Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 6th July 2020, 18:02   #21  |  Link
loninapleton

Back briefly. I have not lost interest but may have lost my _place_ in all this.

Yeah, the color stuff is beside the point but I see how it could
be in the code at the website editor.
loninapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 21:43   #22  |  Link
loninapleton

Did I mention this would be a rote process?
Idefinitely did.

Step one today: I found the 20.03 MediaInfo CLI, and unzipped the content to it's folder. Running the CLI just winked in and out so I know there's more to do.

Where is the CLI folder properly installed? I download things to the desktop. Mention was made of the BIN folder but I hardly
know where that would be.

Down the line we can get to installing batch files.
Old 6th July 2020, 23:10   #23  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

C:\BIN\ is a folder I created and where I imprison some tools, and is also in my system environment PATH, you can put yours wherever you like but must edit the Bat file accordingly.
Read the instructions in Bat file, that was the intention of writing them.
If still in doubt, read the thread linked in Bat post, ie :- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...19#post1908619
I had to spell everything out 3 or 4 times in that thread too.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 22:41   #24  |  Link
loninapleton

I have made the \BIN\ file.
I have captured the .bat file to notepad and it runs.

Reading old style DOS is very hard for me. What needs to be modified in the unique .bat file for
the movie called myfirstrecode.mkv

If it deposits a .txt file in \BIN (I don't know if I even understand that right) how do I
get the .txt back up into Win7.

I did try to use the application files back in post #1 or wherever it was but I failed
to get a result or deal with the minimal screen info.

Now for the prize question: Why no Drag and Drop for MediaInfo Basic (the initial screen)? The Drag and Drop program would have some check boxes mirroring the MediaInfo fields where you can select the ones you want and print out a simple text file.

I must be dreaming.
Old 8th July 2020, 01:59   #25  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Below starting with REM is an instruction or COMMENT.
Quote:
REM Where to Find MediaInfo CLI version, eg "C:\Portable\MediaInfo\MediaInfo.exe"
set MEDIAINFO="C:\BIN\MediaInfo.exe"
Quote:
I have made the \BIN\ file.
If that is "C:\BIN" then is as required by default and is where to place your MediaInfo.exe (CMD line version).

Quote:
REM Where to Find Inform.txt template, eg "C:\Portable\MediaInfo\loninapleton.txt"
set INFORM="C:\BIN\Inform.txt"
Place file supplied by Tebasuna51 (ie loninapleton.txt, but renamed to Inform.txt") in C:\BIN\Inform.txt, just as it says.

Quote:
REM Where to get INPUT files, No terminating Backslash, "." = current directory (ie same dir as .Bat or .Cmd file)
set INDIR="."
Create some directory for the bat and movie files, anywhere you like, eg
Code:
C:\MY_MEDIAINFO_STUFF
Put your bat file there, and also your movie files. set INDIR="." will find movie files in same directory as the bat file.

Quote:
REM Where to place OUTPUT files (MUST exist), No terminating Backslash. "." would be same as .bat file, ".\OUT" = OUT folder in same directory as bat file.
set OUTDIR=".\OUTPUT"
Create OUTPUT directory inside your chosen bat file directory eg
Code:
C:\MY_MEDIAINFO_STUFF\OUTPUT
MediaInfo result text files will be written there.

Thats it (I must be real bad at writing instructions).

So, ensure MediaInfo.Exe (CMD Line VER$) and Inform.txt both in C:\BIN\
Create some directory for bat and media files, also create OUTPUT in same directory as bat file.
Copy movie files into same dir as bat file.
click bat file.
sorted.

See MediaInfo documentation for format of Inform.txt, this determines how MediaInfo output will look, thats your problem.

Drag & drop, no idea if possible, I dont use it that much. [EDIT: Not sure if I've ever used drag n drop]

EDIT
Quote:
REM Below, can add INPUT extensions as eg *.WEBM (SPACE separated, Batch Processes all INPUT type files in INDIR)
FOR %%A IN (*.AVI *.MKV *.MP4 *.MOV *.QT *.3GP *.DVB *.VOB *.MPG *.MPEG *M2P *.PS *.TS *.DIVX *.XVID *.FLV *.WMV *.ASF *.MXF) DO (
Above in blue are the file extension of movie types that it will batch process all at once. Can remove those you dont use, or add others (so long as MediaInfo supports extension).
Extensions should be as eg "*.MOV", and each SPACE separated.

EDIT:
The "." file and directory options eg ".\OUTPUT" just mean relative to the directory the bat file is in, you could just as well use eg "D:\OUTPUT" if you want to specify full path.
Also, could eg put MediaInfo in same directory as bat, and use
Code:
set MEDIAINFO=".\MediaInfo.exe"
And same for Inform.txt eg
Code:
set INFORM=".\Inform.txt"
So could if required make the whole thing relative to bat file, so can just pick up the directory containing bat + other files, and move the whole lot wherever you want to.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th July 2020 at 03:41.
Old 8th July 2020, 03:16   #26  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Here a self contained setup, can pick up the My_MediaInfo_Stuff folder and move it wherever you like.

Directory structure.
Code:
My_MediaInfo_Stuff\
    BIN\inform.txt                         # Inform Template
    BIN\mediainfo.exe                      # Cli version
    OUTPUT\                                # Where output txt files will be written
    __MEDIAINFO_To_OUTPUT.Bat              # Bat file, Leading double underscore sorts at top of file list.
    #
    # Various media files
    #
    big_buck_bunny_720p_h264.mov
    black_frames_sample3_huffy.avi
    deduptest.mp4
    dragon ball z film to blu-ray feature 1080p(2).mp4
    f117-dosbox-intro.avi
    lowbitrateanime.mkv
    sample.mp4
__MEDIAINFO_To_OUTPUT.Bat (Modified Bat file)
Code:
REM We DO NOT LIKE SPACES IN FILE NAMES (REM == REMark ie comment)
REM We DO NOT LIKE ACCENTS IN FILE NAMES.

setlocal

REM Where to Find MediaInfo CLI version, eg "C:\Portable\MediaInfo\MediaInfo.exe"
set MEDIAINFO=".\BIN\MediaInfo.exe"

REM Where to Find Inform.txt template, eg "C:\Portable\MediaInfo\loninapleton.txt"
set INFORM=".\BIN\Inform.txt"

REM Where to get INPUT files, No terminating Backslash, "." = current directory (ie same dir as .Bat or .Cmd file)
set INDIR="."

REM Where to place OUTPUT files (MUST exist), No terminating Backslash. "." would be same as .bat file, ".\OUT" = OUT folder in same directory as bat file.
set OUTDIR=".\OUTPUT"

REM Below, can add INPUT extensions as eg *.WEBM (SPACE separated, Batch Processes all INPUT type files in INDIR)
FOR %%A IN (*.AVI *.MKV *.MP4 *.MOV *.QT *.3GP *.DVB *.VOB *.MPG *.MPEG *M2P *.PS *.TS *.DIVX *.XVID *.FLV *.WMV *.ASF *.MXF) DO (

%MEDIAINFO%  --Inform="file://%INFORM%"  "%INDIR%\%%A"    >"%OUTDIR%\%%~nxA.txt"

)
Pause
EDIT: Actually coped just fine with "dragon ball z film to blu-ray feature 1080p(2).mp4", ie SPACE's in filename, perhaps it is just ffmpeg
that has probs with SPACE in filenames.

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th July 2020 at 03:40.
Old 8th July 2020, 19:22   #27  |  Link
loninapleton

You are the code king.

I think I'm figuring out what I'm doing wrong and have been missing: The batch file acts on a .txt input file which you called loninapleton-- not a media file .mkv. which would go into MediaInfo.

With this insight I can perhaps do some copy and replace. And I'll look at the new help you've added.

I still think a drag and drop solution is a good idea. I must be dreaming.
Old 8th July 2020, 20:52   #28  |  Link
loninapleton

I have begun putting things in a folder-- CLI program folder - where edits are easier to manage than the desktop. I'm doing this line by line so it's really slow. But I enjoy doing it for a limited time then come back to it. If you want to continue at my snail's pace ok.

From the two samples you've shown, it looks like I'll have to enter a series of field information lines for each of the pieces of MediaInfo. In other words your slimmed down MediaInfo on Buck Bunny.

That's ok, I'm fairly patient at data entry. I just get frustrated with DOS error messages.

But try not to introduce too many of other things even as you're trying to help. We can build this thing-- though it's like re-inventing some wheel from an earlier time.

I am editing the batch file as a .txt in Notepad. I know of no good way to edit the .bat itself. Perhaps in Notepad++. But there's this multicolored mess when I open it in Notepad++. I have to figure out how to turn off the colors and make it legible.
Old 8th July 2020, 21:37   #29  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
The batch file acts on a .txt input file which you called loninapleton-- not a media file .mkv
loninapleton.txt [Or as I renamed it Inform.txt] is a MediaInfo template file, see MediaInfo docs,
it instructs MediaInfo.Exe what items to output into the result txt file and how to format them.
(nothing really to do with the batch file, other than to provide it to MediaInfo.Exe).

Quote:
From the two samples you've shown ...
The batch file actually output 8 txt data files for a single run of bat file, I only showed two of them [formatted as per Tebasuna51 loninapleton.txt template file].

It may well be that the GUI version MediaInfo does drag n drop, I have no idea, I dont use drag n drop.

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th July 2020 at 21:41.
Old 9th July 2020, 18:47   #30  |  Link
loninapleton

I will catch up with what you have added. But just now I have put everything in the program folder at C:\Program Files\MediaInfoCLI and
trimmed off all the underscores and such from the program download. The other thing I do slowly is type and not touch type at all. I added a couple REMs to just say what the batch and text files are called.

Looks like I will not need the \BIN\ if all is stored in the program directory.
So where I see that, I have to change it yet.

The only way I can get this going is to have you proof it like any teacher. When I think I've done all I can, I'll post it here.
Old 22nd July 2020, 20:19   #31  |  Link
loninapleton

I don't know if I'll ever get the code since I don't understand the lingo. Just too slow at it.

While gone I saw that there is a quick workaround for my meager needs: Load File MKV or other > Media Info > View > Text > Rt click >Select All > Copy to Notepad and edit what lines I want to keep.