Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th October 2019, 08:25   #23661  |  Link
chros

Take a look at the links of this post.
Old 4th November 2019, 16:20   #23662  |  Link
tiresias

Thanks Chros, that helps a lot.

One more question...

It seems that the vast majority of desktops and laptops nowadays have some form of DXVA2 hardware acceleration. But the LAV Video Decoder installation default for Hardware Acceleration is "None", so inexperienced users are stuck with software decoding from the start (unless they investigate and change the setting).

Wouldn't it be better for the installation default to be DXVA2 copy-back instead? If there was any problem it would drop back to software (none) anyway.

It just seems that basic/inexperienced users are missing out on the hardware acceleration that their PC is capable of because they are set up with software decoding from the start.

Any thoughts on this?
tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 17:03   #23663  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't believe "unexperienced" users should actually install LAV Filters themselves. They should just get MPC-HC or another player, which bundle everything they need, and players can also pre-configure it to how they see their user-base.
Old 5th November 2019, 20:13   #23664  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresias View Post
Wouldn't it be better for the installation default to be DXVA2 copy-back instead?
It is a bad idea. The "copy-back" feature is redundant for most real systems (this will only increase power consumption). And on some systems (with integrated graphics) there will be problems with the frame output speed (50/60 fps will become unattainable).
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 08:25   #23665  |  Link
huhn

just a small heads up that arm based windows notebooks/tables and such are now are now starting to show up.

one example is the surface pro x not a small product and important that it is from microsoft showing once more there commitment to arm.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 16:21   #23666  |  Link
clsid

Those Windows based ARM devices have x86 emulation, so MPC-HC and LAV Filters will work just fine. The chipset GPU supports hardware acceleration as well.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 16:36   #23667  |  Link
huhn

well yes but we talked about this before and nev was thinking about an arm build software decoding is important and the copy operation is as far as i know SIMD optimised.
the emulation is really slow. not a good video but better then nothing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0x_yx-6Rg

real world test with native x86 vs a emulated x86 is at ~11:20.
working is not always good enough...

and just to be clear not saying that this device is enough to justify an ARM build or even making it close to important but just look at the name of the processor this is mostly not the last one.

the surface 2? had a tegra too but newer devices used an intel CPU.
Old 11th November 2019, 21:47   #23668  |  Link
littleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
real world test with native x86 vs a emulated x86 is at ~11:20.
working is not always good enough...
You mean geekbench chart, which is merely GPU measure benchmark?

I am worried more about raw CPU performance. Cinebench chart is not looking promising..

Is that really possible that emualted Windows gonna win with native arm Android system and even (nonexistent anymore) WinRT? Or other linux distro?
littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 06:26   #23669  |  Link
huhn

i mean the chrome test the emulated x86 on arm is not competitive at all but edge which was native arm vs native x86 was competitive.
beware these are pretty bad controlled test but they still hint that native ARM code is much faster then emulated code.

windows 10 is native ARM or with other words it has an ARM build.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:14   #23670  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Hi Guys,

Not sure if anyone can shed any light for me?

I have some videos with a aac 5.1 sound track, if I let Lav Audio handle the playback, the sound is as flat as a pancake (tried with saneer, with all the options on and off, no difference, and tried without saneer, again no difference). However, if I remove Lav audio from the chain, the sound is deep and high, and expansive. My windows audio (HDMI) device is set to 7.1 192 khz, so windows is doing the up sampling (or whatever the term is), but no matter what settings i use if I use Lav Audio, it still sounds flat (tried with mixing, and no mixing options on etc).

Maybe I have missed something obvious? I would have thought that using non-exclusive mode, they should sound the same?

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 27th November 2019 at 13:08.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 18:31   #23671  |  Link
el Filou

What is 'saneer'?
For the most accurate audio in LAV:
- enable all output formats
- disable DRC
- disable mixing (should not be needed if you use 7.1)
When you say "if I remove Lav audio from the chain", what decoder is used in that case? If the audio renderer is the same then that other decoder is probably applying processing to the audio that makes it sound different from the accurate decoding of LAV.
Old 27th November 2019, 19:13   #23672  |  Link
huhn

https://github.com/alexmarsev/sanear
Old 28th November 2019, 08:59   #23673  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Thanks for correcting my spelling error Huhn.

@ el Filou - yep, did all that (all the obvious stuff). I can use any other service to render (ffdshow) with all options disabled/inactive, and as I said, the sound is completely different.

Maybe Nev can shed some light.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 28th November 2019 at 10:16.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2019, 13:49   #23674  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

"flat" audio is not a technical description that allows any kind of diagnosis. LAV decodes all audio as accurately as possible.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:09   #23675  |  Link
el Filou

Did you try decoding a track to a WAV using something like ffmpeg or eac3to and then playing that WAV file to see if it's closer to what ffdshow or LAV outputs?
If you look on the Web for "WavDest", you can also try and get a WAV file output of both playback chains to find out what exactly is different in the sound, but you need to use GraphStudio.

LAV was mainly designed to be a simple and accurate decoder, while ffdshow is more a full-blown audio processing framework which increases the chances of 'doing something wrong' even unintentionally. If the sound is different between them, the most probable cause would be ffdshow modifying it rather than LAV not decoding it correctly.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:28   #23676  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Ok thanks both.
Old 28th November 2019, 19:04   #23677  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The most likely case is that your AAC audio file decodes to a different channel layout then you might expect, since LAV actually tries to obey the layout information in the file, while older decoders like ffdshow just ignored such info and put it in a generic 5.1. That may be a case of a badly encoded audio stream, or just needing some tweaking in the audio renderer configuration to map it to the speakers you actually have.

Without a file at hand or some info I can actually go on (like maybe the output pin info of both LAV Audio and another decoder), its impossible to say anything else however.
Old 29th November 2019, 08:53   #23678  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

ok thanks Nev, will do a bit more digging.
Old 13th December 2019, 00:41   #23679  |  Link
zerowalker

If a an mkv file have seeking issues (it seeks but it acts like an flv file and has to go through the entire file).
Is that the LAV Splitter that's the "problem", or is it the video decoder?
(I am using LAV obviously).

I basically have this issue with certain produced mkv files,
but VLC if i recall doesn't, so while the files might be odd, or perhaps wrong in some way, it can at least be handled.

And i would like to know what the problem is, and hopefully have it solved if possible.

But i need to know what handles the seeking first, and then perhaps give some sample (this might be hard though if you want to see it being slow, as then the file has to be very big, but if it's just a sample that has the issue and you can look at it's data somehow, that's easy enough).

Thanks!
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2019, 09:11   #23680  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Try to remultiplex the file to a new MKV with MKVToolnix or ffmpeg; if the problem persists, it's more probably the content for this file.

Anyway, different media players may use differently robust techniques (one may fail in case of issues where another may be able to skip). If you use LAV Filters with a generic media player, the DirectShow API may be the culprit; MPC-HC (and probably MPC-BE too) uses LAV Filters with another native API. And VLC uses the same core libraries but with an own "playback engine".

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter