Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 21st October 2008, 10:47   #1  |  Link
MatzeXXX

ffdshow MJPEG in Premiere and After Effects?

Hello!

I was reading posts here and in many other places, but couldn't really find much help with this. So maybe somebody here has some advice - that would be great!

I have tons of material in DV-AVI format, which I don't really wanna delete, but I wanna reduce its file size. A quality loss of some degree is okay.

I settled on ffdshow MJPEG, because it looks alright (quality setting with 85%), and is quite fast during rendering.

Problem is i can't open it in Premiere and After Effects. The sound is there, but the video is black. I think I did all the neccessary settings in ffdshow VfW configuration and Video decoding configuration, but it just doesn't work.

Any clue on how to get it to work? I really don't wanna use PicVideo or any other MJPEG codec, since ffdshow looks way better in my opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Matthias
MatzeXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 12:16   #2  |  Link
GrofLuigi
Member of a Library

Have you set VFW DECODING options?

It's in the upper left corner (two tabs - encoder and decoder) when you open VFW configuration. It's easy to miss, I guess.

GL
GrofLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 15:05   #3  |  Link
MatzeXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrofLuigi View Post
Have you set VFW DECODING options?

It's in the upper left corner (two tabs - encoder and decoder) when you open VFW configuration. It's easy to miss, I guess.

GL
Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

I did set the VfW decoder options to libavcodec for MJPEG, so ffdshow should be used.

I forgot to mention that I encode the MJPEG clips in VirtualDub. Just a straight DV-AVI to MJPEG-AVI conversion. Plays in MediaPlayer Classic, Windows Media Player 11...

Again, don't know what I'm missing!

Thanks

Matthias
Old 21st October 2008, 16:51   #4  |  Link
BlackSharkfr

Hi,
Adobe Premiere and FFDshow have a long story of not liking each other.

I often use FFDshow's MJPG codec in Sony Vegas without any issue.
I don't own Adobe Premiere but a few friends of mine who do have Premiere told me FFDshow still doesn't work with Premiere.

I fear there isn't much you can really do at the moment, just wait patiently until Adobe's next release ?

Maybe you should really try an other MJPG codec.
FFDshow misses the 8 lowest quantisers (quality is capped around 85~90%)
The only other one i've tried is mainconcept's and this one does work in both Vegas and Premiere.

Be careful though : MJPG codecs aren't 100% compatible between each other, mainconcept is totally unable to read FFDShow's stream, while FFDShow can read Mainconcept's... except with the wrong colourspace and slightly offset image.

So make sure you use the exact same codec for both encoding and decoding.
BlackSharkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 17:38   #5  |  Link
clsid

The DirectShow filter of ffdshow has "premiere.exe" on its blacklist. See Options -> DirectShow control. Remove it from the blacklist. Although that shouldn't make a difference for VFW.
Old 21st October 2008, 18:00   #6  |  Link
MatzeXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The DirectShow filter of ffdshow has "premiere.exe" on its blacklist. See Options -> DirectShow control. Remove it from the blacklist. Although that shouldn't make a difference for VFW.
On my System only morrowind.exe and oblivion.exe are on the blacklist. And right: it doesn't really make a difference.

It's so sad it doesn't work together, not only do I have to install something new now, I also have to compare and eventually pay for something I theoretically already have on my system with the ffdshow codec.

You know an MJPEG shoot out where I can see the quality of the compressions? Also, I heard there are field swap issues sometimes, which I wanna avoid too.

Thanks

Matthias