Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st June 2009, 11:58   #1  |  Link
juGGaKNot

psy trellis on first pass

Would psy trellis 1.0 on first pass change anything in a 2 pass encode when the second pass has psy trellis set to 0.0 ?

thnx, cheers.
juGGaKNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 17:03   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

MeGUI does disable Trellis completely for a first pass (with "Turbo" checked), which means there will be no Psy-Trellis enabled in the first pass either (no matter how "--psy-rd x:y" is set)

And you can assume that MeGUI only lowers settings in the first pass that don't have a significant effect on the second pass...
Old 21st June 2009, 19:46   #3  |  Link
juGGaKNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
MeGUI does disable Trellis completely for a first pass (with "Turbo" checked), which means there will be no Psy-Trellis enabled in the first pass either (no matter how "--psy-rd x:y" is set)

And you can assume that MeGUI only lowers settings in the first pass that don't have a significant effect on the second pass...
I had psy trellis on the first pass ( full ) and not on the second one and the result was great, just wanted to know if i had anything to do with.

thnx.
Old 21st June 2009, 20:33   #4  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juGGaKNot View Post
I had psy trellis on the first pass ( full ) and not on the second one and the result was great, just wanted to know if i had anything to do with.

thnx.
Using (Psy-)Trellis only in the first pass, but NOT in the second pass, makes absolutely no sense to me.

If at all, one would use "faster" (lower quality) setting in the first pass of a 2-Pass encode!

Psy-Trellis may not be optimal for all sources, yes. But if you decide to NOT use Psy-Trellis in the second pass, why would you use it in the first one ???

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st June 2009 at 21:03.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:16   #5  |  Link
juGGaKNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Using (Psy-)Trellis only in the first pass, but NOT in the second pass, makes absolutely no sense to me.

If at all, one would use "faster" (lower quality) setting in the first pass of a 2-Pass encode!

Psy-Trellis may not be optimal for all sources, yes. But if you decide to NOT use Psy-Trellis in the second pass, why would you use it in the first one ???
By mistake ofc, just noticed it, anyway yes for my source at 1.0 it sux hard, i will try 0.2 to see if there is any difference.

thnx again, close.