Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2006, 23:20   #61  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@xyncro

This means that SubtitleCreator has problems opening your subtitle file.
Could you send it to me (Private Message) so that I check.

Also you can tell SubtitleCreator not to load automatically the last opened file at startup.

Settings -> Automatically load...
Settings -> Save Settings

Cheers

EDIT : I've looked at your srt file. The problems comes from subtitle 1167: "Slut<!". When SubtitleCreator finds a '<', he expects the corresponding '>'. If possible just remove the '<' char and it will work. We will try to fix this in next version of SC.

Manusse

Last edited by manusse; 30th September 2006 at 10:48.
manusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 15:28   #62  |  Link
Mr Cool Span

no audio in SubtitleCreator preview

Can some one plays help me?
I got this annoying problem
When I open a dvd in SubtitleCreator preview everything works fine except for the audio, I get no sound at all? And that makes sync of a subtile a little difficult
The SubtitleCreator ver I use is 2.0.5
Thanks
Mr Cool Span is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 23:32   #63  |  Link
xyncro

Manusse.. thx for your help..
xyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 23:44   #64  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@Mr Cool Span

SubtitleCreator uses the default audio decoder that comes with your DVD decoder.

Do you have a DVD decoder installed?

Cheers
Manusse
Old 1st October 2006, 07:00   #65  |  Link
Mr Cool Span

Quote:
Originally Posted by manusse View Post
SubtitleCreator uses the default audio decoder that comes with your DVD decoder.

Do you have a DVD decoder installed?

Cheers
Manusse
Yes i got powerdvd and Nero showtime
Old 1st October 2006, 13:41   #66  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@Mr Cool Span

Hi,

Could you first try to devalidate the overlay and play a DVD to see if it works or not:

Settings -> Check that "Overlay subtitles on DVD" is not checked.

Then Settings -> Save Settings.

Then restart SC and play your DVD. Check if there is sound or not. Tell me the result in this thread.

Cheers
Manusse
Old 1st October 2006, 14:04   #67  |  Link
Mr Cool Span

Quote:
Originally Posted by manusse View Post
Hi,

Could you first try to devalidate the overlay and play a DVD to see if it works or not:

Settings -> Check that "Overlay subtitles on DVD" is not checked.

Then Settings -> Save Settings.

Then restart SC and play your DVD. Check if there is sound or not. Tell me the result in this thread.

Cheers
Manusse
Sorry m8
I have fund the bug
It was the ff codec, after uninstall it all works just great
Thanx for the helpe and im sorry to take you time
Old 4th October 2006, 07:33   #68  |  Link
vlada

Hello, I think there is quite a lot of confusion regarding AR of video in Subtitle Creator. I remember how I was completely lost before I did some tests and learned how subtitles on DVD work.

I have a suggestion on improving the way, how subtitle position should be displayed. I think the user should first select, if he has a 16:9 or 4:3 TV. Then he should select movie AR. The picture should be then displayed with correct AR and also the window for subtitle position should be adjusted according to the selected TV type.

If it is possible, the subtitles should be horizontally stretched if the users selects a 16:9 TV. Because they will be displayed so.

Currently the window which displays subtitle position is always 5:4. So if I select for example 16:9, the subtitle position is displayed absolutely wrong. If you don't understand what I mean, I can post some screenshots.

Also I don't understand, what should the switch Anamorfic/Letterbox do. I doesen't make to much sense for me.
vlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 17:40   #69  |  Link
Paulcat

vlada

What if you are watching a 16:9 dvd on a regular 4:3 television?

Paddington: Another thing I noted the other day, if I play a video file with a subtitle file in text (.srt) format with vobsub active, it allows a subtitle to remain on the screen and a second one to overlap if the start time of the second sub is earlier than the stop time of the first. For example:

00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:03,000
This is the first title which ends at 3 seconds

00:00:02,000 --> 00:00:04,000
This sub starts at 2 seconds, before the last one ends

Can subtitle creator be set to correct (or flag) the timing of subs in this case? And, as an aside, does the start time of sub #2 have to be 1 msec after the end of sub #1 or can the times be exactly the same?

---

I have also been working on some text subs in which some lines are quite long, I set the subtitle window to 700 pixels wide with a space of 10 on each side, and in the completed project, the start and end of some words were offscreen. Is there a "tv-safe" limit to the size of the window?

Paul
Paulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 17:59   #70  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@Paulcat

Hi Paulcat,

Could you just explain what you mean by "with vobsub active".

As SubtitleCreator doesn't use vobsub to overlay the subtitles I don't see your point?

[Edit] Also I've checked you example and it seems SC is fixing the srt file automatically!

Cheers
Manusse

Last edited by manusse; 4th October 2006 at 18:04.
Old 4th October 2006, 22:02   #71  |  Link
vlada

Paulcat> If you are watcing 16:9 DVD on a 4:3 TV, the subtitles should look like this:

What wasn't clear to you?
Old 5th October 2006, 10:12   #72  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulcat View Post
Can subtitle creator be set to correct (or flag) the timing of subs in this case? And, as an aside, does the start time of sub #2 have to be 1 msec after the end of sub #1 or can the times be exactly the same?

---

I have also been working on some text subs in which some lines are quite long, I set the subtitle window to 700 pixels wide with a space of 10 on each side, and in the completed project, the start and end of some words were offscreen. Is there a "tv-safe" limit to the size of the window?
Paul
About the first point: doesn't SC already correct this if you turn it on - if I remember correctly (not guaranteed :-) the start frame of the next subtitle should at least be later than the end time of the previous subtitle.
About the difference of 1msec - since everything is frame based, it will take at least 3ms for each frame, so don't worry about that.

About the second question: Settings|Show Frame Markers allows you to show some safe areas.
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 17:10   #73  |  Link
Paulcat

Whew

Vlada:

I was being sarcastic, sorry! I think you mean that even with a widescreen film, the subtitle position changes depending if you are watching it on a standard or widescreen television, and when you are working with SC you cannot account for that.

How does your current dvd player play subs from commercial dvd's? If your dvd player is set up for a 16:9 television, doesn't the player automatically adjust the subtitle position beyond anyone's ability to adjust it in subtitle creator?

Manusse:

I often subtitle from avi files, and I use media player classic which will display .srt subtitles over the video (if vobsub is installed) to check the subtitle timing. Vobsub will not correct the start/end times and allow two subs to overlap, which won't happen on a dvd, so I was wondering what SC would do with a "nonstandard' srt file, but you've already answered that!

Paddington:

So that's what Show Frame Markers does...sheeit...now the question I have is why is there two? Is the inner one a safe area and the outer one a cautionary area? And I see what vlada is discussing more clearly too, if you could flip between 16:9 tv and 4:3 tv, you could see whether or not your subs look equally well positioned on both types of tv's (assuming you would be willing to lend out your dvd to people who have differently shaped televisions from you...!)

Paul
Paulcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 19:22   #74  |  Link
vlada

Paulcat> I don't own a standalone DVD player, but I create quite often DVDs for my friend. They have different types of TVs and of course I want to have perfect subtitles. I know how to create them in SC. But it is very confusing for an inexperienced user.

I created here a thread concerning subtitle positioning on PC. It might be interesting for you.

Anyway the fact is, that a standalone player uses (or at least should) different subtitle streams when it is connected to a 4:3 and 16:9 TV. So you need to create 2 subtitle streams for each language/size/colour etc., if you have a widescreen movie. If you don't the subtitles won't look correct. They will be deformed on one of the 2 TV types.
Old 12th October 2006, 05:19   #75  |  Link
tomywong

Paddington :

Can you update CVS site too ? It is SC v2.04 at the moment. Thank you.
tomywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 08:32   #76  |  Link
changjunk

The other subtitle format support

Hi,

I would like to ask to support another type format rather than sup. I've enjoyed a custom Korean subtitled DVD with Muxmand and SC for a long time.

However sometime Muxman refuse to muxing due to high video bitrate. So I have to try another DVD authoring tool and faced on the troulble with subtile. There are a lot of tool that can make sst or son file format. However the quality of subtitle is poor compare with SC.

If SC can support sst or son file format in the future, I'll be VERY happy!

TIA.
changjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 11:10   #77  |  Link
Mtz

When muxman will not create some IFO because "high bitrate", it already created the all VOBs files needed for you.
Because you have the all vobs you just need the IFO. Use for this IFOEdit and "Create IFOs". IFOs will be created, but no information about languages used in the audio and subtitles tracks. I think you can add this info with IFOEdit or PGCEdit.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 21:28   #78  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

@tomywong

Paddington has moved the files under SVN.
You will always find the latest version under Subversion as we use it to share source code.

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/subtitlecreator/

@changjunk

I am preparing the compatibility (in and out) with sub/idx (i.e. vobsub files). Maybe it can help you.

Cheers
Manusse

Last edited by manusse; 12th October 2006 at 21:30.
Old 13th October 2006, 09:20   #79  |  Link
tomywong

manusse :

Thank you, I got it. Now, SC mostly maintain by you ?
tomywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 17:18   #80  |  Link
manusse
SubtitleCreator's Co-Dev

Hi tomywong,

No, SC is maintained by Paddington.

I've developped the DirectShow filter used by SC (>=2.0.0) for overlaying the subtitles. So I know SC a bit and I am trying to help when I think I know the answer.

Cheers
Manusse