Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2015, 17:40   #33401  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
2) Does "crop black bars" have any side effects? Should it be always ticked?
It can crop away hard-coded subtitles inside the black bars or TV station logos or stuff like that.
Old 6th October 2015, 17:56   #33402  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
madshi can you share your future plans for madVR?
He said several times he does not want to speak about his plans.
I though you followed madVR development for many years...
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 18:14   #33403  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
He said several times he does not want to speak about his plans.
I though you followed madVR development for many years...
Ah yes, thanks for reminding me.
I'm so eager for the next thing that I forget all about patience, sorry about that madshi.

Move along.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:14   #33404  |  Link
Razoola

It seems madVR is causing MPC-hc to crash if NVidia 3D vision is enabled when going into fullscreen? If I set MPC-HC to use EVR then it does not crash. Is there any way I can make a meaning full log for you to track this one given madvr does not seem to crash?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 20:38   #33405  |  Link
dimitrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by galneon View Post
Has anyone else experienced an MPC-HC crash on every exit for the last several minor versions of madVR? Only way to close the crash reporter window is killing the process in task manager. Windows 7 64-bit, 32-bit MPC-HC/madVR, GTX 970. I can give more details if there isn't a known crash that behaves in this way. I haven't experimented with settings lately to find if there's a particular cause because I've assumed the crash would go away after the next update, but many updates later I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a known issue.

I've had a similar problem with MPCHC hanging on every exit but the crash reporter window doesn't come up.

I fixed it by cleaning out all codecs and reinstalling, upon which time I switched to the x64 version of MPCHC.

Unfortunately I had to redo all the settings but there was no way around it.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 3700x, 16GB DDR4, 1TB NVME SSD, Asus x570 Tuf Gaming, Nvidia RTX 2060.
dimitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 01:30   #33406  |  Link
YGPMOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This is probably a GPU driver issue, maybe in combination with D3D9. You could try if D3D11 improves the situation. Or try enabling the madVR display mode switcher and entering those refresh rates you want madVR to use. Then madVR will try its best to force Direct3D to use the correct refresh rates.
The D3D11, the madvr display mode switcher and the MPC-HC fullscreen changer (and the various combination between them) didn't fix the problem. Now I'm trying a clean install after a format and I'll let you know.

The new built fixed the subtitle positioning: thanks for your continuous and generous work!!!
Old 7th October 2015, 12:35   #33407  |  Link
Weirdo

Hope you can find the time to add support for the MP4 rotation flag.
Old 7th October 2015, 22:05   #33408  |  Link
lanzorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdelsol View Post
Yes you can. Here is a movie player written in Python that uses madVR's COM interfaces.

There's a catch though. You won't be able to access a madVR object that has been created in another process, directly controlling madVR in MPC-HC from an external Python script for instance.
I've tried... to no avail, and ended up writing a whole player
I guess it might be possible with some weird dll injection.
Oh that's awesome but a little bit complicated for what I want to do.
Could you share python code sample for enabling smooth motion?
That would help me a lot.
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 22:14   #33409  |  Link
JarrettH

Hi madshi or anyone, I have a video without black bars where the movie resolution is 960x720 and the target rectangle is 1280x720 (viewing in window)

In a window, it shows chroma > super-xbr and luma > jinc...does this mean the video is already being upscaled? I don't understand why it doesn't just show a 960x720 window.

In full screen it shows chroma > super-xbr, image x > super-xbr and image y > super-xbr

madvr 0.88.21

Last edited by JarrettH; 7th October 2015 at 22:21.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 22:17   #33410  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Hey madshi or anyone, I have a video without black bars where the movie resolution is 960x720 and the target rectangle is 1280x720 (viewing in window)

In a window, it shows chroma > super-xbr (normal) and luma > jinc...does this mean the video is already being upscaled? I don't understand why it doesn't just show a 960x720 window
Sounds like it needs aspect ratio correction to 16:9 (ie. 960x720 -> 1280x720), which uses scaling, of course.
Old 8th October 2015, 01:47   #33411  |  Link
YGPMOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
Now I'm trying a clean install after a format and I'll let you know.
The switching issue is gone!!! After a clean installation of Windows 10, madVR it's rock solid again even in Fullscreen Exclusive Mode.

So, I can suggest to people that comes from others O.S. (like me from Seven) to format and reinstall, because many issues seems to be related to the upgrade procedure.

Thanks again and sorry for submitting a non-related issue.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:04   #33412  |  Link
sebdelsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzorg View Post
Oh that's awesome but a little bit complicated for what I want to do.
Could you share python code sample for enabling smooth motion?
That would help me a lot.
As far as I know, you can only access a madVR object that you've created in your process.
So you can't enable smooth motion without having the whole filterGraph (=player) running in your own program, hence the complicated part.
Maybe there's a way to do it from an external process, we should ask madshi about that

EDIT: You might use madVR's keyboard shortcuts instead of trying to access madVR COM interface.
Your script would send keystrokes to the madVR window to toggle smooth motion for instance.
I don't have any code sample for that though but I guess it's simple enough.

EDIT2 : Here is a quick and dirty Python script to toggle madVR debug OSD (ctrl+J) - you could use any other shorcut.
You'll need to find your player window's handle first, which is quite easy.

EDIT3 : Oh there's another solution: You could use the SetSettings command of the madVR netProtocol.
I've never tried that, but it should work too. See net-protocol.txt in your madVR folder.

Last edited by sebdelsol; 8th October 2015 at 12:55.
sebdelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 09:28   #33413  |  Link
lanzorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdelsol View Post
As far as I know, you can only access a madVR object that you've created in your process.
So you can't enable smooth motion without having the whole filterGraph (=player) running in your own program, hence the complicated part.
Maybe there's a way to do it from an external process, we should ask madshi about that

EDIT: You might use madVR's keyboard shortcuts instead of trying to access madVR COM interface.
Your script would send keystrokes to the madVR window to toggle smooth motion for instance.
I don't have any code sample for that though but I guess it's simple enough.
OK, I have done what I wanted using settings.bin backup files to make "presets" and UIAutomation to configure display options.

Thanks for the explications, I was completely wrong.
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 12:19   #33414  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzorg View Post
OK, I have done what I wanted using settings.bin backup files to make "presets" and UIAutomation to configure display options.

Thanks for the explications, I was completely wrong.
This is my solution which relies on keyboard shortcuts and MPC-HC : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...91#post1735591
(You can trigger smoothmotion via keyboard shortcut.)
Old 8th October 2015, 13:06   #33415  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

89.6 sometimes makes snapping image failed as the attached image.
MsgBox means "GetDIB failed" in English.
Attached Images

nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 17:58   #33416  |  Link
Patrik G

Question:
Does all these picture enhancements like chroma upscaling/error diffusion/image doubling raise the transfer rate through the HDMI cables?
is more data sent with this on compared to a regular blu ray player that doesnt have these features ?
Patrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:11   #33417  |  Link
huhn

there is no general answer to this.

it depends alot on settings.

Pc can output 8-12 bit RGB/YCbCr and a bd player too. if a bd player doesn't upscale it self than madVR with upscaling is kind of sending more data.

edit: the things you listed aren't really picture enchantment they are necessary steps that needs to be done at some point if scaling is needed.

Last edited by huhn; 8th October 2015 at 18:14.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:27   #33418  |  Link
Patrik G

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there is no general answer to this.
it depends alot on settings.
i also run a 3D LUT file with madvr
dont know it that also pushes up the transfer rate?

why i asked was mainly because i could see an improvement when switching from a cheap noname HDMI cable to a 3m Supra cable to my PC.
the improvement was higher sharpness mostly visible around peoples edges.
the added sharpness was also there in motion.
movies with a alot of grain before look more clean now with less or no grain.

if i go from the above the cheaper hdmi cable was not able to transfer all of the data to the reciever.
if it would i shouldnt see any improvement right.

i also read that the Pioneer BDP LX58 blu ray player that i owned before was "pushing" the limits of what hdmi is capable off.
dont know what they mean by that.
if its transferspeeds or data sent that is maxed out.
that blu ray player also has some upscaling features on but its not close to the performance you get from madvr.

Last edited by Patrik G; 8th October 2015 at 18:35.
Old 8th October 2015, 19:02   #33419  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
i also run a 3D LUT file with madvr
dont know it that also pushes up the transfer rate?
Only higher resolution, higher bit-depth, or higher frame rate increase the bandwidth required (assuming using the same color space). Nothing else changes the bandwidth. No setting in madVR will increase the bandwidth required over HDMI.

10-bit output would but the bit-depth actually sent to the TV is set in the GPU's drivers, not madVR.

Oh, madVR's display mode changer could change the bandwidth required, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik G View Post
why i asked was mainly because i could see an improvement when switching from a cheap noname HDMI cable to a 3m Supra cable to my PC.
the improvement was higher sharpness mostly visible around peoples edges.
the added sharpness was also there in motion.
movies with a alot of grain before look more clean now with less or no grain.

if i go from the above the cheaper hdmi cable was not able to transfer all of the data to the reciever.
if it would i shouldnt see any improvement right.

i also read that the Pioneer BDP LX58 blu ray player that i owned before was "pushing" the limits of what hdmi is capable off.
dont know what they mean by that.
if its transferspeeds or data sent that is maxed out.
that blu ray player also has some upscaling features on but its not close to the performance you get from madvr.
I am sorry but I believe the better HDMI cable was a placebo effect. HDMI is digital and the image will be horribly corrupted or simply blank if any information is lost during the transfer.

It is possible to use a different color space with sub-sampled chroma (YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:2:0) which is lower bandwidth and lower quality but it will not automatically switch to this mode due to the cable's quality.

I am not sure what people were talking about with "pushing the limits of what HDMI is capable of", probably trying to sell a gold plated HDMI cable.
Old 8th October 2015, 19:16   #33420  |  Link
Patrik G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am not sure what people were talking about with "pushing the limits of what HDMI is capable of", probably trying to sell a gold plated HDMI cable.
ok thanks for the info
just as i thought but im no expert here.

it was the LX-58 blu ray player that was "pushing" the limits of hdmi.
and i asume they was speaking of the picture enhancements/scaling from the blu ray player.
but its probably marketing hype.

lets see if i can catch the sharpness improvements on the camera with the different cables.
if not there then its the famous placebo effect.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling