posted here?
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 20:35   #59643  |  Link
VBB

That would be this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...projector.html

madshi hasn't checked in on doom9 in a very long time, but he does every once in a while at AVS.
Old 31st May 2020, 01:15   #59644  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
That would be this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...projector.html

madshi hasn't checked in on doom9 in a very long time, but he does every once in a while at AVS.
THanks for the info!
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 04:26   #59645  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

quick question.....

is it normal for GPU´s to have coil whine when using MadVR?
i had an gtx670 and had coile whine when using MadVR, and 2 days ago that Card died while watching a movie... Im pretty shure that MadVR DID NOT kill it, it just gave that old Card teh last push i guess... The Card had it coming :P

Anyway.... i now got an GTX970 and its exactly the same thing^^ When using MadVR i have coil whine... the higher the RAM/GPU Clock, the higher the screetching sound... I did now mod my bios a bit and lowered the RAM just a little and the also the max TDP, now its still there but way better then before...

Has anyone else experinced this? How DID YOU fix this? Is that common?
And one more question to the advanced Techis here, is it bad for the Card? (i mean, i have at least one Card that died while "doing" it :P )... i mean i know what coil whine is and how it works, but im still wondering.... It could also be dirty energy? i forgot how its called, when the PSU isnt that good and gives a not so clean signal, wich the GPU / Hardware has to counter and then u can also have Coil whine.. is there a way to test if its my PSU?

I know, i know, those are some more techy questions, but i hope you guys have still something to say

Best Regards..
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 05:16   #59646  |  Link
Asmodian

madVR is more likely to cause coil whine. It is a very spiky load, once the queues are full the GPU renders one frame and then idles until it needs to render the next frame. At a 70% load with 24 fps video this means the GPU is using a lot of power for 29 ms then very little power for 13 ms, and repeat forever.

But a GPU does not have to whine with madVR, my last two GPUs have not whined while running madVR but I did have a GPU that had a louder whine with madVR than it did normally.

Whining is not dangerous for the GPU.
Old 31st May 2020, 11:44   #59647  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
is it normal for GPU´s to have coil whine when using MadVR?
Yes.

Quote:
How DID YOU fix this?
You can´t really fix it. Some cards are affected, some not. It depends on the coils, their design and quality.

Quote:
is it bad for the Card?
No. It´s annoying, nothing more.

Quote:
It could also be dirty energy? [...] is there a way to test if its my PSU?
What you mean is current ripple of the PSU. A PSU doesn´t produce perfect DC, it always has an AC component.
The current "quality" should be sufficient for all PC components and it should not have an impact on your GPU´s coil whine. The PSU itself can be affected of coil whine as well (independant of the described problem).
So no need to test or change your PSU.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 12:05   #59648  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
madVR is more likely to cause coil whine. It is a very spiky load, once the queues are full the GPU renders one frame and then idles until it needs to render the next frame. At a 70% load with 24 fps video this means the GPU is using a lot of power for 29 ms then very little power for 13 ms, and repeat forever.
Maybe madshi could add an option to adjust the queue refill strategy. That could perhaps reduce these kind of side-effects. The queue doesn't strictly need to be nearly full all the time. With a queue of size 8, refill will now happen when it drops to 7. Instead you could wait until it drops to 6 or even 4.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 13:10   #59649  |  Link
huhn

@BetA13 what do you even understand as coilwhine? it's been misunderstood with a different problem all the time.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 13:59   #59650  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
coilwhine ... is misunderstood with a different problem ...
What problem is that?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 14:14   #59651  |  Link
huhn

noise from speaker under load.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 14:30   #59652  |  Link
Klaus1189

That should be easy to determine, press mute on remote of AVR. If the whine sound is still there, it is coilwhine, right? Do you know what is causing this noise from speaker under load, I think there was something here in the past already, but I can't really remember.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 16:02   #59653  |  Link
tp4tissue

Coil whine unfortunately can be ALOT of things rolled into one.

It could be a coil/ capacitor/ chock/ resistor/ inductor, etc etc, anything that creates friction(resistance) for electricity can exhibit the piezoelectric effect.

Plugging in different components _TOGETHER_ often changes the situation of how the electricity drains through the device, so it can cause whine that wasn't there if those components were seperate.

This is primarily why OPTICAL is still the cleanest option for PC sound output as it's a form of galvanic isolation.

GPUs/CPUs are resistors, therefore, given the right circumstances, they screech as well.
Old 31st May 2020, 22:16   #59654  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Thank you for all the informative Answers.

@tp4tissue

yes, i did recently change my Hardware.. (upgraded)

@Asmodian

Quote:
This!!! is exactly what i saw in my GPU stats(afterburner) Its only happening when teh GPU is running with Full Clock speeds, as soonest it clocks down the noise is gone. But its the Speed of the VRAM´s from what i could found out in my testings, GPU clocks do not matter so much in my Case. As soonest the VRAM clocks down, the noise is gone... So its the buffering of teh prerendered frames? Or something like that... Dont know if i sayd that right...

---

Also, i know what Coil WHine is and its coming form the GPU.. NOT the speakers.
Like i sayd, when downclocking the Card, the Coil whine is allmost gone and cant be heard under 40cm...

---

i know what you guys mean about the speakers. i checked them and they are all grounded and do not touch metal with metal, etc etc..
Its only when the GPU is used.. And Coil whine is still present when i unpluged my sound system completly. (also in Hardware Manager disabled)..

I have another GTX980 here, but i need an 6 to 8 pin adapter first before i can Test this Card also..
If it does not have coil whine im gonna keep the GTX980 instead of teh GTX970 STRIX (wich from looking on the Webz, coil whine is kinda common, teh whoel 9series from what i was reading).

@clsid

Quote:
Maybe madshi could add an option to adjust the queue refill strategy. That could perhaps reduce these kind of side-effects. The queue doesn't strictly need to be nearly full all the time. With a queue of size 8, refill will now happen when it drops to 7. Instead you could wait until it drops to 6 or even 4.
That sounds interessting, is there a way i can test this here? Is that whats causing those "loads" on teh GPU?
I allways thought that the NGU scaler would be one thing that is causing it, and shure enough, when i tested it, NGU did make more noise then Jinc, superXBR did.. So i also settled for SuperXBR for the moment and do not quadruple anymore, since this also caused more noise..

---
But yes, in teh End it looks like thats just the way it is and how a coil/ capacitor/ chock/ resistor/ inductor, etc etc. work...
What i found out, at least for my GPU, is that lowering teh GPU RAM Speed did really help.. So i edited my GPU BIOS a bit, i do not need an OCed Card, so no Biggy for me..

Thanks for all teh Answers here, some good information.....

Best Regards

Last edited by BetA13; 31st May 2020 at 22:25.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 02:43   #59655  |  Link
wasper

Color space metadata

Hello,

My display (Sony) calibration was set do "disabled display calibration". When looking HDR content with MADVR the display (Auto detect settings) correctly switched to Bt.2020 and HDR.

But, I recently watched a video that is Bt.2020 non HDR. The Tv Color Space stayed at BT.709. I never noticed that my tv color space didn't switch automatically to the correct color space as 99% of my content is Bt.709. Is it normal that Madvr doesn't sent color space metadata unless HDR. Had to change my calibration to "diaplay is calibrated to BT.709". Doing so, MADVR translate the color space from BT.2020 to BT.709 loosing precious colors during the process but at least the display show accurate color.

Could switch the tv manually to BT.2020 but nobody wants to do that, right?
wasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 14:06   #59656  |  Link
Asmodian

SDR does not have metadata, so there is nothing for madVR to send. You can keep your display in DCI-P3 and set madVR so it coverts BT.709.
Old 2nd June 2020, 11:56   #59657  |  Link
alexantr

Who know anything about future of madvr? Will tonemapping be fixed in future? I can't uncheck "compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy" to activate two disabled options in "hdr" section. With unchecked "compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy" picture is reddish and unrealistic (I can not imagine who like it).

What I mean:
https://imgur.com/a/dMvYNJI
https://imgur.com/a/3gUvLj0
alexantr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:31   #59658  |  Link
wasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
SDR does not have metadata, so there is nothing for madVR to send. You can keep your display in DCI-P3 and set madVR so it coverts BT.709.
Thank you. I suppose then that when watching tv sd content the tv will switch to smtpe according to resolution. Isn't important, just trying to figure out...

Last edited by wasper; 2nd June 2020 at 12:37.
wasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 15:37   #59659  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexantr View Post
Who know anything about future of madvr? Will tonemapping be fixed in future? I can't uncheck "compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy" to activate two disabled options in "hdr" section. With unchecked "compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy" picture is reddish and unrealistic (I can not imagine who like it).
Yeah, that's the problem of using ICtCp the way it's done, but checking "Compromise in ..." causes other problems that are more evident. Actually I do think this can be fixed, in fact I've been using my own solution for tone mapping for some time now, if you could post the raw BT.2020 screenshot I'd like to check the result. EDIT: Forget it, it would be SDR.

And yes, I think most people would choose the second one.

Last edited by Alexkral; 2nd June 2020 at 18:04.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:26   #59660  |  Link
Alexkral

Well, this is my result for the second:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Ob...ew?usp=sharing
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling