Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 27th May 2015, 09:22   #22821  |  Link
musiclover

@JD

On the subject of converting 4:3 to 16:9. Have you ever followed up on your plan to add a mode to the presets that could do that conversion for ALTERNATE mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It works for full-backup and movie-only backup modes. But, the size of the output in ALTERNATE mode is determined by the preset. So none of the SETUP resizing settings should affect it.

What I might be able to do is add a mode to the presets that does those conversions.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 14:04   #22822  |  Link
jdobbs

I haven't, but I can. In the meantime you can add a filter to do it, and then you can just select (or create) a "NO_RESIZE" preset.
Old 27th May 2015, 15:33   #22823  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
I haven't, but I can. In the meantime you can add a filter to do it, and then you can just select (or create) a "NO_RESIZE" preset.
Sorry, but I have no idea how to do that.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 09:25   #22824  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi guys, considering you said me in request post the option to "eliminate" registers of audios and subttitles that I previously eliminate canīt be done I need to ask, if I just pass the movie to a mkv file, and I edit this file with mkvtoolnix and save it again with Bluray disc format is this right? is this the best method? Iīll loss video quality? I mean all this is for eliminate for registers because I have various bluray movies with a lot of languages that I donīt want there but the registers are there
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 16:09   #22825  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Hi guys, considering you said me in request post the option to "eliminate" registers of audios and subttitles that I previously eliminate canīt be done I need to ask, if I just pass the movie to a mkv file, and I edit this file with mkvtoolnix and save it again with Bluray disc format is this right? is this the best method? Iīll loss video quality? I mean all this is for eliminate for registers because I have various bluray movies with a lot of languages that I donīt want there but the registers are there
Unfortunately you're talking in circles -- so I'm not sure how to answer. So I'll try to guess at what you're asking.

You can remove any and all audio and subtitles you want. But if you are doing a full backup, the "references" have to stay. If you do a movie-only backup, there are no references. So if you output to an MKV, and then use the import to get it back... you are doing the exact same thing as a movie-only backup, except adding an unnecessary step to the process.

Old 28th May 2015, 20:53   #22826  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Unfortunately you're talking in circles -- so I'm not sure how to answer. So I'll try to guess at what you're asking.

You can remove any and all audio and subtitles you want. But if you are doing a full backup, the "references" have to stay. If you do a movie-only backup, there are no references. So if you output to an MKV, and then use the import to get it back... you are doing the exact same thing as a movie-only backup, except adding an unnecessary step to the process.

Thank you Jdobbs youīre so clear!! I did not know that, youīre amazing!!

I wonder how many users here like to keep the bluray menues or just doesnīt?
Old 28th May 2015, 21:11   #22827  |  Link
jdobbs

A movie-only backup doesn't keep menus.
Old 29th May 2015, 00:11   #22828  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
A movie-only backup doesn't keep menus.
Yes I know that Jdobbs I just wanted to ask to others what prefer, encoding with menu or without
Old 29th May 2015, 20:47   #22829  |  Link
Defcon0

Is there any chance, BR-RB will work with the destination path on a network drive? I have a NAS and would like to backup to it but I get path-related errors.
Defcon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 21:17   #22830  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon0 View Post
Is there any chance, BR-RB will work with the destination path on a network drive? I have a NAS and would like to backup to it but I get path-related errors.
It should work. I made some changes in the most recent version to support it better:

Code:
- Modified file access routines to be more
  robust when accessing network shares that
  have no drive letter associated with it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th May 2015 at 21:21.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 21:18   #22831  |  Link
Defcon0

Ah, cool. I will give it a try next time Big compliment for your great work!!
Defcon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 21:22   #22832  |  Link
jdobbs

Much appreciated.
Old 30th May 2015, 03:28   #22833  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Yes I know that Jdobbs I just wanted to ask to others what prefer, encoding with menu or without
For me personally, if the movie itself is much larger than a BD-25 and if there are a lot of extras, I generally just do Movie Only, and then encode the xtras separately. I don't think I EVER do Movie & Menus... If the total Blu-ray isn't TOO big, then I just do a Full Backup with everything, but usually with 'Fast Encode for Extras'

But, in all cases with Movie Only, I never include the Menus myself...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 03:35   #22834  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Yeah I did it. It was a royal pain. Because of the probability of cutting off heads, feet, or losing titles etc. due to the cropping -- I had to set a different top offset for virtually every scene. In fact I wrote some (undocumented) code in BD-RB that let's you read the offsets at different framepoints within a source. -- please don't ask...

Eventually I decided it was better to just do a slighter widening (and losing less off the top/bottom of the picture) instead of a full 16:9.
Dude... you are a SERIOUS masochist!

What I do with special 4x3 shows like that is that I just go with the 1.2x on my Telly and it just chops a bit off the top and bottom and doesn't quite fill up the sides. That sounds sort of like what you did. Heh... it seems that Videophiles ALWAYS scream if ANY information is missing on any of the 4 sides; but, for my taste personally, I'd rather have the proper AR and just lose just a LITTLE information on 2 of the sides. Depending on the source material, of course...
Old 30th May 2015, 04:52   #22835  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Dude... you are a SERIOUS masochist!

What I do with special 4x3 shows like that is that I just go with the 1.2x on my Telly and it just chops a bit off the top and bottom and doesn't quite fill up the sides. That sounds sort of like what you did. Heh... it seems that Videophiles ALWAYS scream if ANY information is missing on any of the 4 sides; but, for my taste personally, I'd rather have the proper AR and just lose just a LITTLE information on 2 of the sides. Depending on the source material, of course...
I guess I'm a little of both. I don't mind creating a backup with the missing information -- but I always keep the original 4:3 as well as an archive (even though it almost never gets watched).
Old 30th May 2015, 09:28   #22836  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I can only speak for myself.
- Backups on BD5 or BD9:
Movie only, for the simple reason that my SAMSUNG and LG players don't accept anything else (unlike my old SONY which played almost everything I threw at it).

- Backup on BD25:
I am using all options depending on the source material, with a preference for creating Quick-play menus.

- Backup for NAS, streaming to TV:
Movie only. Output to .mkv. CRF mode.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 20:02   #22837  |  Link
DoctorM

For large discs with a lot of extras I typically do a movie only BD25 and then put the extras on a BD5 with quick menus.
The BD5 needs to be post-processed with MultiAVCHD (no changes, just load and save) to become playable on my Sony BD player.

Less than 20 minutes of extras I'll usually do a full back up to a BD25.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 23:30   #22838  |  Link
Blurayhd

Hi Jdobbs, guys, thereīs some option in bd rebuilder when I encode some movie bd50 to bd25, and as you know this movie contains black bars, so is there some option to setting bd rebuilder so I can encode without that black bars? I mean, just like others applications do? I was tried some of that and the result was just great!! when the source is 1920x1080 (and not 1920x800) I can remove that black bars but I want to know if with Bd rebuilder I can do it?

Best regards!!
Old 30th May 2015, 23:59   #22839  |  Link
jdobbs

You can do it to an ALTERNATE output but it would violate the BD standard if you tried it to a blu-ray disc.
Old 31st May 2015, 03:38   #22840  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
You can do it to an ALTERNATE output but it would violate the BD standard if you tried it to a blu-ray disc.
Yes, and that is why I HATE it when I 'come across' ones like that. Encoding the black bars and keeping it IN spec for Blu-ray players really doesn't take up THAT much space. I personally think there is no real need to strip out the black bars and ruin the Blu-ray playability. Just my lowly and wretched opinion...