Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 11th June 2018, 19:38   #521  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
And the reason is?
I have no reports or suggestions about cineform.

> Any chance we will be seeing x265 (Fully Supported, All Flags and options)? or x265 with Nvidia GPU enabled?

Currently I don't plan it. x265 with Nvidia: this thing does not even exist afaik.

> Not sure if you still going to add Rec.2020 and HDR10 Support

I prefer to message when it's done.
x265 with Nvida does exist. It's just NVEnc, the SDK I uploaded contains examples of it.

If you ever add HDR x265 is required along with certain Flags.
Revan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 19:53   #522  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

How many more times? Again and again, over and over...

If you let Nvidia's PureVideo chip encode HEVC video, it is not x265. The point of x265 is the complexity of the calculations PureVideo can never provide. NVEnc may produce HEVC video. But it will never be x265.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 21:53   #523  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Are we talking about x265 as in the specific encoder here, or using it to refer to HEVC/H.265? Just trying to work out what everyone's saying...
Old 11th June 2018, 22:18   #524  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

That's the important difference.

There are many HEVC / H.265 encoders out there. But not all of them can be implemented into VirtualDub2, based on libraries available to ffmpeg (e.g. most of them are not available as source code): x265 is one of them, but it will not use any GPU encoding. GPU encoders like NVEnc may be available too, where the hardware supports it, but it won't compete with the efficiency (quality retention per bitrate) of x265.

HEVC encoding in a GPU is way too limiting: less available RAM to store many frames to compare with each other to find similarities; slow uploading of the frames from system RAM into video RAM; limited set of instructions in the GPU, optimized rather for 3D graphics than for video compression ... using SSE, AVX and other modern SIMD instruction sets, and having possibly more than 8 GB RAM available with rather fast access, is much more interesting for video compression with good quality preservation, which requires a higher complexity in the encoding process.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 22:58   #525  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
That's the important difference.

There are many HEVC / H.265 encoders out there. But not all of them can be implemented into VirtualDub2, based on libraries available to ffmpeg (e.g. most of them are not available as source code): x265 is one of them, but it will not use any GPU encoding. GPU encoders like NVEnc may be available too, where the hardware supports it, but it won't compete with the efficiency (quality retention per bitrate) of x265.

HEVC encoding in a GPU is way too limiting: less available RAM to store many frames to compare with each other to find similarities; slow uploading of the frames from system RAM into video RAM; limited set of instructions in the GPU, optimized rather for 3D graphics than for video compression ... using SSE, AVX and other modern SIMD instruction sets, and having possibly more than 8 GB RAM available with rather fast access, is much more interesting for video compression with good quality preservation, which requires a higher complexity in the encoding process.
There is x265VFW, However it's limited when it comes to pixel type.

Maybe can just use the GPU as acceleration option. Since x265 can be taxing on a system.

Or an option to use external encoder while in capture mode. Right now all the codecs are pretty much useless to me since I need to add additional flags to the codecs and there no option for that (Except for x264).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
Are we talking about x265 as in the specific encoder here, or using it to refer to HEVC/H.265? Just trying to work out what everyone's saying...
Just a reference to HEVC.
Revan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 20:10   #526  |  Link
Yanak

Hello,

I'm trying to use a mkv containing a .hevc 4.2.0 10bits file inside virtualdub2, and exporting via the frameserver to a .vdr file and then trying to open it in Staxrip.

The .vdr file imports in Staxrip, i can see the length of the file being correct but all the frames are returned black, until now i always used 8bits videos and with those there is no problems using avisource in avisynth+ for .vdr files.

Vdub2 in automatic mode for the decode format sets it to YUV420P16 apparently ( file information in vdub2 says yuv420p10le ), tried to set it manually to YUV420P10 but still black frames returned in avisource, if i set the decode format to RGB24 it returns the frames normally, not black i mean, but at this point i didn't tried to compare colors vs original frames to see if there is some errors.

I saw there is the possibility to set the pixel_type for avisource but trying YUV420P16 or YUV420P10 still return black frames on the .vdr file, tried also to use things like fourCC="Y3[11][10]" in the avisource filter but seems to have no effect, still black frames.

I'm a bit lost in this now and not sure if it comes from avisynth or from the .vdr file exported by the frameserver and possible problems with 10 bits content,

If anyone have an idea about this please,

Thanks a lot.
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 20:47   #527  |  Link
shekh

Hello,
I see this problem, investigating.

Frameserving always uses RGBA output format. Currently you can fix it by adding a filter "convert format (RGBA32)". There is nothing to do on avisource side.

edit: actually, frameserver outputs RGB24 but the workaround is good anyway.
edit2: fixed in new build.

Last edited by shekh; 22nd July 2018 at 23:31.
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 06:00   #528  |  Link
Yanak

Hello,

Thank you very much for the quick reply, (sorry for the late reply, had to go out in emergency just after posting this yesterday), i understand now, will try the new build and use convert to rgb24.

Thanks again for all
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:35   #529  |  Link
color

I did use Virtualdub2 for a few days without any problems, but today, all videos is shown in the left preview window, but the right one is grey. I have not done anything with the codecs or changed any options. Tried to uncheck DirectX and restarted the program and windows without any luck.
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:50   #530  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
I did use Virtualdub2 for a few days without any problems, but today, all videos is shown in the left preview window, but the right one is grey. I have not done anything with the codecs or changed any options. Tried to uncheck DirectX and restarted the program and windows without any luck.
Have you unchecked "View->Output video pane"?
Old 24th July 2018, 10:14   #531  |  Link
color

sekh, oh, haha. Yes it was unchecked. I saw It was "F10" Its the same button to change audio on my keyboard but pressing "fn"-button, I guess that might be why. Thank you.
Old 3rd August 2018, 21:55   #532  |  Link
kolak

Could we have bayer 12bit pixel format added, so after loading CR RAW files we could render them (eg as RGB 12 or 16bit) keeping Bayer pattern? This would need bypass Cineform own debayering, but I know there is such an option in Cineform SDK.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 16:38   #533  |  Link
lansing

Hi I want to track down an annoying bug in capture mode myself, I cloned the project and opened the VirtualDub.sln with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017. How do I build it for testing? I choose "build solution" but it failed with message about "build tool for v140_xp can not be found". What else do I need?

Update: I found the solution here, I can install it through the visual studio installer, but I don't have 5 GB in my hard drive...is there a way to get around this?

Last edited by lansing; 6th August 2018 at 16:59.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 07:38   #534  |  Link
lansing

I filed a ticket for this issue instead, I just couldn't squeeze out enough hard drive to install all the programs.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 09:58   #535  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Hi I want to track down an annoying bug in capture mode myself, I cloned the project and opened the VirtualDub.sln with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017. How do I build it for testing? I choose "build solution" but it failed with message about "build tool for v140_xp can not be found". What else do I need?
These instructions should work: https://github.com/shekh/VirtualDub2...r/BUILDING.txt

It is not necessary to use v140_xp toolset, you can change it to v140 or whatever is already installed. It will not run on XP but you should not care. See VirtualDub project properties, general, toolset.

Also replied to ticket.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:03   #536  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Could we have bayer 12bit pixel format added, so after loading CR RAW files we could render them (eg as RGB 12 or 16bit) keeping Bayer pattern? This would need bypass Cineform own debayering, but I know there is such an option in Cineform SDK.
It is possible. Can you describe in more detail how would you use this?
Do you want to save it again as bayer format, or apply some custom debayering outside VD?
Old 10th August 2018, 18:58   #537  |  Link
kolak

Ideally I would like to convert CinemaDNG RAW into CF RAW
Converting TIFF with RAW data into CF RAW would be already cool. I can convert CDNG RAW with dcraw tool into "RAW" TIFF.
Decoding CF RAW and exporting as 12bit uncompressed file keeping RAW look for testing purposes should be easy to implement.

Last edited by kolak; 10th August 2018 at 19:06.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 01:47   #538  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

This is very minor, but I've noticed that pressing Alt doesn't activate the menu bar as it would in most other Windows software. If I hold Alt and press F, it does open the File menu, but if I separately press Alt, and then F, it doesn't. Is this deliberate?
Old 11th August 2018, 09:12   #539  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
This is very minor, but I've noticed that pressing Alt doesn't activate the menu bar as it would in most other Windows software. If I hold Alt and press F, it does open the File menu, but if I separately press Alt, and then F, it doesn't. Is this deliberate?
Mistake in hotkey handling, fixing. Thanks for report.
Old 11th August 2018, 12:03   #540  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Ideally I would like to convert CinemaDNG RAW into CF RAW
Converting TIFF with RAW data into CF RAW would be already cool. I can convert CDNG RAW with dcraw tool into "RAW" TIFF.
Decoding CF RAW and exporting as 12bit uncompressed file keeping RAW look for testing purposes should be easy to implement.
After some experimenting:
"dcraw -6 -E" creates non-interpolated bayer image from dng etc that looks quite the same as CFHD_PIXEL_FORMAT_BYR4 image extracted from cineform. So this part is trivial, and likely no problem to compress such image to cineform raw format. But what about metadata, does cineform raw without any relevant metadata make sense? Translating the metadata could be a challenge.
Also not sure about CinemaDNG but to import DNG sequences it would require a new source plugin, as nothing like that seems integrated with FFMpeg already. Such plugin can be derived from dcraw or from gopro/gpr (maybe from both). This needs some effort, not promising now.