Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 19th June 2021, 14:43   #19161  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

I've been having a memory error from x265 since the latest update:
---------------------------
x265_x64.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FF701D6E902 referenced memory at 0x0000000000020000. The memory could not be written.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Same VM system that has been running for years with ECC memory. Did not install any windows updates in the last week or so. Only the RB update has occurred, but I'm not sure if it was this last update, or the update before that.
Hi Ryushin,

No prob's here, mate....maybe you could overwrite the x265.exe, with one from a previous build.

OR, from here (take your pick) http://msystem.waw.pl/x265/

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 19th June 2021 at 14:46.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2021, 23:20   #19162  |  Link
frencher
French Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
OK, so if it's just a simple resize, I'd be happy to do a quick test on one of my 4K movies, but I will be using CPU decoding instead, but I might try the GPU option, not that that should affect the encoding fps's.

So give be a couple of days, I WILL get back to you, either here or PM.

As for DE, there aren't any active tutorials to be found, but it's kinda straight forward, there just a couple of settings to change & enable, and you're away.

Do you have more than 1 PC ???, if not, you can still use it on 1, and it will increase speeds.
Hello Paul Dunne,
Rather here because it is possible that it also interests other people than me.
I would like to have the procedure to gain some fps because for the moment the budget for a Ryzen is not there.
I actually have 3 non-OC PCs
An Intel i7 3930k
An Intel E6700
An AMD 64 X2

3DBD's Free - v0.0.0.0005.exe Old

Programing free for all.

Last edited by frencher; 19th June 2021 at 23:22.
frencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2021, 01:47   #19163  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frencher View Post
Hello Paul Dunne,
Rather here because it is possible that it also interests other people than me.
I would like to have the procedure to gain some fps because for the moment the budget for a Ryzen is not there.
I actually have 3 non-OC PCs
An Intel i7 3930k
An Intel E6700
An AMD 64 X2
OK, so "we" have a starting point at least

So the next and most important thing is, are these on a network ??

It doesn't need to be anything special, and I don't think wireless works (I could be wrong, I've never tried it).

Can't use DE on other PC's without them being connected.

And you're correct, there's NO tutorials around, the one that Atak posted many years ago isn't available anywhere, any more, and it was pretty basic, and would now be very out dated.

It would be great for all concerned, if Atak produced another more current & detailed, setup & usage video. Hint, hint.
Old 20th June 2021, 08:44   #19164  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Ofcourse wireless works. Even old 54 Mbps (pre-N) will be more than enough for slow pcs.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2021, 09:57   #19165  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Ofcourse wireless works. Even old 54 Mbps (pre-N) will be more than enough for slow pcs.
Thanks for confirming that, like I said I've never tried it.
Old 20th June 2021, 11:31   #19166  |  Link
frencher
French Love

Quote:
OK, so "we" have a starting point at least

So the next and most important thing is, are these on a network ??

It doesn't need to be anything special, and I don't think wireless works (I could be wrong, I've never tried it).

Can't use DE on other PC's without them being connected.

And you're correct, there's NO tutorials around, the one that Atak posted many years ago isn't available anywhere, any more, and it was pretty basic, and would now be very out dated.

It would be great for all concerned, if Atak produced another more current & detailed, setup & usage video. Hint, hint.
Quote:
Yes I am using a dual 2.4 / 5 Ghz Wi-Fi network and are all connected.

I have a fairly good speed, but I intend to use a much faster Devolo 2400 CPL later.

Of course a video would be welcome, by the way I just subscribed to the Atak_Snajpera youtube channel

Programing free for all.

Last edited by frencher; 20th June 2021 at 11:45.
Old 20th June 2021, 12:07   #19167  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that, like I said I've never tried it.
It is a simple math.

Let's say you have 50 Mbps 4k@24fps movie and 3 PCs in DE mode

Each PC during encoding achieves 4 fps. This means that each PC will be downloading data from HOST PC @~8 Mbps (50Mbps/24fps*4fps). In this scenario three PCs will consume 24Mbps of wireless bandwidth. Ofcourse you have to also include encoded data which is being sent back to HOST PC so overall network usage will be higher. It all depends from bitrate used in encoded file.
Old 20th June 2021, 12:30   #19168  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
It is a simple math.

Let's say you have 50 Mbps 4k@24fps movie and 3 PCs in DE mode

Each PC during encoding achieves 4 fps. This means that each PC will be downloading data from HOST PC @~8 Mbps (50Mbps/24fps*4fps). In this scenario three PCs will consume 24Mbps of wireless bandwidth. Ofcourse you have to also include encoded data which is being sent back to HOST PC so overall network usage will be higher. It all depends from bitrate used in encoded file.
Well, that's good news for @frencher
Old 20th June 2021, 12:59   #19169  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Yes I am using a dual 2.4 / 5 Ghz Wi-Fi network and are all connected.
OK, well that's good, but I don't think you find anything relevent on that YT channel (I just had a look).

OK, well to start with you'd need RipBot on all machines.

So if you want to use all of them, you need to have one that you use as the client (where you do the encoding jobs), and the other 2 can be the server's (helpers, if you will), you just need to enable Distributed Encoding, apply the appropriate IP address.

Say your Client pc (3930K) was 192.168.1.1, and the other pc's were 192.168.1.2, and so on.

Don't forget to click APPLY once done.

Left side column, #1 & 2 are the Client's IP settings

#3 & 4 are say the 6700's IP settings

#5 & 6 are the AMD's IP settings.

And you will need to do simliar on the other PC's. (Apparently not, see Atak's comment below)

So once that's done you need to test, and have say the 6700 with RipBot open, and start a job on the 3930K, and once it opens the Encoding Client window, it will prepare the encoding, and once it starts, it should start encoding on all PC's.

That should work, it's harder to describe things sometimes, than doing them.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 20th June 2021 at 13:39. Reason: info from Atak
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2021, 13:30   #19170  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
And you will need to do simliar on the other PC's.
Only EncodingServer.exe is required on slave PCs.
Old 20th June 2021, 13:34   #19171  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Well, there's something I didn't know

Thanks for the info.......
Old 20th June 2021, 16:02   #19172  |  Link
frencher
French Love

Quote:
My E6700 OS is Windows 7 x86 no x64
And require Avisynth+ for EncodingServer.exe
It's possible to upgade Win7 Pro x86 directly to Win10 x64 ?

Programing free for all.
Old 20th June 2021, 16:05   #19173  |  Link
frencher
French Love

Quote:
OK, well that's good, but I don't think you find anything relevent on that YT channel (I just had a look).

OK, well to start with you'd need RipBot on all machines.

So if you want to use all of them, you need to have one that you use as the client (where you do the encoding jobs), and the other 2 can be the server's (helpers, if you will), you just need to enable Distributed Encoding, apply the appropriate IP address.

Say your Client pc (3930K) was 192.168.1.1, and the other pc's were 192.168.1.2, and so on.

Don't forget to click APPLY once done.

Left side column, #1 & 2 are the Client's IP settings

#3 & 4 are say the 6700's IP settings

#5 & 6 are the AMD's IP settings.

And you will need to do simliar on the other PC's. (Apparently not, see Atak's comment below)

So once that's done you need to test, and have say the 6700 with RipBot open, and start a job on the 3930K, and once it opens the Encoding Client window, it will prepare the encoding, and once it starts, it should start encoding on all PC's.

That should work, it's harder to describe things sometimes, than doing them.
Pauly Dunne

Programing free for all.
Old 20th June 2021, 16:43   #19174  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
My E6700 OS is Windows 7 x86 no x64
And require Avisynth+ for EncodingServer.exe
It's possible to upgade Win7 Pro x86 directly to Win10 x64 ?
Using old dual cores for 4k will be a waste of energy.
Athlon x2 + E6700 will give you at best extra 0.5 fps. Also keep in mind that encoding 4k footage will consume 4 times more memory than typical 1080p. I doubt that your old PCs have more than 4 GiB of RAM.
Old 20th June 2021, 19:49   #19175  |  Link
frencher
French Love

Quote:
Using old dual cores for 4k will be a waste of energy.
Athlon x2 + E6700 will give you at best extra 0.5 fps. Also keep in mind that encoding 4k footage will consume 4 times more memory than typical 1080p. I doubt that your old PCs have more than 4 GiB of RAM.
It is better for me to wait for the future CPU, I suspected a little.

Programing free for all.
Old 21st June 2021, 01:11   #19176  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
It is better for me to wait for the future CPU, I suspected a little.
Well, you could at least give it a try.

Don't forget you can use DE on 1 PC, it's just a little different with the IP address's.

Although, seeing you use a Wireless network, you may not need to change anything.

For example, I'm on a wired LAN, with 192.168.1.X's, and if I want to use just the one PC with DE, I just need to have the network switch / hub powered on.

otherwise-----

I think the IP address you'd need to use is 127.0.0.1, with the :1000 as well.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 23rd June 2021, 22:36   #19177  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

I've been having a memory error from x265 since the latest update:
x265_x64.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FF701D6E902 referenced memory at 0x0000000000020000. The memory could not be written.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Same VM system that has been running for years with ECC memory. Did not install any windows updates in the last week or so. Only the RB update has occurred, but I'm not sure if it was this last update, or the update before that.
Installed the latest Windows updates and rebooted. Memory error went away. there was probably something residual left over after RB updated. The reboot probably fixed it.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 18:30   #19178  |  Link
StormMeows

Hey guys, long time lurker here. I am planning to soon encode a lot of my blu-ray backups and want to maintain the best quality. I was originally going to do staxrip with my NVIDIA GPU but the more I researched it, I do not feel like the quality is up to my standards. Most of the GPU encoding I saw loses a lot of detail from the original bluray source. Would Ripbot be a good program to do x265 bluray backups? I want to be able to get the best possible quality as the original source and retain the lossless audio tracks on all of my encodes. If this is a great way to go, I plan on getting a better encoding PC dedicated to my encodes. Also, is there a guide anywhere that goes over what are good extra advanced settings I can use on all of my encodes? I want the encode to look similar to the orginal. I am fine with a bigger file size as well (as long as it is smaller by at least 20% of the original). I would really appreciate any guidance. Thanks guys!
StormMeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 23:40   #19179  |  Link
Ripmann

Just updated and immediately noticed that the output line is now editable. Thanks a lot, Atak. Major time saver. I don't think I'll ever be using the Save As dialog anymore.

I have a quick noob question: is there a lossy codec similar to AC3 that allows you to keep all 7.1 channels, not just 5.1? I can't afford to use uncompressed DTS or TrueHD audio and having the audio track being almost the same size (if not more) as the video track, but I'd like to keep all channels at least for some of the encodes as well. Is there a solution for this? I'm sure there must be, but I just got my first modest 7.1 system and this is the first time I have to worry about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormMeows View Post
...Would Ripbot be a good program to do x265 bluray backups? I want to be able to get the best possible quality as the original source and retain the lossless audio tracks on all of my encodes...
It definitely is. I've been using it for years and it's fantastic, there's no other word for it. I believe it was designed to be noob friendly, so you should be able to dive right in. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to optimize your encodes further and further. I highly recommend you try it.

As for the advanced settings, most of this stuff is fairly self-explanatory. It also depends on what you exactly you want and the kinds of video files you'll be processing. You may have to look up some of the terminology, but other than that, you'll probably be better off by taking a small sample file and doing several attempts to see how it looks on various settings, asking for help with specific issues, once you encounter them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ripmann; 24th June 2021 at 23:50.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 00:31   #19180  |  Link
StormMeows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
It definitely is. I've been using it for years and it's fantastic, there's no other word for it. I believe it was designed to be noob friendly, so you should be able to dive right in. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to optimize your encodes further and further. I highly recommend you try it.

As for the advanced settings, most of this stuff is fairly self-explanatory. It also depends on what you exactly you want and the kinds of video files you'll be processing. You may have to look up some of the terminology, but other than that, you'll probably be better off by taking a small sample file and doing several attempts to see how it looks on various settings, asking for help with specific issues, once you encounter them. Hope this helps.
Thank you! I am glad to hear that it is newb friendly. I am going to do research on these advanced settings. Trial and error is going to be key. When I do a sample, how do I know what scenes of movies to test? Are there certain scenes that I need to test (like dark scenes or action sequences)? Or do I just encode the first 10 minutes of a film and compare it to the original? Is there a best practice that I can use for testing the samples so I can ensure I don't waste a whole day on an encode and there is tons of pixelation or similar in the final result? Thank you!
StormMeows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360