Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 15th July 2014, 14:28   #581  |  Link
sdancer75

E_FAIL when srt file has uppercase extention

...It me again :-)

Another issue with xy-vsfilter-3.0.0.211....

Trying to load a *.srt file that its extenstion is written with uppercase letters (ie Subtitles.SRT) using the method put_FileName it fails, returing to the caller with the E_FAIL code.

I can confirm that the same it is happening with the page properties using any graph editor like the GraphStudioNext that I am using.

Regards,
sdancer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 20:41   #582  |  Link
[ReX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdancer75 View Post
...It me again :-)

Another issue with xy-vsfilter-3.0.0.211....

Trying to load a *.srt file that its extenstion is written with uppercase letters (ie Subtitles.SRT) using the method put_FileName it fails, returing to the caller with the E_FAIL code.

I can confirm that the same it is happening with the page properties using any graph editor like the GraphStudioNext that I am using.

Regards,
It's a simple fix.
[ReX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 08:11   #583  |  Link
sdancer75

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ReX] View Post
It's a simple fix.
Thank you,

Since I didn't want to re-compile the filter, I just changed my code, to lowercase the filenames.

I just mentioned the issue to be fixed in the next release (beside the fact that I lost almost 4 hours of debugging why the heck the function returned E_FAIL).

Best Regards,
sdancer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 11:33   #584  |  Link
wanezhiling

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tb7erh
XySubFilter_3.1.0.697_x86_BETA2, default setting
madVR 0.87.10, default setting

Can not show the sub with original 100% window size.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 11:57   #585  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

You are likely experiencing madVR issue #205 which only seems to occur with mod2 video when using madVR >= 0.87.0 with certain settings. Please check the madVR setting workarounds posted in that issue (disabling optimize subtitle quality for performance, or enabling debanding), and also EVR-CP. This isn't a bug with XySubFilter itself.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 19th July 2014 at 12:08.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 14:01   #586  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Please check the madVR setting workarounds posted in that issue (disabling optimize subtitle quality for performance, or enabling debanding), and also EVR-CP.
That's it!
Thanks!
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 15:12   #587  |  Link
GCRaistlin

How do I make XySubFilter to load automatically while playing a DVD? MPC-HC 1.7.6.102, XySubFilter 3.1.0.697.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 17:36   #588  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

You could set it to 'Always Load' in settings, but it cannot be used to render subtitles directly from DVDs being played via DVD Navigator. You'll need to use LAV Video or some other DVD Video decoder if you require standard DVD playback subtitle rendering.

Though if you open the VOB files on the DVD directly, xy-VSFilter/XySubFilter should be able to display the subtitles using MPC-BE's internal MPEG-2 splitter. You must use MPC-BE, since both MPC-HC and LAV Splitter are currently broken for this purpose. LAVSplitter outputs an incorrect VOBSUB palette to VSFilter, while MPC-HC always seems to hijack internal VOBSUB subtitle pin with NullTextRenderer.
Old 20th July 2014, 18:24   #589  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
You could set it to 'Always Load' in settings, but it cannot be used to render subtitles directly from DVDs being played via DVD Navigator.
I need XySubFilter to render external subtitles while playing a DVD. It is loaded if "Always Load" is selected but works in a buggy way: subtitles are displayed at the wrong time (all is OK if the same subtitles are loaded via File | Load subtitle...) and don't recognize time jumps (if I move the time elevator to the begin of the movie subtitles are just displayed further, not from the beginning).

Quote:
You'll need to use LAV Video or some other DVD Video decoder if you require standard DVD playback subtitle rendering.
Isn't LAV Video being used to play DVDs? I believe it is. I've got its icon in the system tray while playing a DVD.

Quote:
both MPC-HC and LAV Splitter are currently broken for this purpose.
Are their authors aware of these issues?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 20th July 2014, 22:28   #590  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
I need XySubFilter to render external subtitles while playing a DVD. It is loaded if "Always Load" is selected but works in a buggy way: subtitles are displayed at the wrong time (all is OK if the same subtitles are loaded via File | Load subtitle...) and don't recognize time jumps (if I move the time elevator to the begin of the movie subtitles are just displayed further, not from the beginning).
How are you loading the subtitles into XySubFilter? 'Properties | Open...' ?

When you say 'File | Load subtitle...' are you referring to using the MPC-HC ISR with XySubFilter disabled, or MPC-BE with XySubFilter active?

Taken at face value, I'm not sure what can be done about that when the DVD has adverts and menus before the main title. You'd probably just need to shift the timings of the external subtitle to compensate for the discrepancy. Though if it doesn't work you'd expect when loading external subtitles with actual DVDs, I'd say just don't use XySubFilter for that particular use-case.

Quote:
Isn't LAV Video being used to play DVDs? I believe it is. I've got its icon in the system tray while playing a DVD.
LAV Video has a built-in subtitle renderer for DVD subtitles, but since you wanted to load external subtitles, that doesn't matter.

Quote:
Are their authors aware of these issues?
Probably not, as I only just now discovered both issues. Though if you were not attempting to load internal VOBSUB from MPEG2 VOB files, this wouldn't affect you.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 20th July 2014 at 22:33.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:56   #591  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
How are you loading the subtitles into XySubFilter? 'Properties | Open...' ?
Yes.

Quote:
When you say 'File | Load subtitle...' are you referring to using the MPC-HC ISR with XySubFilter disabled?
Yes, it's about MPC-HC ISR. Actually, it is disabled in Options ("Use the built-in subtitle renderer" is unchecked) but works this way (not only with DVDs but with media files, too).

Quote:
Taken at face value, I'm not sure what can be done about that when the DVD has adverts and menus before the main title.
The IFO with the movie I experience this issue on contains two PGCs. Maybe it's the cause.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st July 2014, 15:25   #592  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Yes, it's about MPC-HC ISR. Actually, it is disabled in Options ("Use the built-in subtitle renderer" is unchecked) but works this way (not only with DVDs but with media files, too).
That shouldn't be the case, unless you are using an old version of MPC-HC. That behavior of enabling the ISR on-the-fly when disabled in settings, with VSFilter already loaded, was removed in MPC-HC 1.7.5+ IIRC. Though I guess you are saying you had XySubFilter disabled in those instances, rather than idle.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 21st July 2014 at 15:37.
Old 21st July 2014, 16:27   #593  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:

Probably not, as I only just now discovered both issues. Though if you were not attempting to load internal VOBSUB from MPEG2 VOB files, this wouldn't affect you.
.vob files don't have any palette at all, so LAV provides a default palette, since many renderers otherwise just used to output everything in black. How can this be incorrect?

You can accept the DVD type instead of the vobsub type if you want, which doesn't include any palette at all.
Old 21st July 2014, 16:44   #594  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
That shouldn't be the case, unless you are using an old version of MPC-HC. That behavior of enabling the ISR on-the-fly when disabled in settings, with VSFilter already loaded, was removed in MPC-HC 1.7.5+ IIRC. Though I guess you are saying you had XySubFilter disabled in those instances, rather than idle.
I'm using the latest build. So is there no reason now not to clear "Use the built-in subtitle renderer" checkbox - 'cause you may use ISR anyway as well as get VSFilter-like filters working?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st July 2014, 16:47   #595  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Though I guess you are saying you had XySubFilter disabled in those instances, rather than idle.
"Disabled" means "added to External Filters list and set to Block"? No I didn't disable XySubFilter this way. It's just registered and none of its settings are changed from the default state.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st July 2014, 17:57   #596  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
.vob files don't have any palette at all, so LAV provides a default palette, since many renderers otherwise just used to output everything in black. How can this be incorrect?
Only in the sense that the default palette from LAV produces extremely strange colors with DVD subtitles which originally had a colored palette.

LAV sends a palette of:
Code:
palette: 000000,e0e0e0,808080,202020,3333fa,1111bb,fa3333,bb1111,33fa33,11bb11,fafa33,bbbb11,fa33fa,bb11bb,33fafa,11bbbb
Which results in the following with VSFilter and MPC-HC ISR on a couple DVDs I tested:

The first was originally Green Body / Black Border, while the second was originally Yellow Body / Black Border.

MPC-BE's MPEG-2 splitter appears to extract the orignal DVD palette from the IFO if present in the same directory as the VOB. LAV gaining a feature like this would probably be nice.

Though it seems the MPC-BE splitter does not function at all with xy-VSFilter when the IFO is missing. MPC-BE does send a default palette via "custom colors: on" in this case, but they don't set "palette:" which causes the header to be rejected. MPC-BE added special logic to handle this in their version of VSFilter though. We probably should patch in something similar, since "custom colors: on" being set results in "palette:" being ignored anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can accept the DVD type instead of the vobsub type if you want, which doesn't include any palette at all.
If you think this is the preferred solution, you should ask the MPC-HC devs to implement this.

Quote:
I'm using the latest build. So is there no reason now not to clear "Use the built-in subtitle renderer" checkbox - 'cause you may use ISR anyway as well as get VSFilter-like filters working?
Not exactly.
Quote:
"Disabled" means "added to External Filters list and set to Block"? No I didn't disable XySubFilter this way. It's just registered and none of its settings are changed from the default state.
By "Disabled" I only mean not active/loaded in the graph. If "use built-in subtitle renderer" is DISABLED, MPC-HC will only enable the ISR on-the-fly when VSFilter/XySubFilter is NOT Present in the graph. By default, when "Load when Needed" is set, VSFilter/XySubFilter will only be loaded into the graph when subtitles can be auto-loaded. If you set "Always Load", VSFilter/XySubFilter will always be loaded into the graph even when NO subtitles can be auto-loaded.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 21st July 2014 at 18:28.
Old 22nd July 2014, 23:41   #597  |  Link
Asmodian

Are there any known Issues with xySubFilter and 4K? I am having trouble with complex ass scripts and 4K and want to make sure there isn't a known issue before generating a bug report.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 00:59   #598  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are there any known Issues with xySubFilter and 4K? I am having trouble with complex ass scripts and 4K and want to make sure there isn't a known issue before generating a bug report.
I think it's simply a memory problem, since you mentioned that the ASS scripts are complex. I think that's also the reason that no new RC has been released yet (optimizing memory consumption for higher-resolution output), but I guess that someone else may know better about that.
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 01:09   #599  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Issues at 4K would probably include the risk of running out of memory, the default cache limit of 512MB possibly being too low to function effectively, and just general poor performance from the higher computation load of rendering objects at 4K with 8x8 supersampling.

You could try increasing the default cache MB limit, and then playing with the madVR CPU queue while monitoring the peak "Virtual Memory" usage with something like Process Explorer to ensure your media player is not coming close to the 32-bit process memory limit. Though keep in mind that the cache MB limit only controls the cache. Memory usage for scanline conversion and rasterization is automatic and cannot be controlled.

Though unless you have an extremely fast CPU, you may just be out of luck. Overall performance may just be too slow currently to handle the most intensive scripts @4K. Fansubbers nowadays are making some pretty crazy stuff with advanced frame-by-frame motion tracking, automated image to vector/clip tracing, lua scripted 3d transforms and effects, and so on, resulting in extremely complex line heavy scripts.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 23rd July 2014 at 01:13.
Old 23rd July 2014, 03:42   #600  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Issues at 4K would probably include the risk of running out of memory, the default cache limit of 512MB possibly being too low to function effectively, and just general poor performance from the higher computation load of rendering objects at 4K with 8x8 supersampling.

You could try increasing the default cache MB limit, and then playing with the madVR CPU queue while monitoring the peak "Virtual Memory" usage with something like Process Explorer to ensure your media player is not coming close to the 32-bit process memory limit. Though keep in mind that the cache MB limit only controls the cache. Memory usage for scanline conversion and rasterization is automatic and cannot be controlled.
Thanks, you are both right.

I set LargeAddressAware on zplayer.exe and changed the cache from default -1 (511) to 1024; all issues went away. Zoom Player uses ~2.3GB of memory at most.

After these changes watching Process Explorer the memory usage jumps by ~600MB when the subs are being displayed.

On an i7 3770K @ 4.6 GHz no cores are over ~50% during the subs, but it is easy to see them on the CPU graph.

Interestingly running out of memory didn't result in a crash, instead the luma stalled while the chroma kept playing leading to an odd effect. It was slow and choppy too.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote