Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th October 2020, 17:45   #60341  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I recommend you set it to a custom tone curve, 2.4 relative, otuput offset 100%.Set it in the calibration tab as well as the LUT tab. use <slow>

I've come up against bugs where the white point doesn't apply unless you set the tone curve in the calibration tab.
What do you mean about the White Point issue?
I have/had the problem where WP gets lower (resulting in warmer image) than desired.
I guess I'll give it another try.

Quote:
Does anyone know if Madtpg will use 10bit mode when fullscreen / go exclusive ?
Excellent question, I'm not sure, but I guess so if it works that way in a normal window.
Old 12th October 2020, 23:12   #60342  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What do you mean about the White Point issue?
I have/had the problem where WP gets lower (resulting in warmer image) than desired.
I guess I'll give it another try.

Excellent question, I'm not sure, but I guess so if it works that way in a normal window.

For Oled, anything related to white is probably ABL .

Specific to what I was refering to is that if you don't set a custom tonecurve in the calibration tab, the 3dlut sometimes doesn't adapt to the white point selected <in the calibration tab>
Old 13th October 2020, 00:03   #60343  |  Link
huhn

madTPG uses your madVR setting if you setup 10 bit it's supposed to use 10 bit.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 00:05   #60344  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:

If you're using an ips panel, I highly recommend you do pre-testing to find the mode that matches 2.2gamma and set the rgb manual to maximize contrast. Do not use bt1886 with ips, it will look terribad. Also pre-test the contrast ratio/ white point in the various monitor modes.

The less correction madvr has to do, the better.

IPS, you'll probably want the panel at 60 to 100 nits, watched in the dark. If you push 200 nits, the floaty blacks of ips will blow out shadow detail.
All monitor's picture mode presets return the native gamma of 2.25...that's not a disaster but I'd like to have 2.2 flat for productivity work. The contrast is very good for an IPS, cca 1400:1 at 100 nits. WB is dE 0.6 peak at 10% white after white point calibration in custom mode (since all modes have the same gamma anyway).

I'll continue to play as you suggested and come back with more questions if needed.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 00:42   #60345  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madTPG uses your madVR setting if you setup 10 bit it's supposed to use 10 bit.
I believe it uses the same .ax, it doesn't have its own present logic, so works the same way naturally.

I did some testing a long time ago, when 10 bit was still pretty new, and it did seem to change to 10 bit in 10 bit mode (dithering off for testing). I didn't feel it was totally conclusive but full 10 bit throughout the chain always feels a little bit uncertain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
I thought it a good idea to have a gamma 2.2 applied system-wide via simply letting the profile loader modify the gamma curves but I will try making a specific MadVR LUT with vcgt burned-in.
I also recommend embedding the same 1DLUTs into madVR's 3DLUTs as you normally have loaded, better all around with no downsides I know of.

Last edited by Asmodian; 13th October 2020 at 00:54.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2020, 19:17   #60346  |  Link
chros

Quote:
For Oled, anything related to white is probably ABL
ABL is not an issue on Oled either (you can disbale it/them in Service Menu), especially with low nits SDR (100-150nits).
Old 15th October 2020, 16:15   #60347  |  Link
mclingo

oddly, ABL is called local dimming on my 2015 OLED, I checked it again yesterday to make sure it was off, with it on I would get constant full page dimming in web pages, nothing in movies though.
Old 18th October 2020, 02:02   #60348  |  Link
Andy o

So I was surprised to learn that mpv has been supporting G-Sync for quite a while now. I installed it and sure enough, it works on my 65C9. It seamlessly switches refresh rate without blanking the screen, basically what HDMI 2.1's QMS is supposed to do. There's even an old post (from 2017!) at blurbusters saying it works with VFR video. Has there been anything on madVR supporting it since VRR got more mainstream with the newer TVs? I can't find anything about it, but I remember years old posts asking for it and madshi (IIRC) saying it wasn't feasible at the time.

Last edited by Andy o; 18th October 2020 at 02:05.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 10:23   #60349  |  Link
ND2560

Can someone help me with potplayer&madvr. When I watch movies with HDR the picture looks too dark somehow. Like not by much.
Like for example I watched a Batman Returns 4k scene on youtube with HDR on(in windows settings) and it looked brighter than my file on potplayer&madvr. Like on youtube you could see the texture on batman cape and sharp detailed hair on Michael Keaton but on my player it has big dark tones where these details should be.
With the potplayer control panel I can't adjust the video settings like birightness, contrast, etc. It doesn't affect the picture with madvr active.
Is there somewhere a setting on the madvr settings/or potplayer settings where I can bright the picture up? And by how much?

Thank you!
ND2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 14:27   #60350  |  Link
el Filou

@Andy o that's fantastic news, and I hope that's the future of media playback on any platform including the PC. This is also the ideal way of finally getting rid of dropped/repeated frames in any scenario and with any config.
I am very interested in that feature but haven't seen any news either on that front in madVR since the last time madshi talked about G-Sync.
I hope with VRR becoming mainstream the Envy will adopt it too and we will be able to test that in madVR. Ideally at one point there should be a standard API in Windows that any foreground app can use to dynamically and seamlessly match the display refresh to its content and we can run VRR all the time.
Old 20th October 2020, 15:20   #60351  |  Link
toniash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND2560 View Post
Can someone help me with potplayer&madvr.
Is there somewhere a setting on the madvr settings/or potplayer settings where I can bright the picture up? And by how much?

Thank you!
In potplayer F5 -> Video -> ColorSpaces -> In colourControls you can adjust brightness and contrast, etc., also with shortcuts Q W E (reset Down Up)
toniash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 16:16   #60352  |  Link
ND2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniash View Post
In potplayer F5 -> Video -> ColorSpaces -> In colourControls you can adjust brightness and contrast, etc., also with shortcuts Q W E (reset Down Up)
Hey thanks for the reply!

So these settings only change the picture of video/files without hdr. For files with hdr I could turn up the brightness and nothing happens. Even in the madvr settings in 'color&gamma can put brightness on 100 and nothing happens to the hdr picture.

It's interesting. I put my 4k bluray of Blade Runner 2049 in my XboxOne and paused in one of the city light scenes while playing a 4k file of the same movie/same scene in potplayer with madvr. I wanted to see if there are significant differences. And there were none.
I'm still learning about HDR and my Optoma projector. Maybe I have to play with the projector settings but I find it strange that the settings on potplayer/madvr won't affect the hdr on the player itself.
ND2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 18:48   #60353  |  Link
clsid

You can adjust HDR brightness this way:
madvr settings > devices > hdr > tone map hdr using pixel shaders > target peak nits

Lower values gives brighter image.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 20:07   #60354  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You can adjust HDR brightness this way:
madvr settings > devices > hdr > tone map hdr using pixel shaders > target peak nits

Lower values gives brighter image.
Which is the exact number to put there?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2020, 20:45   #60355  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
So I was surprised to learn that mpv has been supporting G-Sync for quite a while now. I installed it and sure enough, it works on my 65C9. It seamlessly switches refresh rate without blanking the screen, basically what HDMI 2.1's QMS is supposed to do. There's even an old post (from 2017!) at blurbusters saying it works with VFR video.
That is very cool. I do wish madVR had support for VFR & VRR, that is how it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Has there been anything on madVR supporting it since VRR got more mainstream with the newer TVs? I can't find anything about it, but I remember years old posts asking for it and madshi (IIRC) saying it wasn't feasible at the time.
No news from madshi and the technical issues have not changed. madshi wants to be able to send a frame to the OS with a timestamp, knowing exactly when it will be presented. As it is now the OS/GPU will send a frame to the display as soon as it gets it when using VRR. This means madshi would need to control the present timing in user mode software, which is much less precise than the V-sync intervals madVR frames are presented at today.

I think the level of precision madVR could achieve would still be a great experiance but it is a lot of work to develop and test. Has anyone analyzed MPV's output? No apparent frame timing issues?
Old 21st October 2020, 00:44   #60356  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Which is the exact number to put there?
What is your tv? Do you watch SDR at 100 nits or higher?
Old 21st October 2020, 05:54   #60357  |  Link
LordX2

Composition rate - 1080p vs 4k

So under DISPLAY MODES I set the value to allow the video to sync up when entering full screen.

In the box below, where it allows you to enter resolutions to switch to, I tried putting in 2160p23, and 3840x2160p23. Neither worked when trying to play a 1080p file - so I tried 1080p23 and it worked. Shows the composition rate at 23.976 even though the actual refresh rate isn't exactly that. So that is good!

Then I tried to play a 4K mkv file - and it does NOT show the composition rate at 23.976... the composition rate matches the refresh rate of the screen.

What did I do wrong? How can I get the 4k file (playing on a 4k screen) to have the 23.976 composition rate?

Is the proper line 4k23 or something like that?
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 06:03   #60358  |  Link
huhn

the correct way to use it is to add only native resolutions like this:
2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60.

the composition rate is unrelated to this the player has no way to change that it the rate the desktop runs at and it a little bit buggy in win 10.

what is the screen even can it even do 23p?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 09:42   #60359  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Has anyone analyzed MPV's output? No apparent frame timing issues?
I tried mpv and it was switching frame rates, and I didn't do any fancy analysis, but I did see a few stutters, so it's not perfect. Besides, as a player, it's not really too useful for me cause it appears to not be able to bitstream higher than legacy multichannel audio. From what I can tell it's more like a proof of concept for our purposes, but I was surprised to be just hearing about it after at least 3 years that it was reported to work. Someone at AVS Forum mentioned it just off the cuff and I went googling.
Old 21st October 2020, 11:01   #60360  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
What is your tv? Do you watch SDR at 100 nits or higher?
PC monitor AW3420WD calibrated to ~100 nits for SDR blu-rays.

Last edited by Siso; 21st October 2020 at 23:07.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling