Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th September 2015, 21:16   #32961  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
Whoa.

I reinstalled Potplayer today and MadVR and my videos are appearing massively zoomed in, crashing my PC.

Is this some sort of setting in MadVR I need to disable? Both options on Zoom control are unticked and all three boxes for upscaling refinment are unticked.

+1 for potplayer crash
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 00:17   #32962  |  Link
baii

You can go back to .891, or earlier build if you don't need the zoom control features.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 08:14   #32963  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
You can go back to .891, or earlier build if you don't need the zoom control features.

Sent from my 306SH
I'm with 21:9 display and I need them
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 16:26   #32964  |  Link
bcec

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
Win 10 have nothing to do with nnedi3.
perhaps you missed where he said "with nvidia"
or perhaps you are just trolling
bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 16:34   #32965  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzorg View Post
@madshi

- Could you upgrade adaptive sharpen and super-res?
- Is it possible to make device modes like in kodi, just an on/off button?
Why not using mpdn instead? Did you try it?
The player has all you asked a while ago already.

I saw some madshi's posts on the svp project forum.
He talked about vapoursynth support, but said that he was quite busy.
Madshi, do you work on it or something else?

Please keep us informed a little bit more because anxiety is growing for some people.

Last edited by foozoor; 20th September 2015 at 16:36.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 21:10   #32966  |  Link
Sunset1982

Thank you Madshi for your had work and the new version 0.89.3!
Old 20th September 2015, 21:18   #32967  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulous View Post
I'd like to see this return also - it was handy for determining what resolution the current video was playing at (not the actual video clip resolution, but the actual resolution currently being used, taking into account the window size - I'd have to use an on-screen ruler tool to get that window size now that it has been removed from madVR).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhR0N1K View Post
i would like to see both like how it is in 88.21. so i can see the orig movie resolution and the final movie target rectangle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'd like to see the information what exact size the portrayed video by the player has.
This is very useful when resizing to a certain resolution (e.g. when you want to resize pixel exact to a size that isn't offered by the player as a template like "50%" or you want to make sure the player really resizes as it's told).
Otherwiese I might be really handicapped when doing image quality comparisons in the future.
Guys, I see this is in demand, but the new "zoom control" settings really made this complicated. E.g. if a black bar is detected and you activate "crop black bars" then madVR actually cuts the original image size down to remove the black bars. But if you don't activate "crop black bars", then the bars stay and madVR adjusts the target rect so that it goes outside the player window, so that any letter boxing is exactly zoomed away. And all the various "zoom control" settings have a lot of influence on the exact target rect.

Basically in v0.89.x the media player is not in full control over the exact target rect, anymore. Instead madVR tries to understand what the media player wants and then calculates a new target rect which is then used for actual rendering (and which the media player doesn't know anything about). madVR tries to follow the media player wishes, but taking the detected black bars and the user wishes (zoom control) into account, too.

So just writing one target rect into the OSD won't tell the whole picture. I would have to at least write the modified source rect (modified by black bar detection) and the final target rect (calculated by madVR) into the OSD, and that could be quite confusing for many users. Is that really so very useful?

For image quality comparisons you should be using 100% view, anyway, shouldn't you? If you do that, and if you disable zoom control, then the target rect should be exactly 100% of the native video size (after aspect ratio correction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
When I activate debug mode it says "cannot find madvr.ax". I have MPC-HC running and playing a video with the OSD for madVR displayed so obviously it's using madVR.ax. So I don't seem to be able to upload a debug log .
You need to double click that batch file when the media player is closed. Then it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post
Here is the log from madvr debug, not sure what to look for my self and the log was huge so I only include the first 20K lines or so.
From what I can see it seems that you don't have display mode changing activated in madVR? From what I can see, Direct3D wants to use 1920x1080 with 29.970Hz. And since madVR's display mode changer doesn't seem to be active, madVR is just fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
I've tried using touch window from outside and stretch to window but both have no effect, the osd shows touch window from inside and the black bars remain visible. I'm using the latest 64bit nightly build, zooming the bars away works but zooms in and cuts off the subtitles which of course you don't want.

Not an ideal solution but works as expected, It's not a big deal but would be handy if you could add the ability to simply crop the black bars away completely when you have time.
What happens if you active the options "if there are big black bars ... zoom the bars away completely" and "zoom small black bars away" in the madVR zoom control settings? Does that do what you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoodle View Post
I use JRiver Media Center 20 with Red October HQ mode, so madVR.

I have a weird issue with display mode changer in that it just kills the video driver (NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti) which requires a reboot to fix.
That sounds very bad. Does it happen with both "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" enabled and disabled in the madVR "rendering\general settings"? This is very likely a bug in the GPU drivers. Have you tried installing a different driver version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
I updated Seven to Windows 10 (not a clean installation but using Windows mode) and I got a strange issue using MadVR with MPC-HC and the same settings.

When the player switches to exclusive mode seems like that the resolution changes to 60 Hz form 25 because the CRT projector goes to the appropriated memory bank; if I leave the exclusive mode visualizing the menu (or the seek bar, ecc.) the CRT goes back to the 50 Hz memory back.
Do you have the madVR display mode changer active? If so, which settings are you using? If not, then Direct3D itself decides which refresh rate to use in fullscreen exclusive mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLak View Post
The feature "restore original display mode when media player leaves fullscreen" is not working for me with MPC-HC + LAV codecs (x64).
Can anybody reproduce that problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
A very small bug in madvr:

In the settings dialog, under processing, image enhancements, LumaSharpen, the value for clamp is 0.035 after a fresh install. If you push the restore defaults button on the image enhancements page, the value changes to 0.010. So either the restore defaults button should make clamp 0.035, or the fresh settings should have the value as 0.010.
Will fix that for the next build (not v0.89.3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
BTW, is it possible to include duration to profile rules?
What duration do you mean? Do you mean the movie runtime? What would you need that for in profiles?

Quote:
Also I think banding is unbalanced, low is almost no-op.
In a 10/10 scale is as if low was 2, mid was 4 or 5 and high 10, Whereas something more balanced could be 3, 6, 10.
I suggest to raise "low" one notch, and "mid" one or two notches above.
A couple months (years?) ago when I was working on debanding, many madVR users did a lot of testing and giving feedback, and the settings are based on that. "low" is intentionally very light weight, so that you can enable it without worrying much about losing image detail, while still getting "some" benefit. "high" is set to be as strong as possible, without going totally crazy. "mid" it still somewhat careful, but noticeably stronger than "low". IMHO both "low" and "mid" are settings that I could imagine turning on and leaving on at all times. Which I wouldn't do with "high". If I raise "mid", it would get so strong that I couldn't recommend keeping it on, anymore.

Considering that A LOT of feedback from many madVR users went into defining the exact low/mid/high settings, and that I like the way they are currently set up, I don't think it would be a good idea to change them now.

Quote:
Also thinking out loud here, but could it be possible to add some "software" based anti-strobing effect, I mean I see how I could use it for "cinema mode". I know some Smart TV's have the option but it is actually hidden, not very self explanatory nor very accessible for the daily use, so having it set in madVR software with rules could be a nice addition. This would involve inserting a black frame every other source frame, then the TV changing to this framerate mode (47.95FPS for films). Have I said something stupid or could this actually work?
I've had this in my mind for a long time. The problem with this is that doing that at 48Hz is far too slow, it would flicker like crazy. With 120Hz it starts becoming possible, but how many TVs are accepting 120Hz via HDMI? Some monitors do, but madVR is mostly meant for TVs and projectors. As long as those don't support high refresh rate input, I don't think black/dark frame insertion by madVR makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
edit: btw I get constant frame drops when changing from display to another, as if madVR didn't unhooked the video drivers at all. That is watch a movie on TV, close the player, switch to monitor (other resolution, color profile, etc), play a video, major frame drops... it eventually fixes after playing some videos or so but it's annoying.
This happens even if you stop the player and restart it?? In that case there really isn't anything I can do about it. Whatever madVR does should be totally reset by the OS when the media player closes. Must be a driver or OS issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Can anyone please test for video freezing after pause and unpause several times.
I will try to find in what version this appeared.

EDIT:
Okay, found it.
89.0 introduced it, 88.21 is OK.

Try pause and unpause (space bar) repeatedly and look at the Play/Pause OSD.
The OSD should stop responding, and when you pause the OSD will stay/show "Play" even though the video is paused.
Now unpause and the video will freeze.
Wait 10 seconds and pause and unpause the video, you should see the video speed up to its current position.

It happens only in Overlay Mode.
madVR sometimes shows something in RED font and disappears very quickly, I can't read it.
And you can reproduce this easily with v0.89.x but not at all with v0.88.21? Are you absolutely sure about that? In that case I'd like to see a debug log with v0.89.3 where this problem occurs. Once the video freezes, please let it stay frozen for 20 seconds, then close the media player and upload the debug log (zipped). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyCrab View Post
Any news on when the Chroma SuperRes will be updated to the newer code/algorithm?
Probably not far away now. Still some other things to do first, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serhiyko View Post
The built-in subtitle renderer
Ah yes. Newer madVR builds don't fully rerender the paused video frame all the time, to save resources. If you use the built-in subtitle renderer then madVR does not know that you changed the subtitle track, so I don't know that I need to rerender the video frame. I'm not sure if I can solve this without pushing GPU power through the roof again in paused mode. And frankly, I don't think this is important enough to make compromises with high GPU power in paused mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serhiyko View Post
Also, starting with madVR v0.88.9, when I Save Image in windowed mode, if the size of the window is smaller than the original size of the video, the size of snapshots equals the size of the resized video, not the original size. It's not the case in the fullscreen mode or any previous version of madVR
This might have to do with which decoding and scaling options you're using. Are you using DXVA decoding and/or DXVA scaling?

Quote:
- Could you upgrade adaptive sharpen and super-res?
Adaptive Sharpen next week. Not sure if there is a new (luma) SuperRes version to update to. But I did plan to work a bit on SuperRes. Might take a bit, though.

Quote:
Is it possible to make device modes like in kodi, just an on/off button?
Not sure what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNcH View Post
Problem:

Switching between 1080i and 576i channels often results in madVR totally getting stuck (picture freeze). Log attached... it happened in last switch from 1080i to 576i.

madVR - log
Hmmm... I've looked into your log, but I'm trouble finding the right place. I've checked the last switch from 1080i to 576i in the log. After the switch it takes about 1 second for the decoder to start sending new frames, and madVR displays them then just fine. At least the log seems to say so. After that there's another switch back to 1080i, and rendering still seems to work fine.

Can you retry with v0.89.3? If the problem still occurs with that build, maybe you could create a new log with v0.89.3 for me? When madVR gets stuck, let it stay in that state for 20 seconds. Then close the media player immediately without switching to another station. Maybe then I can find the right place to look at in the log better. Of course it's also possible that madVR thinks it's rendering successfully, but for some reason the rendered images aren't making it through to the display...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 21:19   #32968  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Thank you Madshi for your had work and the new version 0.89.3!
Hey, you're quick - I haven't even announced it yet!!
Old 20th September 2015, 21:30   #32969  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I've had this in my mind for a long time. The problem with this is that doing that at 48Hz is far too slow, it would flicker like crazy. With 120Hz it starts becoming possible, but how many TVs are accepting 120Hz via HDMI? Some monitors do, but madVR is mostly meant for TVs and projectors. As long as those don't support high refresh rate input, I don't think black/dark frame insertion by madVR makes a lot of sense.
i already used that on a 120 Hz screen this is not usable. the brightness drops way to low. so for proper viewing there has to be a way to counter this. i wouldn't be shocked if the whole gamma curve is not correct anymore.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 21:30   #32970  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.3 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* NNEDI3/OpenCL now uses D3D11 interop instead of D3D9 interop
* implemented most of the various missing black bar features
* added support for device profiling
* added vertical scrollbar to "profile auto select rules" edit field
* added "smoothmotion" bool value for profile rules
* fixed: sometimes video was zoomed in way too much without any reason
* fixed: black bar detection sometimes had false positives
* fixed: black bar detection sometimes unnecessarily dropped correct detection
* fixed: DXVA processing sometimes broke when stopping & starting the graph
* fixed: sub options were active even if black bar detection was off
Important things in this release:

1) NNEDI3 now uses a different interop interface, which seems to perform slightly faster for NVidia and quite noticeably faster for AMD. Also it should work with newer NVidia drivers on Windows 10. I haven't tested yet whether the interop problem is gone for AMD, but there's a good chance that it is.

On the negative side, v0.89.3 requires Windows 7 or newer for NNEDI3, so unfortunately Windows XP and Vista users can no longer use NNEDI3. I'm sorry about that, but making the new code XP/Vista capable would have been too much work and not worth the effort, IMHO. Go upgrade to Windows 7 (or newer). It's about time.

Since the new interop is brand new, don't be surprised if there are some new bugs. It does work well on my PC, though.

2) madVR can now "notify the media player about cropped black bars". Basically that means that in non-fullscreen windowed playback mode the media player can now automatically adjust the window size in such a way that no black bars are part of the window at all, anymore. Some media players do this better than others, though. Here's a list of media players with recommend settings to make use of this new feature:

MPC-HC & MPC-BE:
Player -> Limit window proportions on resize
Playback -> Auto-zoom: "100%" or "Autofit"

ZoomPlayer:
Interface -> Position & Size -> Auto-Size User Interface to maintain Video Aspect Ratio (when resizing)
Interface -> Position & Size -> Auto-Size User Interface to fit Source Video Resolution (on load)

PotPlayer:
Playback -> Aspect Ratio -> Fit Window to Image Size

These 4 media players do (more or less) already work well with the new madVR feature. MPC-HC & MPC-BE do this best, although both still have room to improve here, as well. ZoomPlayer and PotPlayer don't auto resize their window if madVR tells them to, but at least they adjust the window size to the video when you resize the window. So it's partially working.

Most other media players don't support the new feature. Which means the new feature will simply have no effect on them at all.

3) Most of the other zoom control features are fully implemented now. Give them a try!

4) For those who need it, you can now create profiles in the "device" section.
Old 20th September 2015, 21:34   #32971  |  Link
retrue

Madshi, you say that you are using now D3D11 for NNEDI3 "NNEDI3/OpenCL now uses D3D11 interop instead of D3D9 interop"
What happens with people like me with old cards that are not compatible with D3D11?
Would it not be possible that madVR would use D3D9 for NNEDI3 is D3D11 is not available?
I hope I am not saying or asking something silly ^^;
And thanks for your hard work =)
retrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 21:39   #32972  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i already used that on a 120 Hz screen this is not usable. the brightness drops way to low. so for proper viewing there has to be a way to counter this. i wouldn't be shocked if the whole gamma curve is not correct anymore.
What you tried is probably simple black frame insertion. There are better ways to do that. E.g. you could "overdrive" the visible frames, and use dark frames instead of black frames. The clipped highlights from the "overdriven" frames could then be added back to the dark frames, so no information is lost. Also you could limit the overdrive/darken to image parts that are moving. I've had many ideas like that, but it's all useless with low refresh rates. So not really worth drooling over atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrue View Post
Madshi, you say that you are using now D3D11 for NNEDI3 "NNEDI3/OpenCL now uses D3D11 interop instead of D3D9 interop"
What happens with people like me with old cards that are not compatible with D3D11?
Would it not be possible that madVR would use D3D9 for NNEDI3 is D3D11 is not available?
Have you tried the new build? D3D11 supports D3D9 GPUs, so in theory it could still work. Haven't tested it, though.
Old 20th September 2015, 22:02   #32973  |  Link
CiNcH

Quote:
Can you retry with v0.89.3? If the problem still occurs with that build, maybe you could create a new log with v0.89.3 for me?
OK, I used DVBViewer Pro in windowed mode (1024x576). So I started the DVBViewer Pro on Sky Atlantic HD (1080i) and switched between this channel and Sky Emotion (576i) and I could not reproduce it easily (or maybe not at all).

I then switched to FSE (1080p50) and it was suddenly easily reproducible...

Quote:
Then close the media player immediately without switching to another station.
That's a problem because when i am in FSE mode I can't get out of it any longer. I can still switch the channel with the remote and I can hear audio change, but video and OSD are totally frozen. Only with CTRL+ALT+DEL can I get out of FSE, putting the DVBViewer/madVR back to windowed mode. This also makes video playback go on for some reason as if nothing was wrong. So I reproduced the issue, let it run in the bad state for 20s, went back to windowed mode with CTRL+ALT+DEL (which again solved the freeze) and closed the DVBViewer (so no more channel change after the 20s freeze). Hope that's fine with you. Last switch to 1080i broke BTW, image froze on 576i channel with Mini EPG OSD on, audio of the new channel appeared.

madVR - log

Hope this helps.

Back to 0.88.16 for now .

Last edited by CiNcH; 20th September 2015 at 22:47.
CiNcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:06   #32974  |  Link
Dlget

after updating madVR to 0.89.3,now when i open video it plays fine.
But when i got to full screen,player freezes (no madVR debug window,just player freezes & shows wait or close MPC-BE 1.4.5 build 764 beta)
may be something to do with black bar????is it normal that switching from fullscreen windowed mode to windowed mode is slower after blackbar detection.
is there any way to disable black bar detection & that zoom control completely??
2:45am here,so i'll test with settings tomorrow
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:06   #32975  |  Link
aufkrawall

Performance with D3D11 interop seems to be fine.
I'm not sure if I could do Adaptive Sharpen on top of 1080p30-> 4k -> WQHD 64 neurons before. Maybe I'm confusing this with the GTX 970 I hard before (now 980), at least it seems to be working well.
, madshi. It's still nice to have a program that you set&forget and it does the job.

So, it's using nv_d3d11_sharing now on Nvidia?
Wouldn't it be safer to use the khr_d3d10 extension? Maybe they won't ever delete it, as it's the only Khronos extension for this?
But just wild guessing.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:11   #32976  |  Link
Hprd

I get a total freeze (have to use task manager to kill player) when using image doubling/quadrupling regardless of the type of scaling that's used. Video completely freezes after 2-3 seconds. Playback is fine without it on. Win 10 x64, gtx 770, NVidia yada yada (not the very lastest driver, but I'm not sure what's really changed in the few updates in the last month and a half? Maybe that is it though) MPC-BE, latest beta (89.2 worked just fine with it).
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:25   #32977  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
1) NNEDI3 now uses a different interop interface, which seems to perform slightly faster for NVidia and quite noticeably faster for AMD. Also it should work with newer NVidia drivers on Windows 10. I haven't tested yet whether the interop problem is gone for AMD, but there's a good chance that it is.
working great on my nvidia. but no performance boost on my AMD r9 270.

so it looks like the interop issue is still there.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:33   #32978  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Adaptive Sharpen next week. Not sure if there is a new (luma) SuperRes version to update to. But I did plan to work a bit on SuperRes. Might take a bit, though.
I don't think MPDN's version has changed that much since the last time. No matter what I try I keep reverting to the 'old' version since it still seems to give the most natural / accurate result (unless you tweak it for one particular image, but that's not really useful). I'm still searching for a good way to soften the image though.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:43   #32979  |  Link
Dlget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprd View Post
I get a total freeze (have to use task manager to kill player) when using image doubling/quadrupling regardless of the type of scaling that's used.
Hmmm.Same here
both super-xbr & nnedi3 not working in image doubling(not tested nedi)
super xbr works fine with croma upscaling.Nnedi3 not working anywhere not even croma upscaling.

using gtx 960 355.82

if i use nnedi3 for croma up,player freezes after 2-3s even in normal mode & fullscreen
any setting in doubling causes freeze only in fullscreen.(not using FSE & haven't tested that)
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 22:52   #32980  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
I don't think MPDN's version has changed that much since the last time. No matter what I try I keep reverting to the 'old' version since it still seems to give the most natural / accurate result
I really like the Github version as a kind of sharpening that doesn't brighten things up when resizing from 1080p to WQHD.
Gives me the impression like if there was no upscaling.

But for the near future it's also good to have newer AS version.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling