Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st October 2020, 16:25   #60361  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the correct way to use it is to add only native resolutions like this:
2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60.

the composition rate is unrelated to this the player has no way to change that it the rate the desktop runs at and it a little bit buggy in win 10.

what is the screen even can it even do 23p?
Thank you for replying!

The screen can definitely do 23hz, I set it there all the time.

The composition rate DID change when madvr switched to 1080p - so madvr did have an impact on the composition rate.

Would just like to do it at 4k. Never switch down to 1080p, just make the composition rate 23.976 at the 4k level.
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2020, 18:35   #60362  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
PC monitor AW34WD calibrated to ~100 nits for SDR blu-rays.
You mean AW3420DW? It is advertised at 350 nits, but rtings says that after calibration it only reaches 247. That should be the number for target peak nits if you want the SDR conversion to have the same brightness level as the HDR would have. If you want a brighter image you can reduce it, but in your case I wouldn't go further than 125.

Also make sure to use madVR's dynamic tone mapping (check "measure each frame's peak luminance") and set the backlight to max. In the new betas there are a lot more options, but they shouldn't alter this too much.
Old 21st October 2020, 18:49   #60363  |  Link
LordX2

Quick update,

I set the two resolutions for madvr to 2160p23, 2160p24

The composition rate is 23.980 when playing at my native resolution.

When I set the resolution in madvr command line to 1080p23, I obviously notice the res change when I play the file, and the composition rate is then 23.976 exactly, even though the refresh rate is still 23.980.

I would like to achieve this composition rate at the 4k level, without having to switch to 1080p.

Final issue - when madvr changes to 1080p, it doesn't automatically start playing the file, I have to hit space to start it... I sat there staring at a blank screen for like 30 seconds last night wondering if the program froze.... ahahahahah
Old 21st October 2020, 19:18   #60364  |  Link
Asmodian

I would rather have the composition rate match the refresh rate, it isn't good when they differ. I think your 1080p results are where it goes wrong, not 4K.
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:21   #60365  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I would rather have the composition rate match the refresh rate, it isn't good when they differ. I think your 1080p results are where it goes wrong, not 4K.
It's weird, cuz if I set my gpu to the 23.98hz mode, it matches the composition rate.

But if I use full screen exclusive mode, the composition rate shows 60hz, but the screen is still running 23.98hz.

it matches only in regular full screen.
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:09   #60366  |  Link
ND2560

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You can adjust HDR brightness this way:
madvr settings > devices > hdr > tone map hdr using pixel shaders > target peak nits

Lower values gives brighter image.
Hey thanks for the help!

Sadly I tried changing it from 200 to 190/150/50 but see no change when watching a hdr file/video....
Think I will give it up and up the brightness on my projector.
ND2560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2020, 01:21   #60367  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
But if I use full screen exclusive mode, the composition rate shows 60hz, but the screen is still running 23.98hz.
Yes, FSE usually does more harm than good in recent Windows 10 builds.
Old 22nd October 2020, 19:42   #60368  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
It's weird, cuz if I set my gpu to the 23.98hz mode, it matches the composition rate. But if I use full screen exclusive mode, the composition rate shows 60hz, but the screen is still running 23.98hz.
Isn't that expected behaviour because composition rate is the rate of the DWM, and exclusive mode bypasses it?
Old 23rd October 2020, 04:18   #60369  |  Link
huhn

i bypasses is in older windows version not in newer one it's pretty much windowed mode in win 10.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 04:40   #60370  |  Link
LordX2

Best settings for 4k Remux in terms of Frame Drops/Glitches

So, I am finally migrating to MadVR for my HDR REMUX content since I realized you can do the setting for the NITS so it doesn't pass HDR to my projector (which is super dim with hdr!).

I have the screen refresh at 23.97612 (give or take the last two decimals) now for when I watch 23.976 content.

Shows one frame drop every 1.1 hours - so it looks like I will still get a drop during a 2 hour movie. (edit - after 1 hour and 45 mins, only one additional frame drop shows, wasn't watching, so don't know if it was noticeable, but the presentation glitches remained the same!).

Any other settings I should have on for such high bit rate content? Buffers/cache/etc etc? And is there a way to avoid that frame drop or it is what it is?

PS - Speaking of glitches etc, every time I start MPC/MadVR, there are a few frames dropped/repeated and a glitch shows up on the counter. Is there a way to not have this happen right when a file starts? Or reset the counter during playback?

PPS - same thing when I hover the mouse to get the time bar at the bottom of the screen. When it appears, there is a noticeable 'glitch/hop' to the video. Like it's having a hard time 'drawing' the slider while a movie is playing. Is there a way to correct this? Make the bar at the bottom lower res etc?
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:14   #60371  |  Link
Asmodian

Try two or three frames presented in advanced in the windowed mode settings. Also try faster settings, sometimes I see presentation glitches when the reported average render times are somewhat close to, but still below, the frame time (sorry, not sure if you already did).

ctrl-r is the default hotkey to reset the stats.

The method to render that time tool tip does seem to interact badly. I disabled that feature so I don't accidentally trigger it.
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:14   #60372  |  Link
huhn

bit rate of a file is irrelevant madVR handles the decoded frames which have the same size independent of encoded bit rate. defaults are usually fine and without knowing the hardware you are using there is no way to recommend anything.

when the playbar is called madVR doesn't have exclusive right to the desktop anymore so it has to change the rendering state which creates a hick up this depends on a lot of settings overlay presentation for example doesn't but it can do 10 bit.

you can reset the OSD by pressing control +r.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:57   #60373  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Try two or three frames presented in advanced in the windowed mode settings. Also try faster settings, sometimes I see presentation glitches when the reported average render times are somewhat close to, but still below, the frame time (sorry, not sure if you already did).

ctrl-r is the default hotkey to reset the stats.

The method to render that time tool tip does seem to interact badly. I disabled that feature so I don't accidentally trigger it.
Interesting - so by displaying 2 to 3 frames 'in advance', when one is dropped, I wont notice it. Is that the gist? And what do you mean by 'faster settings'? The display is still technically 'faster' than the frame rate - even if it is only 0.00012 faster.

It looks like the settings are already at 8 frames when I checked. Both in windowed and exclusive. Is that too many?

What is the default mode? Windowed or exclusive? Which should be used with Windows 10 64bit?

Hardware:
Core i7-3770
Nvidia 1650 Super
16GB Ram
1TB Samsung SSD

Last edited by LordX2; 23rd October 2020 at 06:04.
Old 23rd October 2020, 06:59   #60374  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
Interesting - so by displaying 2 to 3 frames 'in advance', when one is dropped, I wont notice it. Is that the gist?
No, he means it may resolve one or two of the issues you listed.

Quote:
And what do you mean by 'faster settings'? The display is still technically 'faster' than the frame rate - even if it is only 0.00012 faster.
Anything that is less demanding on your graphics card, he means changing the scalers or removing some post-processing, choosing lower quality options etc.

Quote:
It looks like the settings are already at 8 frames when I checked. Both in windowed and exclusive. Is that too many?
Oftentimes you can get away with lower queues and can be less problematic.

Quote:
What is the default mode? Windowed or exclusive? Which should be used with Windows 10 64bit?
Use Windowed.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:22   #60375  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Oftentimes you can get away with lower queues and can be less problematic.

Use Windowed.
I was using GPU-Z to watch the graphics card during playback - and it is hovering around 10%. So ironically, I was going to ask about which performance settings I may be able to INCREASE. I noticed there was a whole section dedicated to 'sacrifice quality for performance'. Is there are particular setting here that would make the most difference? e.g. the FIRST thing I should uncheck if I have an ok video card.

Lastly, I set D3D11 for hardware decoding in LAV filters. It had two options, one for AUTO, and the other was to select the video card, thereby forcing copyback. Do either of these make a difference? Is one better for MadVR over the other?

I really appreciate all the responses, thank you!
Old 23rd October 2020, 15:55   #60376  |  Link
chros

About the 2nd question.
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:36   #60377  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
About the 2nd question.
Thank you! I browsed that forum topic, noticed the differences in CPU/GPU usage - but didn't see any explained benefit quality wise. I recall reading somewhere on these forums that copyback is needed for MadVR to apply all of its filtering/chroma etc. Is that an accurate statement?
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:43   #60378  |  Link
Asmodian

Copyback is needed for some features, but not most of madVR's filtering and none of its scaling.

You need copyback for black bar removal and IVTC, but that is it.
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:54   #60379  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
every time I start MPC/MadVR, there are a few frames dropped/repeated and a glitch shows up on the counter. Is there a way to not have this happen right when a file starts? Or reset the counter during playback?
I'm not sure if the problem is it's bothering you or just that the counter was taking that into account, but if it's bothering you, you can try ticking "delay playback start until render queue is full" in general settings. There's also an option to do that too when seeking. It will add a small delay when starting playback and seeking, but should avoid dropped frames or glitches during those moments.
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:14   #60380  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Copyback is needed for some features, but not most of madVR's filtering and none of its scaling.

You need copyback for black bar removal and IVTC, but that is it.
You also need copyback for bd/uhd bd menus in jRiver, for those who use it as a player or front end and want menus.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling