Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th March 2009, 15:04   #1  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

uncropMKV - get your video files to AVCHD/BD compliant resolution/level/ref frames

Some time ago I created a small tool to make mkv files compliant with 720x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080 AVCHD/BD requirements. I also use it when I'm stuck with mkv videos with too high frame reference count (x264 ref) or level higher than 4.1.

I first posted this in multiAVCHD thread, but I'd like to keep it separated. It's major function is to re-crop your input file, allowing you to change it before encoding.

uncropMKV will try to make your VIDEO compliant to AVCHD/BD standards, but not the audio. Please check AVCHD/BluRay standards before complaining about anything.

Download (7z self-extractable exe):
----------------------------------------
Full download: uncropMKV

If you already have multiAVCHD you can download the .exe only and put it in your multiAVCHD folder. Make sure you have the latest full version and check if you have mkvmerge.exe in your tools folder. .EXE ONLY is suitable for multiAVCHD users who downloaded the FULL MULTIAVCHD package after 26-03-2009.

You'll also have to have:
* AviSynth installed and
* DirectShow decoder (ffdshow - direct link)
* DirectShow splitter (Haali).

To start processing you need to add at least one file to the queue. (load file/change options/click queue button/click start button).

uncropMKV allows you to do:

* various resizing and uncropping and pre-cropping
* framerate change, frame reference count change, bframes setting
* sharpen/blur, h.264 level change, etc...
* select/deselect streams that will be used/removed in the final -uncropped.mkv.

* Max value for ref. frames is automatically calculated according to output resolution. You can safely use the largest number.
* Uncropped resolution is automatically calculated and selected
* Bitrate is automatically set to the original bitrate from your input file
* The program works in 16:9 aspect ratio mode and uses square pixel (SAR 1:1), but...
* Predefined re-size options allow creating anamorphic videos, for original videos with widths of 1920, 1440 or 1280 pixels.
* Be advised that your final video will have the resolution set in uncrop dropdown box UNLESS resize and uncrop are in conflict.
*** For example if the resize box shows 1920x1088 - uncrop will show 1920x1080 but your video will still be 1920x1088.
*** You need to use CROP T/B to cut 4 pixels from both sides to make it 1088-4-4=1080 (1920x1080) and use the last items in resize box with fixed 1920x1080 sizes. It is a rare case for such thing to happen, but still it is good to be known.

For example:

Input video: 1920x816
Resize option: 720x364
Uncropping to: 720x480 (4:3 AR)

and you'll get anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio with really nice quality.
I just tested it on my Playstation3 after running the mkv
through multiAVCHD to get it to AVCHD/BD structure.

The program won't demux the streams from the original file, but will only use the video (directshow) and those you decided to keep on the fly.
Your output folder will contain the new movie-uncropped.mkv + movie.264. You can delete the latest if you don't need it for further processing.

You can also use it:
* ...to create overscan or/and
* ...with videos which don't need re-cropping, but only change of Level/Bitrate/RefFrames.
* ...with popBD or multiAVCHD to create AVCHD or Bluray Discs

If you like the application, support the author.

Dean Kasabow

Last edited by deank; 3rd June 2009 at 21:14.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avchd, bdmv, compliant, mkv, multiavchd