Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd September 2015, 02:14   #32721  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranium View Post
Second question. I reached a "desired" upscaling setting that has 39-41ms rendering times on fairly high bitrate 720p -> 1080p conversions. I had read that you want to keep these a bit lower, but if I'm not getting any reports of dropped or repeated frames should it be ok? Or is there another downside I am not thinking of.
I would prefer render times to be no higher than 25 or 26ms simply because I want the option to watch 30hz video as well. The frame interval on that is about 33ms but I also like to keep a buffer room in case something pushes my GPU a bit harder than normal so that it won't jump over the frame interval. What you have is fine, however.
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 04:27   #32722  |  Link
Kranium
I'm Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a screen from the OSD could help.

that fine as it is.
I don't think I can screen shot FSE can I? It does it in windowed overlay too anyway so I took a shot of that. This is after only like 2-3 minutes of running. Maybe the few 30hz videos I have are encoded poorly. I have tried turning smooth motion off, lower upscaling settings, and since I was in there I unchecked present a frame for every vsync. Nothing changed this behavior so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
I would prefer render times to be no higher than 25 or 26ms simply because I want the option to watch 30hz video as well. The frame interval on that is about 33ms but I also like to keep a buffer room in case something pushes my GPU a bit harder than normal so that it won't jump over the frame interval. What you have is fine, however.
Thank you for the input. Maybe it's time I create some profiles for those cases you mention.

Last edited by Kranium; 3rd September 2015 at 04:31.
Kranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:29   #32723  |  Link
bcec

Apart from NNEDI3 not working with current nVidia drivers, are people happy with MadVR performance in Windows10 (or with Windows10 overall)? I am debating whether I should upgrade or not from Win7. I was a firm believer of NNEDI3, but after I recently switching to super-xbr & SuperRes, I am not looking back, so I am not worried about NNEDI3 issue.

Last edited by bcec; 3rd September 2015 at 15:57.
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:02   #32724  |  Link
optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
Apart from NNEDI3 not working with current nVidia drivers, are people happy with MadVR performance in Windows10 (or with Windows10 overall)? I am debating whether I should upgrade or not from Win7. I was a firm believer of NNEDI3, but after I recently switched to super-xbr & SuperRes I am not looking back, so I am not worried about NNEDI3 issue.
I have upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on the release day and it feels as if nothing has changed for me except the GUI. I am running AMD R9 290x so NNEDI3 is running fine. Only 'bug' I have is some of right click - context menu item on desktop does not work after switching to Microsoft account from previous local account I used to use in 8.1. MadVR and MPC-HC 1.7.9 32bit is running as usual without need to change any settings.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:19   #32725  |  Link
aufkrawall

I recently had some weird flickering in D3D11 windowed mode after opening a file. It did open it a second time and flickering was gone.
GTX 980@355.82 on Windows 10.
May be better to stick with D3D9 path.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:32   #32726  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Madshi, please keep super-xbr-25 option, which could be useful for some not well coded videos. super-xbr-25 would be sharp enough but not overly sharped.

For Chroma upscaling, shouldn't we use a less sharper algorithm? In this case, super-xbr-25 can also be useful.

Anyone ever tried with super-xbr-25 for chroma upscaling?
Yes, fully agreed. After a truckload of testing I've settled down to sxbr25+SR for both luma and chroma because SR is very sharp to begin with and as much I'd prolly use sxbr 30-35 for luma if it was possible, I still prefer a slightly too soft picture over slightly too sharp.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:13   #32727  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

ok guys, im totally confused now about the nnedi3 NV drivers?!?!?!

"Whats the last/latest driver for NVida-WINDOWS 7 that has the opencl dll stuff, so that nnedi3 works correctly.."
or is this just a windows 10 problem?

im reading this thread here over and over and cant seem to find an clear statement

THX in advance greetz
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:24   #32728  |  Link
aufkrawall

Just Windows 10 problem. Latest driver there with that extension (not dll) is 353.49.
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:48   #32729  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Thanks a lot for the quick response...
So, i can upgrade without any hassle or downgrades..

*nice*
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:38   #32730  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Well, that depends really. 353.49 was one of the first drivers for Windows 10, so it's entirely possible that there are problems with it in other areas. But if you want NNEDI3 in Windows 10 on an Nvidia card, it's the best we've got.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 23:44   #32731  |  Link
aufkrawall

353.49 is very stable for most users and e.g. doesn't have custom resolutions in Nvidia control panel broken, unlike every driver after it so far.
You may want to use 355.60 or newer if you suffer crashes in Witcher 3, but apart from this, there shouldn't be any problem with this particular "old" driver.

Well, of course it would be better if madshi implemented new interop that works with newest Nvidia drivers on Windows 10 and doesn't have copyback problem for AMD users.
Old 4th September 2015, 01:18   #32732  |  Link
huhn

there is no known error with 23p on nvidia or did i missed something huge?
i'm pretty sure my 760 was fine but my 960 is something else...

http://abload.de/img/23pdx97qkb1.png

with 10 bit it's 23.97818...
no one else have this problem right? i mean i just said some days ago that nvidia has proper 23p clocks.

maybe madVr has a proper to proper read this under windows 10?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 01:29   #32733  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

"Proper" 23p is not really a thing. It needs to match the audio clock to avoid any drift, so even if its perfect 23.976023976.. it could lead to drops because the audio clock is slightly different.
Watch a movie for an hour, look at drops, make your own decisions based on that.
Old 4th September 2015, 01:48   #32734  |  Link
huhn

i know that but 23.972 is a really big gap between the normal 23.97602 and having two different locks is totally new to me.
Old 4th September 2015, 02:07   #32735  |  Link
Asmodian

I get different clocks on different screens plugged into the same GPU, not much difference betwen the two I am using now, but I am used to seeing much larger changes than that even when not changing generations.

I am sure I have seen a similar 0.004Hz difference between GPUS of the same make. Also between different screens/DVI ports on my old Titans.
Old 4th September 2015, 06:06   #32736  |  Link
Dlget

MadVR crashing on video.
Here is crash report.
As i can remember,this video was working fine last time i checked.
Attached Files
File Type: rar madVR - crash report.rar (7.3 KB, 34 views)
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 14:35   #32737  |  Link
Dlget

i tried cutting that part of video where i got crash using this with video copy,audio copy,subtitle copy & same chapter for sharing in the forum.
Strangely no problem with that video.I copied everything.But video seems fine where as i got crash with original video.can't share original video since it's 524MB & my upload speed is not that great.

Only that part crash occur randomly.1 time it don't crash & 1 time it crash.But i noticed at that part where crash occurs strangely render queue & subtitle queue fails to fill every time.
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC

Last edited by Dlget; 4th September 2015 at 14:46.
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 19:11   #32738  |  Link
Serhiyko

Starting with madVR v0.88.17, subtitles are not hidden/shown in paused mode when I disable/enable them. I have to start playing the video for subtitles to actually hide/show. In madVR v0.88.16 and before, when I set subtitles to off/on in paused mode, they were hidden/shown immediately without me having to do anything else
I use the last version of MPC-HC, if that matters
Serhiyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 13:42   #32739  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I get different clocks on different screens plugged into the same GPU, not much difference betwen the two I am using now, but I am used to seeing much larger changes than that even when not changing generations.

I am sure I have seen a similar 0.004Hz difference between GPUS of the same make. Also between different screens/DVI ports on my old Titans.
so this is "normal" for nvidia? never saw something extrem like this with an AMD card.
Old 5th September 2015, 21:39   #32740  |  Link
Asmodian

It is normal as far as I know, it is why I stopped worrying about exact refresh rates and simply use smooth motion all the time.

As you know that is madVR's detected refresh rate, setting up a custom resolution (the drivers has a section for this) allows you to tune it to whatever you want. I used to tune to eliminate any drops after two hours but I haven't bothered now that all my displays accept 120+ Hz as smooth motion is so good.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th September 2015 at 21:41.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling