Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 29th October 2020, 16:11   #1  |  Link
jd213

any easy way to author audio-only Blu-rays?

Have been digitizing some of my records and tapes to 24bit/96kHz wav files, and would like to burn them to BD-R for convenient playback. But doesn't seem like my PS3 or any of my Blu-ray players will play the files off of a BD-R (even when I pressed the PS3's triangle button to select all the files on the disc).

I first tried MultiAVCHD to make them into Blu-ray compliant discs, but it's rather inconvenient to use for audio-only BDs. It will at least add a blank video stream for compatibility which is nice, but it requires you to make a .cue file for each audio file, otherwise it comes up with an error and makes you enter a duration for each and every file. This would get rather tedious with a BD-R full of dozens of audio tracks (but at least it seems to work great if you take the time to make .cue files or enter the durations).

Also tried using TSmuxer to first make a .ts file and then import that into MultiAVCHD, but for some reason MultiAVCHD thought the audio was 7.1ch when it's actually 2.0, and tried to use eac3to to re-encode the audio, which I don't want.

Any other software I can try? Or any way around this MultiAVCHD audio duration limitation?

Last edited by jd213; 30th October 2020 at 05:32.
jd213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 00:40   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

You should be able to just use tsMuxeR.
Encode an .avc frame in x264, import chapter list and let Audio + Video mux to a BD folder.
Just did that without a still, just a 23min 1.0 24bit @ 96kHz audio .wav file I had laying around.
Fixed 5min chapters, playable.
BTW, if it is 2.0 audio: 2.0 24bit @96kHz just fits nicely into DVD-Video Audio-Only
Old 1st November 2020, 06:05   #3  |  Link
jd213

Thanks. Would prefer something like MultiAVCHD so I could have multiple titles and menus for easy navigation, but making one long audio file and then muxing with tsMuxer with chapters might be good enough.
jd213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 17:39   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

You still can generate menus in MultiAVCHD, have it mux with dummy files, then swap the payload .m2ts and BDEdit your way though.

But in the end to get down to the chapter marks still you got to Excel everything.
I just had to build such table myself, allowing to give a framerate, note down all chapter's names, framecounts,
crossconvert durations in all notations, SMPTE NTSC-NDF, NTSC-DF, Realtime... you name it)

I still like DVDLabPro2 abilities to generate DVD-Video Audio only.
1 nice background still per song showing song name (and what one might prefer, maybe artist's name, album art, year)
Now the same on BD, shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited by Emulgator; 1st November 2020 at 17:49.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 20:49   #5  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

I haven't used dvda-author since ages ago , but even then I knew it (apparently) supported menus... Since I was interested only in "pure" DVD-Audio which could be played by foobar2000, I never used the GUI-authoring part of the program, but if someone wants to give it a try, here is the URL:

https://dvd-audio.sourceforge.io/GUI.shtml
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2020, 23:00   #6  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Thanks for the hint, good to know-
I didn't know that development is still active.